Author Topic: Tire Pump  (Read 2076 times)

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
Tire Pump
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »
For some reason, I am the only person that I have known that does this. I use a bike pump to fill up car tires so I don't have to buy an air compressor or pay at gas stations. It works perfectly fine because car tires actually require far less pressure than bike tires. Even though they have a much greater volume than a bike tire, it doesn't take as long as you would think. A few weeks ago, I had to make a 3 hour road trip with my family. When I checked the TPMS when stopping for gas right after we left, they were at about 23 to 25 PSI per tire. I had all four tires back to around 35 buy the time my wife had gone in to get some coffee (face punch for buying overpriced coffee). It took all of 5 to 10 minutes.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
Re: Tire Pump
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:39:41 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised by it too. You just pump 'em up. It takes a lot less time than driving to a gas station would, and I suspect the non-brand-name air works about the same as the kind you buy :-)

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:51:52 PM »
It's good exercise too. Just make sure your pump head fits your car's stems. I had two or three bike pumps and none would fit right on my car's valves (the valves were short, and kind of recessed into the rims).

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:01:03 PM »
I use a bike pump to fill up car tires....
Yup, just did this ~a week ago.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 08:06:22 AM »
That's a a lot of volume.  :)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
I do that too. With TPMS, I can see the pressure on the dash, so it's easy to maintain correct tire pressure.

The only time I've had to fill from flat was when I used a tire plug kit to fix a roofing nail hole in September. It still didn't take long, considering.