Author Topic: What Podcasts are you listening to?  (Read 29831 times)

NorthernBlitz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What Podcasts are you listening to?
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
These are the ones I like best of what I listen to (broken into categories in no particular order)

Money / Self Improvement
The Tim Ferriss Show
Planet Money
Canadian Couch Potato
Afford Anything
Stacking Benjamins
Mad Fientist

Science and General Interest
Radio Lab
Freakonimics Radio
TED Radio Hour
Tell Me Something I don't Know
Crimetown USA
Serial
Reply All
The Athletic Toronto (Mostly a Leafs Podcast)
Hidden Brain
Code Breaker

History / Politics
Hardcore History (Dan Carlin)
Common Sense (Dan Carlin)
The Pirate History Podcast
More Perfect (Radio Lab spin off)

With my Kids
Brains On
Stories Alive
But Why
Story Pirates

NorthernBlitz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »
You guys gave me so many wonderful podcasts I couldn't keep up. And now I've cut my drive from 1.5hrs each way to a mere 45min each way! =o I will miss my podcast time a little, not gonna lie!

I listen at 1.5x speed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I devour more material that way.

For residents of NY State, I also just found out that we can access the New York Public Library on Overdrive. Listened to Stumbling on Happiness last week. Have been contemplating whether or not I would enjoy an Audible subscription for a while, but getting audio books for free is much better!

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin

I'm almost done with his Countdown to Armageden series on WWI.  I have a major in social studies with an emphasis in history, and I've gained a better perspective on WWI through his podcast than I did through my time in college.  He's that good IMO. 

I've heard his series on the Mongol Invasion is the best, but you have to pay for it.  I might choose to pay for it. 

I don't have your background in WWI history, but I felt like his series really gave me a new perspective of the lives that were just thrown away for nothing in WWI.

I bought the Mongol podcasts. I'm a big fan and had read Conn Igguldelden's historical fiction on the Mongols which I loved.

Really like Carlin's treatment of it, but I think that the WWI series was better. Maybe because it's newer and he's better at it. Maybe because I could picture myself in the trenches in WWI and he's got a bunch more source material.

Either way, Carlin is amazing at making me care about history in a way that my high school teachers never could.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:38:43 AM by NorthernBlitz »

Guide2003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
I listen at 1.5x speed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I devour more material that way.
After a few weeks of 1.5x step it up to 2x. Occasionally you have to rewind for a comment or you'll find some podcasters consistently speak too fast, but it's pretty easy to train yourself to understand it. 

Lots of really great ones here; one I didn't see is "The Way I Heard It" with Mike Rowe. Short weekly stories that are extremely well-told about interesting people. Even the intro and ads are interestingly woven in to the 12 minute episodes and I can squeeze in a couple of these between school and work in the morning.