Author Topic: $150 cash back for new Chase card  (Read 6901 times)

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
$150 cash back for new Chase card
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »
If anyone is interested, there is a new Chase card - the Chase Freedom Unlimited - that is offering $150 cash back for $500 in purchases in the first 3 months.  There is an additional $25 reward if you add an authorized user in the first 3 months as well.  I'm assuming that you can apply even if you have a Chase Freedom card, since it is technically a different card, but I haven't actually completed the application yet.

It is 1.5% cash back, so for general purchases it is actually better than my AmEx cash back card on everything besides gas and groceries, I might keep it after I get that free money.

Didn't want to post a link, but if you Google the card name it comes right up.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
Re: $150 cash back for new Chase card
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Yes, unfortunately I was denied due to Chase's 5/24 rule.

rgregory

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »
That's a great bonus, $150 is the highest bonus I've heard of for a credit card application recently. If you'd like the highest cash back for general purchases you should go with Citi Double Cash Card though. It gives 2% cash back. I have found this page at magnify money to be really useful in finding the best cash back cards in any category. Check it out if your interested!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
@JZinCO - I had no idea a limit like that existed, that's too bad.  We've only opened one new card in the last 2 years (although the next two are at 2 years 2 months), so I'm considering just opening one for me and one for DH, so we can get $300 instead of $150.

That's a great link, @rgregory.  I currently have the Amex Blue Cash Preferred for the 6% on groceries and 3% on the one tank of gas I buy a month, but it only gives 1% on other purchases.  DH has a travel rewards card that he uses for work travel so someday we can go somewhere awesome for mostly free.  We've also got a Lowe's card (5% off at Lowes) and a Target debit card (5% off plus free shipping), so I feel like we're doing a decent job at taking advantage of cash back/brand discounts overall.  I forgot about the Citi Double Cash Card.  It is just such an odd dynamic that I only ever think "why don't they just give you 2% back for purchases?" when I hear the commercials.  I forget that many people never pay the whole balance back, so Citi wins in the end.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
That's a great bonus, $150 is the highest bonus I've heard of for a credit card application recently. If you'd like the highest cash back for general purchases you should go with Citi Double Cash Card though. It gives 2% cash back. I have found this page at magnify money to be really useful in finding the best cash back cards in any category. Check it out if your interested!

You really haven't been around much.

Those were just the cash signup bonus cards that I could remember off the top of my head. There's plenty of cards with signup bonuses of 50k miles/points that are worth more than $200 assuming you actually travel.

rgregory

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
@Johnny847 Your right, it's only been the last 6 months I have been learning about credit card rewards. How did you find those deals? I just recently signed up for the Chase Freedom card and only got $100 bonus (I'm not too bummed about that seeing as it's been a whole year since they have offered $200). I also got the BoA Cash Rewards card, but it wasn't co branded so only $100. I've been thinking my next card will be the AARP card, but had only found a $100 bonus before. So I'm curious, how did you find these? Also I'm curious about the travel rewards cards as well, but I can't do a card that requires me to spend much more than a $1,000 in three months.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:15:37 PM »
Almost exclusively from Doctor of Credit (my links were to his blog). I'm subscribed to his RSS feed.

If you want to easily meet min spend requirements, google manufactured spending (MS). There's an entire world of MSing out there.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:42:14 PM »
Almost exclusively from Doctor of Credit (my links were to his blog). I'm subscribed to his RSS feed.

If you want to easily meet min spend requirements, google manufactured spending (MS). There's an entire world of MSing out there.

Short of buying visa/amex prepaid cards, are there still reliable MS options out there? (without jumping through hoops or arbitraging gift card resale values)
I have $1000 to spend in order to meet AmEx requirements (in order to receive 50K points, or $500 worth in store gift cards, yesss).

rgregory, if you like cash bonuses I can tell you that I would recommend Chase aarp, BoA bankamericad, discover it, capital one's flagship card and citi dbl cash.
DoC will also usually tell you if your offer is a good one historically, or you can always google "Name of card sign up bonus" to see what past bonuses have posted. Some other group, maybe magnify money, has also found that bonus sign ups are lowest in Jan and rise in May, then in the late Fall.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »

Short of buying visa/amex prepaid cards, are there still reliable MS options out there? (without jumping through hoops or arbitraging gift card resale values)
I have $1000 to spend in order to meet AmEx requirements (in order to receive 50K points, or $500 worth in store gift cards, yesss).

Not that I know of. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. It also depends on what your definition of a hoop is.

As a side note, I sell merchant gift cards for profit, not for MS.

hollis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 06:32:13 PM »
Thanks!  Just signed up. 

I got $150 when I joined on the regular freedom card last year.   Nice to get another $150.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!