Author Topic: Where to order decent affordable squat rack  (Read 6581 times)

tyrannostache

• Bristles
Where to order decent affordable squat rack
« on: October 30, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
I want a decent squat rack so I can quit the gym, get rid of one more recurring expense, and finish my basement workout space for world domination/zombie apocalypse prep. I've been combing our local craigslist, fb groups, & secondhand shops for months now to no avail. I live in a smallish town in a rural part of the west, so pickings are pretty slim. I'm thinking I just need to order something from an online outlet.

While I'd love to just order a boss setup from Rogue, I'd rather not drop $500+. I'm not a beast, so it doesn't need to be able to handle huge weights. (My highest squat max is ~140, DH's is ~200)

Any suggestions for an affordable squat rack? I'd prefer a slim power rack/cage setup but would consider a standalone rack. Strong preference for something with safety bars so I can be more comfortable getting close to a max while alone.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Where to order decent affordable squat rack
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
I built one (standalone rack style) out of 2x4s standing in buckets filled with concrete.  It has been working pretty well for me over the past four or so years.  (I also built a bench).  I've had close to 400 lbs on the squat stands with no issues of any kind.  I followed similar instructions to the ones you can find here:

http://homemadestrength.blogspot.ca/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html

For safeties, use adjustable saw horses . . . which can be picked up pretty cheaply at home depot and work very well.  The ones I've got are rated to 1500lbs, and I've never had occasion to test them beyond that.  I'm able to adjust the safeties to catch the weight at my chest level for the bench or at the bottom of the hole when doing a squat.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
In my area, craigslist has racks for under $200, and cages ranging from $200-800 depending on type.  The bar will cost you about $50, and iron runs 50-75 cents per pound depending on what kind of shape it's in.

You can find better deals if you're a patient shopper, but the prices above are basically available every day without haggling.

I never even consider buying exercise equipment new.  The world is full of shattered dreams and heavily discounted shards of those dreams.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »
I've thought about making one of these in the past, but DH has been skeptical--he's convinced that the buckets/tires full of concrete would be too tippy when you're reracking the weight. How does it feel to you at that point? It sounds like you're doing more weight than we would.

I should also note that I'm 5'6" and DH is 6'2". We could rig one up that fits both of us, but then we wouldn't be able to use it for benching (maybe that's for the best; I hate benching).

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
In my area, craigslist has racks for under $200, and cages ranging from $200-800 depending on type.  The bar will cost you about $50, and iron runs 50-75 cents per pound depending on what kind of shape it's in.

You can find better deals if you're a patient shopper, but the prices above are basically available every day without haggling.

I never even consider buying exercise equipment new.  The world is full of shattered dreams and heavily discounted shards of those dreams.

Ordinarily, I'm with you. However, as I said in my original post, I've been watching craigslist/FB/etc for nearly a year. I've got secondhand plates and a bar. But as for squat racks, nothing. If I wanted a bench press setup, I could have had dozens. But the only squat rack I've come across was going for $500 (it had a lot of extra crap on it). I live in the rural west well over 6 hours from the nearest metro area, so buying something and then driving it back here simply doesn't make sense.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
I bought one this spring from Titan Fitness: https://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-racks/titan-t-2-series-power-rack.html

It is really nice, I bought a bench and weights separately, but they do offer a rack and bench combo.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 08:08:24 AM »
I've thought about making one of these in the past, but DH has been skeptical--he's convinced that the buckets/tires full of concrete would be too tippy when you're reracking the weight. How does it feel to you at that point? It sounds like you're doing more weight than we would.

The weight (concrete) on the ones I built is entirely at the bottom of the uprights.  Unloaded I can tip the upright more than 15 degrees and it will naturally pull to straighten itself.  You ever seen those balloon clowns that you punch and then they self-right themselves?  Same kinda idea.  When racking the weight, tipping over is pretty much a non-issue.  I've been completely exhausted a couple times after very heavy sets and banged the weight into place a bit . . . you might tip the upright an inch or two forward, but it's not going to get anywhere near the kind of lean it would take to make it fall.

I should also note that I'm 5'6" and DH is 6'2". We could rig one up that fits both of us, but then we wouldn't be able to use it for benching (maybe that's for the best; I hate benching).

There should be no problem doing the squat positions for both of you and one bench press position.  Two bench positions is going to be awkward for your husband because his position will be further back and he'll have to move the bar around your bench position as he's pressing.  Probably worth checking measurements though (you want your squat position to be around where your armpits are when standing upright, and your bench position to be about an inch or two below full extension of your arms when lying back on your bench).  My wife is just over 5' tall and I'm about 6' tall.  The position that I bench from is close enough that she can use it for squats.  She doesn't bench more than 120 lbs, so I just hold the bar at the start and spot her for those sets.

As has been mentioned, there's a pretty big used market for exercise equipment.  It's definitely an option worth checking out.  One of the reasons that I built my own stuff is that most of the reasonably priced used equipment I could find around here was not rated for the weight that I wanted to use it at.  I tried out a couple cheap racks that were much more wobbly when you load up 300 lbs on them than my home built one is.  Ghetto as 2x4s are, they're pretty damned strong.  :P

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 05:50:22 PM »
I hear you.  In smaller markets, you can wait forever on Craigslist for a decent rack. 

I had weights and bars from a previous crappy smith machine purchase so, like you, I was only looking for a rack. 

I actually picked up one of these:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563bw.html

It is basically 2in. square steel, welded and coated.  It's not Rogue, but I've been using mine for about two years with no problems.  I do have a good gym where I work- so it's not used every day.  Between my wife and I we've used it for at least 100 sessions, no problem. 

They do have a 3in. square setup with higher ratings, but I definitely haven't needed it.   I'm an amateur powerlifter who regularly does reps with over 300lbs.   

They have free freight shipping and also have an ebay store where you can sometimes find them slightly cheaper.

And if you ever outgrow it or find a sweet rack cheap, it's easy to disassemble so you could probably sell it to another mustachian!

tanzee

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
I've thought about this a bunch and come to the conclusion that building one is likely the most cost effective way.  I can't say exactly what it would cost, but you really don't need a lot of carpentry skill to mold some 2x4s into a rack.  Making it adjustable would be a little harder, but certainly not impossible. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 07:02:15 AM »
I've thought about this a bunch and come to the conclusion that building one is likely the most cost effective way.  I can't say exactly what it would cost, but you really don't need a lot of carpentry skill to mold some 2x4s into a rack.  Making it adjustable would be a little harder, but certainly not impossible. 

I think that the most expensive part was the wood.  Concrete is cheap, I found the buckets I'm using on the side of the road.  Aside from that you just need some wood glue and nails or screws.  The only tricky part was getting the posts to stand upright in the buckets.  You want to set up some kind of bracing system (I just used some rope tied to various things around the room) and get the posts as perfectly straight as possible, THEN pour the concrete.  Much less stressful than pouring the concrete and rushing around hoping you can get them straight before it hardens.  :P

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
I recently sold my olympic lifting setup on CL for $300 (got out of the sport and wanted the stuff out of my house). Squat rack, full bumper plate set and expensive o-lifting bar, platform...There are some deals like this out there.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Craigslist/LetGo will have the best deals, but +1 for Titan Fitness if you have to buy new due to lack of availability. Lots of places are going to have free shipping deals for Black Friday.

A second tip is to follow local weightlifting/powerlifting/strongman/crossfit events in your area on Facebook. You can pick up bumpers, barbells, and other equipment for a discount after events because the sponsors don't want to pay to ship them back.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »
A second tip is to follow local weightlifting/powerlifting/strongman/crossfit events in your area on Facebook. You can pick up bumpers, barbells, and other equipment for a discount after events because the sponsors don't want to pay to ship them back.

Ooh, now that is a solution I hadn't considered! I'll look into it, though these events are also few and far between out here in the boonies.

MustachioedPistachio

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
I built one (standalone rack style) out of 2x4s standing in buckets filled with concrete.  It has been working pretty well for me over the past four or so years.  (I also built a bench).  I've had close to 400 lbs on the squat stands with no issues of any kind.  I followed similar instructions to the ones you can find here:

http://homemadestrength.blogspot.ca/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html
This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »
If you're sure you're never going to be working with really heavy weight, you can get inexpensive power racks from Amazon and retailers for reasonable prices, including shipping that will do the job.  If you look on Amazon, you'll see Chinese made, bolt together racks from Titan, Body Solid (Powerline series), Valor, and TDS for around $300 delivered.  You can check to see what they're rated for, but if you aren't planning to squat or bench over 300 pounds, they should last many, many years with reasonable care.   For a little more, you can get a rack that will be partly welded together, weigh considerably more, and handle a lot more weight (and maybe be made in the USA, if that's important to you).  If the rack will be a lifetime purchase, you might consider spending a few hundred extra for better quality.  The issue isn't so much safety as it is "feel" and perhaps ultimately longevity.  Very few people lift enough weight to really stress even an inexpensive rack, but a well built, mostly welded rack will feel much more solid while you're using it, especially while doing pullups.  If you think you might be moving in a few years, going with the less expensive option might make more sense. 

Please don't buy anything without safety bars.  Benching and squatting alone without safety bars can be dangerous.  When you say "standalone rack," do you mean squat stands?  I wouldn't advise them if you're lifting alone.  Good ones can cost as much as an inexpensive rack and they don't give you nearly the margin of safety of a power rack.  Also, if you're buying a power rack, especially since you mentioned "slim," plan on bolting it into the floor or onto a platform.  The smaller power racks especially need this. 

I left commercial gyms for my own quality equipment at home about 12 years ago and have never regretted it. 

There are a lot of good Black Friday deals out there.  Rogue often has free shipping. 

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 05:18:56 PM »
I bought mine from Craigslist. The guy I got it from bought an entire gym that went bust and had loads of stuff.

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
I bought a power rack from Titan Fitness. I like it. More than sturdy enough for me. My whole family uses it.

jj2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
I'm not sure if you said you are in the US, but this was the best option for me in southern Ontario:

http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-power-rack

One of the key factors was that i could fit this in my basement which has a low ceiling.

I haven't big weights on this, but have used it for more than a year and I'm really happy with it.

As I always do, I checked kijiji for used gear first, but I couldn't find what I wanted

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!