Author Topic: Washer and dryer question  (Read 3245 times)

jedichikin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Washer and dryer question
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »
Our 5 year old Samsung washer is coding out, and apparently literally tearing itself apart due to unbalanced loads. Anyone purchase a Speed Queen washer lately (2018)? I am reading review online that say this beloved company redesigned a winning propduct and there are tons of complaints on clothes not coming out clean. Just curious if anyone here has purchased one lately? Thanks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Washer and dryer question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 07:15:15 AM »
If you put "Speed Queen" in your subject line, you may get better results.   

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
My good friend bought all new Samsung appliances a few years ago. We recently had lunch and he told me that almost all of them are failing. None of them were cheap! I mentioned that every Samsung phone I'd ever had (starting with Galaxy S3 to current) had failed prematurely.

However...even if they are glitchy...chances are very good someone in YouTube land has figured out a fix. It might be a good time to practice some DIY skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsvye6sfO88

I've been able to repair almost everything in our kitchen, laundry room and the garage door opener from videos like this. Most appliance repairs are fairly simple. Even re-soldering control boards can be simple when someone shows you exactly what to do (as in aforementioned garage door opener).

It SUCKS to have expensive appliances failing after such a short time (and of course, right after the warranty expires) but (sometimes) you can save them from the scrap heap.

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
I've also fixed appliances with youtube videos.  I had good luck with some (washing machine and dryer) and less luck with others (dishwasher and freezer).  I found that the hardest part is diagnosing the problem.  Actually replacing the parts has been very doable, even when it required completely taking apart the front-loading washing machine.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Avoid samsung like the plague.  I have a house full of em and every single one has died in the past 5 years

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 06:13:44 AM »
Samsung appliances are by magazines often judged as "best in test" in matters of functionality versus price. Of course those tests don't measure the product life time.
We have a Samsung dishwasher that the previous owner bought, perhaps 8 years ago when the house was built. It is still working. We have a Samsung fridge, 3 years old, working fine. I am not sure about the washing machine and dryer. Could be Samsung or Miele. They still work.
My Samsung phone is now 4 years old. It had some repairs, like that Wifi just stopped working one day. And my memory card had to be rebooted. It also had a sound problem once. Both were repaired for free as a guarantee case.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:26:12 AM by Linda_Norway »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
I bought a Speed Queen mechanical washer 2 years ago on the recommendation of every appliance repair person I knew. My 18 year old GE washer had stopped working and would have cost hundreds to repair. I spent $800 on the Speed Queen. It had an initial glitch that was fixed with no cost to me, then it ran great for two years. Recently, however, I am hearing what seems to be a new noise occasionally when it spins. If it continues, I will have the appliance person out to look at it. I did not get a dryer to “match”, because that is unimportant to me, so I am using a 20 year old GE electric dryer. Apparently, dryers, being much less complicated, tend to last far longer than washers.

I like the Speed Queen. It’s very much like the washers I grew up with. It’s top loading, with no bells and whistles. If it needs repairing, I will fix rather than replace.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
Do a search for Speed Queen and you'll have your answer. Though be advised you'll want to find last year's model due to elimination of their conventional transmission; they're now terrible performers. I suspect some may be out there, but demand has been high because of this.

isaakthepirate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Highly recommend the base Maytag washer. Built like a tank, really easy and cheap parts. About as reliable as a SpeedQueen. I have both, and Maytag has been equally reliable.