Author Topic: Vitamix blender?  (Read 51480 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Vitamix blender?
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2017, 05:53:13 AM »
Audiophiles don't belong on a frugality forum.

It's interesting because I don't think of this as a frugality forum (MMM seems to be quite different than something like ERE to me).

I think of it as a forum where people can discuss how people can discuss (1) how use money is a tool (2) that there is such a thing as enough money and (3) how to mindfully use money to try to optimize quality of life / happiness. You can only optimize for one thing at a time (i.e. you have to pick between consumerism vs. frugality vs. happiness).

That's kind of what I get from reading MMM and listening to interviews like the one he did with Tim Ferriss.

For example: I pay $3 / month for my cell phone bill. Someone who follows MMM's advice and gets Google FI will spend at least $200 / year more than I do (even if they're like me and don't use cell data). That's in perpetuity. If they use their phone more than I do (or if someone uses a data plan), I think that's OK if they are doing it while thinking about how that fits into their financial plans. I think it's not OK if they are spending that kind of money without thinking about it because everyone else is doing it.

Aside: I also think that equating "wasting" $200 - $300 dollars on a blender (if someone uses it a lot) to "wasting" thousands to tens of thousands of dollars on extravagant cars is a false equivalency (provide someone already has achieved a certain amount of net worth).

You might want to go reread a few of his posts. 

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
so far it looks like we have one vitamix user who doesn't use theirs a lot, one guy who is trying to justify owning two expensive bikes because you know, salt, and he rides them a lot and you probably don't, and you know he got them used, and also a bunch of "I've never used one but they suck" vitamix haters.

And then the people who own them and use them (some of us almost daily for over a decade).

Do those who consider the vitamix an ungodly extravagance have bedframes, when a floor will hold a mattress up perfectly well?  Dressers, when you can just fold clothes nicely and pile them around your room?  A regular blender when you can smash stuff between two rocks perfectly well (and get a workout too!)?

Comparing the vitamix to a tempermental status symbol like a lambo is laughable.  It's a completely stripped down no frills appliance/tool.  Not tempermental at all... many of us use them daily for years on jobs your oster would "let the smoke out" doing once.  It's not diamond encrusted.  It's not painted with sparkly paint.

For the cyclists in the thread, is there no value in ultegra over sora?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
Do those who consider the vitamix an ungodly extravagance have bedframes, when a floor will hold a mattress up perfectly well?  Dressers, when you can just fold clothes nicely and pile them around your room? 

I actually do sleep on a mattress on the floor . . . bedframes are stupid.

There's some utility to having dressers, simply because floorspace is often at a premium and dressers allow you to stack things vertically . . . but I'm not against some sort of shelving (or even neat stacks of boxes) in place of dressers.

A regular blender when you can smash stuff between two rocks perfectly well (and get a workout too!)?

You make a valid point.  Are there any hand operated blenders for sale?

For the cyclists in the thread, is there no value in ultegra over sora?

High quality cycling stuff is cool . . . but for the vast majority of people though it's very much overkill to have.  (In many cases the high end stuff may even be worse.  For example, I'd take some bar end or stem shifters over STI stuff if long term durability and easy maintenance is your goal.)

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
Audiophiles don't belong on a frugality forum.

It's interesting because I don't think of this as a frugality forum (MMM seems to be quite different than something like ERE to me).

I think of it as a forum where people can discuss how people can discuss (1) how use money is a tool (2) that there is such a thing as enough money and (3) how to mindfully use money to try to optimize quality of life / happiness. You can only optimize for one thing at a time (i.e. you have to pick between consumerism vs. frugality vs. happiness).

That's kind of what I get from reading MMM and listening to interviews like the one he did with Tim Ferriss.

For example: I pay $3 / month for my cell phone bill. Someone who follows MMM's advice and gets Google FI will spend at least $200 / year more than I do (even if they're like me and don't use cell data). That's in perpetuity. If they use their phone more than I do (or if someone uses a data plan), I think that's OK if they are doing it while thinking about how that fits into their financial plans. I think it's not OK if they are spending that kind of money without thinking about it because everyone else is doing it.

Aside: I also think that equating "wasting" $200 - $300 dollars on a blender (if someone uses it a lot) to "wasting" thousands to tens of thousands of dollars on extravagant cars is a false equivalency (provide someone already has achieved a certain amount of net worth).

You might want to go reread a few of his posts.

I think frugality is part of it because most people spend way more than they need to.

But there are several of his posts (like promotion of Google FI and Republic Wireless before that) that are clearly not about maximizing frugality. I haven't seen a post here "face punching" people that ask about FI or Republic Wireless despite the fact that doing so "wastes" hundreds of dollars per year per phone vs. a simple pay as you go, never use data solution. Hell, even my $3/month solution has me "wasting" almost $40/year. Both of these choices will ultimately cost more than one blender (even a very expensive one).

I would also point you to this article: Getting Started in Carpentry – Tools of the Trade
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/11/getting-started-in-carpentry-tools-of-the-trade/

A person who is “cheap” will focus only on price when making purchases, including tools . I’ve never been cheap (believe it or not), so I try to buy tools that give me a maximum level of usefulness (work quality and speed) and longevity, while still weighing these factors against the cost.

This equation also needs to take into account the frequency and value of the work you’ll be doing with the tools. I’m a casual professional, so my tools need to help me produce somewhere between $5k and $100k of value per year depending on what projects are going on. Even at the lower end of that range, dropping from a $100 saw down to a $50 one that is noticeably crappier is a bad idea, because every cut I make will be less straight, and I’ll waste time trying to make up for the bad cuts with other adjustments.  More importantly, my quality will go down, and a lot of the fun in carpentry for me comes from producing the best quality stuff I can possibly make in a given amount of time.

But it is also possible to go overboard in this department. Boutique toolmakers exist in every category, daring you to upgrade from the $500 table saw that I use, to the $3,600 one. What I’ve found from using both types of equipment is that the returns at the higher end are rapidly diminishing, at my level of work anyway...

In other words, my tools are a mixture of Dewalt, Ridgid, Hilti, Milwaukee, Makita, but not too much Black and Decker or Ryobi these days.

In this article he's talking about tools (in this case for construction instead of for cooking).

From reading the articles, it seems like MMM is happy spending more money for products that optimize his happiness (and not minimize his spending). It's worth noting that he also recognizes that super high end stuff probably isn't where he wants to buy. It sounds to me like people talking about purchasing a Vitamix here have gone through a similar decision making process.

I personally haven't used a real blender for over a decade. I prefer to eat my veggies as veggies and not in liquid form. For me, a Vitamix would be a waste of money. For others...who knows.

I do know that I went through a bunch of stick blenders that were cheap and broke in months (motor and blades were fine but the couplings between them were all terrible). Eventually, I just modified one so I can stick it on my drill. But if I buy another stick blender, I will probably be inclined to buy a high quality one that will last.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
 I am not saying it's a huge extravagance that should be avoided. Not at all. I had to comment though because this is the second thread I saw about vita mix within 24 hours, on this site, and two days ago I never even heard of it.   It just seems like some people are making consumer decisions based on the popularity of an item in certain social circle. It's just a social observation I making.

And I've noticed it before with talks of expensive bikes, as if no one else outside of this forum rides bikes, so they wouldn't understand the value and necessity of riding a bike that costs several thousand dollars. When I know for a fact, because I know some of them, there are people happily riding bikes daily with no problem, which don't  cost nearly that much. But for some reason in this particular setting (which not coincidently, IMO, has a strong reverence towards bikes...almost idolizing) it seems to be a popular outlier of spending more than necessary on a consumer good, while still being  a mustachian decision.  I am not saying don't buy the things you value. But don't pretend they are way more than what they are. A decision to overlook perfectly good options, because you want the best. Or what you perceive to be the best.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
I think the bike love around here comes from the fact that many people have learned to replace a car (very expensive) with a bike (significantly cheaper) in their lives.  People need to move around, cycling is a way to do this for less money.  The same kind of argument goes for the tools that MMM was talking about . . . he's making money with the tools, so paying more for them might make sense because it allows him to do more quicker.

There isn't really a direct comparison when you're talking about a blender.  Quality of blending won't save you money.  People don't need to blend things daily to make their way in the world.  A blender isn't replacing something that costs much more money that you would otherwise have to pay.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
It's a kitchen appliance, not a work of art.  If it mechanically performs the job it was designed to do, then it passes as functional.  I assure you my blender blends justnearly as well as yours does.
I've used both and know that the Oysters and similar blenders that can be had at thrift stores do not blend "just as well" as a Vitamix. The difference is not tremendous, but it is there. Vitamix blends just a little soother in a bit less time - but I agree that if that was the only difference it wouldn't be worth spending so much more.

Of all the weird things people can decide to turn into consumer status symbols, why blenders?  I just don't get it.  It's a simple little device, just an electric motor and a pitcher with a lid.  There is absolutely no reason it should cost more than an air conditioner, or an alternator, or an air compressor, or a table saw.  It's patently ridiculous right on the face of it, and I'm amazed that anyone would defend it as a "good value" for what it is.  And yet here we are, in a thread FULL of people who apparently also drive luxury cars and only fly first class.
Very good points about the complexity and materials of a blender (though sol does straw man the complexity a little - the pitcher and blade are engineered so that materials ciculate effecively to efficiently blend all the contents). This is the only post by sol in this thread that I think adds any value to the conversation. I wonder how the cost comparison with this list of items would go if one restricts the search to only items made in 1st world contries.

I used the ninja, burnt it out in about 15 months, tried many (3-4 all exchanged on warranty) $200 blenders.  We had failures with all of them.

We bought a vitamix($600 here at Costco) 4 years agon, and it is going stron.  We use ours for soup, nut butters, smoothies, chopping stuff for salsa(yes it can process in larger chinks too). making apple sauce, making flour, and many other things.  It is the only blender that we have found that will stand up to all of this over a period of time.

I went from cheap blenders are not adequate to a high-end blender. Maybe I overspent on a Vitamix when a Ninja was the right level tool for my usage. I'd love to hear more from people who tried the mid-range blenders (both those who are 100% satisfied and those who determined that they were not good enough). Certainly sounds like a high-end blender is worth the cost for dycker1978.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
I think the bike love around here comes from the fact that many people have learned to replace a car (very expensive) with a bike (significantly cheaper) in their lives.  People need to move around, cycling is a way to do this for less money.  The same kind of argument goes for the tools that MMM was talking about . . . he's making money with the tools, so paying more for them might make sense because it allows him to do more quicker.

There isn't really a direct comparison when you're talking about a blender.  Quality of blending won't save you money.  People don't need to blend things daily to make their way in the world.  A blender isn't replacing something that costs much more money that you would otherwise have to pay.

See, in my case, I started blowing out blenders shortly after finding MMM. I was working long hours, exhausted, and broke the fast food cycle by replacing fast food with smoothies. Saving lots of money, even with blowing out blenders. And, at the time, the thrift stores I could walk/bus to didn't have the super-awesome deals that Sol's thrift store had, so I was spending more per blender. Upthread, I calculated that I was spending $50/year on blenders in a mix of buying new and being gifted hand me downs. But before I started replacing fast food with smoothies, I probably spent $100-200 on takeout per week

If I hadn't been gifted a vitamix I would have bought one of the high end blenders available. I don't know which one, because I hadn't finished my research when I was given the vitamix.

Similarly, I've been researching appliances like microwaves and toaster ovens. I've been considering these things for the past year. I'm not rushing into a decision, but I do think they might save me money.

I don't think someone with no blender experience should buy a vitamix just because they are super fancy - I know lots of people who blend occaisionally or often and are happy with other brands. But I stand by my statement that if you have a history of blowing out blenders, you should research your options for high end blenders. And, that in my experience, the vitamix quality is good, but their customer service was awful. For any high end purchase consider something like buying at costco, where they have good customer service and will take your expensive appliance back if necessary.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
Have you considered . . . . trying food that needs to be chewed?  I mean, I don't know your personal situation (maybe you have no teeth?), but this is a valid option for many.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »
Have you considered . . . . trying food that needs to be chewed?  I mean, I don't know your personal situation (maybe you have no teeth?), but this is a valid option for many.
I am currently considering giving up and not posting anything else in this thread. I have no idea why this particular thread is the subject of such intense aversion to open mindedness...but I definitely remember why, when I was a new forum member, I was quickly scared off (fond memories of the time people assured me that they could in no way believe that I have ever worn through a pair of shoes).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:26 AM »

I chew my food six days a week, but on the seventh day I rest.  And blend Costco frozen fruit with yogurt and honey.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »

LOL!!!  I thought about going there, but I didn't want it to sound like I was downing people's lifestyle decisions. I just find the whole blending juicing smoothie craze to be a little overboard these days. It's onboard with coffee status now. I remember when kale juicing was a thing and people were out getting expensive single-function juicers (before we found out concentrated kale exacerbates thyroid issues, oops). I actually know someone who has just been eating mostly liquid diets for a few months now and blends 3x per day minimum...so yeah I can see how that would low out a blender.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »

See, in my case, I started blowing out blenders shortly after finding MMM. I was working long hours, exhausted, and broke the fast food cycle by replacing fast food with smoothies. Saving lots of money, even with blowing out blenders. And, at the time, the thrift stores I could walk/bus to didn't have the super-awesome deals that Sol's thrift store had, so I was spending more per blender. Upthread, I calculated that I was spending $50/year on blenders in a mix of buying new and being gifted hand me downs. But before I started replacing fast food with smoothies, I probably spent $100-200 on takeout per week

If I hadn't been gifted a vitamix I would have bought one of the high end blenders available. I don't know which one, because I hadn't finished my research when I was given the vitamix.

Similarly, I've been researching appliances like microwaves and toaster ovens. I've been considering these things for the past year. I'm not rushing into a decision, but I do think they might save me money.

I don't think someone with no blender experience should buy a vitamix just because they are super fancy - I know lots of people who blend occaisionally or often and are happy with other brands. But I stand by my statement that if you have a history of blowing out blenders, you should research your options for high end blenders. And, that in my experience, the vitamix quality is good, but their customer service was awful. For any high end purchase consider something like buying at costco, where they have good customer service and will take your expensive appliance back if necessary.

It's just that you jumped from regularly eating junk food to regularly eating smoothies.  I'm sure that your diet has improved . . . and kudos for that!  It's a little weird to me that you appear to be blending all of your food now and I was wondering what the reasoning is.

FWIW - If you absolutely need to blend your food all the time for some reason, then I could totally see owning a top of the line commercial quality blender as a legitimate purchase.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:55:02 AM by GuitarStv »

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »

I chew my food six days a week, but on the seventh day I rest.  And blend Costco frozen fruit with yogurt and honey.

Now intermittent fasting is something I can get behind! Saves you money, and no expensive tools needed. I kid, I kid. I just think all face punches should be equal. It doesn't diminish your decision to do something, it's just being honest about about why you ultimately made that decision. No disrespect intended to anyone in this thread. I have had, and continue to have my ideas and actions challenged here. And even if I am too stubborn to publicly acknowledge when I take the criticism to heart, sometimes I do learn from it and apply it.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »

I think that this is a pretty bad way to get your point across.

It may be possible that a blender isn't the right solution for you or for me. But I don't understand what you gain by attacking someone because having this thing has helped make their life quantifiable better.

Especially because it was a gift.  Even if you feel like the enticement to frugality gives you the moral high ground in most cases, the cost to them was $0.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »

Well, my spouse had cancer and couldn't tolerate chewing or processing food. Feel better now?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »

Yeah, but a $400 bike will get you around just as well as an $800 one.  Why you gotta get the consuma sucka bike?  And not just one!  You have to get a second bike at $400 to protect your 'good' bike from the winter!!  There's no reason to have an $800 bike in the first place, just get the $400 one and ride it year round.  You still get rid of the need for a  car and are way more frugal!

Or if you really want ultra frugal, don't buy a bike at all, just walk. 

In fact, if you want to be ultra frugal, don't have any hobbies, don't ever go any where, don't do anything and spend nothing.  There, savings can't get any better than that!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:55:18 PM by tyort1 »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
In fact, if you want to be ultra frugal, don't have any hobbies

Are you seriously suggesting that "blending" is a hobby?

I think the forum has gotten WAY of base when people start saying things like "well, if you already have the money, it's fine to buy stupidly overpriced consumer crap."  The whole point here is to learn to spend your resources efficiently, not justify extravagance for its own sake.  It doesn't matter how much money you have, MMM teaches frugality as a virtue in itself, not just as a means to getting rich.

Unfortunately, we're slowly drifting into the usual and ubiquitous blog role of endorsing consumer goods to each other to justify lifestyle inflation and keeping up with the Joneses, which is not what this place used to be about.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:20 PM »

Yeah, but a $400 bike will get you around just as well as an $800 one.  Why you gotta get the consuma sucka bike?  And not just one!  You have to get a second bike at $400 to protect your 'good' bike from the winter!!  There's no reason to have an $800 bike in the first place, just get the $400 one and ride it year round.  You still get rid of the need for a  car and are way more frugal!

Yep.  It's possible to do everything with one single bike . . . and I'm fully aware that having two is a big indulgence on my part.

There's no issue with people doing the occasionally silly thing with money because it makes them happy.  I have an issue with people pretending that what they're doing isn't a tad silly to begin with.  While there are some with medical conditions that require it . . .  there are some people who seem to have the ability to chew food but have become dependent on blenders anyway, seeing them as the only way they can eat healthy foods.  You have to admit that's a little weird.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »
No more weird than riding a bike instead of using your 2 good legs to walk or run where you need to go. 

So you agree you have a facepunch worthy indulgence with your bikes, but others aren't allowed the same thing with non-bikes?

And this is also why I said earlier - "As long as one is debt free (except mortgage) and saving at a high rate (I'm at 49%), then you should just buy what you like."

I hate leafy greens and I have a heart condition.  Green smoothies are the only way I can get myself to eat leafy greens.  That's a fact.  So I do smoothies.  I've had several blenders, they were all sh!t (for various reasons).  The vitamix is the only one that works well.  Add to that the ability to do nut butters (saving me $7 per jar of almond butter), and that I only paid $250 not the $600 that's been bandied about around here, and no I don't feel like it was a bad purchase at all.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »
In fact, if you want to be ultra frugal, don't have any hobbies

Are you seriously suggesting that "blending" is a hobby?

sol are you not into competitive blending?  is like competitive vaping but with more horsepower and the guys all wear socks with sandals.  A man has not lived until he has fired up a 1500hp, 8 gallon capacity, dual clutch-nitrous fueled bad boy.  The exhaust kind of ruins the juice but that is not the point!

(excluding medical stuff) Yeah like do whatever you want but just own it; if you want to spend an extra 200$ to get  3% more smooth juice and 'a better blending experience' <snicker> just own it and admit it is a silly extravagance.

tyort1: You are using your blender as a juicer?  There are dedicated (cheap) products for that - sunk costs and all that but why not use a juicer?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:43:47 PM by AlanStache »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »
To be clear, the vitamix is not a necessity, it's a 'nice to have'.  I don't think anyone ever said any different. 

I just get a little prickly when people call it out as ridiculous, when they own $800 bikes!  Or more than one bike!  Or whatever. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:53 PM »
So you agree you have a facepunch worthy indulgence with your bikes, but others aren't allowed the same thing with non-bikes?

Quite the contrary, punch away.  I've acknowledged and agreed that there's no real need to own two bikes, and agree that it's kinda silly.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
I have not read this thread so please do not flame me.

If you want to buy a Vitamix, go to their website and buy a refurbished base model.  It will last a lifetime.

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard-Programs

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
I think the forum has gotten WAY of base when people start saying things like "well, if you already have the money, it's fine to buy stupidly overpriced consumer crap."

I agree but, hasn't there always been a contingent of posters sprouting the "i'm not in debt and have the money so it's ok that I have 3 classic muscle cars because I value the hobby" line?

Is it really worse now than previously?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Vitamix blender?
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
Edited for toddler stealing my phone and posting.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:31:56 AM by Papa bear »

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
Why don't people on this site understand that not everything is a "rip off" when it is at a price point that is higher than what they are comfortable with?

Some of the comments here are one step away from "you should just find a shallow dip in the concrete, grab an adjacent rock, and start grinding! Don't be so lazy"

With any purchase, sit on the idea about whether or not this will be of use to you or will it be one of those gadgets that sits next to the bread maker and ice cream maker. 

If you get use out of it and it works well, then purchase it.

After using an average priced hair dryer recently at a nice hotel, I only want to commend my wife for purchasing her Dyson hair dryer.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
Why don't people on this site understand that not everything is a "rip off" when it is at a price point that is higher than what they are comfortable with?

My objection isn't that the price point is too high for my comfort zone.  I buy lots of things that cost too much for me to be comfortable with.

My objection is that the price point is objectively too high for what it is.  Look at the cost of the raw materials, the engineering, the manufacturing, the packaging, the warranty.  Compare it to other similar items.  It just doesn't make sense for a blender to cost $1,000.  Ever. 

It's plastic and metal and a motor and some buttons.  It doesn't levitate.  It doesn't open a time portal.  It should not cost more than a vacuum cleaner, or any other household appliance of similar size and complexity.  You're overpaying for the luxury name plate.  Other blenders are just as good, at a fraction of the cost.

Don't believe me?  That $1000 blender I linked above is 2.25 hp and 48 ounces.  This Cuisinart is 2.25 hp and 60 ounces.  It's arguable a better blender, and it literally costs 14% as much as the Vitamix.  $140 is still a lot of money for a kitchen appliance, but at least it's in the realm of appropriate retail costs for small motorized household items.

But now my wife is making fun of me for the amount of time I have devoted to this thread.  She says I'm never going to convince stupid people not to buy stupid things, and I should just let it go.

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

My objection isn't that the price point is too high for my comfort zone.  I buy lots of things that cost too much for me to be comfortable with.

My objection is that the price point is objectively too high for what it is.  Look at the cost of the raw materials, the engineering, the manufacturing, the packaging, the warranty.  Compare it to other similar items.  It just doesn't make sense for a blender to cost $1,000.  Ever. 

It's plastic and metal and a motor and some buttons.  It doesn't levitate.  It doesn't open a time portal.  It should not cost more than a vacuum cleaner, or any other household appliance of similar size and complexity.  You're overpaying for the luxury name plate.  Other blenders are just as good, at a fraction of the cost.

Don't believe me?  That $1000 blender I linked above is 2.25 hp and 48 ounces.  This Cuisinart is 2.25 hp and 60 ounces.  It's arguable a better blender, and it literally costs 14% as much as the Vitamix.  $140 is still a lot of money for a kitchen appliance, but at least it's in the realm of appropriate retail costs for small motorized household items.

But now my wife is making fun of me for the amount of time I have devoted to this thread.  She says I'm never going to convince stupid people not to buy stupid things, and I should just let it go.
Bro that's a $300 blender on Amazon...

You literally went to one of those weird "online stores" that overprices everything to pick your blender.

Now you've pretty much lost all credibility.

I'm happy to engage in discussion, but when the other party refuses to acknowledge reality it's pretty tough to go back and forth.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »

I like how you continually ignore my posts showing how to get a vitamix for $279.  That's worth it, IMO.  You disagree, that's fine.  I'm done with arguing, too.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »

I like how you continually ignore my posts showing how to get a vitamix for $279.  That's worth it, IMO.  You disagree, that's fine.  I'm done with arguing, too.

A blender will never be worth $1,000.  But it can definitely be worth $280.

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard-Programs

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
I do know that I went through a bunch of stick blenders that were cheap and broke in months (motor and blades were fine but the couplings between them were all terrible). Eventually, I just modified one so I can stick it on my drill. But if I buy another stick blender, I will probably be inclined to buy a high quality one that will last.

So...reading this thread got me thinking about immersion blenders. Bamix blenders apparently have metal construction (including the coupling that we've had fail on multiple products). Unfortunately they usually cost between $100-$200, which is more than I'm willing to pay.

I recently found on Williams-Sonoma's website that they have the base model (no attachments, just a blender = all I want) for $80 (from $100). If you use the promo code "JULY", you then get an additional 20% off = $60. Tax brought it to just under $65 (about half what I'd pay on Amazon for the blender + attachments I'll never use).

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/bamix-classic-immersion-blender/?pkey=e%7Cbamix%7C5%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

If you go through Chase's shopping portal, you get an extra 2% back in UR points.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:21:13 PM by NorthernBlitz »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Bro that's a $300 blender on Amazon...

No, it's a $140 blender if you get the 2.5 hp version that is equivalent to the vitamix.  The $300 one is better than the $600 vitamix.  That's a retail price ($140) that is half the cost of the "refurbished" vitamix ($280).

You literally went to one of those weird "online stores" that overprices everything to pick your blender.

I'm sure you're aware that most of the vitamix blenders retail for around $600, depending on options.  The difference between a $600 blender and an $800 blender and a $1000 blender is basically irrelevant to me, because they are all approximately 500% too expensive.  Are you saying that a $1,000 vitamix is stupidly overpriced, but a $600 one is not?

Now you've pretty much lost all credibility.

Wait, I had credibility to begin with?

Blenders are simple mechanical devices, and their price should be comparable to other simple mechanical devices.  Even if you're only overpaying by 100% (like the $280 refurb vitamix vs the $140 cuisinart), that's still the equivalent of buying a used $60k BMW instead of a new $30k Accord.  They are basically equivalent cars in terms of mechanical parts, but one of them commands a premium price because of the nameplate.  Some people like overpaying for nameplates.  It seems lots of those people are in this thread.

I'm happy to engage in discussion, but when the other party refuses to acknowledge reality it's pretty tough to go back and forth.

Funny, I was having the exact same thought.  First I was told the vitamix was worth the premium price because it blends better.  Then I was told it was fine for mustachians to waste money on luxury goods.  Then I was told the vitamix doesn't really cost $600, it only costs $280, and yet no one is willing to recognize that the cost for a used regular blender is typically under $10 so the price/value ratio on a used vitamix is even more ridiculous than the price on a new one.

Look, I get it.  Lots of you have fancy expensive blenders and you're very proud of them.  They are status symbols, little beacons of your moral superiority that shine from your kitchen countertops like a bat-signal.  That's fine, you are allowed to try convince other people that your decision was a good one and that other people should aspire to be like you.  I am free to make fun of $600 blenders, even if you overpaid for a used one, and try to convince other people that your decision was a bad one and that they should not waste their money on such things.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:23:54 PM by sol »

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
Sol... I'm not currently blender researching, but I bet it would be a huge help to people who ARE researching if you made a little list of high performance/low cost blenders.

Like how this forum has a couple of cars (I think...I don't really get cars) that are known to be awesome options for car people. You could be the one jumping in all the blender threads saying that
1) you personally have had great success and a low cost/year with thrift store blenders
And
2) you think vitamix/bkendtec/ninja are overpriced
And
3) for people with a history of burning out blenders, these are a couple of blenders with similar specs to the other ones

I would have loved that info when I was researching!

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2017, 04:33:20 PM »
This is what is disturbing about this forum.

There are LOONS on here that criticize you if you buy anything.

Buy a mattress?  Why couldn't you sleep on the floor?
Buy a blanket?  Why couldn't you cover yourself with leaves and grass clippings?
Buy a blender?  Why couldn't you use a stone and the ground?
Buy shoes?  Why couldn't you walk bare footed?
Pay for food?  Why couldn't you go to the public park and eat grass?
Go to a dentist?  Why couldn't you perform the same service for yourself? (There is one loon on this thread that advocated for that.  Gee, I wonder who is that lunatic?).

The virtue signalling is disgusting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:58:47 PM by retiringearly »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »

I don't criticize people for buying things.  I criticize people's bad decisions when they overpay for things.  See the difference?

Problem:  I want lunch. 
Solution 1:  eat the lunch you made at home this morning.  Comment:  very mustachian.
Solution 2:  Spend $125 on caviar and champagne for lunch.  Comment:  you probably could have done that cheaper...

Go to a dentist?  Why couldn't you perform the same service for yourself? (There is one loon on this thread that advocated for that.  Gee, I wonder who is that lunatic?).

Was it me?  I don't think I've mentioned dentists yet, but that sounds like a good line.  What should I have said, hypothetically?

Is it more or less disgusting than the conspicuous consumption of a bunch of people patting each other on the back for their $600 blenders?

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »

I don't criticize people for buying things.  I criticize people's bad decisions when they overpay for things.  See the difference?

Problem:  I want lunch. 
Solution 1:  eat the lunch you made at home this morning.  Comment:  very mustachian.
Solution 2:  Spend $125 on caviar and champagne for lunch.  Comment:  you probably could have done that cheaper...

Was it me?  I don't think I've mentioned dentists yet, but that sounds like a good line.  What should I have said, hypothetically?

Bingo!  It was you.  You said people should not go to a dentist to have their teeth cleaned, you said you can buy the tools and do it yourself.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:02 AM »
Blenders are simple mechanical devices, and their price should be comparable to other simple mechanical devices.  Even if you're only overpaying by 100% (like the $280 refurb vitamix vs the $140 cuisinart), that's still the equivalent of buying a used $60k BMW instead of a new $30k Accord.  They are basically equivalent cars in terms of mechanical parts, but one of them commands a premium price because of the nameplate.  Some people like overpaying for nameplates.  It seems lots of those people are in this thread.

At least we're making progress on your flawed analysis.  You aren't calling it a Lambo or suggesting it's "diamond encrusted" now.  The vitamix is in fact pretty simple/industrial/unblingy.

To know whether a cuisinart is cheaper than the vitamix over the long haul, the question really would be about the reliability of the cuisinart vs the vitamix.  Seeing as there are people in this thread who use theirs 5+ times a week for a decade or more, I guess we'll have to wait a while to know.  There's also the fact that vitamix has changed very little in its product run, which means that spare/replacement parts are ubiquitous (yes, it's possible to use a blender so much that you wear the blade out!).  Will you be able to easily buy a replacement blade for the cuisinart in 8 years?  who knows.

I think you are right in the sense that a very high power electric motor isn't really rocket science and someone else should be able to do it.  But to suggest that the parts themselves are cheap remains to be seen because it doesn't seem like there really are any "we're building the same product at half the price" companies out there. 

We all get by now that you really don't like the concept of blending stuff period, and because you see no value in the practice, you see no value in the tool beyond a cheap pos to gather dust in the cupboard (apologies in advance if you do not value cabinets.... these may be stacked on cinderblock shelves at your place).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:28 AM »
Bingo!  It was you.  You said people should not go to a dentist to have their teeth cleaned, you said you can buy the tools and do it yourself.

Citation needed.  Or were you speaking metaphorically?

We all get by now that you really don't like the concept of blending stuff period,

Well that's just not true.  I blend regularly.  My family does smoothies for multiple people one night a week as part of our regular meal rotation. 

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »

To know whether a cuisinart is cheaper than the vitamix over the long haul, the question really would be about the reliability of the cuisinart vs the vitamix.  Seeing as there are people in this thread who use theirs 5+ times a week for a decade or more, I guess we'll have to wait a while to know.  There's also the fact that vitamix has changed very little in its product run, which means that spare/replacement parts are ubiquitous (yes, it's possible to use a blender so much that you wear the blade out!).  Will you be able to easily buy a replacement blade for the cuisinart in 8 years?  who knows.

I don't have a cuisinart blender, but I do have a cuisinart food processor that I use as a blender (as well as a food processor).  I  have owned it for just over 10 years and I use it multiple times per week (probably not 5+, but at least 3x and often more).  It is still going strong.  The model I have has been phased out, but had been in production for at least 25 years when it was phased out (my parents had the same model that they got as a wedding present).  My husband recently found the parts for a newer model in a free box on the street and the bowl, blades, etc. are all compatible with our base (so now we have a backup set of blades if ours do wear out or break, just as long as the motor keeps going).  If Cuisinart makes blenders like they do food processors, I would guess that blender sol linked to is pretty reliable and also reparable.  As I mentioned in my previous post on this thread though, I'm kind of over blenders and prefer using my food processor as a blender b/c I think it is easier to clean (and more versatile). 

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »
This is what is disturbing about this forum.

Buy a mattress?  Why couldn't you sleep on the floor?
Buy a blanket?  Why couldn't you cover yourself with leaves and grass clippings?
Buy a blender?  Why couldn't you use a stone and the ground?
Buy shoes?  Why couldn't you walk bare footed?
Pay for food?  Why couldn't you go to the public park and eat grass?

And the problem is that these same people get one person to "like" their comment and then they feel that is strong enough to support their soapbox.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »

Citation needed.  Or were you speaking metaphorically?

Sorry, pal, I am not going to research that for you.  You posted on a thread that you could buy the tools and clean your own teeth so you going to a dentist was wasting money.

I am speaking literally.

You enjoy arguing.  I bet you are a big hit at parties.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
Sorry, pal, I am not going to research that for you.  You posted on a thread that you could buy the tools and clean your own teeth so you going to a dentist was wasting money.

I have never said that, and you are lying.  Feel free to try to prove me wrong.

Incidentally, I do clean my own teeth in addition to visiting the dentist.  Please tell me you know how to brush?

You enjoy arguing.  I bet you are a big hit at parties.

I am!  I am charming and personable, also tall and well traveled and not very modest. 

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2017, 07:06:06 PM »
No, I am not lying.  And I am not going to waste my time looking for the thread where you wrote that.

By the way, you sure pounced on that comment saying there was a lunatic on here that said going to a dentist was a waste of money, didn't you?  Yeah, you did.  I suspect you know full well that you made that comment.  Who is lying?

You are out of your mind.

I am done with you.

Adios.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:49:51 PM by retiringearly »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »
I think there was a slight misunderstanding. Sol didn't say he does his own teeth, he said people could do it. Quote from another thread, click link to see it in context:

you must be one of the lucky ones to have been born with good teeth and lower incidence of plaque buildup

You don't need a dental degree to scrape plaque.  This is something you can do at home with tools you can buy at Walgreens.

This is like people who include a line item in their budget for haircuts.  Okay sure, you could pay someone to do that for you...

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
I think there was a slight misunderstanding. Sol didn't say he does his own teeth, he said people could do it. Quote from another thread, click link to see it in context:

you must be one of the lucky ones to have been born with good teeth and lower incidence of plaque buildup

You don't need a dental degree to scrape plaque.  This is something you can do at home with tools you can buy at Walgreens.

This is like people who include a line item in their budget for haircuts.  Okay sure, you could pay someone to do that for you...
No, there was no misunderstanding.

Sol, I would love to see your haircut.  I bet it is really beautiful.

LOFL.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »

Wait, scraping plaques counts as cleaning your teeth?  How about flossing?  Dentists will do that for you too, you know.

I do brush my teeth, and I floss, and yes I have scraped plaque off of my teeth before.  These are not the reasons I go to the dentist.  These are basic home dental care.  Dentists provide specialized services that I can not perform at home.  Basic cleaning is not one of them.

Sol, I would love to see your haircut.  I bet it is really beautiful.

I was bald for a while, and I never paid anyone to shave my head for me.  You can, if you like.

Now I have a job where hair is beneficial, so I'm not bald anymore.  But most men's haircuts are reasonably easy to learn to do, though not to yourself.  My wife does a wonderful job with it, and we've asked enough people to critique her work that I'm comfortable asserting that it is indistinguishable from what a barber would do.  The only down side is that she takes about twice as long to do it, but then again I'm not wasting time driving to the barber and back or waiting for a chair to open up, so I feel like the time trade off is about even.  On the bright side, I basically only get haircuts after about 9pm anymore, which is more convenient for everyone.

But this forum has strayed a loooong way from the days when people used to post about re-using paper towels and cutting their partner's hair.  Once upon a time, this place was about self reliance and frugality and environmental protection, not $600 blenders.   Which is, after all, the thread we're currently in and the very reason why you're attacking me for not wasting money.

But hey, if making fun my wife's haircutting ability, or my imagined appearance, is what you need to do to feel better about your Vitamix, you go right ahead.  It's no skin off my nose.  I think you're confused, though.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
I was bald for a while, and I never paid anyone to shave my head for me.  You can, if you like.

Now I have a job where hair is beneficial, so I'm not bald anymore. ...

These two statements sound pretty similar to me:
"I got hair replacement because I feel like it increases my earning potential" <-- Says it's justified by increasing earning potential
"I bought a Vitamix because I feel like it saves me wasting money on other blenders that consistently failed" <-- Says it's justified by reducing spending

The difference here seem to be the stakes. I assume that hair replacement costs >> than the $150 bucks the Vitamix person wasted if they are wrong in the justification (assuming reconditioned vs $140 blender recommended earlier).

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »
I assume that hair replacement costs >> than the $150 bucks the Vitamix person wasted

Maybe I wasn't clear.  I was bald by choice, and my "hair replacement cost" was zero because I just stopped shaving it and let it grow back.  After I retire, I will start shaving it bald again.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
I assume that hair replacement costs >> than the $150 bucks the Vitamix person wasted

Maybe I wasn't clear.  I was bald by choice, and my "hair replacement cost" was zero because I just stopped shaving it and let it grow back.  After I retire, I will start shaving it bald again.

That makes way more sense.