Author Topic: Tree removal  (Read 4059 times)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Tree removal
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
Has anyone had experience with hiring a company to remove trees? I have to have up to 14 taken down, all within 35 feet of my house.  Its getting too dense and I've had two fall in the last three years, which have fortunately missed my house.

feelingroovy

• Bristles
Re: Tree removal
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
Yes, I have.  It's very fun to watch.  What do you want to know about it?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Hire a professional, with good insurance.  This is seriously dangerous work.

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
I have some personal experience in this area. I've taken down ~10 60 foot ash trees over the last two years. I've also hired professionals to do trees around power lines and ones leaning into the house.

For ones that I did myself, I used car tow straps and hand winches to pull the tree into a particular fall zone before actually cutting the base.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
Yes, several times. At my own house, had to have an old tree that broke and narrowly missed part of our house. Tree was about 100 ft tall,  VERY close to the house around 4-5 foot circumference and we had the stump ground out. Was just under $500 in a big city area and this was about 5 years ago.

Had trees removed at my childhood home in a small town this year. Something like 10 smaller trees and three trees well over 60-100 feet tall with large trunks, also ground down. Cost was around $1,800 for all.

Both companies hauled off all debris and having the stumps ground down allows you to replant in the area within a year (the root system will decompose fast).

Absolutely hire someone that is bonded and insured. It is dangerous work, and if the trees are close to your house, there is a chance that someone not trained might do property damage (and you also don't want to worry about someone injuring themselves on your property too).

Gin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
We have had trees removed, trimmed back, etc.  Get a couple of bids the difference between them can be huge.  If it is an area where you think you might mow the grass they need to have the stump recessed back when removed.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
I appreciate the advice, the price isn't as bad as I was expecting at first.  I actually know a commercial insurance agent who has a few of these type of companies as clients, its a good was to get a referral for an insured one.

I've been putting off this expense for a long time, I think I'm going to have to suck it up and pay.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
Reviving this thread as I've got trees on the brain.  Are trees worth the cost? 

I've got some aging pines covered in ivy... I've heard arguments both ways on the ivy, but most seem to agree that the ivy wouldn't be thriving if the tree was healthy.  So do I kill the ivy and let the tree live a little longer?  Remove the tree? 

Someone mentioned replanting -- can I not plant next to the old stump?  Is it worth planting new trees if they are just going to become a hazard in the future?

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
I only had a large tree removed once, and it was for $200.  It was on my property but covered the neighbors driveway (and mine) with sap.  He happened to have a side business getting rid of trees.  It was a win-win.  I covered his costs, and we both didn't have a tree dripping sap on our cars.

mustachemayhem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:42:06 PM »
Reviving this thread as I've got trees on the brain.  Are trees worth the cost? 

I've got some aging pines covered in ivy... I've heard arguments both ways on the ivy, but most seem to agree that the ivy wouldn't be thriving if the tree was healthy.  So do I kill the ivy and let the tree live a little longer?  Remove the tree? 

Someone mentioned replanting -- can I not plant next to the old stump?  Is it worth planting new trees if they are just going to become a hazard in the future?

The ivy can thrive if the tree is healthy. The ivy will cause problems with the tree though as it will increase the risk of disease in the bark. It will also provide "drag" or a "sail effect" when the wind blows. Trees require maintenance just like every other aspect of a home. The problem is most people don't prune trees and also often plant them to close to structures.

Planting next to an old stump would be a bad idea. Remember that the tree you see above the ground, often has roots the same size below the ground. If the old tree was diseased, it can also spread the disease to the new tree.