Author Topic: What’s a thing you picked up from these forums that you didn’t know or do before?  (Read 7975 times)

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Reusing dryer sheets, cutting sponges in half, trapping stray cats for meat and fur trade.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Reusing dryer sheets, cutting sponges in half, trapping stray cats for meat and fur trade.

They're called roof rabbits for a reason.

Icecreamarsenal

• Bristles
  • Burnt

Pizzabrewer

• Bristles
Learning that my debt was an emergency, including my mortgage debt.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/04/18/news-flash-your-debt-is-an-emergency/

Except that your mortgage debt isn't. 

macoconut

• Stubble
  • Uncombed hair and coffee

Except that your mortgage debt isn't.
Yep! Mortgage debt is wonderful (at least in the US).

tralfamadorian

• Pencil Stache

From that article:
If you borrow even one dollar for anything other than your primary house or a profitable investment,  the very next dollar you can get your hands on should go to paying that back.

zerothreetwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Index fund investing
  • The importance of savings rate.
  • Little lifestyle tweaks that gets you rich in the long run! :)

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
Whatís a thing you picked up from these forums that you didnít know or do before?

Mine is so random and not like a good ETF reco but based on a post I read here I glued a magnet to a big Sharpie to keep on our fridge.

That darn fridge Sharpie is so useful. No one steals it bc of the weird magnet and I swear labeling and dating stuff helps us take better care of our things.

Reminds me of the local post office taping a plastic fork to the end of all the pens on the forms table to
keep people from running off with them.
  While at the post office waiting I couldn't help but announce to others in line, that I wanted to steal a fork,
but they have those stupid pens taped to them!

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
Sell your Long Term Capital Gains while in a the 0% tax bracket to create a higher cost basis.
 I had many years with kid deductions, college tuition credits and other tax deductions that put me
in lower bracket where my LTCGs would be taxed at 0%.
  Now the kids are older and I can't deduct their costs so have missed the opportunity.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
I learned what seasoning cast iron cookware actually is.  It has helped me do it right.  You're actually polymerizing the oil into a homemade non-stick surface. 

If you don't cook with cast-iron, you should try it.  It's very robust, and unlike teflon if you mess up the seasoning, you just smooth it back out and reseason. 

The Investing Hispster

• Stubble
  • "Not all those who wander are lost"
So many things come to mind but the big ones are:

1. That I can bike everywhere
2. How we design cities and affordable housing for people and how important these things (inspired me to apply to go back to school and do my masters)
3. The importance of eating at home more vs going out to eat
4. That money is a ticket to freedom, opposed to being used to acquire goods and services
5. Spending money to optimize happiness

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1. To really examine my savings and how to optimize them
2. Not spending is a valid choice
3. I can bike and walk many places, especially after giving up...
4. ...my rental house with a 'short' (20 minute) clown-car commute in a 'nice' (completely car dependant) area was costing me a lot more in the long run than a centrally-located apartment in a newer building in a safe, walkable neighborhood.
5. +1 on Personal Capital--though I may have heard about it on frugalwoods first...
6. That there can be a savings goal beyond just 'saving' for a nebulous future, and how to put those little green soldiers to work!
7. The big one--to stop caring about what other people think and make the frugal choice! Still a work in progress, but it's so great to know there are others out there like me :)