Author Topic: Waterproof Hiking Boots or Shoes  (Read 3229 times)

haflander

• Bristles
Waterproof Hiking Boots or Shoes
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
I saw some old threads regarding this but wanted to bring it into the present and 2019. I have a short walking/biking commute to work that's about 1.5 miles. I usually walk in good weather. The problem is that my route includes a crossing over a small stream with anywhere from 1 to 3 inches of water across about 7 feet. Presumably, the creek will be dry during the summer months. I don't bother crossing (go the long way around) during rainy weather or soon thereafter, as the creek runs even higher.

So...looking for suggestions for boots that will easily withstand a few inches of running water. Ideally, the best mix of price, durability, resilience to water, and comfort. The latter is very important, I'd really like comfy shoes to make it easy and encourage myself to keep up the walking commute habit. Please keep in mind that these boots will also be used for the rest of my walk along urban roads. If it weren't for the stream and the sometimes muddy surrounding area, I'd wear tennis shoes. I need to visit some physical retail places this weekend to figure out my shoe size for hiking boots...I have weird feet and depending on the type and style of shoe, require different sizes.

On top of specific brand and shoe types, how exactly do you buy them to save $? I was thinking ebay but open to alternatives.

TIA and happy friday!

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: Waterproof Hiking Boots or Shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:39 AM »
Shoes can be very individual. Each company has their own mold/last that they use. If that last is similar to your feet, great! If not, they will be miserable to wear.

I've had some good luck with Merrell over the years but recently I've been in love with Salomon. You should be able to find both of those brands in any decent outdoors store. Once you find a model that you like, just look for last year's model on clearance online. If you are prepared to accept a potentially undesirable color, you can find some amazing deals.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »
I highly recommend LL Bean hiking boots.  Made in Italy and are full leather/gore-tex and retailed for ~$245 and I was able to snag them during a 25% off sale.  Been running strong hiking all over California for several years now, no issues with water intrusion when crossing streams in the Sierras near Sequoia or Kings Canyon NPs and excellent grip on both granite and dirt trails.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 04:32:34 PM »
I have a pair of Keen waterproof boots (good for up to 5" depth of water, I'd say) and supposedly warm down to -40F. I've had them for a couple of years now, and have found them very comfortable for fast dog walks of up to four miles.

This is about the closest match I see on the Keen site at the moment. I paid just under $100 for mine, on sale.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DURAND-II-MID-WP.html?dwvar_M-DURAND-II-MID-WP_color=1020218&cgid=mens_footwear_boots

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 01:13:11 AM »
I would buy rubber / silicone overshoes and put them on to cross the stream, or wear them the full way if it was generally ick out... or wear my short rubber boot "shoes" to work and change when I get there.

https://www.marks.com/en/windriver-mens-badlands-waterproof-duck-shoes-101390.html?cid=DRMKT&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvebhBRD5ARIsAIQUmnlvDF7BNzgiXpKuIK-UgFAu1G9WN5jLaDqPbx96EmM8MP7ic5DqGKcaAkMsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#101390%5Bcolor%5D=BROWN&101390%5Bsize%5D=12&101390%5Bwidth%5D=REG&fo_c=1301&fo_k=e039a983a8295ca0c10d72791ac0ebc0&fo_s=gplaca

This is a classic style.  Mine are more like under the ankle rubber boots.

ooh!  ETA:  If it is a short cut, that is on a path, you can bring a few boards and put them over to create a bridge crossing.  Very helpful for more than just you, too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:18:21 AM by Goldielocks »

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
The only truly "waterproof" footwear in the world is rubber boots that don't have any leaks in them.  Fabric treatments like gore tex or whatever else various footwear brands are peddling these days will not keep your feet dry if they are literally submerged or spend much time in water.  I worked all over rural Alaska and know that if you really need to keep dry, you need rubber which is essentially mariner gear.  Xtra Tuff makes a low cut boot these days, but you don't want to wear those for a full day in the office as your feet will sweat a lot. 
However, for you situation, a decent set of hiking boots should suffice.  The modern hikers that are much more comfortable and don't require the months or years of use to feel good like the old school leather boots do would probably be ok.  Be warned, eventually that scotch guard, gore tex or whatever is gonna wear out and your feet will get wet.  I really like Merrill shoes and boots, they have some outlets and can be purchased online, but I don't personally like buying footwear online. 

The idea of a rubber outer liner is also a good and inexpensive idea.  You could slip them on and off quickly and they are cheap.  You'd need a way to store them while not on your feet. 

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
Be aware that waterproof boots are essentially air proof too.  That means they are warmer than non-waterproof boots, which means your feet will sweat in a 'nice' business environment and the sweat can't evaporate.

A couple of years ago I bought some waterproof boots for work, hiking and motorcycle riding.  The ones I got have composite work toes because my work included manufacturing and warehouse.   They are Avenger brand and I got them from Amazon.  I really like the boots, except that they aren't to be worn indoors for long.   The next spring, I bought a pair of ventilated boots.

I strongly disagree with the post above that says gore tex boots aren't really waterproof.  I'm a member of a Sport Touring motorcycle forum.  Some of the other members ride crazy mileage which means riding thru all kinds of weather.  Those guys swear by gore tex, and say the boots stay truly waterproof for many years.

dmmms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
Not necessarily low cost, but I have two pair (brown & black) of Le Canadienne boots that are really waterproof. I shovel snow in them (if I must shovel snow). Just do a google search!

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
I worked outdoors in the Aleutian Islands for a while and by definition that means walking through water.   My Merrill Goretex boots worked great.  My feet never got wet. 

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:25 AM »
I have had great experiences with Miendls and my girlfriend loves her Scarpas. Both are waterproof and comfy.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »
I would wear galoshes, or wear slip-ons and just take them off for the stream crossing, or walk in wet shoes and change them when I got to work.

The whole idea of "waterproof" hiking boots is a farce, in my experience. 

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
I would wear galoshes, or wear slip-ons and just take them off for the stream crossing, or walk in wet shoes and change them when I got to work.

The whole idea of "waterproof" hiking boots is a farce, in my experience.

Same... or if the creek bed isn't too rough, take off your shoes and socks, walk over, shake off your feet, put on your shoes and socks, and walk on. Or wear flip flops for the stream crossings. Or boot covers.

That's what I've settled on after doing lots of hikes in different conditions.  A waterproof boot was too hot and swampy for me, and was only good for walking in melty snow or very shallow water... if the water is as deep as the shoe, or splashes, you have wet, waterproof boots, which are very difficult to dry out.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 01:51:29 PM »
Fabric treatments like gore tex or whatever else various footwear brands are peddling these days will not keep your feet dry if they are literally submerged or spend much time in water.
Be warned, eventually that scotch guard, gore tex or whatever is gonna wear out and your feet will get wet. 

Just to clarify, Gore-Tex isn't a fabric treatment. It physically is the material. It has a specific micro-structure big enough to let water vapor molecules (sweat) pass through and small enough to block liquid water molecules (in or out).

During the monsoons I bike wearing thick smartwool socks and running shoes with Gore-Tex. The only water that gets to my feet is from the droplets running down my leg (thus the thick socks, it doesn't soak down past my ankles).
My Merrell Gore-Tex hiking boots were great, until the Merrell sole cracked.

Be sure to get actual Gore-Tex, though. I had 2 different REI locations try to sell me "Gore-Tex" shoes when they were the Merrell knock-off material (Merrell makes some shoes with Gore-Tex and others with their version). Eventually they got to "Well, it's not actual Gore-Tex but it's pretty much the same thing." No, no it is not. If it's Gore-Tex there will be a Gore tag on the physical item.

Ice_Beard is right in that nothing will be waterproof unless you have some sort of gasket around your ankle or full-body suit. Water will come in from the top of any shoe.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:00:21 PM »
I just wanted to post an update about my LL Bean hiking boots: after 3 days and almost 50 miles of snowshoeing, my feet were still completely dry at the end of each day.  I was also wearing GoreTex pants, but the snow was pretty deep in many places along the trails and my shoes were often completely covered in snow.  Good gear is nice to have...