Author Topic: $1000 unloading junk on Cragslist  (Read 6188 times)

malacca

• Bristles
$1000 unloading junk on Cragslist
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:10:48 AM »
Getting rid unneeded shite. Amazing what people will pay for your junk.

Ironfist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: $1000 unloading junk on Cragslist
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »
Yeah, you'd be surprised at how much money is just sitting around your house.  My biggest issue is I don't have the time to deal with people on CL.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:36:39 AM »
Yeah, you'd be surprised at how much money is just sitting around your house.  My biggest issue is I don't have the time to deal with people on CL.

++

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
I've been foisting "Deal with craigslist people" on to my husband because a. he works 30 hour shorter weeks than me and b. no one tries to hit on him when picking up a bar stool.  Also, he is not a spineless pushover who will cave on price before even being asked, like the other half of this couple.

enki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
I haven't hit $1000 but I don't mind dealing with CL types. Usually if I want $40 for something I will price it at $50 and wait for the inevitable low-ball. I like multiples of $20 because that is what ATMs spit out. I did give away a saw because not having it taking up space was worth more than anything i could get for it in a saturated market.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
I haven't hit $1000 but I don't mind dealing with CL types. Usually if I want $40 for something I will price it at $50 and wait for the inevitable low-ball. I like multiples of $20 because that is what ATMs spit out. I did give away a saw because not having it taking up space was worth more than anything i could get for it in a saturated market.

Yeah, I like to price ~25% higher than what I'll take, and the minimum price I am willing to set is $25 (if pressed, I'll take the $20) - if it's less than $25, either group things together or just give it away to friends/Goodwill.

younggunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 06:16:58 AM »

Agreed!!

I blew my cool on some guy a month ago who texted me the one night at 2:47 am and woke me up, I didn't respond, and the dude texts me the next morning at 3:50.  Both times waking me up ..  The majority of People on Craigslist have no respect for others.  Hence why no matter what price you put, people will 99% of the time lowball you without ever meeting up with you or to see the product.  Don't get me started on some of my craigslist stories!  Be warned!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:37:59 AM »
The majority of People on Craigslist have no respect for others.

True that. Early in my CL experience I hauled a desk down from the third floor to near the front door. Then the "buyer" bailed. Didn't call. Just didn't show. Well, sliding a heavy desk downstairs is much easier than getting it back upstairs. Desk is now a plant stand in my living room.

But then sometimes you get a good one. I had an antique shoemakers stand and some shoe forms inherited from my dad. Had a hard time selling them. Finally found a buyer who showed up on time, with the money, and explained that she was buying it as a Christmas present for her elderly father-in-law who had been a shoemaker in the old country before coming to America.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
I have had mostly good luck with CL. I also sometimes just put stuff in front of the house with a free sign. When we remodeled our home we got rid of a bunch of old stuff in the house-doors, flooring etc within less then an hour.  It really depends on my mood if I feel like dealing with it or not.

Alaskan Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 09:03:13 AM »
I'm a new member to the Mustachian community - been giving myself a financial makeover for the last 18 months, discovered MMM about 2 months ago.  Part of that makeover has been my Sell-a-thon!

I use both CL and eBay to monetize the unused stuff sitting around the house.  I just did the totals and during 2015 I netted just over $14,000 on eBay and CL!!

Musical Instruments, camera gear, high-end kitchen gadgets, ski equipment, fancy clothes, power tools etc.

For successful trading on CL, I always take GREAT pictures and give very accurate descriptions.  I decide on a price that is fair, but on the lower side, list my price as "$XXX CASH (very firm)".  I want lots of interest and a quick sale, hence the bargain price. 

In communications with potential buyers, before giving my location, I always confirm (in a friendly tone) that they are aware of the price and that it is not negotiable.  I've only had one person try to talk me down when he showed up in person - I said "I'm sorry, no."  He gave me full price and left happy.

Thanks to all the regulars for the inspiration!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »

I use both CL and eBay to monetize the unused stuff sitting around the house.  I just did the totals and during 2015 I netted just over $14,000 on eBay and CL!!

What was your gross?  Do you pay taxes on that at your regular rate or is it subject to self-employment taxes?

Alaskan Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
What was your gross?  Do you pay taxes on that at your regular rate or is it subject to self-employment taxes?

Since the majority of these items were sold at lower than their purchase price, there is no capital gain - ie they were sold at a loss.  Not a taxable event.

Tony_G

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cheapest House on the Block
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
I've had about $600 worth of items listed on craigslist for about a month and there are no takers, I may have to lower the already low prices a bit.

Alaskan Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
It all depends on what you are selling, but eBay may be a better option, as it reaches many millions of potential buyers.  It takes a bit more time to generate the listing, and you should make sure to take really nice pictures.  On the other hand, there is no haggling and setting up meeting times with viewers like there is on CL.  And if it fits in USPS flat rate box, shipping is simple (you can save $$ and time by printing your shipping labels at home).  Obviously large items that can't be easily shipped are out, but I've found it's a GREAT option for smaller things.

Good Luck!!

reverend

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 11:44:51 PM »
I blew my cool on some guy a month ago who texted me the one night at 2:47 am and woke me up, I didn't respond, and the dude texts me the next morning at 3:50.

I set my phone to silent-except-for-family between midnight and 5am so my sleep isn't interrupted. Just for that reason.

It all depends on what you are selling, but eBay may be a better option

Just don't forget that eBay likes to take 10% of your money, and then paypal takes another 4%.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 12:12:34 AM »
I've sold a truck on CL before and it was a huge hassle. Today I just sold (another) truck on eBay just for the convenience factor.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 03:49:16 AM »
CL is amazing, especially for getting rid of _literal_ junk.  I removed a cracked and leaking garbage disposal from my sink, and put it on the free section of CL - it was gone within days.  Someone wanted to use it to catch crabs or lobsters (I forget which).  I ripped out old gross (full of carpenter ants, too) wood paneling and bar from my basement - people on CL snapped it up for various projects or campfires.  An old window AC from 1985?  Someone took it for parts for *their* old window AC (apparently they don't make vertical window AC units any more).  My city charges $30-$50 to dispose of old appliances like that, so even though they went in the CL free section, it was as though I got paid $30-$50 each time.  Keeping things out of landfills doesn't hurt, either.