Author Topic: Landlording - should I call these people back  (Read 1378 times)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Landlording - should I call these people back
« on: February 28, 2019, 11:26:17 AM »
I just got a voicemail from a collections agency asking to verify tenancy for my tenant.  Should I call them back?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Landlording - should I call these people back
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »
This type of call is why I never answer the phone unless I recognize the number.  My approach is not to call back.  I have no idea who is calling no matter what the caller says and I do not share any information about my tenants unless there is a legal requirement to do so.  I do note the date and time of the call, and the alleged identity of the caller. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »
No way.

From a purely selfish standpoint, if your tenants have debt, you want to be first in line to collect any money. They don't need to be stressed trying to pay a collection agency as well.

Second, collection agencies are 95% scumbags. Fuck 'em.

Third, what Another Read posted.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:30:30 PM »
I just got a voicemail from a collections agency asking to verify tenancy for my tenant.  Should I call them back?

I do not do business with people who call me on the phone if I do not know them already or I have not contacted them to ask to do business with them.

Period.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »

No, you should not call them back.  No good can possibly come of it, so why would you go out of your way?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
So, I made a stupid. Company actually writes auto loans - tenant actually asked me to call them back because he's buying a car.

Saw very low ratings in google, a generic business name, and a brief "we've been buying contracts since . . . tag line" and thought "debt collector".

So thanks for the advice - I don't field calls from unknown numbers and will continue to not do that, however this case was actually pretty innocuous.