Author Topic: Replace or repair water heater?  (Read 1524 times)

shanaling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Replace or repair water heater?
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
Hello,

I have a 10-year old electric 40-gallon water heater, and this morning we found that we have no hot water. The plumber quoted us $400, but won't charge if he cannot fix it. I looked up the price for a comparable electric water heater and it turned out to be around $400 not including installation cost.

Given that it's already 10 years old, would you repair or replace?

Thanks!

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: Replace or repair water heater?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:27:30 AM »
Replace.  The typical lifespan of most water heaters is 10-15 years.  And newer ones are more efficient.

/\ /\  THIS  /\ /\

MaikoTsumi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
If your unit isn't cracked, then replacing element(s) will only cost $15-$20.  It's a DIY and is simple as hell. You can extend the life of your unit by doing a flush and replace the sacrifice rod at the same time, even doubling the lifespan.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
If your unit isn't cracked, then replacing element(s) will only cost $15-$20.  It's a DIY and is simple as hell. You can extend the life of your unit by doing a flush and replace the sacrifice rod at the same time, even doubling the lifespan.

I like the idea of replacing the sacrificial anode. But since the water heater is already 10 years old, and most sacrificial anodes are done around the 4 or 5-year mark, I believe that this water heater is nearing the end of its life.

So, my recommendation is to replace it. Every 4 or 5 years, replace the sacrificial anode. Your next water heater should get you 20+ years.

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 01:37:47 AM »
I would say replace with a best efficiency one you can find.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:58:12 AM »
Replace. You’re guaranteed to have to deal with it again in the near future, when prices of water heaters might go up.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!