Author Topic: Where to get a good bed  (Read 49033 times)

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to get a good bed
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
I purchased a ~$2k bed from Slumberland about 5 years ago and have already had it replaced twice due to being a piece of junk.  It has a 10 year warranty so I can continue to keep replacing it, but each time Slumberland finds a way to charge us more $$.

Can I have your suggestions of where to buy a high quality bed?   I have only ever looked at places like Slumberland and just need to know where to start!  Suggestions please!

KS

• Stubble
Re: Where to get a good bed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
Sorry I'm no help, we haven't bought a bed in over 10 years, but wanted to comment here so I'll see the suggestions too! Our mattress is badly in need of replacement... Thanks for the thread :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
have you tried Sams/Costco?  I can't say I have tried them, but they do seem to have mattresses.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
have you tried Sams/Costco?  I can't say I have tried them, but they do seem to have mattresses.

My parents have purchased a bed from Sam's club and have had similar issues of the mattress wearing out in a shorter time frame.    Sam's has always had great customer service for them and replaced the mattress.  (More than I can say for Slumberland with always charging us more $$). 

They decided to go with a sleep number bed last year and love it.  I am not sure DH and I would like the "divider" in the middle, and also we are not to keen on the electrical portion (I feel like it would break for sure.)

Never thought to try Costco - has anyone purchased a mattress from Costco?   Other products I have purchased there have always been high quality...

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 01:56:18 PM »
We swear by the [expensive but insanely comfortable] Tempur-Pedic beds.

Don't judge me ;-)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
I've been keeping my eye on mattresses, as the one I am using was the one I've had since college.  Its seem some wear and tear.

Most spring mattresses I've test always make my back feel tight (as does the one I currently have).  I do like the tempurpedic style memory foam mattresses but I can't fathom pony'ing up 2k for one.

I've thought about trying the cheap foam mattresses from overstock.com, but I mostly hear bad reviews about the cheap memory foam mattresses.

Some people suggest buying a crappy mattress and then putting a good memory foam pad on the top, but I am skeptical of that working too well.

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences with the memory foam other than Gecko?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:11:11 PM by Cromacster »

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
I used the forums on this site: http://www.themattressunderground.com/
to get recommendations of places local to my area to get a good mattress.

Bought a new mattress at one of the recommended businesses and my back is thrilled! 
Less expensive (for similar features) and better quality materials (made locally with a 100 day trial/adjustment to mattress)
than the big box stores.

Might be worth checking out the site above.  Good luck.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »
Humorous (to me) anecdote:  I saw an interview with a "professional mattress reviewer".  (I have no idea what the credentials are for that job).  He basically said the best mattress what the one you found comfortable ... and had no real relation to it's price.  He had any number of really expensive options available to him free due to his job.  He slept on a cheap inflatable air mattress.

Note: he was reviewing based on comfort, not on longevity (which the OP seemed to be seeking).

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
I saw Tuft and Needle beds talked about over at ERE and now I want one.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I got my $3,000 latex mattresses at Sears a few years ago during one of their Memorial Day Sales.  I think it was on sale for $2,500 and I signed up for the CC which gave me a 10% discount and no interest for a year.  Had it paid off in a couple of months and then cut up the Sears card.  I've been really happy with it, but haven't had it a very long time so I can't speak for the durability.

Best money I EVER spent.  I can't believe what a difference it makes to sleep on a fancy mattress!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »
We got a Sleep Number bed 10 years ago.  The electronics/air pump still work fine (I rarely change my side anyway), although the LCD display on the remotes are missing a few segments each.  I feel like it's held up pretty well, although at $3k, it was pretty darn expensive.

I got annoyed with their sales people (and their frequent sales mailings afterward), but I'm not sure they're any worse than any other mattress company. 

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »
If you are anything like me, all the spring coils will get uncomfortable after a couple of years. I finally gave in and got myself a latex memory foam mattress and couldn't be happier.  Are you sure it isn't that you can no longer tolerate the pressure points that come with spring coils?

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »
My parents bought my current queen size bed on Craigslist for $100 a few years ago and since I loved it so much they gave it to me for my birthday. And I didn't even get bedbugs!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
I recommend http://www.us-mattress.com/ if you know what you want.  Dependable, free delivery, half the cost of regular mattress stores, and free exchanges if it doesn't work out for you.

Anecdote:

When I went mattress shopping a few years back I visited all of the stores in town, like SleepCountry and the like.  They were very friendly and helped me find what kind of mattress I liked.

Then I made the mistake of checking the internet for prices on those same mattresses that I liked in the store, and they were typically 40-50% cheaper online.  I went back to the stores and explained that I was happy to pay a little extra  beause they have overhead and a showroom and helpful sales people, but their prices seemed awfully high.  They wouldn't budge, and were very critical of my online price comparison shopping, as if I had somehow betrayed their trust.

Which is bullshit.  They're a business and they want to make money, and I would help them make money if they were charging 10 or 15% more than online retailers.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay TWICE AS MUCH for the exact same mattress.  So I ordered from us-mattress.com/ and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Also, for people who really like memory foam mattresses, Costco sometimes has quality memory foam mattress pads for less than $200.  Unless  your current mattress is super saggy in the middle, I think this solution is just as good as the $4k memory foam mattresses.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »
We've been pleasantly surprised with the Ikea memory foam mattresses. We got a their mid-range queen size one for about $300 and it's still in perfect condition 5 years later. I am sure this mattress will last at least 10+ years. And my husband who has had back issues in the past loves it.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »
I got a memory foam/latex mattress a couple months ago for $422 from overstock. It is supposed to last 25 years. We both really like it! I will never buy innerspring now.

I had wanted a 100% natural latex, but it wasn't in the budget.

Wow, that's a steal even if it only lasts a couple years!

We had cheap "memory foam" mattress before we got out our Tempur-Pedic. (I put it in quotes because only the top couple inches were memory foam. I think that's how most of the cheaper ones are made.) We were quite happy with it at first, but it only lasted about 4-5 yrs before the compression became annoying.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 08:03:47 AM »
I saw Tuft and Needle beds talked about over at ERE and now I want one.

Thanks for mentioning this.  I looked into Tuft and Needles and it seems interesting.  Especially for the price.

On that note, has anyone built their own memory foam mattress?

I had not even thought that this was on option.  I was able to to find how-to's out there.  Although it looks like the materials will run you 300-400 dollars for a quality mattress.  Although, it would give you the ability to customize the size of your bed to fit a room if needed.....assuming you are building your bedframe as well.

With the Tufts and Needles option I think I would try them before I tired to DIY.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
In regards to the folks with memory foam mattresses they like:  My wife and I generally have the complaint that memory foam mattresses (or... the ones we've tried) tend to not breathe and be hot.  We live in the south, so ... hot is bad.  Are there models that have put some sort of air pocket/pillow top/insulation between the foam and the top to solve this?   What models would you recommend?

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:27 AM »
Thanks for the Tuft and Needle mention. We are in the market for kids beds, so I will have to check those out.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
In regards to the folks with memory foam mattresses they like:  My wife and I generally have the complaint that memory foam mattresses (or... the ones we've tried) tend to not breathe and be hot.  We live in the south, so ... hot is bad.  Are there models that have put some sort of air pocket/pillow top/insulation between the foam and the top to solve this?   What models would you recommend?

Yea I've heard this as well.  There are some that use a *"cooling gel" layer.  Some of the higher end ones *"infuse" the gel into the foam.  I think it ultimately comes down to how firm the mattress is, and how much you sink into it.  I personally get the same heat issue from a pillow top mattress, so I'm not sure how much that would help.

I know other people have complained about having sex on these types of beds.  They don't give the...active feedback that innersprings do.  So not sure if people are willing to share their experiences in this regard, but it was something I've heard, but haven't experienced.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:06 AM »
I know other people have complained about having sex on these types of beds.  They don't give the...active feedback that innersprings do.  So not sure if people are willing to share their experiences in this regard, but it was something I've heard, but haven't experienced.

Ha! Inevitable that this got mentioned ;-)

Personally, I was never very fond of the "active feedback" from spring mattress, so I certainly don't miss that. Also, less movement = less noise, if that's a concern. FWIW, we've never had any complaints about foam mattresses in this regard.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »

Yea I've heard this as well.  There are some that use a *"cooling gel" layer.  Some of the higher end ones *"infuse" the gel into the foam.  I think it ultimately comes down to how firm the mattress is, and how much you sink into it.  I personally get the same heat issue from a pillow top mattress, so I'm not sure how much that would help.

I have never had a problem with sleeping hot on mine, but I think I remember the salesperson saying something about it having some kind of cooling layer in it (don't recall if it is a gel or some type of fabric layer on top of the latex).  I've heard other people complain about this on older latex beds, so perhaps it is something they have resolved with the newer models.

As for the other part, I can't say I have any complaints.  It is certainly much, much quieter, and I tend to prefer the ah...erm...firm support?  I suppose I like that there is less bouncyness since the movement and friction is channeled to...other places.  It is hard to explain without being indelicate...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
I recommend http://www.us-mattress.com/ if you know what you want.  Dependable, free delivery, half the cost of regular mattress stores, and free exchanges if it doesn't work out for you.

Anecdote:

When I went mattress shopping a few years back I visited all of the stores in town, like SleepCountry and the like.  They were very friendly and helped me find what kind of mattress I liked.

Then I made the mistake of checking the internet for prices on those same mattresses that I liked in the store, and they were typically 40-50% cheaper online.  I went back to the stores and explained that I was happy to pay a little extra  beause they have overhead and a showroom and helpful sales people, but their prices seemed awfully high.  They wouldn't budge, and were very critical of my online price comparison shopping, as if I had somehow betrayed their trust.

Which is bullshit.  They're a business and they want to make money, and I would help them make money if they were charging 10 or 15% more than online retailers.  But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay TWICE AS MUCH for the exact same mattress.  So I ordered from us-mattress.com/ and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Also, for people who really like memory foam mattresses, Costco sometimes has quality memory foam mattress pads for less than $200.  Unless  your current mattress is super saggy in the middle, I think this solution is just as good as the $4k memory foam mattresses.
I've never heard anything good about a mattress store.  My dad recently was shopping for a bed for his apartment and went to a Sleepy's.  The sales guy wouldn't tell him any prices until he tried them out and said he liked them.  Then, when my dad said he wasn't interested in the $1800 mattress, the guy said he could have it for $1500.  Growing more uncomfortable, my dad decided just to leave.  As he was walking out the door, he was offered $1200.  Then he ran outside while my dad was about to drive away and said "$850 if you take it right now".  No thanks.

We bought our mattress and box spring at a used furniture store, something like $200.  We got a memory foam "topper" at Target for $60 and it's been pretty perfect for us the past year.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
My next bed is going to be a 6" natural latex mattress.

My second choice would be to buy sheets of regular foam (I found a local marine upholstery supply place with good prices) and some spray adhesive, and glue the foam pieces up into a mattress.  I just did this for our new homemade daybed.  The foam will supposedly last about seven years, and cost $165 for a twin mattress's worth.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
If you live by a Macys - they have pretty decent mattress sales a couple of times per year.  I bought a Hotel Collection mattress for more than half off (yes - still expensive!  But amazing bed.  We love it and will use it for a long time.  One of my favorite purchases!)

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
Hahaha. This just popped up in my 'new replies' section and I first read it as "Where to get good in bed."

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 03:24:20 PM »
"Where to get good in bed."

College >:D   lol

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
We bought a king size sleep number bed & really love it.  They have a limited 20 year warranty. Each year you own the bed the amount they will pay you if something goes wrong decreases.  WE have had our 9 years and no probs.  People with queen size tend to dislike it. Not sure if it is because each person can not adjust their own side or if they can maybe that makes it uncomfortable since it is a smaller bed.  Also our bed does not go up & down to sitting position but I think some of the newer models do if you want that.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 12:07:58 AM »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »
We bought a cheap full sized mattress from a discount furniture warehouse type place when we first got married, so use as a guest bed.  I think it was 400$.  It sucks so hard.  It is ok but uncomfortable for one persons.  For two, forget it.  It loves on as our guest bed because we have better things to spend money on.  My point is to be careful about super cheap ones. 

Our mattress is 9 years old and seems not so good anymore.  It was a big S (Serta, Simmons, or sealy, I don't know which) and around 1000$.  We would like to replace at some point.  We may try the costco memory foam one called Novaform (around 700-900$ I believe, they put them on sale at least once a year) as we can always return it if we hate it.  I would rather do  a natural latex one.   I haven't done any actual research but I perceive them to be very expensive.  Does anyone know how much they cost and if there are any deals to be had?

Embarrassing admission:  we bought our mattress and box spring 9 years ago and still don't have a bed frame for it.  Now I am thinking we will end up with a platform bed and no box spring so I am sort of glad we never spent the money on a bed!  Meanwhile the full size guest bed has an awesome solid mahogany bed that we picked up for 20$ at a garage sale, since no one wants full beds anymore. 

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »
Another recommendation for Ikea memory foam mattress. We got ours in the as-is section for really cheap, I think under $200 for a queen-size. I was a little worried about the claims that they got hot, but we've never noticed this issue. We just keep it directly on the floor for now.

As for a proper bed, my best idea is to build one out of lumber. Use the same techniques that go into building a house floor with 2x4 joists under plywood, and the thing would be solid. I tried to build a platform bed out of iron pipe but it was too unstable and rather expensive, don't try that.

carloco

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
Latex mattresses from IKEA have a long warranty and they are reasonable prices.  That's were I'm getting mine when it's replacing time.  Now, i think about about it my mattress is over 20 years old.

Also, Costco have foam mattresses.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
Thanks for the Tuft and Needle mention. We are in the market for kids beds, so I will have to check those out.

We ordered two for the kids. Should be here in a couple weeks... I'm very interested to see how they feel!

bateloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
We have layers of high quality foam on a wood platform.   There is a place called the Foam Factory in Detroit.   
6 inches of latex as a base is divine. 

I let out a joyous laugh every time I go to bed - it is sooo comfortable.   I no longer have pain in my hips (bursitis?) when laying on my side.  If you like soft - it's worth considering.   

I was talked into this had reservations that this solution would not suit me.   I'm so glad I was wrong.    You can spend 300 to start with and just build up from there.     

We had our neighbors come over and they ordered a topper for their bed - same result (huge improvement in sleep). 

We also bought foam for a pet bed there - much softer than the stuffed crap at the pet store.

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »
Another vote for the sleep number bed.  In addition to making both of us happy (fairly different firmness preferences) it's got a few cool side bennies:

- Since the core is essentially two air bladders it doesn't slowly collapse in the center of each sleeper's spot.  That was my main gripe about our delux tempurpedic (at about 8 years it was done).  In theory this should extend the life of the mattress quite bit.

- It's really light. Again, air bladders in the middle.  It's nice to be able to lift the corners of a king size bed to replace sheets/mattress liner so easily.  That tempurpedic weighed a ton! 

And we have never had a problem with the center divide...it's not noticeable.

Rickk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
We have been really happy with an inexpensive memory foam mattress on our old box spring.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-8-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/12542630
I believe this is the one we got - I know it was Spa-Sensations from Walmart.  Way more comfortable and cheaper than any other mattress we have ever had.  Look up the reviews on the internet - you will be surprised by how much people like this really inexpensive mattress.
Yes - it is hot in the summer (being memory foam), and no you don't get the "Bounce" that some people like during certain activities, but we really like that when I roll over the misses doesn't roll around because of my movement.

fixer-upper

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »
I'm pretty happy with a sam's club mattress (not the padded kind), a memory foam topper, and an elevated frame like this one: 

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
Hi - OP here....  Well, I turned my current piece of crap bed in for a warranty replacement with Slumberland and after sending out a technician to take measurements to see if our sleeping spots on the bed were "sunken" enough - he came, he measured - and he approved a new mattress and box spring.

So I get the pleasure of picking out a new mattress from Slumberland (I am sure they will find a way to charge us $200-$300 dollars....)  and try to convince them to deliver the bed to my house, since we originally paid for delivery of the first bed purchased.

I will spend more time picking out a quality mattress (and remember that higher $$ doesn't mean better mattress by any means!)  And try to get something made with quality materials that don't compress as easily.   Thanks for all the suggestions and links!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 11:32:59 PM »

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
Hi - OP here....  Well, I turned my current piece of crap bed in for a warranty replacement with Slumberland and after sending out a technician to take measurements to see if our sleeping spots on the bed were "sunken" enough - he came, he measured - and he approved a new mattress and box spring.

So I get the pleasure of picking out a new mattress from Slumberland (I am sure they will find a way to charge us $200-$300 dollars....)  and try to convince them to deliver the bed to my house, since we originally paid for delivery of the first bed purchased.

I will spend more time picking out a quality mattress (and remember that higher $$ doesn't mean better mattress by any means!)  And try to get something made with quality materials that don't compress as easily.   Thanks for all the suggestions and links!

Went to the store this weekend and hated the sales lady.   Without even asking us what we were looking for she started to parade us across the sales floor to try (of course) the 2k-3k beds.   I stopped her and tried to tell her what we were looking for and what problems we were having but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.   I would ask her about the quality of materials in the cushion and springs, and she would start to tell me about the "cooling layer at the top."   

Also she really pissed me off.  She was trying to sell us the new 3K miracle bed and I wasn't interested.  I told her I wouldn't be purchasing a 3k bed, and she told me it would really only be 1.5k because of the credit we have on file! 

Oh and then she told us about all the other things we could purchase as well.  The new protectant cover that protects against germs - it has silver threads!   And we could also purchase metal beams for our bed frame to improve that as well!

She then showed us the temperpedic beds which were higher priced as well.  Immediately when I laid on the bed I got a mouthful of the chemical smell and told her I wasn't interested.  She was very rude and pushy - telling us that this was the best bed and the one we really should get.  I told her absolutely not, the smell was bothering me already and plus - I am pregnant so I don't need to be inhaling all those chemicals for 8 hours a night!  She was very argumentative and in an accusing tone asked me if I went to work.  Because I could just take the cover and sheets off every day while I was at work and air out the bed for the month it takes to lose the scent.

Needless to say we will not be working with this woman again and will be making our purchase with a better sales rep.   

dutch577

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
I ran across this blog looking for something else. I don't know where you live in MN but the one place I would check out if looking for a bed is Beds by Design in Fargo, ND or Sioux Falls, SD. There is also Comfort King in both of those towns that is similar in process. They make beds in their store based on what you want. Then if you later want the feel to change, they will come out and modify the fill. They aren't the cheapest but they are less then the upper end at mattress stores and a way better value.

I am sure there are other places like this where they custom build mattresses for you. If they are like places such as Beds by Design or Comfort King, they are easier to work with in the long run. If there are comfort issues in the future, they can fix the bed. You just pay for materials and not labor, like extra fill.

I have a few friends that completely swear by Beds by Design, for example. They have bought beds for their kids and as they grow instead of getting a new bed, they have them readjusted for their weight and size. In the long run, it is exponentially cheaper.

I don't have anything to do with these companies. I just ran across this forum while searching for Simmons warranty claims. I don't know how, but it is what it is. I have a Simmons which is getting replaced under warranty but the next bed I purchase will be from Beds by Design.

BigHammah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
This has been the wife & I's bed (well, part of it) for a few years. I call it a camp-style bed, but really it's just 1x4s, 2x4s, screws & lag bolts scrounged from a job site. After inheriting a family hand-me-down double bed from the earlier half of the 20th century, locally made with similar (moveable) slats, I never wanted anything with a box-spring again. An added bonus is all the space under the bed for storage. I could have fancied it up, but with skirting over it all you see is the four legs anyway, so it looks fine. We did shell out for a mattress, though not that much - about $250 for a 10" futon mattress with pocketed coil springs. By far one of the most comfortable beds you'll ever sleep on.

I have a buddy who works as a furniture salesman, who regularly regales me with the ludicrous markup in that industry. Really many of the products are low-quality crap, so it amazes me how conditioned people are to buy expensive bed combos.

Don't underestimate the make-it-yourself option.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:48:08 PM by BigHammah »

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »
Unfortunately, I have not had this experience. I bought a "high quality" ~$300 tempurpedic knock-off about 18 months ago and I am already searching for a replacement. Mine's already worn out and saggy.

aclarridge

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
We bought an Ikea Sultan Hamnvik king size...it's great. Craters a bit, but not enough to matter really and it's not getting worse. Wife loves it. I don't remember how much it was but it was way cheaper than comparable mattresses that we found at the time. We were worried that we went too cheap but it's been ~3.5 years and still going strong.

If I had to do it over again though I might just go with one of Ikea's foam mattresses, they are even cheaper, last forever AFAIK, and comfortable in my opinion.

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »
I went ahead and bought a Tuft and Needle bed. After checking out there was a link to receive $50 off the purchase of a bed, which I am passing on to anyone who may need it:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/r/P0NKqBCS
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:36:38 AM by jat9449 »

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »

We ordered two for the kids. Should be here in a couple weeks... I'm very interested to see how they feel!
I went ahead and bought a Tuft and Needle bed. After checking out there was a link to receive $50 off the purchase of a bed, which I am passing on to anyone who may need it:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/r/g5BXWMa0

Let us know how it is once you try it! I looked through all their website info and it sounds promising... at the very least it seems to be a no-lose situation since they refund you if you don't like it within 30 days.

Thanks for the code too! If I do take the plunge I'll post mine as well.

frankiefth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
Here's a link to save $50 and get free shipping on your own Tuft & Needle mattress:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/r/Y9l0fIpT

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
Given how much time we spend sleeping and the exponential problems caused by not getting enough quantity or quality, this is one place where cheap can be really counterproductive. 

Over a decade ago, my wife convinced me that a tempu-pedic was an "investment". Despite my skepticism and horror at paying over a grand for a big lump of foam, I'd have to agree it was a great idea.  Slept well ever since.  It has it's disadvantages-  not as great when the weather is in the 90s without a/c, and pricey up front are two.  But it works exactly as it did over 10 years ago, and at this rate may be the last one we ever buy.  Maybe the "other" foam mattresses are just as good, but even I'm not complaining about the price anymore.

BTW-  we still use a Full size.  Cuts the cost considerably, and I didn't marry my wife so we could sleep as is we're in different zip codes.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
We bought an organic cotton Natural Latex bed about 5 years ago. from a place called green mattress factory. I tried to look them up for a link, but it looks like they are no longer in business, which is no surprise, their customer service and shipping times were horrible, but we absolutely love the mattresses we bought from them, they are awesome, I feel younger sleeping on it :)

We want to get a king size bed, we will get one from Tufts and Needle though, that is the best my research could come up with.

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
We got our bed and it came nice and quick.  Only one night sleep, but I loved it (wife too) - if you like firm mattresses, I would recommend. 

When you buy a bed, they give you a link to send to others:  $50 off here https://www.tuftandneedle.com/r/DjqyYPj4