Author Topic: What books have changed your life?  (Read 207323 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What books have changed your life?
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »

I've read the first and last book above, both good picks--and realized "The Art of Learning" is by the same Joshua Waitzkin as described in "Searching for Bobby Fischer" (book and later movie). I've always wondered what happened to him!

He generally avoids the internet and all forms of media.  Tim Ferriss is the only person that seems to draw him out of hiding with any sort of regularity.

Yeah, the Ferriss interviews with him are both incredible. I highly recommend them. (Is there a third? If so, I've only listened to the first two)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
He was on some of the recent mix and match episodes around the holidays. 

actionjackson

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »
Power by Jeffrey Pfeffer - all about the practical realities of gaining/building power in organisations in the real world. The book really cuts through the management self-help, leadership BS and gets down to brass tacks on how to get ahead in the corporate world. It's like the street smart guidebook for aspiring corporate leaders. It has this, play the world for what it is, and not what you wish it was philosophy. It can be a bit Machiavellian, but even if you're not that ruthless, it will prep you to guard against political plays in your own job. Hands down, I wouldn't have had the career success I have if it were not for implementing strategies from that book.

I have others, that have already been mentioned, so I thought I'd just put up one.

The Drawing Bird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »
The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown.  I'm a recovering perfectionist :)

+1  Brene Brown writes refreshing books.  Definitely worth reading if you identify as a "perfectionist" or are interested in psychology.

As far as life-changing, though, I'd have to recommend Triumphs of Experience by George Vaillant.  This book will probably only impact those persuaded by logic.  That being said, it's a beautiful fusion of facts, stories, and philosophy.  It's beautifully written and does not jump to conclusions.

peregrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »
I read about 30 books a year. Three non-fiction books that stand out to me for having changed my perspective:

1. Seven Habits of Highly Successful People by S. Covey   Reading this was the first time I became aware of the difference between reacting and choosing not to/how to react to external situations; also, the idea of things outside our control vs things within. I was 27 and this had a huge impact on my thinking.

2. Man's Search for Meaning by V. Frankl.  Frankl's description of our ability to choose our reaction to any circumstance, no matter how horrific - this deepened my appreciation for the power of our own minds, perspectives.

3. The Rational Optimist - M. Ridley.  I read this in 2016 and it was so uplifting!  In financial terms, I became aware of just how much money I am really making (despite making an 'average' US salary) in regards to meeting physical needs, and especially as compared to previous generations. Again, a book presented me with information contrary to my own ways of thinking about things, and I learned so much.  I think about this one a lot, actually. Read it three times.

lampstache

• Stubble
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker.  Makes you truly understand why worrying is a waste and that you were born with what you need to know when you are in danger.

The Bible

Leaders Always Eat Last by Simon Sinek

juggleandhope

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
So many good books! I cannot thank everyone enough for giving me extra things to search for at the library this weekend.  ...

The Art of Learning - Josh Waitzkin: A deep dive into how to become world class at specific tasks.  The difference between being "great" and "the best of the best" is small but takes incredible amounts of focus and distillation and Josh really breaks it down nicely with personal examples from the world of chess and martial arts.

happened into the BJJ gym that Josh co-runs in Manhattan last month - one of the most impressive learning organizations i've seen in 20 years of teaching.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2017, 07:42:47 AM »
Non-Fiction:

Lies my Teacher Told Me - James Loewen:  One of the most groundbreaking history books I have ever read.  I read this in my 20's and it really clued me in on how poorly history is taught in this country (and I went to good public schools) and on certain fallacies that people tend to use when judging history.  It made history into something I am really interested in, and after reading this, I went on to read a lot of other US history books.

Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond - answers the profound question of "Why did white european societies becomes so technologically dominant?"  To answer that question, he touches on all sorts of subjects, anthropology, agriculture, geography, animal husbandry, germ theory etc....  It taught me to look at many things from a more anthropological perspective.  Collapse and The World until Yesterday are pretty good too. 

Non-Zero - Robert Wright.  This was written before 9/11 and essentially predicted it, and talks about how the trend of history tends toward a global society.  In light of recent events, I want to reread this, but at the time it seemed highly prescient.

Fiction:
1984, Brave New World - the old style dystopian novels. 

I Know this much is True - Wally Lamb.  Such an empathetic book.

Lord of the Rings - I read these in high school and they had a huge impact on me. 

Hyperion Series - Dan Simmons  Quite simply the finest Sci-fi series I have read with an amazing ending.

jmsmall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Paleopathologist
« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Chaos by James Gleick changed how I look at the world; stock market, weather, everything.
Happiness is a Serious Problem by Prager--short read, fascinating ideas
Forgive to Live by Tibbets
Essentialism by Greg McKeown, pretty mustachian, has not changed me as much as I'd like YET but it's nibbling away at me

What else?
The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis; grown up spirituality in a deceptively simple short book
Guns Germs Steel, gives an overarching theory of human evolution that is thought provoking and has good explanatory power

Health:
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, reversed decades of medical propaganda (low fat, grain, vegeterian, etc) in my medically trained mind in a few days. Long read; "Why We Get Fat" is an easier read for the less medically inclined.)
The New Atkins for a New You, started me on Low Carb (I am a physician and I now HIGHLY recommend low carb high fat eating)--an excellent how to do it book with a fair amount of theory by highly experienced nutritionists and physician/reserchers
Body By Science by Doug McGuff MD, changed my exercise forever. I now lift heavy weights to failure once each one to two weeks and I'm now, at 62 years old, doing 205 lb pulldowns. Amazing.

Doc Jim

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
James Gleick is solid, I've read Chaos and The Information by him as well.

loraine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »
I once read a book of Robin Sharma - Who will Cry when You Die. It was a real eye-opener. It changed the way I saw life and made me value everything around me even more. Another favorite of mine is To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee.

catmustache

• Stubble
  • I jumped out of a plane once. So there's that.
« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
I think all of the books I'd choose have already been mentioned (The Richest Man in Babylon, The Alchemist, etc.), except maybe for "You Are A Badass" by Jen Sincero. I recently happened on this one at an airport and it's been helpful in spurring me to focus on things that make me happy instead of dwelling on what I think I can't do.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »
Up in the Old Hotel by Joseph Mitchell. Classic pen portraits of somewhat eccentric characters in mid-century New York and elsewhere. To me Mitchell's writings are about observing, listening, and finding wonder in the everyday.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »
The Tightwad Gazette ~ Amy Dacyczyn

This book was my first introduction to frugality -- I grew up in a fairly well off family and had NO CLUE that there was another way to live when we were first married and started having kids. I had it recommended to me by a friend who I really admired. Changed my life! Quit my teaching job (+ dropped out of my 1/2 way completed M. Ed. program) and became a SAHM.

This is mine too. I don't know that I really recommend it to people to pick up. But it did change the trajectory of my life.

I was 17 and watching my Mom's roller-coaster relationship with money. No food, checks bouncing, brief relief and then back again. This showed me that it didn't have to be that way. The idea that I could have control and not be a victim of circumstance. Question everything and find your balance.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
The River and The Source by Margaret Ogola
The Stranger - Albert Camus.
Meja Mwangi - Kill me Quick.

There are books though that I wouldn't describe as life changing but gave me a perspective on different things.

Eiji Yoshikawa's - Musashi, A Heike Story and Taiko
Metamorphosis - Kafka - This one just really strangely resonated and I don't quite know why. It's one I can't shake off.
Ngugi Wa Thiongo' - One of the most prolific authors from my home country who got snubbed for the Nobel prize in literature in favor of Bob Dylan. One of the most influential African authors around. A Kenyan treasure.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:23:40 AM by Rimu05 »

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #216 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »

I've read the first and last book above, both good picks--and realized "The Art of Learning" is by the same Joshua Waitzkin as described in "Searching for Bobby Fischer" (book and later movie). I've always wondered what happened to him!

He generally avoids the internet and all forms of media.  Tim Ferriss is the only person that seems to draw him out of hiding with any sort of regularity.

Yeah, the Ferriss interviews with him are both incredible. I highly recommend them. (Is there a third? If so, I've only listened to the first two)

You can meet him in person if you go to Marcelo Garcia's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym in Manhattan.
I've started training half a year now. Waitzkin has described BJJ as physical chess, and has obtained his black belt after a decade of training. He co-owns the gym. His two passions that I know of (of many, I'm sure) are chess and Brazilian jiu jitsu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »
Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else by Chrystia Freeland.
Freeland is a journalist and former editor of Times-Reuters who cut her teeth in the fall/privatization of the former USSR. The book completely changed my outlook on the global economy and where I fit in it. This should be required reading for all Millennials and anyone trying to give career advice to their kids.

In terms of fiction, I hoard any sci-fi or fantasy story where the main character Takes a Third Option. Ender's "The enemy gate is down" is a great example, anything involving Miles Vorkosigan is great, and I'm sure I'll think of others 20min after I hit "Post".

Edited: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeAThirdOption <<I can't get the href tag to work?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
I have a "Mustache Pack" on my Kindle and in paper. I talk about them often, and give them out to anybody who asks.

Mustache Pack:
A Random Walk Down Wall Street, by Burton Malkiel
Early Retirement Extreme, by Jacob Lund Fisker
Getting Things Done, by David Allen
The Simple Path to Wealth, by JL Collins
Your Money or Your Life, by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez
the MMM blog

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
I see a lot of great titles listed here already. As I put together this list, I noticed most of these "life changer" books entered my life in my late teens/early 20s.

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Most Vonnegut books played a fairly prominent role in my life, none as important as this one though. I've probably re-read it 15 times. I remember my dad noticed I was reading it when I was 16 and he looked bewildered, like he was in a time warp, and told me he also read that book around my age. I once met a person with a tattoo of a quote from this book and I looked at him and said, "is that Vonnegut?" and he looked at me like I was the only person in the world that understood him. Love love love this book. Won't ever get rid of my tattered copy from Half Priced Books that I obtained as a teenager.

The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Another life changer, probably because I read it when I was 19 or so. I'm not a huge Ayn Rand fan now as an adult, but this book will always hold a special place for me, especially when I crack it open and see what content 19-year-old-me underlined... I was a total destroyer of books at that age but I enjoy having insight into my mind at that age.

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
Another one I re-read multiple times, well into my early 20s. It just really struck me at the time. It feels fuzzy in my mind now, having forgotten most of the story. I want to read it again now...

Walden - Henry David Thoreau; Self Reliance - Ralph Waldo Emerson
I smooshed these together because I was reading both of these around the same time and they may be to blame for some of my crazy, f-off into the desert to build an Earthship dreams.

Watership Down - Richard Adams
God I read some heavy shit as a young person... another favorite though, and I watched the movie adaptation many times as well.

You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense - Charles Bukowski
I distinctly remember picking up this book based on the title alone, and I loved it and went on to read a lot of poems from Bukowski. Bukowski was a poet and a self-proclaimed dirty old man, but dang, at that age (early 20s), he GETS ME.

Slanky - Mike Doughty
Soul Coughing was by far my favorite band growing up, so there was no question that I was going to dive into this book of poems by Doughty. I made sure I obtained an original copy of this book at a concert in my 20s and only regret now that I am no longer really enjoying his new music as an adult.

Gunslinger Series - Stephen King
And because apparently I allowed myself to read some "fun" books too, I would throw the Gunslinger series on the list, just because I could get lost for days in these books. I've re-read these books many times, despite  how lengthy they are. I see they are coming out with a movie this year as well so I'm excited to see how they might approach it.

Lenify

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2017, 12:13:17 AM »
The hard thing about hard things by Ben Horowitz

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: April 04, 2017, 12:48:29 AM »
I have a "Mustache Pack" on my Kindle and in paper. I talk about them often, and give them out to anybody who asks.

Mustache Pack:
A Random Walk Down Wall Street, by Burton Malkiel
Early Retirement Extreme, by Jacob Lund Fisker
Getting Things Done, by David Allen
The Simple Path to Wealth, by JL Collins
Your Money or Your Life, by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez

the MMM blog

Hello, solon! Mind sending me copies of the ones in bold text? :)

Stache-O-Lantern

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »

Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
I once met a person with a tattoo of a quote from this book and I looked at him and said, "is that Vonnegut?" and he looked at me like I was the only person in the world that understood him. 

I read this in my early 20's and loved it at the time.  Read it again a few years ago and didn't find it as moving, but I'm still a big Vonnegut fan.  What was the tattoo quote?

Blueskies123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #223 on: April 09, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
I read this in my early 20's and loved it at the time.  Read it again a few years ago and didn't find it as moving, but I'm still a big Vonnegut fan.  What was the tattoo quote?

I find that happens to me with movies all the time. Movies I loved or thought were hilarious when I was young are now just kind of dull or annoying.

The quote was: "Earthlings went on being friendly, when they should have been thinking instead"

Writology

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Writology
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter is a such kind of a book, I guess. I`ve read not as a child but beeing a mother of two daughters. And this story tought me to play the game "Joyfulness". It was the favourite game of a little girl. She taught me one thing: the little one can change the world if she or he believes. She believed. She did a great thing: she had chosen the town, her aunt and many others.

MaxiMaxi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2017, 01:46:03 AM »
Maybe "Four Hour Work Week"by Tim Ferris

hankandtina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2018, 08:15:43 AM »
We recently did some overseas traveling, and I was reminded of a book that profoundly changed my attitude towards, and practice of, travel:  "Let's Go Europe".  I purchased and devoured this gem before I quit my job and went backpacking all over Europe for 3 months back in 1992.  The series was written by Harvard students who were posted to various cities/countries for their summer breaks, got to know intimately their assigned areas, then wrote the guides to those audiences who were interested in youth/budget travel.  One of the gems on packing for a trip (paraphrased):  "After you have packed as lightly as possible, cut it in half and bring more money".  You really do not need to bring a spare set of shoelaces with you.

cloudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »
The subtle art of not giving a fuck by Mark Manson

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
The subtle art of not giving a fuck by Mark Manson
That is a really good one, I’m going to re-read it, thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • infiBudget
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2018, 12:57:39 PM »
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

Yeah, that's a good one. Too bad more people aren't posting about it.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
Has anyone else read Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most? I just started but I'm getting a feeling it might be a life-changer.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
I really enjoyed reading through this entire thread and adding a huge number of the books on it to my Goodreads "to read" shelf!

I picked up The Obstacle is the Way first given the sheer number of recommendations it has in this thread and I'm about two thirds of the way through. It's been really disappointing so far - the author makes really simple points over and over again and really talks down to the reader which I find offputting. But then, even after that, there has been very little that's actually new and non-obvious even when I get past the tone. The historical anecdotes and examples are very cool, but there's so much else to fight through that it seems not worth it.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2018, 01:59:14 PM »
I am surprised that no one has mentioned The Bogleheads Guide to Investing.  This book was a complete game changer for me.  It provides a complete roadmap to FI.  For me, it was also the first time that I understood that successful investing is not outside the layman's reach.  I followed it with the Millionaire Next Door and Random Walk Down Wall Street, both of which are excellent.

Ragdoll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »
Already mentioned: The Tightwad Gazette - Amy Dacyczyn

Also, The Road Less Traveled - M. Scott Peck

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
I haven't gotten all the way through this list yet, sorry if this was mentioned:

Tribe by Sebastian Junger

It is a comparison of Western and tribal cultures and how war and struggle can actually make us happier.  Real perspective changer for me.  Quick read too.

The sheer predictability of life in an American suburb left me hoping - somewhat irresponsibly — for a hurricane or a tornado or something that would require us to all band together to survive. Something that would make us feel like a tribe. What I wanted wasn't destruction and mayhem but the opposite: solidarity. I wanted the chance to prove my worth to my community and my peers, but I lived in a time and a place where nothing dangerous ever really happened. Surely this was new in the human experience, I thought. How do you become an adult in a society that doesn't ask for sacrifice? How do you become a man in a world that doesn't require courage?

Bro-mero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2018, 11:25:38 PM »
One up on Wall Street by Peter Lynch

This book lead me to become real interested in investing. Then I read the Warren Buffett Way. Then I started a degree in Finance (which I'm almost done) and then found out about FIRE and now I'm here with an ultimate life goal and a dream to work towards everyday :)

I had an oddly similar journey! I started reading Peter Lynch, Benjamin Graham, and other investing books my senior year of High School and loved them! Started college a few years ago, got into reading MMM, and will be graduating with a Bachelor's in Finance next month! I start a full-time Financial Analyst position after graduating.

I am excited to start my journey to FI as well!

Kyle B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »

Waitzkin also appears in #210 of the Ferriss podcast, which might be my all-time favorite episode. Waitzkin is great as always, but it's Adam Robinson who's just mind-blowing here:

https://tim.blog/2016/12/20/becoming-the-best-version-of-you/

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2018, 05:19:10 AM »
Early Retirement Extreme - Jacob Lund Fisker
Vagabonding - Rolf Potts

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »
Many of mine have already been mentioned (Your Money or Your Life, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People), but one that recently had a big effect on me was Nudge by Thaler and Susstein. Their argument for "libertarian paternalism" really influenced how I think about choice architecture in my own life and how I view policy decisions.

Sapiens was really good. I don't know if it changed my life but that book will challenge you and really make you think, regardless of your worldview.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2018, 12:44:19 AM »
So many great tips here :)

What really got me started on the MMM-path was "rich dad, poor dad" (not the whole story, I know he's not very reliable and trustworthy when you dive into it, but the part about assets and liabilities was a real eye-opener for me).
Also I couple of Dutch blogs and of course the MMM-blog helped me tremendously in forming my vision and ideas about money & life.

As for fiction: the Harry Potter series have been very important for me during my whole youth. Read the first book when I was 8, last book got published when I was 18. I still read them regularly and I value them very much.

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
What's a good book to read to navigate and deal with office politics?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2018, 09:01:01 AM »
What's a good book to read to navigate and deal with office politics?

I love Ask A Manager's website. I haven't read the book, but have heard good things: https://www.amazon.com/Ask-Manager-Navigate-Colleagues-Lunch-Stealing/dp/0399181814

dylanjohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2018, 09:15:24 PM »
As far as the topic of money books, I'd put Cashflow Quadrant, Early Retirement Extreme, and How to win at the sport of business, up there with Your Money Or Your Life.

dylanjohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2018, 09:21:10 PM »
Many of mine have already been mentioned (Your Money or Your Life, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People), but one that recently had a big effect on me was Nudge by Thaler and Susstein. Their argument for "libertarian paternalism" really influenced how I think about choice architecture in my own life and how I view policy decisions.

Sapiens was really good. I don't know if it changed my life but that book will challenge you and really make you think, regardless of your worldview.

Both books I wish I got into as a teenager!

dylanjohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »
Early Retirement Extreme - Jacob Lund Fisker
Vagabonding - Rolf Potts

Both books I wish I got into as a teenager!

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
Bumping this to keep it going

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »
Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey.

Think of it as a kind of modern Walden. I read it when I was already hooked on the outdoors and minimalism, and it made me want more. I reread it every so often, as it reminds me about the things I value most. Simplicity. Wide open spaces. A few good friends. A cup of strong coffee on a cool morning with a stellar view.

whatupjeffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2018, 10:29:52 PM »
A lot. Besides books, I think reddit and internet articles have really influenced the way I think.