Author Topic: TV recommendations  (Read 1682 times)

Atlguy49

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
TV recommendations
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:25:16 AM »
I'm looking to buy a second tv for my bedroom.  I'm not sure if I'm going to get a 32" or a 40", but leaning towards the 40".  So I've been reading reviews on this new brand called TCL.  It seems like a Roku tv and I know nothing about them.  It's the cheapest, but I've read negative reviews on Roku setup and the ads.  So then I looked at the Samsung and by far it seems the best, but pushes $400, nearly double the price of the TCL.  Which would give me most bang for the buck? The other reason for buying is in case my 6 yr old Samsung goes bad, I'll have a spare.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: TV recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
I bought a TCL 55" at Costco for $329 back in November.

I had thought that TCL was just cheap junk, but in fact the reviewers rated it one of the top budget 55" TVs. It's a Roku TV, but we don't use any paid apps, just Amazon Prime and our cable box so far.

At this point, I don't think I'd pay double the money for a Samsung. TCL also supply panels to other manufacturers, which is a plus in my book.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
You may want to wait a week or two.  Lots of TVs (but mostly big ones) go on sale right before the super bowl.

A friend bought themself a 50" Visio smart TV for Xmas, and I'm genuinely impressed with it - jealous even.  So I'm looking to buy a superbowl sale TV.
Right now, the Visio is the best price - value per the reviews.  It does not have Roku, but I already have a Roku stick (which I seldom use).

Where did you read the reviews on TCL?
Are the ads just on the Roku app?  I'd be really pissed to have ads from the TV.  I bought an antenna DVR so I can time shift shows and FFWD thru the ads.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »
Check out rtings.com. TCL seems to be a fine brand.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Which would give me most bang for the buck? The other reason for buying is in case my 6 yr old Samsung goes bad, I'll have a spare.
For what it's worth, my five year old 55" Samsung TV is now on to its third power supply board. Supposedly, Samsung has had issues with using low quality capacitors that cause the power supply boards to fry themselves from time to time.

Atlguy49

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:00:52 PM »
I ended up getting the Samsung 40" on sale for $379.  I don't think that's too bad.  Of course, I'm not a techie, so I failed in setting it up.  I refuse to pay Geek Squad $100 for a 10 minute visit to set it up, so Direct TV is coming out for free to replace my old box and I'll get them to do it.