Author Topic: Sound barrier for road noise  (Read 2040 times)

brute

• Pencil Stache
Sound barrier for road noise
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
Anyone ever put into, or get the state to put in, a sound barrier for freeway noise? There's a property near me that is glorious. Lots of character, plenty of living space, 3000 sq feet of office space, 4 acres with trees and a creek that runs through it, a barn. Decent location in general. Except that it's right by the freeway and you can't hear yourself talk as soon as you go outside.

Here's the kicker, its listed at $220k. It needs a little work, but this thing is practically free. Renting out the office space below would pay the mortgage twice over. But god dang I don't like that road noise. Any thoughts?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Sound barrier for road noise
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
How much can you hear the road noise from the interior?

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
How much can you hear the road noise from the interior?

Honestly not very much at all. A fan would block it out totally, but it ruins the ability to enjoy being outside

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »
Anyone ever put into, or get the state to put in, a sound barrier for freeway noise? There's a property near me that is glorious. Lots of character, plenty of living space, 3000 sq feet of office space, 4 acres with trees and a creek that runs through it, a barn. Decent location in general. Except that it's right by the freeway and you can't hear yourself talk as soon as you go outside.

Here's the kicker, its listed at $220k. It needs a little work, but this thing is practically free. Renting out the office space below would pay the mortgage twice over. But god dang I don't like that road noise. Any thoughts?

Have you been in a yard adjacent to a freeway with a sound wall? It's still really loud =( They definitely help, but it's still louder than you would want to sit outdoors and chat or garden with. Plus, they do weird things to the light and humidity in your yard then, particularly if it's at the top of a slope like it so often is.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
I would not think a large stone wall would be overly expensive.  I have seen houses where individuals built them.  They block (reflect) the sound.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »
IME, sound barriers don't help that much unless the house is literally next to/behind it.  Sure, it may help a little, take the edge off engine revving, but the noise will still be there.  Next time you see a sound barrier, go check out the street on the other side and see if it's enough for you.

My understanding is the majority of people acclimate somewhat to loud noises.  For example, people who live near trains say that after a few months they hardly notice it.

But you have to know yourself.  For me, it would constantly get on my nerves.  I might even get more sensitive to the noise the longer it bothers me.

But there is also evidence that, even for those who are not consciously bothered by the noise, it has hidden negative physical and psychological effects.  For example, heart rate/cortisol increase even while sleeping.  Not worth it to me.

Air quality is also proven to be terrible near freeways.  Within 200-500 feet, say.  Not just emissions, mostly brake and tire dust particulates.  Even EV will not solve that issue

As you can tell, I'm cranky well beyond my years.  Now get off my median strip.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:48:13 AM by dragoncar »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
On second thought, considering your note on office space, why not just use it as a rental property?  You can try living there and see if you like it, but commercial customers don't typically worry about outside noise (and it's OK inside as you mentioned).  If you don't like it, rent out the residential space, too.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »

Have you been in a yard adjacent to a freeway with a sound wall? It's still really loud =( They definitely help, but it's still louder than you would want to sit outdoors and chat or garden with. Plus, they do weird things to the light and humidity in your yard then, particularly if it's at the top of a slope like it so often is.

Good to know. I haven't been in a yard like that in years, but now that you mention it, the noise was still pretty badd.

On second thought, considering your note on office space, why not just use it as a rental property?  You can try living there and see if you like it, but commercial customers don't typically worry about outside noise (and it's OK inside as you mentioned).  If you don't like it, rent out the residential space, too.
IME, sound barriers don't help that much unless the house is literally next to/behind it.  Sure, it may help a little, take the edge off engine revving, but the noise will still be there.  Next time you see a sound barrier, go check out the street on the other side and see if it's enough for you.

My understanding is the majority of people acclimate somewhat to loud noises.  For example, people who live near trains say that after a few months they hardly notice it.

But you have to know yourself.  For me, it would constantly get on my nerves.  I might even get more sensitive to the noise the longer it bothers me.

But there is also evidence that, even for those who are not consciously bothered by the noise, it has hidden negative physical and psychological effects.  For example, heart rate/cortisol increase even while sleeping.  Not worth it to me.

Air quality is also proven to be terrible near freeways.  Within 200-500 feet, say.  Not just emissions, mostly brake and tire dust particulates.  Even EV will not solve that issue

As you can tell, I'm cranky well beyond my years.  Now get off my median strip.

I'm a cranky dude myself. Great point about the air quality. I like the idea of land because I like the idea of it being a little more natural and clean. Freeway living is a bad idea. As to buying it and renting it out, I'd go for that if I already owned a residence, but I can't quite bring myself to buy a rental while I'm still renting. Emotions.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
Why do you think it's so cheap? You want to buy it and make the city/county/state solve your problem? Seems just a tiny bit unrealistic. I'd pass. No matter what you do, the freeway's always going to be there.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »
one idea is to rent a bulldozer and just build up a huge berm yourself.  Might technically need a permit, though.  Upsides: You get to play with a construction vehicle.  You can make a hobbit home under the berm.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
Why do you think it's so cheap? You want to buy it and make the city/county/state solve your problem? Seems just a tiny bit unrealistic. I'd pass. No matter what you do, the freeway's always going to be there.

I know why it's so cheap. It's taking a junk property and making it into something livable that's fun!

one idea is to rent a bulldozer and just build up a huge berm yourself.  Might technically need a permit, though.  Upsides: You get to play with a construction vehicle.  You can make a hobbit home under the berm.

That would be a lot of fun. It would level out the ground too. I'll pass on this property, but one of these days I'll have something to myself to do crazy stuff with. Buddy of mine is selling real estate in Wyoming, just listed a place with 45 acres for $53k. This I can get behind.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
I know why it's so cheap. It's taking a junk property and making it into something livable that's fun!
Lol, I was too tired to write the rest of this out yesterday. Our current flip project is at the far end of a cul-de-sac that opens out at the freeway. In the back, there's a huge canal, complete with barb wire fence. Very pretty. Fortunately, there is a huge sound wall already in place. It's obscured by trees, which helps. The fence will be shielded with a wooden fence, complete with strategically placed trellises. We bought it because location, location, location. It was most definitely junky (more like all-original + hoarder house), and we love the process of making it over into something beautiful. And the expected selling price based on local and recent comps? $1.2M. Crazy Bay Area prices.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 06:16:45 AM »
The right trees help, but as the website below points out, a thick, high wall is better than a tall hedge. Broad leaf conifers which grow right down to the ground, but they take years to reach, say 10 metres in height.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/spaces/noise-reduction-plants.htm

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
Lol, I was too tired to write the rest of this out yesterday. Our current flip project is at the far end of a cul-de-sac that opens out at the freeway. In the back, there's a huge canal, complete with barb wire fence. Very pretty. Fortunately, there is a huge sound wall already in place. It's obscured by trees, which helps. The fence will be shielded with a wooden fence, complete with strategically placed trellises. We bought it because location, location, location. It was most definitely junky (more like all-original + hoarder house), and we love the process of making it over into something beautiful. And the expected selling price based on local and recent comps? $1.2M. Crazy Bay Area prices.

Sounds like a cool project. Some great points on the resell value and flipping. I don't know if you have posted/ are able to post pictures of the reno, but I love stuff like that.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 04:17:18 AM »
You dont get use to the noise in fact it ends up irritating you more. We bought a beautiful house years back with a busy road behind because of all the trees, a pool etc.. and my DW really wanted it, even had a waterfall , but that noise took all the relaxation of ever going outside. And in our case we could not hear at all inside. No thank you!