Author Topic: What Are YOUR New Home Must Haves?  (Read 517 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
What Are YOUR New Home Must Haves?
« on: February 22, 2021, 11:07:36 AM »
I found this article hilarious. A safe so small that anyone can pick it up? A snow shovel in sunny California? Just wondering how mustachians would prioritize this list differently.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/reviewedcom/2021/02/17/22-things-you-need-if-you-just-bought-your-first-house/43391669/

theoverlook

• Bristles
Re: What Are YOUR New Home Must Haves?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
Looks like they had 22 sponsors line up for a feature article and figured out how to fit them all in.

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
They forgot about the roof rake.  How are you supposed to get snow off the roof without a roof rake?  Of course that always just comes with the house.  That advice about never bringing an old broom to a new house must apply to roof rakes too.  They also forgot about a broom.

In all it seems like an odd mix of practical advice and pointless frippery.

It says you can bolt the safe to the floor, so nobody can just walk off with it.  I never bothered to change locks or get a security system.  We are in the process of downsizing now, and selling a bunch of things has made us realize how little our things are worth.  I suppose if I thought my family was actually in danger I would worry about locks and security, or just move. 

I do like my stand mixer, but I can't see the point in it for someone who doesn't bake.  I prefer corded drills instead of cordless, and charcoal instead of gas grills.  The tiny plastic shed seems pointless too, and $200 for a wifi router seems pretty steep. 

The wifi fucking smart lock seems like a supremely stupid idea.  Much easier to hack than an old fashioned lock with a key.  Plus what happens if your internet goes out or your phone battery dies and you need to get into your house?

Telecaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 01:46:54 PM »
The wifi fucking smart lock seems like a supremely stupid idea.  Much easier to hack than an old fashioned lock with a key.  Plus what happens if your internet goes out or your phone battery dies and you need to get into your house?

I really like my wi-fi smart lock.   For one, there is also keyed lock and also operates by Bluetooth so you don't need wi-fi, but the reasons why I like include that it locks automatically when you leave and unlocks automatically when you return. 

You can also give people temporary access codes.  That's been handy as well. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:39:16 PM »
When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting it to be house features, like indoor laundry or a garage. :)

My dream list that I donít expect to ever get includes:

Attached garage, preferably two-car
Yard
At least four bedrooms
A totally separate in-law/guest suite
Waist-height oven
Radiant floor heating
Indoor laundry
Insulated everything: exterior walls, interior walls, floors, ceilings, attic, crawl space
Great light
Quiet street so my littles can bike safely
Bike friendly location

sealab2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 10:42:42 PM »
Digital main deadbolt, dusk till dawn outdoor bulbs, timers on bathroom fans, LED bulbs everywhere. Biggest thing is MORE INSULATION IN THE ATTIC. my electric bill dropped 2/3 in the summer and winter. The attic isnít for storage, itís for insulation. As some other posters were talking about trivial things, I will add I like having a tall fence in the yard to keep the weirdos out.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 03:09:01 AM »
When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting it to be house features, like indoor laundry or a garage. :)

Yard
At least four bedrooms
Waist-height oven
Radiant floor heating
Indoor laundry
Insulated everything: exterior walls, interior walls, floors, ceilings, attic, crawl space
Great light
Bike friendly location
This is a great list! For the life of me, I don't know why interior walls aren't insulated.  Okay, I know it's cost thing for builders, but OMG, it makes such s difference! Our last flip house was near a freeway. Since we replaced all the drywall, we insulated everything, including the interior walls and between the floors. The difference was amazing. You literally felt like the house was a cocoon.

PS I'm fine with this list evolving into anything that's helpful to fellow mustachians ;-)

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 03:20:22 AM »
@Morning Glory my spouse makes cookies a lot, but I use the stand mixer for savory things mostly. Spreads like pimiento cheese freeze well. And for meat eaters, shredding chicken or pork in the mixer is a dream!

In my dream house thereís a pantry and a full sized laundry room with shelves for storage. Maybe another 2 tenths of an acre of land in the back yard, too.

cool7hand

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 05:50:19 AM »
Four walls, roof, indoor plumbing, heat, a/c (depending on location), basic appliances, a few windows, a few places to sit, a place to sleep, and storage for the things we use to enjoy life when they're not in use.

Morning Glory

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 06:56:01 AM »
Four walls, roof, indoor plumbing, heat, a/c (depending on location), basic appliances, a few windows, a few places to sit, a place to sleep, and storage for the things we use to enjoy life when they're not in use.

This is a good list!!! I would add a place for the kids to play too, but not too big.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 07:45:09 AM »
Having just moved into a new place (from a van so my needs are a little different than a renter turned homeowner), my personal must haves were a snow shovel, a roof rake, a vacuum, a full sized broom, dishwasher detergent, a washing machine (no dryer as we hang dry clothes), a microwave plate cover, bakeware, real plates and glasses, trash cans, recycling bins and chairs for the island.

I am guilty of having got the stand mixer but that is a nice to have not a must have.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
We are getting ready to do a big home addition / remodel.
Some things we intend to incorporate:

A giant kitchen open to the main living area.
Big kitchen island with a commercial stove in it, that you can sit around.
Walk in shower with nothing to step over.
Gas fireplace w/ big screen TV over top of it
All hard surfaced floors, hardwood or tile
A designated laundry room
Big walk in pantry
A hidden room or two behind sliding book cases
Do away with the water source heat pump and go back to regular high efficient gas forced air heat.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 09:03:21 AM »

Yard
At least four bedrooms
Waist-height oven
Radiant floor heating
Indoor laundry
Great light
Bike friendly location
Alright, I'll jump in on this.  Most of those are things I'd love to have.  I'll add a few:
--Back yard backs to a park (some of my siblings have this, and it's AWESOME)
--3+ car garage (a car each for DW and me, plus space for bikes/mower/etc and a workshop)
--Kitchen arranged so that when you're washing dishes or at the stove, you're not staring at a wall (so, either put a window above it, or put it in the island)
--"racetrack"--i.e. a way for kids to run in circles.
--very well air/vapor sealed and insulated
--exterior overhangs designed to shade the windows in the summer but let sunlight through in the winter
--9-foot ceilings in the living areas
--zero-threshold, walk-in shower (no doors, curtains, etc) with multiple shower heads
--I really appreciate having the toilet in the master bathroom in its own little closet
--a urinal, but I don't know that DW would let me
--rooms designed with their intended use and furniture in mind, e.g. bedrooms are designed with lots of wall space for a bed, dresser, desk, etc.
--metal roof
--some sort of riser from the basement to the attic, so it's easy to run future plumbing/electrical/ethernet/whatever.
--no two-story rooms, or oversized rooms
--fruit trees
--brick exterior (minimize maintenance)
--radiant heat with zoning for each room

Do away with the water source heat pump and go back to regular high efficient gas forced air heat.
What's the motivation for this change?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:49 AM »
What's the motivation for this change?

Basically just traded a high gas bill for a high electric bill.
Gas bill is now about $30 per month, but it's not unusual to get a $250-300 electric bill from pumping water all the time.

Most importantly, the heat coming out of the registers is not very warm so the house always feels cold.

Malcat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »
What a dumb list, why does it assume I don't already own sheets???

Is it assuming I'm moving from my parents' home? Because if so, the list is a fuck load longer and should include a lot more basics.

I can't think of anything I specifically needed when I went from renting to owning in my 30s. I certainly already had friggin' bed sheets. I don't know why owning would suddenly create the need for a stand mixer if I didn't need one already. And what kind of adult had never needed a tape measure???

I can understand needing more tools if you own because so many more repairs become your responsibility, but beyond things like repairs and lawn care, how does buying a place suddenly change what you need in your home???

So stupid.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 10:14:21 AM »

Yard
At least four bedrooms
Waist-height oven
Radiant floor heating
Indoor laundry
Great light
Bike friendly location
This is a great list! For the life of me, I don't know why interior walls aren't insulated.  Okay, I know it's cost thing for builders, but OMG, it makes such s difference! Our last flip house was near a freeway. Since we replaced all the drywall, we insulated everything, including the interior walls and between the floors. The difference was amazing. You literally felt like the house was a cocoon.

PS I'm fine with this list evolving into anything that's helpful to fellow mustachians ;-)
Yes, it costs more money. But sheesh, not much. Swap out a marble countertop for almost anything else and use the savings to insulate interior walls. I agree that it makes it feel wonderful.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
That article is impressive. 22 different items and the only one that wasn't unnecessary, or way overpriced, was the ladder.