Author Topic: xfinity mobile  (Read 7270 times)

blue_vett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
xfinity mobile
« on: November 01, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »
So its official after years of using Tracfone as our cell provider we finally found a company that has beat out them on price! Comcast just started their new cell phone service, and on a whim I decided to give it a test drive, the deal was offered to me as I am a current Comcast internet customer. I pay 65.00 a month for internet, speed of 50 mb. and with my service Comcast now offers unlimited talk and text for free. I jumped on their special at the time of 200.00 off any phone, they have a phone for 180.00. No I didn't make money on the deal, they sent me three shiny new phones for 3.00 each. ( one for me, one for my wife, and we decided on one for a home/ kids pick me up from soccer phone)  when they arrived I activated them (took five minutes) and they were up and running. now if you want data, they do have two plans for this $12.00 per gig shared or $45.00 unlimited per line. we don't use data in our house, instead we do our web surfing at home or when we have a free hotspot . with Xfinity internet they also have a ton of Xfinity hotspots that you can connect to for free.

with Tracfone we were paying 125.00 per year per line, that would get us 4500 min, 4500 test and 4.5 gig data per line (our phone were triple minutes phones) so that's 125.00 x 2lines = 250.00 / 12 months =$ 20.83 per month

With our new Comcast Xfinity wireless= 13.00 for taxes

savings of 93.96 per year!!! I know not a giant win but every win is a win! that's 93.96 a year closer to my retirement plan.

hankandtina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: xfinity mobile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
I am actually looking into this same option, now.  Get rid of my AT&T plan I have had for years.  I live in a pretty dense suburban area (Minneapolis area), so there are many WiFi hotspots.  We are going to see if we can get by on a shared 1Gig data plan for two (2) people-- Just $12 + tax per month, or $6+ each.  Also paying $59 + tax for Comcast (Xfinity) Internet.

NOTE:  You must be a Comcast Internet customer in order to take advantage of this deal.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
We have that. It's working for us--and I despise Comcast, so it takes a lot for me to say the service is actually good.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »
Thanks for the tip!

I just broke the screen on my Republic phone this morning and I'm looking around to assess the landscape of options.

Xfinity mobile seems like a good one (already use them for internet). Would save me $15 a month compared to the Republic plan I currently use.

Sadly, their $200 off promo expired on December 14th. I'm going to check back in with them every few days to see if and when they come out with a new promo.

froggie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
I bit that bullet! I was already an Xfinity customer and will be for a while since it's the cheapest option where I live (and yes, bundled TV was cheaper than just the internet...!).
Just bought one of their new phones to essentially get free mobile service (except for 911 fees etc which all add up to about $3/month).

I don't intend to use data, but it's otherwise $12/Gb.

The way I look at it Xfinity banks on people signing up for the unlimited data plan for $65. I am not one of those, instead I am getting nearly free mobile service (call & text unlimited).

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
They now have a promo for a $150 cash card if you buy an LG X Charge phone for $180.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/

I got my Republic phone screen fixed, so I'm not sure whether I'll make the jump or hang out here at Republic for a while longer.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
They're back with the promo for a $200 cash card if you buy any iPhone. It's valid through 2/25/18.

Now I'll be thinking about switching over from Republic. Unfortunately I can't just take my Moto X to Xfinity, I'd have to buy a new phone. I'll have to see what I could get for this on eBay or Amazon as part of the decision.

For anyone that's using Xfinity - how is the coverage and call quality? I'm happy with Republic but when I go out-of-state for work the coverage gets very spotty.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:32:04 PM by MrMoneyMullet »

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »
Just a heads up, they now have a promo for a $250 prepaid card if you buy any Samsung from them, through 3/22.

Looks like they have the Galaxy S8, S8+, Note 8, and Galaxy S9 and S9+ for pre-order. Too bad they don't have any older versions available or allow you to bring your own Android phone.

Looks like the most Mustachian option is the LG X charge for $180. The Galaxy S8 is $600 - $250 promo = $350.

I'm sticking with Republic for now. Will probably check in on the Xfinity Mobile promos every once in a while.

Livethedream

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
Just saw this post, Comcast internet user here. How has the coverage been? I am on Verizon for coverage purposes in my area, now that you have had the service a while would you still recommend it? We are prettt much locked into Comcast for Internet, only high speed provider around.

We pay $120 a month for 4 lines and 6gb of data. Under this plan it looks like 6gb of data would only cost $72 a month for 4 lines. This would save us almost $600 a year, probably more since we often use less data.

Would you still make the switch?

froggie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Xfinity is riding on the Verizon network so it is the exact same coverage.
And it’s also what I have experienced as I was on Vz before I switched.
Seems like a no brainer!

W_Jenny67

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »
Just saw this post, Comcast internet user here. How has the coverage been? I am on Verizon for coverage purposes in my area, now that you have had the service a while would you still recommend it? We are prettt much locked into Comcast for Internet, only high speed provider around.

We pay $120 a month for 4 lines and 6gb of data. Under this plan it looks like 6gb of data would only cost $72 a month for 4 lines. This would save us almost $600 a year, probably more since we often use less data.

Would you still make the switch?

Agreeing with Froggie- Im here in NorCal as well- previously had Verizon and have had Xfinity mobile for maybe 6 months and havent noticed any difference- they also recently launched BYOP(Bring your own phone) which makes it even better!

blue_vett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
sorry i have been away for a while, i have now had the service for a year and yes i have the lg x charge, i was able to pay just 3.oo for each phone so i purchased three, one for me, one for wife , and one for home/children when they are at dance/soccer/girl scouts. etc.

the only thing that i feel is lacking on my phone is the camera, it takes good pictures but it is definitely not a "high end" camera. does the job for me though.

the service is indeed piggy backed on Verizon, so that was not a big change for us as tracfone was also on Verizon. great calling, texting and data coverage.

as a side experience, i had the opportunity to travel to Germany, Austria, and Italy for a week, ( work sent me.... saying with early retirement i could never afford to go otherwise)

the service while in Europe is .10 cents a minute/ meg of data/ text. that can get really expensive fast. the coverage was great in all three country's! but as in a must-stash fashion i turned my phone on airplane mode and utilized the free WiFi calling/texting of my google voice, which work out better than expected, I found myself able to really enjoy myself in the moment because I was not worried about checking my phone all of the time! (this is another tip I would like to share with everyone! social media is such a burden! I canceled all of my social media accounts and am proud to say that my life and time have done nothing but increased!

I would recommend xfinty mobile to anyone.

another side note, i recommended xfinity to a guy at work, he jumped in and bout the Samsung galaxy... not sure of the model but he has problems with phone calls dropping. he told me that his wife with the same phone also has the same problem, so heads up it may be better not to use it on xfinity.

dacalo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
We just switched over from AT&T this past weekend. We were paying around $150 for three lines at AT&T and now we are projecting to pay around $54 a month (2GB per month use) since they charge $12 per GB shared, and that's with wife getting a new iPhone 8 since her iPhone 7 Plus isn't compatible (AT&T model). Crazy that we are saving around $100 a month.

I was with AT&T for over 16 years since Cingular days but $100 is $100.

One advice is make sure to unlock your phone before you go in and it will make it easier for everyone. My unlocked iPhone X said Verizon wireless and data didn't work until I had to restore it.

Livethedream

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
Called yesterday to get info and found out xfinity mobile is not compatible with their business internet. Now we have to decide if we are going to switch to residential internet.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »
does anyone know if this requires a contract?

or does it work like prepaid where you can leave whenever you want?

I think there has to be some 'catch' to becoming their mobile customer. Like what if I don't have Xfinity internet service in the future, what am I going to do then? Will I be able to keep the mobile service, or will I be forced to try something else?

Thanks for any insight!

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
nevermind, found my answers in the 'details'. Here's what I found in case it's helpful:

"Requires a post-pay subscription to a residential Xfinity Internet service."

"$10 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet or Voice service. "

"Pricing subject to change.
"

---
I think these are all pretty standard..but I will say I'm concerned that I go with them and then one day they raise the price/bait-and-switch on me.

Also I'm interested to see if I could 'bring my own' Google Pixel. I don't have one currently, but I think I need a new phone and those seem reasonably priced on the secnodary market for a solid /high performing phone.

dacalo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 11:08:04 AM »

Also I'm interested to see if I could 'bring my own' Google Pixel. I don't have one currently, but I think I need a new phone and those seem reasonably priced on the secnodary market for a solid /high performing phone.

From my understanding, XM currently only offers iPhones for BYOD but I've read  somewhere that Android BYOD is in the works.

As for your concern about price hiking, that can be said of all mobile carriers. I experienced that with AT&T over 16 years, so I wouldn't expect anything less from XM. The good news is, there is no contract with XM so you can always move on to better deals. I am giddy with all the savings though!

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
agreed, I read that Android BYOD is 'in the works'...but who knows how long that will be?

Wish we had some inside knowledge. That would save me some serious keesh and I wouldn't hesitate to come on over to XM

awlong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »
We've been on XM now for a little over a month.  So far, so good.  Very good in fact.  We have two BYOD iphones.
First bill closed at $17.74 ($12 for one gig plus $2.87 of taxes/fees x 2 phones).  The coverage has been perfect and the phones automatically connect to the XFINITY wifi whenever in range to save on data.

Their app is decent as well to keep up with cell data usage.  However the app rounds the usage to the nearest 0.1 GB.  But otherwise it is easy to see how much data has been used for each phone.

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
Our free year of Sprint is ending this month, so we'll switch over to xfinity mobile in a few weeks.  They have a $150 pre-paid card giveaway (per phone, with some limit [maybe 5?]) this month if you BYO iPhone over, so that feels like a nice bonus when we have to switch anyway!

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 07:28:44 AM »
Question for you xfinity mobile users, should I set "Wifi Calling" to "On"?
I would like to save as much data as possible, and I think that doing this would enable my phone to use wifi networks when available to make and complete phone calls. But there were some warnings about needing to always update my location because the location my phone stores is going to be sent to Emergency Services if I ever make a 911 call via wifi? am I understanding that correctly?
That doesn't make sense to me. If I am out of range of wifi, my phone wouldn't make the call via Wifi right? Wouldn't it just switch and use the cellular network, at which point it would know my location and be able to send that to Emergency services?

I've never had to call 911, but honestly I do do some things in which I might get into trouble while out on my own (mainly in the outdoors, kayaking, fishing and wading rivers, etc.), and I wouldn't the one time I need 911 for them to show up at my house haha.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 09:00:11 PM »
bump.

SHould I have my phone on Wifi calling, or is that posing a pretty major risk for emergency situations?