Author Topic: Rental Opportunity in area lacking rentals  (Read 1166 times)

MustacheTiger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rental Opportunity in area lacking rentals
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »
All, I am looking to buy a home in an area that is currently cultivating several very nice new construction neighborhoods. I would love to scoop up one of these brand new homes that are very favorably priced and close to work. However, I strongly want to potentially rent out this property in the next 1-2 years. When I research the area on Zillow there are almost no rentals listed. Does this indicate a bad area to invest in rental propery? Or is it an opportunity to fit demand where supply is severly lacking?

Thanks in advance!

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Rental Opportunity in area lacking rentals
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:11:38 AM »
When I research the area on Zillow there are almost no rentals listed. Does this indicate a bad area to invest in rental property? Or is it an opportunity to fit demand where supply is severly lacking? Thanks in advance!
Maybe. While you have identified the supply side of the equation, you still don't know about the demand side. Try posting a fake rental add on craigslist with your hypothetical property and see how much response you get.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »
How much would the house cost, and how much would you expect to get in rent? That's usually the starting point...

-W

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »
Check more than just Zillow before you conclude there aren't rentals, too. Not every area has much coverage from Zillow, Realtor.com and the like, and even if houses for sale are covered well, that doesn't always translate to rentals. (Where I live is an example).

And yes, there's the demand side as well.