Author Topic: Cockroaches?  (Read 2550 times)

The 585

Cockroaches?
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:30 AM »
Within the past month or so, we found three cockroaches on separate occasions-- one in each bathroom, and one on the bedroom floor (!!). They're pretty big too, at least 1 to 2 inches long. Got some borax powder to sprinkle around but not sure that'll completely solve the problem. We're renters, so I was wondering do landlords typically take care of cockroach treatment in these instances?

We're very clean, but it's a very old townhouse (late 1800's) with old hardwood floors. Also, nextdoor neighbor with adjoining walls recently moved out, and the new owner is doing some renovations. I'm thinking maybe that could be what's driving them into our house. As a renter I was hoping you guys might have some advice, thanks!!

montecristo1985

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cockroaches?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
In my rentals, cockroaches are considered the responsibility of the tenant. 

But if I do get stuck with them after a move, I usually call out a professional exterminator.  I've tried other methods and they just don't seem to work that well, and you have to do multiple applications, and for me it just isn't worth the bother.  Of course, this is usually a full on infestation, not one or two wandering in.  My dad has had good luck with www.doityourselfpestcontrol.com if you want to give that a try.  I've not seen borax be very effective to be perfectly honest.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
Read your lease to see if anything is covered about extermination. If not you are probably on the hook to get it done if your land lord doesn't want to. With my parent's rent houses they get the place exterminated if there are roaches/fleas when a tenant moves out. Once the new tenant moves in any further extermination is the tenant's responsibility.

Not sure where you live but if the roaches are 1 - 2 inches long they could be water bugs. Hard to keep the random water bug out of your house. Best you can do is have pesticide down so when they crawl over it they die.

As far as do it yourself treatment, stuff called Bifen XTS 25% is very effective at killing anything that crawls across it. It's oil based so last longer outside. Every few months I spray it around the outside of my house, a couple feet up the wall and a couple feet in the grass from the foundation. I also coat my porches and door way entrances with it. It says it can stain surfaces but haven't had that happen. There is also a water based version which is less concentrated that says it doesn't stain. Note: I have no rug rats (kids) crawling around so I don't have to worry about that as it relates to touching the stuff on the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-XTS-Bifenthrin-Concentrate-Quart/dp/B007SI74GA

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »
My recommendation is Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth.

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/natural-roach-killer/

The problem with most chemical treatments is their effectiveness
degrades over time.  Diatomaceous Earth can be left in dry areas
indefinitely to control future infestations.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »
Read your lease to see if anything is covered about extermination. If not you are probably on the hook to get it done if your land lord doesn't want to. With my parent's rent houses they get the place exterminated if there are roaches/fleas when a tenant moves out. Once the new tenant moves in any further extermination is the tenant's responsibility.

Not sure where you live but if the roaches are 1 - 2 inches long they could be water bugs. Hard to keep the random water bug out of your house. Best you can do is have pesticide down so when they crawl over it they die.

As far as do it yourself treatment, stuff called Bifen XTS 25% is very effective at killing anything that crawls across it. It's oil based so last longer outside. Every few months I spray it around the outside of my house, a couple feet up the wall and a couple feet in the grass from the foundation. I also coat my porches and door way entrances with it. It says it can stain surfaces but haven't had that happen. There is also a water based version which is less concentrated that says it doesn't stain. Note: I have no rug rats (kids) crawling around so I don't have to worry about that as it relates to touching the stuff on the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-XTS-Bifenthrin-Concentrate-Quart/dp/B007SI74GA

Good advice.

Another good product I've used is Martin's "Viper".

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:14 AM »
I live in China. Every condo is roach infested. All our neighbors' places have roaches. Here is my standard roach-killing protocol for any new apartment I move into.

1. Spray all door jambs and windows with Raid. Spray all drains with Raid. Spray under the fridge, stove, and inside shelves and cabinets with Raid.
2. Leave the cabinet doors open, but otherwise completely seal the apartment, closing all doors and windows so the fumes stay in the condo.
3. Leave the unit and wait one to two days.
4. Enter unit and sweep up all the dead roaches that should be now lying all over the floor. (I once swept up over 20 dead roaches).
5. Repeat steps 1-4 until you enter the condo and see no dead roaches.
6. Give everything a good, soapy cleanse to get rid of all the poison.
7. Spray a line of Raid on the outside of the door frame and window frames to keep new roaches from entering.

I typically use two large cans of Raid and I make sure to wear a N95 mask,  but I've found that this keeps the roaches away for at least a year.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:01:07 PM »
Within the past month or so, we found three cockroaches on separate occasions-- one in each bathroom, and one on the bedroom floor (!!). They're pretty big too, at least 1 to 2 inches long...

The fact that they are bigger is a good sign. It sounds like you are talking about American cockroaches, also called waterbugs. These are normally 1-2 inches long, and they like water(hence the name) so they are commonly found in bathrooms.

American: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_cockroach

I see these outside when I'm walking my dog at night. Occasionally one will get inside and I kill it. Around here these are primarily outside bugs, but they don't like the cold so they try to get inside this time of year. I see them outside more often in the warmer months. I normally run across one or two inside my home each fall, but that's the only time I ever see them indoors. These can cause infestations in your home, but unlike other roaches seeing an American roach doesn't mean you have an infestation. It probably just wandered in. Seeing three in a month is higher than I would like, but could just be the temperature change. I wouldn't be worried yet, but if you keep seeing them after it is already cold outside then you likely have a problem. 

When you hear about a bad infestation people are normally talking about German cockroaches.

German: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cockroach

They are primarily indoor pests, and these are the roaches that move in and stick around. They make your home their home and they reproduce very quickly. They are tiny and they hide in cracks only coming out at night. If you see one of these assume he/she has thousands of friends.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:14:52 PM by Indexer »

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »

Thanks for recommending this. Has very good reviews for pest control and even general health. I picked up some from Amazon. In the process today on dusting under appliances, inside cabinets, corners, etc. Not completely sure about how much to lay down. Trying to lay down a thin layer without clumping with the included duster. Guess that is right.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »

Thanks for recommending this. Has very good reviews for pest control and even general health. I picked up some from Amazon. In the process today on dusting under appliances, inside cabinets, corners, etc. Not completely sure about how much to lay down. Trying to lay down a thin layer without clumping with the included duster. Guess that is right.

I just used a plastic spoon and spread out a thin layer covering two
perimeters: 1) around the entire living space; 2) surrounding the
kitchen area. 

Tomacco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
I live in South Florida where everything crawls and wants to get in your home. When we bought our house which was a previous foreclosure we had a pest problem. After some research and talking to a pest guy who sprayed out house initially I bought Tempo SC Ultra. I spray outside 2x year and inside 1x year and have not seen a single cockroach or spider inside the house for a very long time.  It goes long way since you dilute it with water to spray and is safe for humans / pets when dry. I am very happy with this product.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!