Author Topic: What kind of bikes do you use?  (Read 29397 times)

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
Re: What kind of bikes do you use?
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
I bought a Schwinn Prelude road bike off Amazon for $250. It works. I even wrecked it high speed and dislocated my shoulder with no damage to bike.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 01:27:52 AM »
Not sure if anyone will see this but this kind of bikes are hugely popular in Europe, page is in German but you'll get the point

http://www.lucky-bike.de/Fahrraeder/Citybike/Diamant-Saphir-2013.html

Also I haven't seen this anywhere else but pretty much all bikes in Germany come with the dynamo hubs, love them!!!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
Not sure if anyone will see this but this kind of bikes are hugely popular in Europe, page is in German but you'll get the point

http://www.lucky-bike.de/Fahrraeder/Citybike/Diamant-Saphir-2013.html

Also I haven't seen this anywhere else but pretty much all bikes in Germany come with the dynamo hubs, love them!!!
Lol, the pricing threw me off at first, I was thinking, "Why do they put comma's at the hundreds but not at 10,000?"  Then I realized they use comma's in place of periods to separate decimals.  My wife would like a bike like that, with a basket.

As for the dynamo hubs, they seem interesting, but it would have to increase friction which means I have to peddle more to get where I'm going, and generally slower speeds.  Batteries last me 6 months to a year, add almost no weight, and no friction.  Currently on my bike I can cruise down a flat road for quite a while with minimum slow down.  It's a trade off, I'd have to ride one to see if I can feel any difference.

auxym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
Picked up this one on kijiji earlier this summer, 150$. Spent two weeks and about that amount getting it back to like new shape, rides awesome. The guys in Classic&Vintage on bikeforums.net were super helpful and generally awesome, if anyone here is interested in doing a restoration project, definitely join over there. My local bike coop is also really cool, unlimited access to all the tools for 10$ for life, how much better can you get? Plus, it was fun working over there, chatting with the bike maniacs.

I think I need to add "bicycle repairs" to my list of hobbies now, because I just picked up this one for 25$, and it looks like it needs a lot of love :)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:10:46 PM by auxym »

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »
Interesting but I find leaning over on my arms all to be very uncomfortable, hence the reason for an old fashion  city bike, plus those small seats are uncomfortable.

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
Bakari's post about halfway through the first page pretty much sums it up.  As a commuter and bike mechanic, it's pretty awesome for first time buyers. 

The reality is that almost any bike with decent components (3 piece crank, cantilever or v brakes, etc.) can make a decent commuter.  From there it depends on what you want.  I usually recommend some sort of hybrid or flat bar road bike for people who are just starting a commute.  They're reasonably light and sturdy.  They also usually have enough clearance for some bigger tires and fenders, and some rack mounts for hauling stuff.  The upright bar also is generally more comfortable for beginners, and with the larger 700c wheels and geometry they tend to have a better compromise between handling and stability.

I rode an old Raleigh steel framed hybrid for about 5 years before winter road salt ate through, nd it did just fine.  Then I went with a similar setup on an old univega touring frame, until it met the same fate.  now I'm riding an aluminum cyclocross based frame. 

Anything will work, but make sure you get something decent that fits to start, and get it checked out by a good local shop or cycling friend who has some knowledge.  Nothing derails (pun intended) a good plan for bicycle commuting than frustratingly inappropriate gear, except maybe a poor attitude.  But since you're posting here, we can assume you're good there.

The beauty is, that if you find something decent and then decide you want have different needs later, you can probably sell it later for close to the price you paid.  So don' agonize the details, just go buy something and ride!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
I really appreciated recently reading Bakari's Craigslist buying guide.  After that one read I have become much more aware of what types of components are on bikes.  I always knew my wife's bike was different, and now I know it is a textbook example of a department store bike.  The curved pedals for the single crank, the single pivot point on the brakes, yeah, but it was only $39.  It will hold us over until we find the right bike for her.

An interesting chicken and egg question is would she be more willing to ride a better bike?

hyla

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
What type of bike is best is really personal based on the distances you ride and your preferences.  Currently, most of my trips are less than 2 miles and my commuter is a 70s Schwinn Breeze, which I love for the upright position, three speed hub, fenders, chainguard, and step through frame.  Before I moved here, my commute was 14 miles - I would not have done that on a 35 yr old 3 speed! So I used a Surly cross check which was basically set up as a road bike with a rear rack added so I could carry my stuff.

No matter what bike you have, adding lights, fenders, racks etc. is usually needed to make it a true commuter, and adding the following to my bike has improved it greatly.

Dynamo lights:  I added dyno lights to my Schwinn, and they are the BEST THING EVER!  They are brighter than most battery lights - my headlight actually illuminates the road, letting me see potholes, instead of just lighting my bike enough to be visible/legal.  I never worry about having batteries die.  I never worry about them getting stolen, cause they are bolted onto the bike.  If you commute year round, you will be riding in the dark, and good lights improve things dramatically.  A few folks have mentioned drag from the hub slowing the bike, but I don't notice this.

Folding baskets:  I have one on one side of my rear rack (the other side is left clear in case I want to clip on a pannier) and it's really handy to have storage always on my bike so I can carry things if I stop at the grocery store without planning to on the way home from work.  Because it folds down I can still fit my bike on racks fine.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2014, 07:43:25 PM »
My wife is now the happy owner of a 2014 Specialized Vita Sport.

Her husband (me) is slightly less happy having just seen $800 sucked out of our accounts.

She is determined to ride it to work on any day without significant weather events, so over the long run I'm sure it will pay for itself in fuel savings. But I'm still in a bit of shock. Beautiful bike though.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
I got this bike for 250$(can)

It's an old cannondale touring bike. Built like a tank and fast.
You shouldn't commute in anything but a road bike. Ever. If you are unfortunate enough to own a non-road bike, melt it down right now and upgrade to an actually efficient machine that turns you into a true badass. Leave those mountain and hybrid bikes for the cramped garages of the weekend warriors.

I recently found a 1989 Raleigh Technium Tri-lite for $45 at a yard sale.

I have commuted for about a year and a half on my 'Jeep' hybrid bike before that, and the difference is amazing. 

I've been averaging between 18.5~19.5 mph, peaking out around 35 mph. 

I still plan on using my hybrid for rainy days and for winter/salt riding, but I used to think 'meh, it just makes me work harder which makes me more badass' but I actually get a better workout with the road bike, it allows me to keep myself on the 'edge' where every pedal rotation adds a little bit of umph to my ride, which keeps me constantly pushing.  It's pretty easy to max out what you can do on a hybrid bike and you generally don't push yourself as hard as well. 

Also, if you're like me, get a computer to be able to watch your mph.  My old bike I roughly calculate it by seeing how long it took to ride in, but being able to watch my speed in realtime helps me push harder and keep myself from slacking!

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 03:07:10 AM »
I have a mid 1970s Schwinn Collegiate - 5 speed, steel, built to last.  It came with basket panniers and cost me all of $200 purchase and tune up combined.   It's an awesome bike, but the ladies version.  I'm a sucker for vintage steel bikes though, they just seem sturdier and more reliable than what's in the shops these days. 

I like mid-70s bike--I have a ladies Raleigh Sport from the mid-late 70s.  It's a three speed with a pannier rack.  It makes a great commuter bike for the extremely flat gulf coast of Texas.

Mine is a ladies' 1972 Schwinn Varsity (in my avatar!).  I got her from Craigslist for $120, 3 years ago, with all original parts.  I've added a pannier rack & bags, and replaced the brake cables, saddle (the original got torn somehow), tires, and handlebar tape.  She needs to be repainted.  But she's a great daily commuter, fast enough for my purposes, handles the small-ish hills here pretty easily.  She's heavy, but I'm used to it.

I'd like to get something newer & lighter for long rides, but for everyday use, my bike is perfect.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
What kind of bike is "best" depends on your commute, and your needs.

Steel MTB: if you get an older good quality one, they're awesome. Strong, comfortable, easy to work on, good for shorter commutes or nasty weather. Also good for hauling trailers or heavy loads, not so great for panniers if the chainstays are short.

Hybrids: great all-arounders. They come in lots of variants, but basically, the better ones are road bikes with flat bars. Great for city riding, gives you a comfy upright position to see and be seen in traffic. Not the most efficient, but faster than a MTB.

Steel Touring or Cyclocross bikes: this is (for me) the sweet spot. Strong, fast, comfortable, made for long rides hauling panniers. This is what I use. Kind of expensive if you're buying new. Not the fastest, but does awesome at almost everything else.

True road bikes: I'd only recommend these if you're commuting long distances and you aren't carrying lots of cargo. They're fast and light, but the faster and lighter it is, the less suited it is for commuting. Most high-end racing bikes won't fit fenders or tires wider than 28mm. If your commute is smooth and long, and you can leave changes of clothes at work, this works well.

Obviously there are exceptions to these, but this is basically what I'd recommend.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
For reference, here's what I use: a Surly Long Haul Trucker, built with used MTB parts. Has dynamo lights. I need to put some fenders back on it..

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
Still rockin' my 1994 Giant Rincon mountain bike.  I bike all winter, and have short commutes (<5 miles) to work, grocery store, etc., so intend to use this for as long as I can. 

It is heavy, but that just makes it even easier to stay in shape!

- Chops

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
My dad gave me his previous bike, a 2011 Fuji aluminum road bike. It's got eyelets for a rear rack, so that was the first accessory I got for it. I use it for commuting, hauling groceries (sometimes with a trailer) and recreation.

The bike is a little bit small for me, which is bad for racing but good for comfort.

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
My recommendation is that regardless of exactly what type of bike you get make sure that it is the appropriate size.  There is nothing worse than riding a bike that doesn't fit.  This is more true with road bikes than mountain bikes.  Your commute will be much more enjoyable if you body isn't in agony because you have the wrong sized frame.  A couple minutes of googling this topic should at least give you an idea of the frame size that you need.

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:24 AM »
Two Bianchi Advantage bikes. Got them at Salvation Army for $12 each and put about $100 into them.  Nice ride.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2014, 06:34:59 AM »
Mt Scwhinn preludes are great for the nicely paved trails. Tried riding on these pothole filled roads here and keep popping tubes. Now I want to sell them and buy a lightweight mountain bike with better tires. I would ride my bike more during the summer if I didn't have to worry about tubes blowing.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »
Mt Scwhinn preludes are great for the nicely paved trails. Tried riding on these pothole filled roads here and keep popping tubes. Now I want to sell them and buy a lightweight mountain bike with better tires. I would ride my bike more during the summer if I didn't have to worry about tubes blowing.

While it might be cheaper to sell your current bike and just buy a new (used) mtn bike, keep in mind that if you really love your bike it is possible to just change the tires.

I run Panaracer RiBiMo kevlar tires and have never had a puncture flat on them.  I've ruined a couple of rims with potholes and curbs while carrying heavy loads, and the tubes still don't pop.  I've heard good things about the gatorskins, too, but I've never tried them myself.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »

If potholes are causing your flats, are they 'snakebite' flats?  That happens when the side(s) of your tube get pinched between the tire and the rim.  It may mean to low tire pressure or just needing different rims/tread.

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »
I'll look into better tires. I'll have to check this last flat to see exactly what happened. I hadn't checked it after my wife got back from riding/walking it. I hung it on the wall rack in frustration.
This is what I have. http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Mens-Prelude-Bicycle-BBWhite/dp/B004QM22HC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418402458&sr=8-1&keywords=schwinn+prelude

Any suggestions for better tires/tubes and a way to put brakes on the flat part of the bars? I crashed and dislocated my shoulder because I couldn't hit the brakes fast enough. I typically ride with my hands on the flats and not the horns.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:50:19 AM by b4u2 »