Author Topic: $1.00 off per gallon on gas plus cashback - everytime.  (Read 9796 times)

jpoihnnter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
$1.00 off per gallon on gas plus cashback - everytime.
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:20:00 AM »
Long time reader, first time poster.  We've got a great hack we've developed that has saved us a ton of cash, and we thought it was time to share as it relates to gas.  Now, our primary vehicle is electric, so we use nowhere near the level of gas that most families do - but for longer trips, or transporting lots of kids, we use my wife's old SUV.  And gas is expensive, and going up.  Also, if you don't live near a Kroger store that sells gas, this might not be quite as good.

So, here's the trick.

- Sign up for an American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card, and use it only for groceries.  It's a great card and provides 6% cash back on groceries (and there's a $200 bonus).  It's capped at $6000 a year in grocery spending on the 6% cash back, which should be fine for most mustachians.  Total cash back $560 in the first year.  There is a $95 dollar fee, but well worth it.  Even if you don't use this hack, it's a great card to have.  Not the reason for this post, but if you want one, PM me and I'll send you a referral link. 

- Sign up for Amazon Subscribe and Save.  We use this for all our recurring durable items - diapers, baby wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.  It's super easy, and if you get 5 items per month, you get 15% off an already low price and it shows up at your doorstep once a month.  There's no Costco or Sam's near us, but I've heard the prices are even better than those stores.  You'll be loading this with Amazon Cards in the next step.

- Here in the midwest, Kroger offers a great fuel points rewards program, in which you can get cash off per gallon every month, based on how many points you have.  1000 points = $1.00 off per gallon (up to 35 gallons at a time) when you fill up at a Kroger fuel station.  At $1.00 a point, we don't spend that much on groceries every month in order to max out the $1.00 per gallon every time (if you filled up twice a month, you would need 2000 points, etc.) so here's where the hack comes in.  Most vehicles do not have a 35 gallon tank, so you can use 5 gallon cans to max out the discount and fill your vehicle later, if you like.

- Kroger offers 4x fuel points bonus on gift cards about once a month via on online coupon you load to your kroger app, and 2x fuel points on gift cards is standard - and they allow you to stack these bonuses.  Keep your eyes open when this happens each month, and buy an Amazon gift card using your Amex Blue Cash in whatever denomination you need for your normal monthly purchases via subscribe and save - for us it's $100.  It's super easy to load these to your Amazon account, and there are no fees associated.  A $100 gift card = 600 points.

- If we have a big purchase, we also do it via this same method - we just did this on a new water heater recently. Here's the breakdown, let's say the water heater was $1000 to make the math simple (it wasn't that expensive).
     - Buy 2 $500 Home Depot gift cards at Kroger using the Amex Blue Cash - $60.00 cash back.
     - Use the 4x gift card coupon and standard 2x gift card savings - 6000 Kroger Fuel Points (enough for 6 $1.00 off/gallon fill ups).
     - I'm a military veteran, so I get 10% off at Home Depot - $100 off purchase.

So, there it is.  I can't remember the last time that we didn't get $1.00 per gallon when we filled up, plus the cashback that comes monthly via the Amex Blue Cash.  I've heard other grocery store chains offer similar fuel points programs, but I can only vouch for Kroger.

As I stated above, I think the Amex Blue Cash Preferred is a great card for any mustachian family to have to use solely for groceries.  PM me and I'll send you a referral link if you're interested in one! 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:36:01 AM by jpoihnnter »

orangepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugalcrib
Re: $1.00 off per gallon on gas plus cashback - everytime.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:22 AM »
I like the way you're stacking all these different promotions! I love finding such little hacks too. Though I can't help but wonder if, in the end, this is a lot of effort/money spent for very little reward.

For example, I find that most things on Amazon (S&S) are only worth it if they have a special deal, definitely not as a recurring monthly thing.

Buying 3rd party gift cards, such as Home Depot and Amazon, at face value (in exchange for 6x gas points) doesn't seem like a great deal either (you can always get discounts + cashback portal + credit card cash back on gift card exchanges, or stores like Staples, Dollar General often sell discounted 3rd party gift cards).

Then there's the Amex Blue Preferred card which gives you (capped) 6% cashback in exchange for a $95 AF. For me, it's just not worth it, remember, you have to compare the 6% cashback not to 0%, but to the 3% you can get from the "free" Amex blue or a 2% flat cashback card (Fidelity or Citi double Cash). Plus, at any given time, you could/should be working towards the minimum spend requirement of a fat sign-up bonus card anyway ;-). And if you do all grocery shopping at a "regular" supermarket (like I'm assuming Kroger's is, although I've never been to one), you've pretty much already "lost" the battle vs. shopping at a discount store (like Aldi).

As for gas discounts, I always fill up at the local Shell station (around these parts they are the cheapest, on par with Costco's pricing), get an additional ~$0.06 discount using their Fuel Rewards program, and submit my receipt to GetUpside (an app) to get another $0.10 off per gallon.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is there are many different ways to maximize discounts that don't revolve around just gas points, especially if you're a mustachian who doesn't drive a lot to begin with!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »
This actually sounds great.  I'm moving soon to an area with a Kroger so I'll have to take advantage of this.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
I've been using the stop and shop gas points linked with a shell fuel rewards card linked with a master card.  At times, visa gift cards are offered at double gas points.  Shell varies how much gets linked with master cards (currently 10 cents a gallon for every $100 spent and 5 cents a gallon added for every fill up).  Limit is 20 gallons per visit.  Stop and shop limits to $1.50 per gallon but master card and shell points stack on top of that.  The minimum at the pump is 1.9 cents a gallon for 38 cents for 20 gallons.

I do lots of 38 cent visits.

As good as this sounds, it used to be much better, with 35 gallon limits and some circle spending of cards to easily hit the lower limit.  I went literally 2 years spending no more than 1.9 cents a gallon.

Just like any manufactured spending-like activity, YMMV and there are things I won't tell you that are ways to get much more discount that haven't been widely exploited.....or would have been shut down.

Oh....my master card gives me 2.2% back, but that's mouse nuts by comparison.  :D

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »
I pretty much do the same thing, but either use the 3% blue cash American Express card or 5% chase / discover for grocery rewards.

You can also do a survey every 7 days for 50 fuel points.

I know they do other promotions like 2x fuel points on weekends.

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
Another good rewards card is BOA cash rewards, 2% grocery, 3% gas, but if you have $20k/$50K/$100K in BOA and Merrill Edge accounts there is a 25%/50%/75% bonus. In the top tier that's 3.5% grocery, 5.25% gas. The middle tier is still pretty good, 3% grocery and 4.5% gas. Another good thing is warehouse clubs are included in the grocery category (American express does not count them as grocery).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
Just an FYI kroger gas stations get categorized as neither a "gas station" nor as a "grocery store" for any cards (including amex, and the costco visa mentioned).  You will be getting the rewards for the "all other purchases" category for all major cards that I've checked (BoA, citi, amex, discover, chase).

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
Been utilizing this "hack" for a couple years now. Actually doing a bathroom reno for friends of ours and they let me purchase everything. I always buy gift cards at Kroger using the 6% back and racking up full points. It works best when we have to fill up two vehicles at the same time. $1 off turns into $20+ in gas savings + the 6% back with the Amex card and shopping through an online portal for more cash back. It adds up.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »
Ummm, been doing the Kroger points plus Amex Blue spiel for years :)
http://www.thefrugalhumanist.com/save-money-gas-favorite-savings-hack-get-20-off-gas-station/

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
I have been doing a similar hack for the past 4 years as well but more simple.

I just go in and buy a a few Visa Gift Cards at $500. You get 10 points per every 50$ spent at grocery store - any gift card included, even VISA cards. each point gives you 1 cent off of the gallon price. So $500 purchase gives you 100 points = 1.00 dollar off.

If I need to achieve a minimum spending on a CC or something I just buy 3 $500 cards, that cost me in total 1511.85 dollars (the fees for the Visa gift card) and get 300 points.

This gives me 3 dollars off of gas up to 25 gallons.

In essence, the true cost out of pocket of this is 11.85 dollars for 25 gallons or 47 cents per gallon.

In net terms, I should say I actually make a profit since on my credit card, I get miles that I value at around 2-3 cents per mile ... so ... about 30$ minimum benefit as well.

There were times, that I had like 4000 gas points in my account ... which meant 15 gas refills in a row if I wanted to.

It came to a point to if I needed gas, I would just walk into the grocery store, buy the gift cards, and 1 minute later I was at the gas station filling up the car with the points I had gotten just a couple minutes earlier :D

I don;'t drive as many miles now, but I was driving before 14,000 miles per year, and I was spending per year in gas about $120/year (with gas at 3 dollars/gallon) ... Not to mention I would still have a bunch of miles on my CC accumulated.

Also, got a lot of VIP perks from grocery store because they consider me a VIP customer - for spending so much - probably my spending at the grocery store in a year was above 100k or more! Just in gift cards
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:15:42 PM by MrSal »

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
Just an FYI kroger gas stations get categorized as neither a "gas station" nor as a "grocery store" for any cards (including amex, and the costco visa mentioned).  You will be getting the rewards for the "all other purchases" category for all major cards that I've checked (BoA, citi, amex, discover, chase).

The three cards I use, BOA, Chase, Discover all categorize Kroger gas as a gas station.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
Also, got a lot of VIP perks from grocery store because they consider me a VIP customer - for spending so much - probably my spending at the grocery store in a year was above 100k or more! Just in gift cards
I see,  this is a version of Manufactured Spending? I have no idea how you liquidate 100K in gift cards, buy groceries I guess. Do youu get double points  when you pay for groceries with the gift cards?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »

The three cards I use, BOA, Chase, Discover all categorize Kroger gas as a gas station.

It might be region dependent.  I would definitely check though and not just assume that it's getting counted as gas because none of my krogers get counted.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:19 PM »
I see,  this is a version of Manufactured Spending? I have no idea how you liquidate 100K in gift cards, buy groceries I guess. Do youu get double points  when you pay for groceries with the gift cards?

WM MOs are the traditional method.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »

WM MOs are the traditional method.

My wife was spared the dreaded AMEX Serve shut downs. I wasn't so lucky. I've been loading the crap out of Serve for a while now. Figure it's going to get the ax eventually. Will try to MOs soon.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

MOs usually. However, whenever I don't do Manufacture Spending and in order to dimish risk by not having so much money floating (chance of losing the gift cards or something else), I would just buy a single gift card worth 500 dollars with the credit card, and then I would use the $500 gift card to buy another $500 gift card and keep doing the same over and over. It would take me 3 separate transactions in this case to get 1 full 25 gallons of free gas. I didn't mind since the store is just across the street and sometimes i would just pop in and do it once to rack the points and then i would go some other time to keep them accumulating.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »
The Krogers here (under the brand of Fred Meyer) also offers additional fuel points for filling out online surveys (this offer is on their receipts), which take five minutes. I usually get about 50 cents per gallon off.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:08 AM »
I just purchased a $100 gift card to test this. Currently have two 4x fuel points towards gift cards and one 2x coupon loaded onto my Kroger card(using the app).

The $100 gift card gave me 400 points, = $0.40 off a gallon of fuel. This card cost basically $6. So, if I only by 20 gallons of gas and save $0.40/gallon ($3/gal regular cost) and the card cost me $6 I save $2...

But, if you buy a $500 card, at the same $6 cost. That would give you 2000 points, or $2 off a gallon. 20 gallons at this rate would save you $34 including the cost of the card.

Lets say you bring 2, 5 gallon gas cans, do the $500 card thing and purchase 30 gallons of fuel. Savings would be $54.

EDIT: Just read in the details that you can only use up to $1 off at at time.

It seems only one of the coupons applied to the purchace, they didn't stack at all. I was trying to figure out if I could purchase the gift card at the gas station attendant station and see if my Costco card would reconize it as fuel and get another 4%.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:03:04 AM by 401Killer »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
Been doing the Kroger + Amex thing for a few years, it is great.

Also been doing the ClickList. This is a fantastic way to 1) save a ton of time 2) eliminate spur-of-the-moment purchases. Build the list @ home, set a time, pick it up. They have been 99%+ accurate, very few errors, and where there is one they replace the item for free or give us a credit. Plus DW saves 2hrs or more out of her life from walking around the store.

What wonderful times we live in!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 09:07:50 AM »
I just purchased a $100 gift card to test this. Currently have two 4x fuel points towards gift cards and one 2x coupon loaded onto my Kroger card(using the app).

The $100 gift card gave me 400 points, = $0.40 off a gallon of fuel. This card cost basically $6. So, if I only by 20 gallons of gas and save $0.40/gallon ($3/gal regular cost) and the card cost me $6 I save $2...

But, if you buy a $500 card, at the same $6 cost. That would give you 2000 points, or $2 off a gallon. 20 gallons at this rate would save you $34 including the cost of the card.

Lets say you bring 2, 5 gallon gas cans, do the $500 card thing and purchase 30 gallons of fuel. Savings would be $54.

EDIT: Just read in the details that you can only use up to $1 off at at time.

It seems only one of the coupons applied to the purchace, they didn't stack at all. I was trying to figure out if I could purchase the gift card at the gas station attendant station and see if my Costco card would reconize it as fuel and get another 4%.

The variable load Visa GCs don't give you fuel points. I only purchase those for MS. The Kroger hack works well when you shop at other places they sell GCs for like Amazon, Lowes, HD, Target, etc. We even bought a bunch of REI gift cars at Kroger when we had to buy a some hiking/camping gear for Boy Scouts.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 09:41:20 AM »
Can you tell us what gift cards you are buying. Someone mentioned a gift Visa card. I tried to buy a gift card Visa, I believe a few years ago at my grocery store with my Costco Amex card at the time and they said they won't let you buy a Visa card or MasterCard with another credit card. I was actually going to buy the gift card for a birthday gift. I now have the Costco Visa card. Maybe other stores will let you buy Gift Card Visa/Mastercard with another Visa Card. I think my friend who works at a Walmart said they won't allow purchase of Visa/MasterCards with another credit card either.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
Can you tell us what gift cards you are buying. Someone mentioned a gift Visa card. I tried to buy a gift card Visa, I believe a few years ago at my grocery store with my Costco Amex card at the time and they said they won't let you buy a Visa card or MasterCard with another credit card. I was actually going to buy the gift card for a birthday gift. I now have the Costco Visa card. Maybe other stores will let you buy Gift Card Visa/Mastercard with another Visa Card. I think my friend who works at a Walmart said they won't allow purchase of Visa/MasterCards with another credit card either.

Some grocery stores won't let you buy gift cards with CCs. I think it's just a policy with some stores.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »

Visa gift cards by Metabank or the Mastercard Diamond's I believe.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »
I love the Kroger gift card and gas reward system. Especially when stacked with credit card rewards.

When I go to Fry's for groceries (Arizona version of Kroger), I like to buy Shell gas gift cards with my 2.5% cash back USAA card, get 2x or 4x fuel points, then fill up at the Shell station down the block (shell and circle K are affiliated with Kroger in my area and will give me the fuel reward discount, and it helps that they are already among the cheapest gas in the area). So essentially zero cost to get a discount on gas that I was gonna buy anyway after heading home from the grocery store that I was gonna do anyway. My vehicle only has a 20 gal tank, so I will start doing the fuel can thing to maximize the discount.

35 gallons at my local current price of $2.75 or so is right around 100 bucks. With my card I will pay 97.50 for a $100 gas gift card and get 200 fuel points (or 400 if the quad points offer is in effect), which is good for 20 or 40 cents off per gallon respectively. If I buy all 35 gallons this drops the net cost down to 90.50 or 83.50 respectively, which is pretty sweet... 9% or 17% discount.

A couple years ago, gas got down to just over a buck in my city. A few times we had 1000 fuel points. It was hilarious buying gas for 14 cents a gallon.

Last weekend I bought a bunch of crap at Home Depot (several hundred bucks worth) and forgot to swing by the Frys to buy HD gift cards first. DOH!

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 05:33:08 AM »
FYI if you open a Discover card they have a 5% grocery cash back quarterly category. First year they double cash back so essentially 10% back on buying gift cards. Too bad it's capped at $1500 spend. Of course it's 10% back on groceries as well.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
FYI if you open a Discover card they have a 5% grocery cash back quarterly category. First year they double cash back so essentially 10% back on buying gift cards. Too bad it's capped at $1500 spend. Of course it's 10% back on groceries as well.

5% grocery (10% once doubled) on discover is still going through the end of the 2nd Q 2018 (June 30). 

3rd Q is restaurants
4th Q is amazon and warehouse clubs

My double cash back is ending in august.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »

5% grocery (10% once doubled) on discover is still going through the end of the 2nd Q 2018 (June 30). 

3rd Q is restaurants
4th Q is amazon and warehouse clubs

My double cash back is ending in august.

Yep, I did this last year, and my wife is doing it this year.

BrickByBrick

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 04:07:10 PM »
Something to add to the original posters hack:

Go on Ebay and buy 10% Lowe's coupons.  I regularly by a few for a few bucks at a time, find a buyer who emails them to you as a PDF within a few minutes after purchase.

Most Home Depots will take Lowe's coupons and honor them, although officially it varies by the store, but if an employee gives you trouble ask to speak with the store manager and they usually waive it through.

I recommend trying the Lowe's coupons, whether you buy it from Lowe's or Home Depot, because for some reason Home Depot coupons are much more expensive on Ebay...they seem to be more rare or better protected from "hacks".

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 09:22:24 PM »
Just a warning for anyone thinking of trying this: not all Kroger stores code as grocery for Amex cards.

My Fred Meyer (Kroger affiliate) codes as warehouse store, which does not earn the 6% back

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »
Interesting that they’d do that for you. I asked and was told they couldn’t do  anything about merchant category codes. Just downgraded the card and moved on

Just a warning for anyone thinking of trying this: not all Kroger stores code as grocery for Amex cards.

My Fred Meyer (Kroger affiliate) codes as warehouse store, which does not earn the 6% back

When I used to use a Delta Amex as my primary card I noticed this.  I called customer service and the over-rode all the Fred Meyer entries back about 6 months(coinciding with my return to the US).  I didn't bother to do it again as I cancelled the card shortly after to avoid the fee (after cashing out the points, of course).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!