Author Topic: Sprint $15 unlimited talk/text/data  (Read 2659 times)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
Sprint $15 unlimited talk/text/data
« on: June 14, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
I might switch over to this, it expires tomorrow at 8pm eastern I think.

Currently I'm with at&t paying 45/mo.

edit: helpful to include the linkhttps://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-kickstart.html

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Sprint $15 unlimited talk/text/data
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
Just to update, I did just switch and got a new (well, refurbished) phone with the plan from Sprint. It should arrive on monday.

The monthly savings should pay for the phone in less than a year!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
Looks like the deal is good until midnight EDT. Price excludes taxes and surcharges - so probably closer to $20/mo.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »

So... let me see if I've got this straight. You're effectively paying the exact same amount for the next year that you were already paying, only now you had to buy another refurbished phone at $300+ (assuming the "less than" a year payback when you consider taxes and regulatory fees) to replace a likely already perfectly usable handset that probably could have lasted for at least another year or longer itself if you took care of it, go through the headache of data and network migration, and get no promise of being able to keep that new price after your year with Sprint at the current price point just so you can wind up being on the precarious and past headache inducing absorbed network end of a T-Mobile merger complete with unpredictable price changes after that point, all with a phone that you bought that outside of the Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7 models they're currently selling possibly won't even work with T-Mobile's network after the merger outside of the Sprint footprint until that spectrum gets refarmed, or let you carrier unlock to go back to AT&T with until at least 18 months from now?

*squints*

Are you sure this is as good a deal as you think this is?

It's not too late to back out, friend...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:08:09 PM by Daley »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »

So... let me see if I've got this straight. You're effectively paying the exact same amount for the next year that you were already paying, only now you had to buy another refurbished phone at $300+ (assuming the "less than" a year payback when you consider taxes and regulatory fees) to replace a likely already perfectly usable handset that probably could have lasted for at least another year or longer itself if you took care of it, go through the headache of data and network migration, and get no promise of being able to keep that new price after your year with Sprint at the current price point just so you can wind up being on the precarious and past headache inducing absorbed network end of a T-Mobile merger complete with unpredictable price changes after that point, all with a phone that you bought that outside of the Galaxy S8 or iPhone 7 models they're currently selling possibly won't even work with T-Mobile's network after the merger outside of the Sprint footprint until that spectrum gets refarmed, or let you carrier unlock to go back to AT&T with until at least 18 months from now?

*squints*

Haha, valid points. My current phone is breaking down (it's over 5 years old) and doesn't work on sprint's network, so I got a refurbished one from Sprint. You can bring your own phone if it works on CDMA. Then it would cost you nothing for a phone!

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
[snip]
*squints*

Haha, valid points. My current phone is breaking down (it's over 5 years old) and doesn't work on sprint's network, so I got a refurbished one from Sprint. You can bring your own phone if it works on CDMA. Then it would cost you nothing for a phone!

"Bringing your own phone" to Sprint is pretty much isolated to a handful of Verizon handsets and some iPhones if you don't already have a Sprint handset. It's empty marketing puffery.

You probably could have done better staying with an AT&T MVNO or sub-brand and buying a used/refurbished handset on their network. Quicker ROI, cheaper phone, better network, no buyout nonsense. Take the time this weekend to look at options before the Sprint package arrives, even if it's just like Cricket or something....

You can do better than this deal. Honest.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:03:51 PM by Daley »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »

*squints*

That actually wasn't true.  Sprint MVNO's use CDMA as well, but you could not take one of those phones to Sprint's plan.  In fact, some people reported having phones that they used to use on Sprint proper, moved it to a Sprint MVNO, and Sprint wouldn't let them move it back to Sprint proper.  I actually did the same with my original Sprint phone (moved to R+, then to Tello).

Edit:  I still use Tello, which is a Sprint MNVO, which uses the Sprint cellular network and has no roaming.  I've been very happy with it and haven't had to pay anything in about a year and a half since my original $5 PAYGO topup.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 11:04:58 AM by DreamFIRE »

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:53:57 AM »
Unlimited data plan for as cheap as possible is not mustachian IMO. I would reevaluate your data habits first.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
Good luck.  I tried Sprint about 5 years ago and the couldn't get reception on the first floor of my house (in a highly populated suburb).