Author Topic: buy used and save $44,100  (Read 2104 times)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
buy used and save $44,100
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
I just purchased 30 pairs of clean high-end drapes in vertical stripes of beige and light gold with blackout lining and sheers in excellent condition for $900.  Each set is 10 wide by 8 feet long. 

New, each of these pairs of drapes is $1500.  That is a discount of $44,100 - not including taxes.   

A high-end boutique hotel in my town was redecorating and changing their colour scheme  I'm installing these in all the places I own and making my own double curtain rods for about $15 each set.  It will be an additional $300 for each set for hanging rings.

I would never have spent $50,000 on curtains - but I would have spent $3000 for much lower quality tab-top curtains without sheers or blackout lining.  Combined with the bamboo blinds I have for the smaller windows, these will really add a quality feel to the spaces.

If you have furnished rental properties it really pays to monitor local listings.  It is pretty amazing how often very high end furnishings and appliances are available for very little because someone is tired of the look and wants to upgrade.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
Re: buy used and save $44,100
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:55 AM »
Hooooly crap, that's incredible!

Fun Fact: The Gringotts bank scene from Harry Potter was filmed in Australia House (Australian high commission in London), and they got paid by having their ball room thing hung with curtains. Which is just awesome.