Author Topic: Winter Work Gloves  (Read 1578 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Winter Work Gloves
« on: January 23, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
My husband's winter gloves aren't cutting it anymore. He comes in from clearing snow and his hands are near frozen.

We need a new pair, and are willing to spend if needed.

Carhart used to be my go-to for winter gear; but the reviews on amazon for their winter work gloves aren't good.

Does anyone have recommendations for great, warm, winter gloves at as reasonable of a price as can be found?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Winter Work Gloves
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14:25 AM »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »
Duluth Yellow Knife mitts I would say are the best

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
So, I'm not a fan of gloves for work in the cold. Gloves separate your fingers and most people put them on like a winter jacket, one layer for any type of weather and activity.

I use a three layer approach to keeping my hands warm in the winter which has not failed me from Alaska or further south from hard work to riding my bicycle to an from work in sub-zero temperatures. I also mix and match at times, but I almost always use the first layer. The key is to try and keep your fingers close together so they share warmth and have none of the layers fit tightly. Tight gloves constrict blood flow and the blood is what's carrying a lot of the heat from your core to the tips of your fingers.

The links provided are just examples.

Layer 1: A very thin glove almost like a glove insert or liner that fits snugly, but not tightly, like a second layer of skin. This allows me to keep my hands warm in layers 2 and 3, but still separate my fragile flesh from really cold things when needing to do precision tasks or I've just warmed up so much I need to take the other layers off. I can still stuff my hands back in the mittens and warm up again.
Layer 1 Example: https://www.rei.com/product/116898/arcteryx-rho-glove-liners

Layer 2: A moderate weight glove that does not fit tightly, but with a reinforced palm or similar for normal work outdoors in cool/cold weather.
Layer 2 Example: https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-yellowknife-gloves-11079.html?cgid=mens-accessories-gloves#start=5&cgid=mens-accessories-gloves

Layer 3: Mittens. For some reason adults have an aversion to mittens. I love them, especially trigger/split finger mittens. What you lose in dexterity you gain in warmth. Keeping your fingers together is the best way to keep them warm. Cold hands are never fun. You want these to be waterproof.
Layer 3 Example: https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-alaskan-hardgear-innoko-trigger-mitts-70791.html?cgid=mens-accessories-gloves&dwvar_70791_color=BLK

If your hands still get cold, you can warm them up by swinging them back and forth in front of you about 10 times or whatever's necessary to get the muscles in your chest moving blood down your arms and that tends to take care of the worst temperatures.