Author Topic: Where to learn about siding?  (Read 1104 times)

OrchardTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to learn about siding?
« on: September 17, 2018, 07:21:01 PM »
Hi there,

I know a lot of people on this message board are into real estate. I have been renting for a long time in the U.S. now, but my wife is getting antsy about buying a home. I'm a bit clueless about U.S. real estate because I didn't grow up here. Where I grew up (Germany), houses were made of thick brick walls and the places I've rented in the U.S. have typically had paper thin walls. So it's all a bit unusual to me and before I buy something I would like to understand why things are made the way they are and what the options are in terms of siding and the advantages / disadvantages of each type. What would be a good resource to learn about all of this?

Thank you.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where to learn about siding?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 05:48:57 AM »
Here is a good place................

So yes many homes are 'stick framed' which means they are built of wooden 2x4s and covered with sheets of plywood and then covered with a weather proof material like siding, stucco or brick.

There are plenty of homes 'built of stone' as you say. I own a few homes that are made out of structural brick. They are solid as a rock but have their drawbacks.

So each has pros and cons

Stick Frame.
Cheap and Fast
Allows for any type of covering
Allows for insulation and mechanical between the 'sticks'
Not as good at noise insulation

Structural brick/stone
Expensive and slow
The structure is the exterior as well
No insulation or mechanicals whatsoever
Great for noise insulation.

There is a reason almost all homes are built with stick framing is almost surely due to cost wtih all the other advantages being bonuses.

I am sure others can add more to the conversation. But don't let stick framing and 'thin walls' deter you. If you are worried about noise, Good windows will actually make a bigger difference than type of walls.

jc4

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:20:18 AM »
If you also shared the region and age of homes you're looking at, you might get some more specific answers to your situation.

By far the norm is a stick frame, with whatever siding the original buyer/builder decided was most aestetic / cost effective. Practical concerns don't go far. As a rule of thumb, brick exteriors are consider more valuable and offer better insulation. That's really all the thought Americans normally put into it though.

OrchardTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »
New Jersey, New York and Connecticut are the areas I'm looking at. Old housing stock evidently. Thank you so much for your help.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!