Author Topic: YNAB - To Use or Not to Use?  (Read 3899 times)

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
YNAB - To Use or Not to Use?
« on: June 15, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »
I’m wondering who is using YNAB? I’m closing in on the end of my 34-day free trail.

I like the proactive approach and I’m stubbornly learning how to earmark my money instead of merely tracking. The pandemic has introduced a few budget hits and challenges.

Pros Vs. Cons

Pro - Direct synch from Accounts
Con - Capital One and YNAB don’t get along it looks like and there is no direct transaction import so I have to manually import all the transactions :(

Pro -  $6.99 a month (same as 2 fancy starbucks drinks)
Con - $6.99 a month

Pro- YNAB forces me to pre-plan and chunk money into buckets. Intentional spending = decreased spending = increased savings
Con - YNAB forces me to pre-plan and chunk into buckets = no mindless spending while bored in the house = no dopamine hit or immediate gratification.

Pro - Intentional pivot to focus on my budget. Moving to proactive from reactive.
Con -  More time with face in laptop figuring out the software.

Pro - Long term gain in regards to stash
Con - Short term annoyance because I have to carve new thought pathways around money.
Con - I have to learn the software.

Pro - I could pay someone to do this for me.
Con  - I could pay someone to do this for me.

I believe I’ve sufficiently analyzed this to a pulp. Anyone using YNAB that can help cheer me on or oppositely, anyone using YNAB who is vibing on the con side and thinks there is a better way to proactively budget?

Thanks!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: YNAB - To Use or Not to Use?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:51:59 PM »
We use it and have for years off and on, back before it was web-based. It really helps us visualize the plans for our money.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
I use it, I've used it for several years now, its really helped me cut spending. I do transactions manually every morning. worth the money for us to keep using it.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 07:17:58 PM »
We have been using YNAB through more than $100k in net worth increase; I find it very worthwhile. I just learned about the free YNAB clone https://financier.io and did consider switching to save a few dollars, but it doesn't have the features I like the most - recurring expenses, age of money, and category goals that can fund a whole month with one click if you have it set up right.

I had a really good spreadsheet before that, so we were always in control and had a clear set of goals. Now, I also have a easy way to see if certain expenses increase or decrease over time, make reports and make sure my next 5 months have all the essentials funded in case of layoff (very possible). I don't use automatic uploads, but I export transactions and that only takes a moment to reconcile. The total money time is super low in a month - maybe 10 minutes, more if I feel like checking out reports.

Mostly I like their business model - lots of free online education, free subscriptions for students (that's how I started, waay back), so I'm willing to give them $6 per month.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 08:12:51 AM »
We use it and have for years off and on, back before it was web-based. It really helps us visualize the plans for our money.

Before it was web-based? I’m keen on hearing more about that? How were you doing that, if I may ask?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 08:13:45 AM »
It was a software that you bought and downloaded then.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 08:16:14 AM »
We have been using YNAB through more than $100k in net worth increase; I find it very worthwhile. I just learned about the free YNAB clone https://financier.io and did consider switching to save a few dollars, but it doesn't have the features I like the most - recurring expenses, age of money, and category goals that can fund a whole month with one click if you have it set up right.

I had a really good spreadsheet before that, so we were always in control and had a clear set of goals. Now, I also have a easy way to see if certain expenses increase or decrease over time, make reports and make sure my next 5 months have all the essentials funded in case of layoff (very possible). I don't use automatic uploads, but I export transactions and that only takes a moment to reconcile. The total money time is super low in a month - maybe 10 minutes, more if I feel like checking out reports.

Mostly I like their business model - lots of free online education, free subscriptions for students (that's how I started, waay back), so I'm willing to give them $6 per month.

I was leaning towards sitting down and learning how to use the program with the tiny worry of a second covid wave coming and the possibility of a layoff. Now that you shined some light on that, its best that I dedicate some time and set it up correctly. You made some fine points. thanks a lot!!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »

I was leaning towards sitting down and learning how to use the program with the tiny worry of a second covid wave coming and the possibility of a layoff. Now that you shined some light on that, its best that I dedicate some time and set it up correctly. You made some fine points. thanks a lot!!

You're welcome, happy to help.

You can also have multiple budgets set up in one subscription - so I have a sample one with not real numbers in it for when someone has budget questions for me, and another I made with just the bare-bones expenses so I can see how far I can get our money to stretch in the worst case scenario. I looked at it again lately after a very stressful bout of layoffs at work, and it was very reassuring to see we can stretch the 3-4 months we currently have funded into a year's worth of necessary spending if we need to.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
I used YNAB for many years & only stopped recently when my laptop would no longer support the old non-web based program. I think YNAB is well worth the money for people in the early years of budgeting and accruing wealth. I don't really need that hand-holding anymore but the habit of tracking spending is so ingrained that I still like to track spending. I've been using the free Aspire Budget (https://aspirebudget.com) for the last few months. It's got way less features than YNAB obviously but does a simple zero based budget.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »

You're welcome, happy to help.

You can also have multiple budgets set up in one subscription - so I have a sample one with not real numbers in it for when someone has budget questions for me, and another I made with just the bare-bones expenses so I can see how far I can get our money to stretch in the worst case scenario. I looked at it again lately after a very stressful bout of layoffs at work, and it was very reassuring to see we can stretch the 3-4 months we currently have funded into a year's worth of necessary spending if we need to.

Wow, you’ve been super helpful. I deffo need reassurance right now. I’m having issues figuring out my categories. I was hoping it would magically assign everything to a category, but alas, all laziness aside, I have some planning to do. No easy way out.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 07:51:05 PM »
I used YNAB for many years & only stopped recently when my laptop would no longer support the old non-web based program. I think YNAB is well worth the money for people in the early years of budgeting and accruing wealth. I don't really need that hand-holding anymore but the habit of tracking spending is so ingrained that I still like to track spending. I've been using the free Aspire Budget (https://aspirebudget.com) for the last few months. It's got way less features than YNAB obviously but does a simple zero based budget.

I will look into Aspire budget and keep it in my back pocket.  Thanks for sharing! I am at the building wealth (re-building) part and I think for now I have some heavy lifting to do and YNAB is my better bet.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
It was a software that you bought and downloaded then.

This is what I have been using for the past 6 or 7 years also. It helped me dig my way out of a missive debt after my husband passed away and it just clicked with me, and I still use it. For the first time in my life I feel like I have a handle on my finances. I enter everything manually.

ageless-human

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »

Financier really seems to do what I need it to. I basically only used YNAB for tracking, and not budgeting. To me it's not a matter of making my money last, but to be able to see what I'm spending my money on and make adjustments if something is too high for comfort.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:04 PM »

Financier really seems to do what I need it to. I basically only used YNAB for tracking, and not budgeting. To me it's not a matter of making my money last, but to be able to see what I'm spending my money on and make adjustments if something is too high for comfort.

That’s 2 votes for Financier. Maybe I’ll move to that after I reign things in with YNAB. Thanks for the input.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 08:37:47 PM »
What are opinions of actually using this once retired? My spouse and I were fortunate enough to be able to sock away bonuses and max retirements accounts to save the majority of our wealth, and spent much of the rest. But now that I am a few years away pulling the trigger on retiring early, being more disciplined at budgeting would be useful. While working it's easy to buy what you (reasonably) want, whenever you want.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
We use a google sheet. It works for us. Add a simple form, bookmark it on the phone. Type it in ourselves.

Pro: complete control
Pro: typing it in is a deterrent for some people
Pro: we don't budget, we control spend and adjust as needed based on reflection of the last few months
Pro: "free" ($)

Con: you have to type it in
Con: you have to build and maintain it
Con: learning google sheets (I'm a software engineer and it is dumbed down/awkward to express things I could do easily in a real language)
Con: "free" (time)

Television

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 11:30:32 PM »
I use YNAB, also started back when it was just a desktop application. Not super happy about it changing to SaaS but them's the breaks.

For me, it's a lifesaver. I have lots of little pots set aside for things and because I'm somewhat risk averse, I like knowing that the money is already set aside for next month's bill, etc etc.

At this stage, they'll pry it from my cold, dead hands haha.

With that being said, I haven't investigated any other options beyond trying it myself on an excel document. For the little extra expense, the added features make it well worth my dollars (plus I'm not too flash with excel).

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 08:17:53 AM »
Been using YNAB for over 7 years. Started on the old version and made the switch to the new version about 12 months after the changed.

It's been great. The methodology is my favorite bit. As you pointed out, it forces me to plan my spending. As for "off the cuff" spending, I have a "fun money" category that I use for impulse buys that I fund each month and let it grow for months if there's nothing I want.

I don't use the bank import, I just check my expenses against my bank account once a week and verify the numbers match up.

Overall, I am a big fan. They do it better than just about anyone, they have brought a lot of folks out of debt, their methodology is solid, and they are extremely customizable. I probably could pivot to my own spreadsheet or a free alternative, but having the phone app makes everything much easier for my wife and, honestly, I like the company and want to continue supporting them.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »
I use YNAB, also started back when it was just a desktop application. Not super happy about it changing to SaaS but them's the breaks.

For me, it's a lifesaver. I have lots of little pots set aside for things and because I'm somewhat risk averse, I like knowing that the money is already set aside for next month's bill, etc etc.

At this stage, they'll pry it from my cold, dead hands haha.

With that being said, I haven't investigated any other options beyond trying it myself on an excel document. For the little extra expense, the added features make it well worth my dollars (plus I'm not too flash with excel).

“Cold, dead hands” Haha. Thanks for the giggle.

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
Been using YNAB for over 7 years. Started on the old version and made the switch to the new version about 12 months after the changed.

It's been great. The methodology is my favorite bit. As you pointed out, it forces me to plan my spending. As for "off the cuff" spending, I have a "fun money" category that I use for impulse buys that I fund each month and let it grow for months if there's nothing I want.

I don't use the bank import, I just check my expenses against my bank account once a week and verify the numbers match up.

Overall, I am a big fan. They do it better than just about anyone, they have brought a lot of folks out of debt, their methodology is solid, and they are extremely customizable. I probably could pivot to my own spreadsheet or a free alternative, but having the phone app makes everything much easier for my wife and, honestly, I like the company and want to continue supporting them.

I’m still wrapping my brain around the methodology of planning every cent and I get mad at YNAB for keeping me (my spending) in check.  My fun money category is problematic and there is rarely a month where there is nothing I want. Good for you on keeping that in check. Thanks for the cheerful response.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:40:49 PM by moresprinkles »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 05:01:37 AM »

Been using it about the same amount of time, 2012ish.  I still use the non-paying version.  I'm not a 100% convert as I don't allocate every single dollar (I always leave $100-$200 floating at the top of the budget for unexpected expenses), but it helps me visualize across several bank and credit card accounts where everything is at and in particular how much I can invest each month.  I got the software because I had so much money just disappearing every month and I needed to see where it was going (mostly fast food).  This also helped get my wife on board with household budgeting and adopting some MMM lifestyle changes.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »

I’m still wrapping my brain around the methodology of planning every cent and I get mad at YNAB for keeping me (my spending) in check.  My fun money category is problematic and there is rarely a month where there is nothing I want. Good for you on keeping that in check. Thanks for the cheerful response.

Well, being in a pandemic helps curb a lot of my spending. I've also been budgeting for 7 years - and growing my income throughout - so my fun money category is significantly bigger than it use to be. I didn't always have stuff left over. It takes awhile.

The methodology is the big hurdle for most people. We get hammered into our brains to think month-over-month instead of paycheck-over-paycheck. Once you get out of the monthly rhythm, it becomes way easier. When I started, I had to update my budget every two weeks. After 7 years I'm two months ahead in my budget. It makes the whole month less stressful knowing that my upcoming paycheck isn't needed for two months.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »

Been using it about the same amount of time, 2012ish.  I still use the non-paying version.  I'm not a 100% convert as I don't allocate every single dollar (I always leave $100-$200 floating at the top of the budget for unexpected expenses), but it helps me visualize across several bank and credit card accounts where everything is at and in particular how much I can invest each month.  I got the software because I had so much money just disappearing every month and I needed to see where it was going (mostly fast food).  This also helped get my wife on board with household budgeting and adopting some MMM lifestyle changes.

I leave money too, but I've put it into a "buffer" category where money sits if I don't have a purpose for it. Leaving it in "too be budgeted" can mess up too many things - especially in the online version!

moresprinkles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Meditate Meander
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »

I leave money too, but I've put it into a "buffer" category where money sits if I don't have a purpose for it. Leaving it in "too be budgeted" can mess up too many things - especially in the online version!

Good idea for a “buffer” category! I’ll create that category soon. I have to think in terms of budgeting per paycheck too. Pivoting from a monthly mindset to bi-weekly isn’t easy and the “too be budgeted” category does mess things up, doesn’t it?

Thanks!! 

s0198362

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »
I use one of the templates from vertex24e.

They are free, available in excel or googlesheets, and do work pretty well.
https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/money-management-template.html

This really helps me see where my money goes and helps set the budget too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!