Author Topic: What are your go-to (stoves, toilets, paint, etc) for your rentals?  (Read 14289 times)

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Would anyone like to recommend your standard stove/fridge/paint/etc that you use in your rentals? A lot of the articles on Bigger Pockets (especially Kevin Perk's) mention having a go-to brand, I'd like to see what the Mustachians are using.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:16:08 PM by Kriegsspiel II »

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
I use coil top stoves.  Generally Tappan, white/black color.  Always self-cleaning.  Gas is better for cooking, but rental kids sometimes turn the gas on by mistake.  They run $325 or so.

White 18.2 CuFt Frigidaire refrigerators.  Top freezer, Absolutely NO ice makers.  Frigidaire appliances are generally bottom of the barrel, but are pretty cheap.  Cheaper to replace than repair.  That's what you need in a rental.  New ones are clean and ready to go.  They run $450-$550.

Dishwashers are always ~$300, with a food grinder.  Always white, unless I get a deal on a different color.  Generally Whirlpool or Maytag.  Sometimes GE.  Skip Frigidaire on a D/W.  All mine have plug-ins for electric (not hard-wired), and their own water shutoff.

I get almost all my appliances from Lowe's.  Free pickup and delivery.  I buy them on sale when I can, and get a 10% coupon off eBay to save another 10%.  The coupons cost ~$2.00.  Of you can get a Lowe's credit card and save 5%.  Or a military 10% discount.  Or ask for a discount and you can generally get it.

I generally do not buy used appliances, as I do not want to run around all over trying to find clean appliances.  And I do not want to deliver them either.  And I certainly do not want to drive to a place to get an appliance, and decide it's not worth the price and have to drive back.

I am in a class A area, and have class A/B tenants in my apartments/duplexes.  These appliances work for me.  If you are in a C/D area, maybe used appliances are better.

Paint is Sherwin Williams.  Semi-glass all the way, ceilings, walls, trim.  I get my paint at ~50% off list.  At HD, you can use the pro-rewards and get 25% off Behr Paint.  I use interactive cream for my color and white trim and ceilings.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:04:59 PM by NoNonsenseLandlord »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Posting to follow.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Coil top electric stoves always.  Tenants invariably break the glass tops.  I inherited a couple of those and had to quickly replace them.  I like GE, about $450 not on sale at Home Depot IIRC.  I don't generally go for the self-clean because tenants don't clean stoves well if at all and if the stove has to be replaced because of burned on food or other issues, these are $50 cheaper.  I haven't seen Tappan in my area recently.  I have larger houses, so I buy the basic Whirlpool side by side fridges unless they won't fit ($900 on sale), then I buy the cheapest GE 18 cf top freezer model.  Those are around $500 not on sale.  Dishwashers I like Whirlpool.  Had bad luck with Maytag.  GE is my back-up choice.  All bottom of the line or the next model up.

Unlike Eric, I am trying to switch to black, because the plastic does not yellow with age and tenants seem to like it better.  Last year I had to do a whole house during the Black Friday sales, and unbelievably, stainless was cheaper than black or white.  I raised the rent because the house has stainless appliances, but I will probably regret the purchase because of tenant carelessness and abuse.

Lowes and Home Depot are generally where I shop, but we just got a microwave installed about $50 cheaper from the local appliance chain store in Phoenix.

I hate Frigidaire anything.  Supposedly the stoves are better, but the brand is just too cheap and unreliable for me to try one.

Used appliances are a waste of money.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
Thanks gents.

NoNonsenseLLandlord, did you pick semi-gloss over satin as a considered choice independent of the price discount? From what I can tell, they both can be scrubbed, instead of repainted (which is the draw over other types). What would you consider the other advantages?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
I prefer satin, because it looks nicer and in the end even semi-gloss can't be scrubbed clean with a really dirty tenant.  Flat is easier to touch up, though.  Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee gives a clean, bright look.  If you prefer more muted colors, go for a bone or a Navajo white.

Appliance availability and delivery is key.  I used to buy from Sears years ago, but when they started charging for delivery and the delivery became unreliable, I switched.

Travel Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
 Always put in the "Champion" toilet!! Flushes very strong! We have 14 rental units and gradually replace all toilets with this one!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
Fridges we buy new. Frigidaire/Whirlpool/Maytag/MagicChef, whatever is cheapest at the time.  Washers we get from a local used appliance store, typically $150-$200 for a refurbished unit that has a warranty.

Stoves and dryers we buy on Craigslist. We mostly get electric for both, but have two units with gas. They cost $50-$100 for relatively new ones in nice condition. We've never had any trouble with any of the used appliances we bought. Not much can go wrong with stoves and dryers. Replacing a coil burner or a belt on a dryer are very simple repairs.

We don't supply dishwashers or disposals. We have old houses. We had a disposal in one unit and took it out when the tenant kept complaining of clogged drains.  The dishwasher we got for our own house was $25 on Craigslist and works like a charm.

We use flat paint or low lustre from Sherwin Williams. Satin in the kitchen and bathroom. The flat we use is scrubbable.

sammybiker

• Pencil Stache
Used and no frills.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Not  landlord, but run far away from Frigidare dishwashers.  I logged on the computer right now to order yet another part for my piece of junk 4 year old dishwasher. 

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What are your go-to (stoves, toilets, paint, etc) for your rentals?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:25:44 AM »
I'd like to know flooring that you put in - No Nonsense Landlord - I believe you put in some sort of laminate wood, right? 

If you gut a bathroom, what do you put in?

Kitchen cabinets/counters - what do tenants want and what do you put in?

Mr. Boots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 11:21:09 AM »
Nice idea for a thread. Even for non-landlords, it's helpful to get an idea of the most reliable appliances, paints, flooring, etc. for the money.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
Following

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
I'd like to know flooring that you put in - No Nonsense Landlord - I believe you put in some sort of laminate wood, right? 
If you gut a bathroom, what do you put in?
Kitchen cabinets/counters - what do tenants want and what do you put in?

I use laminate Sam's with a foam baking already applied.

Tile floors in a bathroom, high capacity flush toilet.  Solid wood vanity.  No particle board.

RTA cabinets.  Cheap, no particle board, and they look like a million bucks.

I tried to attach a picture, but it did not appear to work.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »

I use laminate Sam's with a foam baking already applied.

Tile floors in a bathroom, high capacity flush toilet.  Solid wood vanity.  No particle board.

RTA cabinets.  Cheap, no particle board, and they look like a million bucks.

Do you mean laminate from Sam's Club?  We have Costco here, no Sam's Club.  Where do you buy the no particle board RTA cabinets?  What brand/model toilet, or does it vary?

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 06:36:50 AM »
Do you mean laminate from Sam's Club?  We have Costco here, no Sam's Club.  Where do you buy the no particle board RTA cabinets?  What brand/model toilet, or does it vary?

Yes, Sam's club.  They seem to have a great value.  Costco would probably be just as good.  ~1.50 a sq ft, lifetime warranty, pad attached.  A lighter Oak color.

The toilets vary.  I look at flush capacity.  I have heard great things about Champion toilets (by American Standard) from others, including a post above.

I use RTA Cabinet Store.  http://www.rtacabinetstore.com/  I get a 10% discount off their list prices.  They even use my kitchens as part of their advertising.  If you look under the galley, under Oak Kitchen Cabinets, I have seven pictures there.  Mine are the ones with the center island, or a picture window to the kitchen.  White appliances.  I also use their bathroom vanities.  I have purchased at least a dozen kitchens so far. UPDATE 14 so far...

It was several different kitchen's I submitted, and they all (mostly) look like the same kitchen.  I do mine in the same colors, and same appliances.  I can swap parts between appliances to fix things if I have too.  And it's easy to match the color of paint.

The Oak cabinets are the cheapest, and are a timeless color.  Like a black tuxedo.  The downside of these is the exposed hinges.  I have not had a problem with them, but with trashy renters it may be more difficult to clean?  But with trashy renters, everything is difficult...   The nice finish wipes off easily though.  I put a piece of the flexible vinyl under the sink and vanity bases.

To estimate the cost of the cabinets, I just use $100 per cabinet.  Base cabinets cost more, and uppers cost less.  But you use less base cabinets.  It's not perfect, but easily within 20%.

http://www.rtacabinetstore.com/RTA-Kitchen-Cabinets/Oak-Kitchen-Cabinets/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:50:50 AM by NoNonsenseLandlord »

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 07:24:31 AM »
Would anyone like to recommend your standard stove/fridge/paint/etc that you use in your rentals? A lot of the articles on Bigger Pockets (especially Kevin Perk's) mention having a go-to brand, I'd like to see what the Mustachians are using.

I've gotten high-end appliances for cheap from the online high-end scratch and dent place DesignerHomeSurplus.com. For instance, a $1300 5-burner Bosch stainless gas stove for $564, no tax, and free shipping because I also got a nice discounted dishwasher at the same time and they had some promotion where any order over $700 shipped free. This stove has a visible dent but even so it is a huge selling point for tenants--most people love gas stoves, most landlords don't provide them, and even when they do they typically aren't really nice stoves.

But then my approach to landlording is to target higher-end tenants. If that's not your market you don't need such nice appliances. But DesignerHomeSurplus is worth occasionally surfing to see if they have anything you might conceivably need. Sears Outlet is too but they don't have much higher-end stuff. However, you can save a ton on whatever you do buy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:26:08 AM by Daleth »

WildHare

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
Craigslist.  People sell entire sets of perfectly good appliances when they decide they 'have' to have stainless steel.

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »
I'm really liking this thread - such helpful information!  Keep the ideas coming this is great!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 10:49:17 PM »
Craigslist and auctions.

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 12:54:00 AM »
When it comes to water fixtures, I've found Glacier Bay to be unbeatable in price and value. Not just my rental, but nearly everything in my own house is Glacier Bay. Never had a problem with any of their stuff and they look nice too.

Here's a tip that may not work for everyone. My local water company offers a $100 rebate if you upgrade to a high-efficiency toilet. The basic GB model, which works much better than the stupid 3.5 gpf ones that I used to have, goes for around $115. But it has to be your water bill to get the rebate. So I made a deal with my renters: give me $100 up front, and I'll install a much better toilet that will save you money in the long run, and then you get a $100 credit on your water bill, therefore costing you nothing. So I upgraded toilets for about $30 a pop (including sales taxes and new supply lines), saved them some money, and it made the place nicer.

I have unusually rational tenants, so YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:06:43 AM by aasdfadsf »

archben82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:10 AM »
We've had fine luck with glass top ranges, so I suppose if you expect decent renters I'd go with that.  The best deal in my opinion is to get the basic glass top electric range, stainless side by side fridge, stainless microwave all from Whirlpool.  We've have ours for years and it seems to be great bang for you buck.  Best time to buy is at HHGregg during their Labor Day sale.  For washer dryer, get the basic high efficiency stack washer dryer from Samsung, again at HHGregg.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »
I agree with the advice to stay away from Fridgidaire dishwashers.

I tried the click-together vinyl flooring in my first rental, thinking that it would be more durable than laminate.  But it looks terrible only a few years later because the subfloor is a slab and slightly uneven.  The vinyl has molded to it and shows all the imperfections of the subfloor.  I now rip out carpet and put in cheap laminate.  It is surprisingly durable, but it can't take standing water, so warn tenants not to mop.

Waste King disposals work well and are much cheaper than the ones at the big box stores.  I order from Amazon.  But don't put a disposal in a house with old metal drain lines.  They will get clogged.

I paint cabinets off white (clean, sand, prime, sand, then use sherwin williams proclassic water-borne alkyd -- expensive but worth it).  Maybe this varies by area, but oak is considered very much out of style here.  People want dark-stained wood or paint.  I replace hardware with brushed nickel -- cheaper on ebay.

Floor register covers are much cheaper online, for example: http://www.dwincorp.com/products.php?product_id=33.  The metal ones get rusty. 

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »
If anyone has experience with Allure flooring, lay it on me.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Hey Rachel:

What model Waste King?

What color is the cabinet paint?  Do you have problems with painted cabinets chipping?

Do you use laminate in bedrooms?  What brands/products do you like?  Do you DIY or get it installed?

Thanks!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 09:10:53 PM »
+1 on the proclassic paint
We use that for trim and doors. It's good stuff.
Never tried it on cabinets yet, but I'm sure it'll work great.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »

We used that in a rental kitchen. This style: http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Allure-12-in-x-36-in-Sedona-Vinyl-Tile-Flooring-24-sq-ft-case-260110-0/202075782

It looks phenomenal and is holding up well two years in. No problems at all. I was afraid of a nasty vinyl offgassing smell, but there wasn't one.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
Hey Rachel:

What model Waste King?

What color is the cabinet paint?  Do you have problems with painted cabinets chipping?

Do you use laminate in bedrooms?  What brands/products do you like?  Do you DIY or get it installed?

Thanks!

I use the 1/2 HP waste king.  The 1/3 HP has good reviews on Amazon, and is cheaper, but I worry that it won't be powerful enough for a rental.

The paint color I use is called "asiago." http://www.lowes.com/pd_432979-4-60051AASIAGO_0__?productId=999900354  I take the paint chip from Lowes to SW.  If you clean and prime properly, it does not chip.  I painted my own kitchen cabinets with it six years ago, and it still looks good. 

I do use laminate in bedrooms.  People seem to like it.  I try to attract "clean freak" tenants, and these people are grossed out by carpet in a rental house.  Maybe in a colder climate, people would want carpet, so YMMV. 

I don't buy any particular brand, and look for sales.  HD had a bevel-edge laminate for $0.50/sq ft right before Thanksgiving last year.  It was a special sale and I ordered a whole house of it.  I install it myself. 

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
following

we've tried buying used appliances and it's been a mixed bag so far.
we bought the previous owner's appliances for one house.
it had a damaged agitator which ruined the new tenants towels, so we had to replace that washer within a few weeks of move in.
that definitely wasn't worth it and I probably should not have bought the used washer in the first place.
FWIW it was a whirlpool calypso.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
Following for the future.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:46 PM »
Tagged.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:09 PM »
Snap-sizzled.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »
I almost went with that laminate or something very similar during the last Home Depot Black Friday sale for the living and bedroom areas of a small house.  The beveled edge laminate is pretty, but it traps liquid in the channels, so that scared me off.  Love the Asiago color, going to pick up a sample next time I'm in Phoenix.  Great tips.  Thanks, Rachel!

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 04:18:43 PM »
I almost went with that laminate or something very similar during the last Home Depot Black Friday sale for the living and bedroom areas of a small house.  The beveled edge laminate is pretty, but it traps liquid in the channels, so that scared me off.  Love the Asiago color, going to pick up a sample next time I'm in Phoenix.  Great tips.  Thanks, Rachel!

You're welcome!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
+1 on Sherwin Williams. It's more expensive than the big box stores, but worth it.

When I bought a foreclosed rental last year, I inherited all of the extra paint. Previous owner was a home remodeler who had lost the property after taking a big loan to save his remodeling business. I painted a lot with my Mom growing up and she always used Sherwin Williams -- this was before big box stores -- and I was reminded again of how superior it is.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
I will inspect everything before buying, even a new toilet. I took 3 of the same model back to HD before they realized that the tank to bowl seal was cast off center and would cause it to leak on every single one. for $20 more I got the elongated bowl 1.5 GPF name brand.

Appliances are too expensive. Your 1st tenant is the only one who gets the niceness of "new appliances". Subsequent tenants won't care what you paid for it. Buy it used, make sure it's sparkling clean. I have no brand recommendations, but I limit myself to $100-150 each appliance. Even if it has to be replaced in 3-4 years, it's cheaper than a $600 new one that lasts 10.  Exception: upstairs delivery.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
This post is great! I don't have a rental yet but am hoping to in the not-too-distant future.

jhess002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »
This is a great thread - we generally get high-end appliances for our only rental unit.  These appliances are a good selling point for getting high quality/paying tenants.  But we are in an absurdly high rental market with many young professionals that value those types of things. 

However, for paint, we are lucky to have a store nearby that sells Amazon paint, which is recycled paint that works just as well as the average priced paint at any store. It also goes for around $60 for a 5 gallon bucket!  http://www.amazonpaint.com/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:12:54 PM by jhess002 »

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
Following

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 08:17:46 PM »

I have used the allure with the stick on edges.  It seems to be OK, and fairly quick.  I laid it over an existing vinyl, so the underlayment was smooth. 

It seemed like a decent product, I only used 6 boxes, so it was not too much.

Waste King disposals work well and are much cheaper than the ones at the big box stores.  I order from Amazon.  But don't put a disposal in a house with old metal drain lines.  They will get clogged.

I remove all my disposers as I remodel.  No one rents, or stays away because of them.  One less thing to worry about.  No aquarium gravel, no brillo pads, etc. will kill them if they are not installed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:21:16 PM by NoNonsenseLandlord »

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 07:56:47 AM »
I use coil top stoves.

Coil top electric stoves always.  Tenants invariably break the glass tops. 

Interesting opinions here. I just had to replace a stove at my rental house. It had a gas stove (the only gas fixture in the house), and the gas company required an inspection prior to turning on service. Inspector found a leak (many leaks, probably - the pipes are 50 year old iron) and gave me a $800-1000 estimate to repair. I found a guy who would do it for $400, but for that amount, I decided just to run some 6 ga. wire and replace with an electric stove, since I can do electrical work myself.

I ended up going with the glass-top range for $50 more, reasoning that it would be easier to clean and would therefore look better for the next tenants. My house is at the very upper end of the range for rentals in that market anyway, and I know that I personally hate cooking on coil stoves. I've never heard of anyone breaking the top on a glass range, but I guess I'll see how long it lasts.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »

I put it in my kitchen. It's great, easy to work with, waterproof so it won't warp like wood/laminate. (neighbours have laminate flooring and it's buckling) Friend put it in her entire main floor and loves it.

Make sure you go with the newer "click lock" not the "glue strip" type; less tricky to install, takes less time.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »
I ended up going with the glass-top range for $50 more, reasoning that it would be easier to clean and would therefore look better for the next tenants. My house is at the very upper end of the range for rentals in that market anyway, and I know that I personally hate cooking on coil stoves. I've never heard of anyone breaking the top on a glass range, but I guess I'll see how long it lasts.

Maybe they vary by model/brand but...   I've had a glass top.  I never found it easier to clean.

Personally, I detest electric cook tops.  But seeing as this is a rental thread, they might be appropriate for cost.  (But if you're renovating a house for rental and are ripping out some 65+ year old gas stove because you think it's crap -- there are people like me out there that probably want it!)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
Maybe they vary by model/brand but...   I've had a glass top.  I never found it easier to clean.

Personally, I detest electric cook tops.  But seeing as this is a rental thread, they might be appropriate for cost.  (But if you're renovating a house for rental and are ripping out some 65+ year old gas stove because you think it's crap -- there are people like me out there that probably want it!)

I prefer cooking on gas too. The stove we took out was not 65 years old, it was about 5 years old. As I noted in the story, I replaced it because it was just as cheap to get rid of the gas and have all electric appliances as it was to replace the gas lines. Plus, now I don't have to worry about the gas every time tenants move, or pay the $120 inspection fee every time if the gas gets shut off. Just so much easier. And I plan to sell the gas stove on Craigslist, so I'm not just planning to trash it.

Side note: You seriously find electric coil stoves easier to clean than glass? What the hell? You must have had a shitty glass top stove. The one we use is simple cleanup - just wipe.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »

Side note: You seriously find electric coil stoves easier to clean than glass? What the hell? You must have had a shitty glass top stove. The one we use is simple cleanup - just wipe.

Our glass top was terrible if there was a boilover.  Burned on stuff was really hard to get off.... It took a combo of razor blades and Bon Ami and quite a bit of work.

For coil tops, it depends on what's beneath it.  The plain aluminum pan can be cleaned with anything (up to sandpaper) ... or replaced for almost nothing if it looks like too much work.   If the pan is porcelain on steel... they seem easier to clean up.   Yes, porcelain and glass are effectively the same thing... but the pan is further removed from the heat than the glass top.

edit: I believe our glass top was Jenn-Aire ... if that matters.