Author Topic: What Podcasts are you listening to?  (Read 98578 times)

Guide2003

• Stubble
Re: What Podcasts are you listening to?
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
I listen at 1.5x speed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I devour more material that way.
After a few weeks of 1.5x step it up to 2x. Occasionally you have to rewind for a comment or you'll find some podcasters consistently speak too fast, but it's pretty easy to train yourself to understand it. 

Lots of really great ones here; one I didn't see is "The Way I Heard It" with Mike Rowe. Short weekly stories that are extremely well-told about interesting people. Even the intro and ads are interestingly woven in to the 12 minute episodes and I can squeeze in a couple of these between school and work in the morning.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
I used to listen at 1.5x, but I found myself enjoying the episodes less than I used to.
I'm back down to 1.3x, but I had to drop a few podcasts since I can't get through them all.

here are recommendations I've subscribed to recently:
1) Q'ed up
The 1st season was a deep dive into gentrification and racial tensions in a suburb of SF bay area.
In usual NPR fashion, they interview many different stakeholders, including ex-police chief, HS principal, students, community leaders, and homeless.
The 2nd season is currently running and it's about an innocent man sent to jail for 40 years.
https://ww2.kqed.org/news/programs/qedup/

2) Undiscovered
Science stories about the behind the scenes stuff which doesn't make the headlines.
http://www.undiscoveredpodcast.org/

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
Recently started to listen to Up and Vanished.

It's about an unsolved mystery in Georgia apparently their largest case file. Recently had an arrest due in part to investigation by the podcast.

I think it's pretty interesting, but (i) the first few episodes are edited poorly (adds often come mid-sentence) because it was a new medium for the podcaster and (ii) the show alternates between episode and a "case evidence" episode which mostly just rehashes stuff from previous episodes.

I think that the episodes are generally very good, but there isn't much value to the case evidence episodes. So, while the podcast airs once a week, it's really more like once every 2 weeks.

Regardless, I think it's pretty good. It's also nice that it seems like we'll actually figure out what really happened (unlike something like Serial where we still don't know the truth).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »
I listen at 1.5x speed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I devour more material that way.
After a few weeks of 1.5x step it up to 2x.

My current podcast app goes up to 3x speed. I rarely go that fast, but 2.4-2.8x?  So good. :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »
Some new ones to check out:
Every little thing--just random topics teach you about amazing aspects of mundane things
What Trump Can Teach Us About ConLaw--a nonpartisan political podcast with Roman Mars
Revisionist History--maybe mentioned above but after a break some recent episodes are coming out

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2017, 08:38:44 AM »
I'm a big fan of anything true-crime related:

Making a Murderer
Thin Air
Up and Vanished
Last Podcast on the Left
True Crime Garage

Also been listening to Stuff you should know & stuff you missed in history class for years.

Excited for all the suggestions on here to work some new ones into my rotation!

Katsplaying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
Ear Hustle just started, produced by the people who bring you 99% Invisible, which is also awesome. Also Con Law. what the DT presidency is teaching us about Constitutional law.

And everyone should listen to Dan Savage's Savage Love for relationship advice. VERY NSFW & usually political ranting at the top of the show.

Cheers

Kat

Joeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2017, 07:36:27 PM »
If you liked the Washington Post's Presidential Podcast, they are starting a new Podcast Constitutional

knight rider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
Up First
Marketplace
Milk Street Radio (Christopher Kimball's new show)
Freakonomics
Planet Money
Radiolab
The Sporkful
This American Life
Windows Weekly
This Week in Tech
99% Invisible
Car Talk
Corner Office from Marketplace
Criminal
Hardcore History
Serial
Spilled Milk
The Finer Points (aviation podcast)
FT Alphachat
How I Built This
Make Me Smart
How I Built This
The Way I Heard It

Wow. I listen to a LOT of podcasts!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Up First
Marketplace
Milk Street Radio (Christopher Kimball's new show)
Freakonomics
Planet Money
Radiolab
The Sporkful  <<------
This American Life
Windows Weekly
This Week in Tech
99% Invisible
Car Talk
Corner Office from Marketplace
Criminal
Hardcore History
Serial
Spilled Milk
The Finer Points (aviation podcast)
FT Alphachat
How I Built This
Make Me Smart
How I Built This
The Way I Heard It

Wow. I listen to a LOT of podcasts!

That one in the middle sounds AWESOME!

Forever Wednesday

« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2017, 04:57:32 AM »

My current podcast app goes up to 3x speed. I rarely go that fast, but 2.4-2.8x?  So good. :D

That's fascinating, I might have to try this. I have some questions:

Do you break up your listening time? For instance, would you listen for a solid block of 1 hour, or would you split it into 4 x 15 minute chunks with gaps between in order to think about / digest the material?

Do you find that the speed up approach works better for some genres of podcast / audiobook more so than others?

In the case of audiobooks, do you simultaneously speed-read a physical copy as you speed-listen the audio copy in order to maximise the sensory input? :)

mike_fernlea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:30 AM »
Money
====
ChooseFI
Planet Money
The Mad Fientist

Food
===
The Food Chain
Delicious Magazine
The Sporkful
America's Test Kitchen
Cook the Perfect

Life stories
=======
Death, Sex and Money
iPM: We start with your stories
The Lapse
This American Life
The Good Fight with Ben Wikler (nothing new since 2015)
The Moth
Radiolabs
S-Town/Serial
This is Actually Happening
Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder

IT related
======
Reply All
Note to Self

Politics
====
The Irish Times Inside Politics
Trumpcast
Brexitcast
Slate's Political Gabfest

General Interest
==========
Say Why to Drugs
Revisionist History
The Briefing Room
Criminal
Every Little Thing
Hidden Brain
The Hilarious World of Depression
History Extra
The History of WWII
Horizon Line
In Pod We Trust (nothing since 2015)
Invisabilia
Love and Radio
The Memory Palace

Sport
===
The Ruck

Humour
=====
Alan Davies As Yet Untitled
Ross O'Carroll-Kelly @ The Irish Times

I hadn't realised I subscribed to so many til I started writing them down. In case you wondered, I spend a lot of time running and always listen to podcasts when I do!

sultee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
Last Podcast on The Left! For anyone looking to lighten up the mood with some weird topics and comedy! Abe Lincoln's Top Hat for politics

sultee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
I'm a big fan of anything true-crime related:

Making a Murderer
Thin Air
Up and Vanished
Last Podcast on the Left
True Crime Garage
First of all, it's awesome to see another LPOTL fan! If you like those, you'll love Undisclosed, Serial, Generation Why, Mysteries Abound, and Sword and Scale.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »

Do you break up your listening time? For instance, would you listen for a solid block of 1 hour, or would you split it into 4 x 15 minute chunks with gaps between in order to think about / digest the material?

Do you find that the speed up approach works better for some genres of podcast / audiobook more so than others?

In the case of audiobooks, do you simultaneously speed-read a physical copy as you speed-listen the audio copy in order to maximise the sensory input? :)

- I listen to a whole podcast. However long that is. I may or may not break between episodes.
- I basically only listen to non-fiction podcasts, so IDK about differences in genres.
- Nope, one or the other.

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

2ndGenFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »
I just caught all the way up with "ChooseFI." Probably the best FI podcast ever. Also listening to the Mad Fientist now.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/choosefi-radio-podcast-financial-independence-early/id1187770032?mt=2

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »

I find I have to listen to the whole episode in one sitting in order to remember the context. I have the hardest time at double speed with British or Australian accents. Recently I feel like I've consumed too much content and I'm not profiting or remembering it like I should. Anyone have any tips or experience with over-consumption of material? I got into podcasts because I felt like it was more productive than music or listening to nothing, but now I feel like I'm not maximizing the learning like I could.

onewayfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2017, 12:41:17 AM »
I've added and subtracted many of the ones mentioned here before, but my current repertoire includes the following:
- Freakonomics
- Nutrition Facts with Dr. Gregor
- The Art of Manliness
- The Voluntary Life
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Waking Up with Sam Harris
- The Knowledge Project

for-profit noodle

• Stubble
    • Journal: Starting My Frugal FIRE
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »
Posting to follow! Need to add some FI goodness to my podcast rotation. I am not able to keep up with a lot of podcasts at once but these are the ones I am subscribed to currently:
- Radiolab
- On the Media
- Invisibilia
- Why Oh Why
- Politically Re-Active
- More Perfect (Radiolab spinoff)
- Strangers
- Criminal
- TAL

Generally go for smart and/or funny people talking about current events and human interest stories. If I could only listen to one podcast, it'd be Criminal, though. I saw a live show and Phoebe Judge is just the greatest.

FR2000EE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2017, 03:11:50 AM »
Two podcasts that I really enjoy that are different:

How to be a Girl  -  a mom discusses her life raising a transgender child. It sounds strange, but it is wonderful.

The Mental Illness Happy Hour  -  a podcast that has some great sharing from everyday people about their life challenges.

clifford4970

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »
My Favorites not in any particular order:

-The GaryVee Audio Experience (Entrepreneur, Business)
-BizNinja Radio (Entrepreneur)
-60Days2Living (Entrepreneur, Mindset, Frugality, Books)
-Momentum Podcast - Alex Charfen (Mindset)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Found this thread a few months ago and started listening to Hardcore History. Absolutely amazing. Many thanks to all those that recommended it. I just finished the whole Countdown to Armageddon (WW1) series as well as the Celtic Holocaust and I'm listening to another standalone one about nuclear weapons. I'm definitely planning to purchase some of the older series like the Punic Wars and the Mongols.

I've also been listening to some "Freakonomics" and "How I built This". They're generally ok to good but I do enjoy the long-form style of Hardcore History.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2017, 07:41:45 AM »
Found this thread a few months ago and started listening to Hardcore History. Absolutely amazing. Many thanks to all those that recommended it. I just finished the whole Countdown to Armageddon (WW1) series as well as the Celtic Holocaust and I'm listening to another standalone one about nuclear weapons. I'm definitely planning to purchase some of the older series like the Punic Wars and the Mongols.

I've also been listening to some "Freakonomics" and "How I built This". They're generally ok to good but I do enjoy the long-form style of Hardcore History.

Hardcore History is awesome. I also like his politics show Common Sense. Neither come out very frequently.

While waiting for more Hardcore History, I started listening to the Pirate History Podcast. It's pretty good to. Not as good as Hardcore History, but it comes out far more frequently.

Atlguy49

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »
Wow, you guys just gave me a bunch of new ones to listen to!

My current favorites not related to money:

1. Sex with Emily - This one would appeal to both men and women, although the host tends cater to women since she is one. 
2. The Great Love Debate - For those of us who are single and trying to navigate this awful dating world
3. Terrible, thanks for asking
4. Risk! - Hilarious and serious stories of regular people
5. Mental Illness Happy Hour - We all know people or have people in our family who struggle with depression, bipolar, are narcissists, etc.  This is a great one on mental health with interesting guests and some humor mixed in
6. WTF with Marc Maron - Comedian, actor who runs the podcast out of his garage! Interviews celebrities, comedians, and even Presidents.
7. The Psychology Podcast - A little in the weeds on clinical psychology, but I love psychology.  Just have to pick the topics you're interested in.

I used to like Art of Charm, but now it seems all entrepreneur based interviews and a waste of my time.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:33:53 AM by Atlguy49 »

KM77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2018, 06:28:25 AM »
Wanted to check in and recommend a couple more that I've been really loving lately:

Meditation/Mindfulness/Inspiring talks: Tara Brach

CrossFit: The CrossFit Podcast

Relationships: Where Should We Begin? with Esther Perel

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

FT Alphachat

I was a little sad when I realized it wasn't "FT Alpaca-Chat"

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
My wife and I are both enjoying more perfect from radiolab.   Its about the supreme court a d the first few episodes have been interesting

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I love More Perfect right now. I can't wait for them to release a new season!

Also really enjoying Stay Tuned with Preet Bharara. Interesting interviews with government officials (past and present) and good discussions about how U.S. government and the legal system works (and how it should work).

coopdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
Econtalk with Russ Roberts

Hard-core History with Dan Carlin

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: June 16, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »
Econtalk with Russ Roberts

Hard-core History with Dan Carlin

Glad to see a fellow Econtalk listener here.

BackroadsBetty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2019, 02:23:19 PM »
Not yet mentioned and one I’ve enjoyed:  Tangentially Speaking with Dr. Christopher Ryan - Really broad subject matter and interviews with guests that have interesting life stories or are experts on some topic. Guests have included Aron Ralston, Wim Hof, and none other than Mr. Money Mustache (episode from Sep 24, 2018)!

Also, I’d recommend the What Fresh Hell podcast, which is hosted by two moms and is specifically about motherhood. It’s hilarious!

I appreciate all the great recommendations here.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »
Wow, you guys just gave me a bunch of new ones to listen to!

My current favorites not related to money:

1. Sex with Emily - This one would appeal to both men and women, although the host tends cater to women since she is one
2. The Great Love Debate - For those of us who are single and trying to navigate this awful dating world
3. Terrible, thanks for asking
4. Risk! - Hilarious and serious stories of regular people
5. Mental Illness Happy Hour - We all know people or have people in our family who struggle with depression, bipolar, are narcissists, etc.  This is a great one on mental health with interesting guests and some humor mixed in
6. WTF with Marc Maron - Comedian, actor who runs the podcast out of his garage! Interviews celebrities, comedians, and even Presidents.
7. The Psychology Podcast - A little in the weeds on clinical psychology, but I love psychology.  Just have to pick the topics you're interested in.

I used to like Art of Charm, but now it seems all entrepreneur based interviews and a waste of my time.
What do you mean by that?

BackroadsBetty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:42 PM »
I’ve never listened to Art of Charm, but I do like The Jordan Harbinger Show, which apparently is Jordan Harbinger’s new project since leaving Art of Charm. I don’t seek out the entrepreneurship episodes, but he has a lot of interesting interviews and I especially like his Feedback Friday episodes where he answers listener questions and gives advice on career and relationship issues - I think someone that likes advice columns and podcasts in general would like those episodes.

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2019, 02:54:29 AM »
Ptf

the_FI_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The FI Engineer
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »
The podcasts I'm listening to the most, in no particular order:

The Tim Ferris Show https://tim.blog/podcast/
The Side Hustle Show https://www.sidehustlenation.com/side-hustle-show/
Financial Independence Podcast https://www.madfientist.com/podcast/
Smart Passive Income https://www.smartpassiveincome.com/podcasts/

These are all awesome shows, highly recommended!

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2019, 05:56:54 PM »
The Peter Drive and
Found My Fitness

For info on medicine, general health, and longevity

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2019, 03:05:30 AM »
Not normally a podcast fan but....

Thirteen Minutes to the Moon

About the powered decent of Apollo 11 to the moon.
Topical as this week is the 50th anniversary of the landing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2/episodes/downloads

HerselftheElf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »
The Dream!

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2019, 07:35:55 PM »
JRE ( joe Rohan experience) and BiggerPockets

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2019, 02:27:25 AM »
BBCs "50 things that shaped the modern economy" is truly brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04b1g3c/episodes/downloads

Each bite-sized episode (8-9 minutes each) explores one key invention and how it helped transform the world. By Tim Harford (the guy behing "The undercover economist")

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2019, 06:55:56 AM »
Right now, scouting out what NPR has to offer.

Petergalo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »
- Dave Ramsey Show
- Rationale Reminder 
- Canadian Couch Potato

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
"This is Love" by Phoebe Judge is just brilliant.  I'm really enjoying it and it's a nice break from political podcasts on my walk to work.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: July 29, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
- Dave Ramsey Show
- Rationale Reminder 
- Canadian Couch Potato

I really like the Canadian Couch Potato. It's too bad that his episodes are few and far between.

One of my favorite episodes was "A Hedge Fund Manager Comes Clean". I think it's a great synopsis on why index funds are the way to go.
https://canadiancouchpotato.com/2017/01/11/podcast-3-a-hedge-fund-manager-comes-clean/

smoghat

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: August 01, 2019, 07:10:36 AM »
In Defense of Plants is amazing. If you aren’t excited about botany yet, you will after you hear this. Very well made.

13 Minutes to the Moon, about the Apollo 11 landing and better than any of the recent documentaries for anyone who already is familiar with it.

Conspiracyland, about the Seth Rich case and the conspiracy to make it seem like he was killed by the DNC.

Dan Snow’s History Hit, generally very good

Fivethirtyeight, a bit too millennial-oriented and woke for me, but still interesting.

Spycast, interviews with people involved in the intelligence community.

The History of England, painstaking and detailed but good.

War College, behind the scenes of contemporary warfare.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
Gangster Capitalism: Follows the recent College Admissions Scandal

Gail2000

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2019, 07:47:14 PM »
I have filled some of your suggestions for Canadian couch potato. I will no longer judge a pod cast Buy it’s title. Seeing it in the past, I glanced over it thinking it was similar to the Makenzie brothers on SNL. Thank you for steering me on the right course.

I have discovered grammar girl as I have finally rekindled my love for the written word. I know very well I butcher it but like appreciating a work of art I am delving into the particularities without talent of the artist that created the peice I am looking at. Today I listened to the one discussing where Mango took ona double meaning. Neat!

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2019, 05:02:11 PM »
Just saw this thread and listen to quite a few mentioned. One very good series I listed to recently was Bundyville. First season focuses on the Bundy ranch standoff from several years ago and the family involved, and the Patriot movement. Second season focuses more on the Patriot movement and some more current politics/extremism. 

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/606441988/bundyville

justinhurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2019, 01:06:05 AM »
I'm interested in history and psychology podcasts. At the moment I'm "addicted" to a podcast with Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman where he gives you insights into the mind, brain, behavior, and creativity.
Also, I have a Russian friend who listens to a Russian podcast which is called Lifehacker. Of course, he is in Russian, and I don't understand anything but he tells me about the most interesting topics he listens to. So, I'm informed about all the tips for life :)

savedandsaving

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »
Judge John Hodgman. Pairs of people who write in (usually couples) bring cases against each other in an "internet courtroom" about small everyday issues. Especially funny when one person clearly has a Mustachian-type view of life and one doesn't.

Also refreshing when a heterosexual couple comes in with a lazy, horrifically entitled father/husband and Judge John Hodgman tells the husband off in so many words.

leomatthewadams

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2019, 04:24:57 PM »
Oh wow! This is a huge list of great podcasts to check out. I was coming to this forum to ask the same question (as I have a long commute where I listen to many podcasts a day) and I found this subject! Thank you so much for sharing; definitely putting a follow on this thread to see what other podcasts that people are enjoying nowadays.