Author Topic: Squatters / fraud!!  (Read 19425 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Squatters / fraud!!
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »
What a crazy story!   I don't really understand why squatters can sometimes get tenants' protections, but if so, why can't some random person break into my house and just decide to stay there while I'm living there?  Do I have to have personal belongings to differentiate between B&E and squatting?

Check your local listings laws for specifics on how it works in your area.  :)

Here's some interesting reading on it in general: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squatting_in_the_United_States

You can also read about your local tenants rights, and what qualifies.

Here's a fun AirBnB story about having to evict someone, as they had tenant's rights after 30 days:
http://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-host-cant-get-squatter-to-leave-2014-7

The fact that it varies from state to state, and even city to city, makes it difficult to discuss more than anecdotes about how it COULD work, and is why the OP needs legal counsel (and I'm glad (s)he's sought it).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
Holy fuck-a-doodle!  Feel really bad for ya, OP.  I can't believe it also happened to someone else here as well.  Is it actually fairly common? 

Reading this thread from the start I knew something was up when the tenant wrote, " Plus im missing work to figure this out. "  No way.  At that point I knew either the tenant was the scam artist himself or in cahoots with them.  That last little bit of self-pity, over-the-top bullshittery, pushed my dirtbag meter to 100%.

Hope you get this resolved quickly.  BTW, I'd probably do everything.  Calling the cops, filing the court orders, immediate possession order, delivering a van load of hired Russian gangsters to the doorstep....

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
Wow!  What a mess.  So very sorry OP.  Pursue this to the full extent to the law immediately.  This guy knows what he's doing.  Getting directTV installed.  The nerve.

Tbill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
I got the people moved out. Locks are changed. It was peaceful. I'll post all the juicy details later.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
I got the people moved out. Locks are changed. It was peaceful. I'll post all the juicy details later.

Yay!  Whew!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »

At last!  Congratulations!

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2015, 06:36:23 PM »
What a relief!

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »

Awesome.  This has been one of the more interesting threads in the subforum of late!  Hope you didn't end up incurring much/any cost to achieve the result.  What a relief it must be for you.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2015, 06:45:51 PM »
I think I might be camping in that house until escrow closes, in case he tells his friends about your place....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2015, 12:50:21 AM »
I think I might be camping in that house until escrow closes, in case he tells his friends about your place....

Heh, yikes.

Or at least some better locks.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »

Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!  And Merry Christmas! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »
It's stories like these that make me love my index funds even more! What a mess!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »
Glad it worked out. Last year a friend was looking to rent a house in my neighborhood but found one that seemed too cheap. Turns out I walk by it everyday with my dog. I get in front of the house and  see a for rent sign with a phone #. I call the number and it turns out that he had not put an ad on Craig's list and he was asking a lot more for rent.  WE forwarded the info to the owner who called the police and they could have cared less.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »

Nice work!!

looking forward to the details!!!

Tbill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The Final Chapter
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2015, 12:05:39 AM »
And so its finally over. As I sit here in my pajamas typing away on my keyboard, my wife wrapping last minute Christmas presents, I haven't felt as relaxed in awhile. I had been anticipating Wednesday morning because thats when the original officer (lets call him John) would be returning to work after a day off. John and the Chief of police seemed to be the only officers in town that seemed to think my issue was a trespassing issue and highly likely a B&E. The other various dispatchers, officers, the constable, and the JP, considered my issue to be something that would require an eviction. Wednesday morning I woke up to a cell call from John, he said that he had heard I was still having issues with the non-tenant. He said that he had gone over to the house that morning and told the non-tenant that if your not moved out today your getting arrested, and it wont be a civil charge, it will be a criminal charge, and if you dont open the door when I show up he would kick it down and drag him out. Apparently he had gotten a message from the Chief that I was still having problems with the non-tenant. Moments later I had several text messages from the non-tenant telling me not to worry, he was packing up.

I started the 150 mile trek to the property armed with a #2 philips screwdriver and some new door hardware. The wave of motivation the non-tenant had recieved that morning didnt last long. By noon he was calling to say there was a problem, he couldnt get the ankle monitoring people to change his ankle monitor address till Monday. I told him that he needed to call them back and tell them it was an emergency!! and he could be arrested at any moment for trespassing, and the address transfer needed to happen immediately. That seemed to work, because he didn't mention it again. He also called to let me know that there were no moving trucks available in town for that day, so It looked like he would have to wait till Monday. I whipped out my MMM Republic Wireless phone and had him one located within about 15 minutes, less than 4 miles away.

When I got to the property, I called John and let him know I made it into town, he told me that non-tenant had been down to the police station complaining that he was being illegally evicted from his home. He said that the Sargent was initial concerned with this report, but after John filled him in on the details the Sargent told the non-tenant "sounds like you better hurry back to the house and pack fast". I watched as he moved the remainder of his belongings into the garage. the non-tenant seemed very polite and cooperative. I got the locks changed out.  I helped him move his larger items into the garage. He really didn't have much stuff, and most of it was from Rent-a-Center, it was kinda pathetic. John came by a few times to make sure things were going smooth. 

I followed non-tenant over to the truck rental place where he attempted to rent the truck. His credit card was declined. I considered paying for the truck myself, just to facilitate getting his crap off my property, but the clerk said they wouldn't accept cash and i wasn't about to put this truck on my card and let Dirt-bag drive it. So we left. I told him it looked like his stuff was going out to the curb. He pleaded to let him store his stuff in the garage overnight and he could borrow a trailer the next day to get his stuff out, I had only about 3 hours of sleep the night before, I was tired and agreed. I stayed the night in town. The next day, Christmas eve he showed up at the agreed upon time, sans truck trailer or anything that could be used to move stuff. It seemed he was having trouble procuring the truck trailer. It was then I noticed a door leading from the garage into the house had been kicked it. the jamb and trim was broken. It had been shoddily repaired with some wood screws and roofing nails. Non-tenant said he had located his trailer and drove off in his car. I moved all his stuff out to the curb while he was gone. Locked the house up and went to Lowes to get supplies to repair the door. While I was there he texted me "I got the trailer. On my way back. HaHa understandable! Merry Christmas". When I returned all his stuff was gone!! He was all gone, finally gone. I spent a few hours cleaning up and repairing the door, then back on the road home.

At one point when non-tenant was out of earshot, I asked his girlfriend if she had met this person whom had supposedly defrauded them of their money. She said "no". I said do you think he exists? She said "I dont know, I dont know what to believe". I think thats a pretty good indication that he kicked in that door and repaired it himself. If you are going to rent a house that you cant really afford in the first place, I would think that you would take your girlfriend to meet the landlord to see the house before you decide and pay. The box of roofing nails and screws used to re-attache the broken door trim where still in the garage. Pretty weird.

All in all I dont feel angry at this guy for doing what he did and being the dirtbag that he is. Dirtbags have always been a part of society and there will always be dirtbags. Hes just being who he is, playing his role in society. I think its interesting that this happened on the heels of MMM's latest article about theft. I dont think his idea is wrong, and I mostly live my life that way. I may be slightly more warry after this though.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 03:16:37 AM by Tbill »

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »
I hate this person and wish people like him didn't exist, but you gotta admit he has balls the size of monster truck tires. The things he could accomplish if he put that fearless audacity to better use...

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2015, 12:34:36 AM »
I don't know if it's allowed but I think a Christmas present for Officer John is in order. That guy saved your ass!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2015, 02:38:08 AM »
1) Awesome that you called bullshit on the ankle monitoring thing
2) Awesome you called bullshit on can't get a moving truck thing
3) SO AWESOME that the tenant's last minute police station tactic didn't work cause Officer John was there

Three cheers for Officer John!

You did a great job handling this, that's about as smooth as it could go, and will make a funny story.

Let buyers know the house is ready for inspections!  Good luck on the closing.  :)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2015, 04:28:17 AM »
I don't know if it's allowed but I think a Christmas present for Officer John is in order. That guy saved your ass!

i think thats an awesome idea. even a gift card so the guy can get lunch for a while would be pretty cool.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2015, 08:07:33 AM »
Yep. Call up the precinct non-emergency number and ask "what's the highest-dollar gift officers are allowed to accept?"

I can't believe you even considered helping that guy with a moving van. I would have just said "you can't find a van? Then I hope you enjoy having your shit on the curb!"

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »

i think thats an awesome idea. even a gift card so the guy can get lunch for a while would be pretty cool.

Definitely.  And maybe let John's superiors know that you really appreciate John's and the Chief's efforts on your behalf.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »

Definitely.  And maybe let John's superiors know that you really appreciate John's and the Chief's efforts on your behalf.

That's a great idea.

With the gift idea, I'd be worried about--in some sort of suit/disposition later--being asked if you paid the officer anything for his eviction, and it looking bad, even if it was just a small gift card.  Unlikely, but possible.

Some homemade cookies and lavish praise to his superiors and such wouldn't be amiss though.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2015, 09:55:41 AM »
I work for a city entity. We are not allowed to accept any kind of gift with "real" monetary value. However, we can accept food. (How that doesn't equate to stuff of monetary value, I don't get. But .. whatever.)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »
When I worked for the government we could only accept food and we could not take it home but had to put in break room and share with everyone.   I would do that to thank them.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
I work for a city entity. We are not allowed to accept any kind of gift with "real" monetary value. However, we can accept food. (How that doesn't equate to stuff of monetary value, I don't get. But .. whatever.)

Some fancy chocolates or gift basket of food or something, perhaps?

(Not donuts. ;) )

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »

Some fancy chocolates or gift basket of food or something, perhaps?

(Not donuts. ;) )

So far for Christmas this year we got - multiple bags of fancy pants popcorn, multiple tins of fudge, a HUGE platter of cookies (not homemade, but from a fancy store name) - and that is just upstairs in the office area where I work. Downstairs I know has gotten much, much more. I'd go for the donuts myself. :)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
A letter to the city council or town manager would help John too.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »
Yes, what about ordering pizza for the whole department? Of course, let them know that on X day they don't need to pack a lunch, but that would be a nice gesture.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »
If the guy kicked open a door I'd be worried about the guy coming back, even after I had changed the locks. I guess the nice thing about having a contract is you're probably not putting a key box back out. I suppose busting down a door would be a much clearer case of B&E that stealing a key and claiming you moved in.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Squatters / fraud!!
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
Ask him if it would be helpful if you wrote a letter, ask who it should be written to and what it should contain. Then write it. Letters like this can be pure gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
You Sir handled the situation like a boss.  Thank goodness for Officer John.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »
The plot thickens!!!

I realize i am making a lot of posts about this. This issue is pretty much consuming my world right now and my scope of reality my be a little shaken, so I hope I am not offending you guys by taking up so much forum space. If its inappropriate for me to post so much information please let me know.

One of my coworkers was able to find some information on the guy in my house. Basically we have been able to disprove several things he told me.

1) He did not transfer the utilities to his name as he had told me. I called the utility company and they confirmed I am still paying the bills.
2) He is not out on bail for the crime he had told me. He was convicted of CRIMINAL TRESPASS OF A HABITATION about 2 months ago. He also has been convicted of THEFT and contributing to the truancy of a minor several times.
3) the neighbor just called me and he is currently having direct TV satellite installed.

Its beginning to come clear to me this guy was not scammed. He is a con artist. I called the police back, they wouldnt do anything even in light of his conviction for the same issue. I consulted with a lawyer this morning and I was told my options are police or 30 day eviction..

My next move is trying to get ahold of the original officer that was going to arrest him and begging for help while also beginning eviction. I'm very pissed at this point and I think I may turn off the utilities.

All the more reason not to show compassion. Should have had him arrested when you had the chance. Let the jury sort it out. Too bad you can't teach guys like this a lesson.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:40:14 PM by Bearded Man »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: The Final Chapter
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
All in all I dont feel angry at this guy for doing what he did and being the dirtbag that he is. Dirtbags have always been a part of society and there will always be dirtbags. Hes just being who he is, playing his role in society. I think its interesting that this happened on the heels of MMM's latest article about theft. I dont think his idea is wrong, and I mostly live my life that way. I may be slightly more warry after this though.

As so many have already said you handled this very well.

I'm commenting to say that this is a new scam for me. I'd long ago heard of scumbags pretending to be landlords and renting property that they did not own.

But pretending to be the victim of a rental scam is news to me. I wonder how may times he got away with it before he got his stylish new ankle bracelet?

I'd just about be willing to bet with the lower vacancy and foreclosure rates, he has slim pickings ahead.

manonfire1007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2015, 11:20:30 PM »
Though I'm sure this isn't a common occurrence, this story has me leaning away from real estate and being happy with lower returns in the market. The drama and worry aren't for me. Thanks, and well done.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2015, 12:55:26 AM »
Though I'm sure this isn't a common occurrence, this story has me leaning away from real estate and being happy with lower returns in the market. The drama and worry aren't for me. Thanks, and well done.

The person was selling their property.

This could just as easily happen with a home someone owned and sold after they moved to a different state due to a job.  Or a vacation home.  Or whatever.

There's nothing related to "real estate investing" in this story.

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
I have to disagree with the comments of how well you handled it.  Indeed, you handled it "nicely", but let's honest, you got lucky.  The only thing that kept you from getting walked on more is the good graces of law enforcement.  If I was writing a book on what not to do in this situation, I would draw on your example. 

dmbsux

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
I have to disagree with the comments of how well you handled it.  Indeed, you handled it "nicely", but let's honest, you got lucky.  The only thing that kept you from getting walked on more is the good graces of law enforcement.  If I was writing a book on what not to do in this situation, I would draw on your example.

Agreed.  I can't believe OP and others actually bought the initial story from the squatter about the mysterious 3rd party and the emailed lease.  Occam's Razor and all that...

I can only attribute this gullibility to the preponderance of engineers on this forum, many of whom command huge base salaries but also happen to be complete social morons.  Congratulations, engineers.  You're having a moment right now.  There's never been a better time to be a geek.  But this is the downside to being an engineer.  You end up believing completely ridiculous stories. 

By the way, this is not a personal attack; I am critiquing the forum, not the OP.   

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2015, 10:18:35 PM »

Agreed.  I can't believe OP and others actually bought the initial story from the squatter about the mysterious 3rd party and the emailed lease.  Occam's Razor and all that...

It's actually a super common scam for people to rent out places that don't belong to them.  This guy took advantage of that fact, and pulled the scam himself, but his story was not unbelievable.

Google search.

dmbsux

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »

It's actually a super common scam for people to rent out places that don't belong to them.  This guy took advantage of that fact, and pulled the scam himself, but his story was not unbelievable. [Emphasis added]

Google search.

In your mind, at what point did the squatter's story become unbelievable?  When he said he was getting DirectTV installed, or before then? :)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2016, 02:30:10 PM »

I can only attribute this gullibility to the preponderance of engineers on this forum, many of whom command huge base salaries but also happen to be complete social morons.  Congratulations, engineers.  You're having a moment right now.  There's never been a better time to be a geek.  But this is the downside to being an engineer.  You end up believing completely ridiculous stories. 

By the way, this is not a personal attack; I am critiquing the forum, not the OP.

The only issue with your logic, and critique, is that's totally wrong. A good friend just closed a single family home in a nice part of a desirable, northeast city. She spent months battling Craigslist scammers, who were marketing her home as a rental. They pasted all the photos and info. from the real estate listing, and were hoping to meet a potential renter to sign a lease, and hand over a check for first month and security. Her efforts included having a security system installed, to prevent the scammer from showing the house while she was gone, repeatedly flagging ads on CL, and even once accidentally meeting potential victims on the street, while they waited for the "landlord" to show up.

Basically, what you believe to be gullibility, was reality for our dear friend, and hardly anything new to the professionals selling her home.

dmbsux

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2016, 03:15:03 PM »

The only issue with your logic, and critique, is that's totally wrong. A good friend just closed a single family home in a nice part of a desirable, northeast city. She spent months battling Craigslist scammers, who were marketing her home as a rental. They pasted all the photos and info. from the real estate listing, and were hoping to meet a potential renter to sign a lease, and hand over a check for first month and security. Her efforts included having a security system installed, to prevent the scammer from showing the house while she was gone, repeatedly flagging ads on CL, and even once accidentally meeting potential victims on the street, while they waited for the "landlord" to show up.

Basically, what you believe to be gullibility, was reality for our dear friend, and hardly anything new to the professionals selling her home.

I think you need to re-read the facts stipulated on pg 1 of the thread. Doesn't sound like the police officer bought the squatter's story, not even initially.  Sounds like his BS meter was going off right away, too.  You might also want to give your "good friend" more credit.  Given the same situation, her BS meter might have been going off, too, when she spoke with the convict, who doesn't appear to be very good at squatting since it's later revealed that he's already failed at this endeavor at least once.

And even if the facts themselves don't tip you off, then maybe you should realize that the same way some people are naturally good at engineering and coding, there are also people who have a gift for detecting bull$hit.  This isn't some magical ability, and it's not that rare. It just happens to be rare on a forum composed of engineers. 

Have a great day.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »
Well, I guess we will have to disagree on this one. Our friend could of just as easily walked in to the exact scenario, of discovering the new tenant, but discovered that she was being scammed when she approached a car that was idling at the curb. The car was full of an excited family that found a prefect rental, and was waiting for the landlord to arrive.
as for your smug claim that the demographic of this forum leads to some non-existent gullibility, sorry but not only are we discussing a common and widely know scam, but the whole concept of the OP and other's being too naïve, is IMHO, a construct of a vivid imagination.

dmbsux

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
Well, I guess we will have to disagree on this one. Our friend could of just as easily walked in to the exact scenario, of discovering the new tenant, but discovered that she was being scammed when she approached a car that was idling at the curb. The car was full of an excited family that found a prefect rental, and was waiting for the landlord to arrive.
as for your smug claim that the demographic of this forum leads to some non-existent gullibility, sorry but not only are we discussing a common and widely know scam, but the whole concept of the OP and other's being too naïve, is IMHO, a construct of a vivid imagination.

Smug, you say?  Geez, you were *so* close to being polite :)  With that said, +1 for using the phrase "vivid imagination"; that's a great way to call someone a child w/out actually using that word.  Now who's being smug, LOL...

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
Time to drag out the film Pacific Heights which always reinforces my gut instincts about tenants.

Don't like 'em, don't want 'em in my tiny houses. Fortunately my houses are not habitable and squatters would walk in, turn up their nose, and slither out before setting up,squatter shop.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:51:06 PM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
I'm relieved for you. This sounded like an absolute nightmare, even though it was resolved very quickly and (thank goodness) peacefully. Looking forward to the report.

And please tell a journalist! I had no idea this was a thing!

Fuck no, don't publicize the scam.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »

Smug, you say?  Geez, you were *so* close to being polite :)  With that said, +1 for using the phrase "vivid imagination"; that's a great way to call someone a child w/out actually using that word.  Now who's being smug, LOL...

You state that the OP and members here, are clueless and gullible, based on your theory that the body here is largely comprised of engineers, and the engineering mindset by default lacks "street smarts". Oddly, enough, you reached a conclusion that somehow managed to escape the majority of local law enforcement the OP dealt with, as they were also below your caliber, and found it difficult to believe that this was anything more than a tenant's rights issue. Finding the OP to lack credibility when he stated that he was the victim of a professional squatter. Laughably, you then take offense when someone describes your strange attack on many here as being smug. Then you decide that stating that having a vivid imagination is synonymous with being called a child.  Sorry, but childish was the furthest thing from my mind.

No, deciding that everybody, the victim, local law enforcement, folks on a thread full of knowledgeable RE investors, and those that are well aware of the scam, are all gullible rubes, doesn't make you childish in the least. Thanks for the input, enjoyed your posts.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
There was a family living in the house. I am not going to fault the OP for being slow to evict a family.

I would rather be too slow, than too fast. I would rather err on the side of giving scammers a few extra days rather than making life harder for  innocent scam victims.

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
To the OP:

You, sir, are the greatest thing that ever lived. You handled the dirtbag like a pro.

My inlaws owned some acreage in Western WA state about 15 years ago. They lived in Eastern WA at the time they wanted to sell it. My wife lived about 80 miles from this property (this was before I even met her). Upon hearing that her parents wanted to sell this property, she decided to drive up and post signs with a phone number, etc.

When she got there she was surprised to find a couple of RVs on the property as well as a log hauling truck being loaded with trees from the property. She found the person directing the operation and was pointed to one of the squatters.

It seems this squatter had called the logging company in to sell the timber, as this was now "his" land as a squatter. She argued but was unable to persuade the honorable squatters to see it her way. She contacted the Sheriff, but nothing could be done in time. The company got their timber, the squatter got his money, and both vanished by the time she drove up the next weekend.

One squatter remained in an RV and refused to leave. My wife to be started the eviction process, posted the No Trespassing signs and set to cleaning the property up...oh yes, I failed to disclose that there were mountains of trash left by the squatters, who had been there for years, and by others who saw garbage and were either dishonest or who actually thought that this was now a public dumping ground.

My wife rented a trailer every weekend for 3 months, enlisting friends and volunteers, to go up and clean the property so that it could be sold.

On the day the eviction orders were ready, a Sheriff went with her to evict the squatter. The squatter who answered the door was a woman, and from her performance you'd have thought she was a relative of Meryl Streep.

Oh the tears, the supplications, the begging for just a "little" more time so that she could get the only friend she knew with a truck...who just happened to be out of town for another few weeks...to tow her RV out of there. Could the evil property owner possibly have a heart, possibly show compassion to the blessed squatter to stay another few weeks? Because by then, sure, she'd be gone. After all, she didn't want to cause any trouble here, she was just trying to get by....and on and on and on.

My wife had no more sympathy for these people. She demanded they be gone and RIGHT NOW. Dramatically the squatter surrendered. The next day the RV was gone.

After a staggering amount of anxiety, stress, money, loss of property (trees), and time the blessed and wonderful people that were the squatters were gone. The property sold not too long after that.

I guess the lesson is to stay on top of things, don't own property without a PM if you don't live nearby and can't check it often, and expect the dregs of society to be ever vigilant for opportunities. The only way to stay on top of them is to be vigilant as well. Pathetic that it has to be this way but it takes all kinds, right?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »

And even if the facts themselves don't tip you off, then maybe you should realize that the same way some people are naturally good at engineering and coding, there are also people who have a gift for detecting bull$hit.  This isn't some magical ability, and it's not that rare. It just happens to be rare on a forum composed of engineers. 

Your stereotyping of engineers as socially inept and gullible is offensive. Knock it off, asshole!

MOD EDIT: Forum Rule #1.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:29:29 AM by arebelspy »