Author Topic: Real Estate agent problem  (Read 2333 times)

A mom

• Stubble
Real Estate agent problem
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
We are working to make a house purchase in the next several weeks in a pretty hot  real estate market. I got a recommendation of a realtor and she took me to see five houses,  none of which  ended up filling the bill.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:34:52 PM by A mom »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Real Estate agent problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Did you sign an agreement with the original agent?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
No, but I had a family member ( now deceased) who sold real estate, and fickle clients were seen as dishonorable people. Don't want to be that. :)

Without an agreement, you don't really have any obligation to an agent, especially if said agent is unavailable for whatever reason. Her arrangements with colleagues aren't really your problem. I don't know how the intra-agency politics play out. Your next preferred agent may not agree to take you on to avoid conflict.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »
IMO, a fickle client is one that wastes the agent's time. However, unless you have a formal Buyer's Agent agreement, you are free to use whomever you want.

You should have an agent who is reasonably accessible and shows you only what you specify your wants are. Anything else is a waste of time. Your agent of choice should also be skillful in negotiation & working the deal to a successful close after the contract has been agreed to. It isn't about just finding the appropriate property.

We usually work with a team of agents & it is important to be comfortable with them all, but there's always one lead person who should be very experienced, i.e. successful. If one subs for the other, they work out how to split their commission, if necessary.

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »
Unfortunately, this is the cost of a family emergency when you only get paid on the final sale. To me, it just seems the way business works.

Send her an Amazon gift card or a restaurant gift card, thank her for help, but let her know you want to move forward and unfortunately she isn't available.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:09:47 PM »
It would be different if she showed you a house that you were interested in. Instead, you have actual proof that she doesn't understand what you want. If the 'family emergency' hadn't happened & she continued to show you houses that didn't measure up, how long would you continue with her? More time spent does NOT equal more obligation in this case.

I don't think you owe her anything. The issue here is that she has been wasting your time, not to mention the opportunity cost of missing out on a property that would meet your criteria. The nature of the realty business is that you are providing her with the opportunity of a sales commission, which she wouldn't have without YOU. If you are not getting what you will be paying dearly for, MOVE ON NOW.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
I went through a similar situation. I ended up giving the realtor $500 cash. Business not compromised, values not compromised. Everyone's happy. There's no reason you can't give her referrals down the road, either.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:46 AM »
Unfortunately, this is the cost of a family emergency when you only get paid on the final sale. To me, it just seems the way business works.

Send her an Amazon gift card or a restaurant gift card, thank her for help, but let her know you want to move forward and unfortunately she isn't available.

Real estate agent here.  If I got a gift card from every "client" who decided not to use my services... I'd be happy :) Most of the time I get jack. 

Don't feel obligated to use her OR the esteemed colleague.  She could have easily contacted the agent you know and wanted to work with and worked something out with them, especially if they're in the same firm.  In that situation, if I knew I couldn't help for weeks at a time, I would have referred you to the person you wanted to work with for a 25% referral fee.  Why couldn't she do that? It doesn't really matter WHO it is, 99% of agents I know will take a client referral.