Author Topic: Socks and Boxers that aren't crap  (Read 7536 times)

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
Socks and Boxers that aren't crap
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi all,

Any recommendations for men's boxers and socks that are a good value (i.e. the best cost per wear based on expected lifespan)? Used to buy Hanes socks and IZOD boxers and they'd last several years before getting holes. Now it seems like they're designed to barely last through one washing.

I also bought a pack of socks at Costco that were slightly more expensive ("Weatherproof" brand) in hopes they'd last a little longer. No such luck. Holes after a few months.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Socks and Boxers that aren't crap
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
I'm having incredibly good luck with the Duluth brand.  Their t-shirts also seem well constructed.

Everything I've bought from them is holding up much better than the normal brands that seem to wear out in a few months.  I only discovered them about a year ago, so I can't speak to longevity past that.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
Gold-toe socks

Duluth Trading under-drawers

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
I know you will get all sorts of responses. I have not had good luck with Gold Toe socks, they start fine but then the cotton in the sock becomes less supple over time. I buy off brands at Nordstrom rack for business use, otherwise I wear Nike athletic socks or SmartWool. Purchased on sale, Natch.

Boxers? GAP, for sure. I buy them on sale and they seem to last forever. Last time I bought they had actually made a few improvements to the waistband, which was nice.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
I'm having incredibly good luck with the Duluth brand.  Their t-shirts also seem well constructed.

Everything I've bought from them is holding up much better than the normal brands that seem to wear out in a few months.  I only discovered them about a year ago, so I can't speak to longevity past that.

I bought 8 pairs of the Duluth on a sale back in December so can't speak for the longevity yet. Wouldn't say they are life changing but they are very comfortable, and they are the only pair of boxer briefs I've had that don't ride up in the legs. They stay put. At $10/pair on sale, I hope I have they last a long time.

I know a lot of people swear by the Darn Tough socks, but I have yet to try them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:00:07 PM by dcozad999 »

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »
Socks: Under Armor socks are thick and durable.  I bought a six-pack of UA socks three years ago, and use them for pretty much all of my non-professional wear, including fairly heavy exercise (running and weightlifting).  No holes or even thin spots.

Boxers:  Ex Officio.  I've started wearing them 20 years ago.  The elastic in the waist starts wearing out around year 15.  They are expensive at $20/pair+, but amortized over their lifetime they are much cheaper than buying a pack of Haynes every other year.  As a bonus they are made for camping and hiking, so they are insect-repellant and hang dry overnight (so if you're out on the trail, you only need two pair).

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 07:42:28 AM »
I buy Hanes boxer briefs cheap so that’s what I’ve stuck with, longevity is okay but I expect to replace underwear periodically.

For socks I’ll second the under armor recommendation. Pretty solid for athletic wear but again these must be replaced periodically depending on workouts/activities.. For dress socks I wear Nordstrom’s wool socks. Around Christmas time you can get them discounted and they last forever; I’ve been wearing the same ones for years and the elastic is still strong.

J_Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
I switched to these socks:
https://www.costco.com/Weatherproof-Men%E2%80%99s-Crew-Sock-4-pair.product.100162051.html
and these boxer briefs:
https://www.costco.com/Champion-Men's-Boxer-Brief-6-pack.product.100316263.html

I highly recommend both.

Yes, I know you asked for boxers, but give boxer briefs a chance.  These don't bunch up at all.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »
Under Armour for socks.  I wear the hiking socks for nearly everything, otherwise I have lowcut UA socks for when I wear shorts/shoes.

MeUndies underwear is pretty damn comfortable, but $$.  I only have one pair, but they rock. 

I've been meaning to try Duluth underwear.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »
I still have good luck with Hanes. Get 3yrs or so of daily use out of them. Too bad they have gone downhill?

CRG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
Ex-Officio boxers and Darn Tough socks. It's astonishing how much life I can get out of these products.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:09 AM »
When you are buying socks, get 10 - 15 pairs and toss out your old socks.  Then you don't need to waste time sorting them from the laundry.  Your socks will also last longer  . . . because if one in a pair dies due to a freak accident/defect/whatever, you can just match it up with another similar one and keep going.

If you're getting holes in socks within a matter of months, I'd be inclined to carefully check my shoes for fit.  Maybe they're too loose, or are causing rubbing that is killing the socks?

BeerBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 11:41:09 AM »
I have several pairs of weatherproof socks that have lasted 5-6 years, I heard costco had some and i was going to buy more, disappointing to hear about the quality.

GOFU

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
Hanes boxer briefs. UnderArmor socks. All cotton, all the time.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
Not mustachian, but they haven't failed me yet: flint and tinder, but I'll be brief, boxers aren't my thing. I'm not sure how long I've had them -- we backed them on kickstarter, back in 2012 apparently. No holes, elastic is still good. Silk screen is pretty worn/gone, but that's okay and its nice they didn't have a tag to come half-our and be scratchy.

Socks though, that's a lot tougher nut to crack. I have XL/wide feet and its tough to find something around a 12 double wide. Its either "one size crushes most" or "you are a size 16" neither of which is much good. Strangely enough the fairly thin, tabi socks off amazon are okay. I also got some carhart socks off zappos which are decent.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »
I forgot to include;

When (if?) my Duluth Trading underwear wears out, I will be shopping for bamboo (fabric) replacements.
I have a bamboo (fabric) T shirt (bought on Amazon).  I luv it and can't say enough good things about it.   It's very soft, very durable and doesn't wrinkle.
I prefer Tee's with pockets, so it is my nightshirt every night (other than winter) and my doing stuff around the house shirt. 
I like it so much that I wrote to Duluth Trading and begged them to make/sell bamboo Tees (I like how their shirts are a bit heavier and longer).  And I asked that they make some with pockets.
It is 3 yrs old and has no signs of fraying (I just checked it pretty closely).

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »

If you're getting holes in socks within a matter of months, I'd be inclined to carefully check my shoes for fit.  Maybe they're too loose, or are causing rubbing that is killing the socks?

Now that you mention it, this could be a factor. The socks don't always get holes in the same places but a lot of them wear out on the bottom center of the tread, next to the ball of my foot. And I just remembered that one pair of shoes that I wear frequently are worn almost flat in that area. The rubber outsole is worn flat and and inner sole has basically no cushion either. Maybe this is part of it...?

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
For everyone recommending Under Armour for socks, can you post a link of which type, average cost/pair, and where you usually buy them? 
I'm in the market for new socks.

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »
I will echo what another poster already said: Darn Tough socks and Ex Officio underwear.

It is a personal goal of mine to wear a pair of DT socks and EO boxer briefs every single day. Ahhh, what luxury...

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 01:15:43 PM »
For everyone recommending Under Armour for socks, can you post a link of which type, average cost/pair, and where you usually buy them? 

These are the ones I like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV3K8U2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in lite and heavy.  Right now I only have the heavy variation.  I wear them everyday unless I have shorts on, which is never this time of year.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »
I exclusively wear Darn Tough socks and Ex Officio boxer briefs.  I also liked Underarmor's boxer briefs but they seem to have changed their design since I bought my first ones (~2006) and I've since switched brands.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VV3K8U2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They come in lite and heavy.  Right now I only have the heavy variation.  I wear them everyday unless I have shorts on, which is never this time of year.

For that price wouldn't it just be better to go with Darn Tough since they have the lifetime replacement?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 08:40:50 AM »

For that price wouldn't it just be better to go with Darn Tough since they have the lifetime replacement?

Maybe.  I like the UA socks so that's what I buy. 

I have never worn Darn Tough and If I'm being honest with myself I would never bother with returning the socks after years of use.  I've never understood companies that offer lifetime replacement on wear items.  Sure it sounds nice and can be a sales pitch, but other than a manufacturing defect why would I return the item after 15 years because it wore out?  At that point you're just being cheap.  If I like the product I'd rather just buy another one.

kandj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »
My husband works at a high end outdoor sports store so we are getting free/discounts on these products, but he will only buy Patagonia boxers now and he MUCH prefers Point6 wool socks to Smartwool. He wears through Smartwool socks pretty quick.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
I tried Exofficio boxer briefs in preparation for my thru-hike attempt of the Appalachian Trail in 2016 and I'm a total convert. They're pricey at ~$25 a pair but ive been using 3 pair exclusively for the last 2 years. A lightweight, sweat wicking material makes them incredibly comfortable. If you're a dude, the give-n-go version of the briefs include a pouch for your man bits that is heavenly. A hilarious Amazon reviewer compares it to having your testicles cupped by an angel's wings.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
All right everybody, I was down to a single pair of socks without holes so I finally bit the bullet to re-stock.

On Slickdeals today, there was a deal with a Duluth Trading 20% off promo code + Free shipping (applies to any order where the total is $75 or higher BEFORE the discount).

The promo code is T18PC1 and I have no idea how long it's active, in case anyone else is interested.

So I went ahead and bought some Darn Tough socks and both boxers and boxer briefs.

With the promo it works out to $10.34 per pair for the underoos and $3.15 per pair for the socks. I hope they last a while!

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early Retirement or BUST
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 04:30:36 AM »
For socks - Gold Toe have been the best in terms of durability for me.

Boxers? I just go cheap on those. Nothing wrong with tossing undies after a good three years or so of wear. Banana Republic outlet all the way.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
For socks - Gold Toe have been the best in terms of durability for me.

Boxers? I just go cheap on those. Nothing wrong with tossing undies after a good three years or so of wear. Banana Republic outlet all the way.

I loved Gold Toe socks 10-15 years ago and then they changed them..I bought the same item on Amazon again but they didn't hold their color nearly as well and the material was different. I was sad.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
...Darn Tough socks...

+1

Darn Tough socks are also guaranteed for life so if you do wear them out, just send them back to Vermont for a new pair. 

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
Hi all,

Any recommendations for men's boxers and socks that are a good value (i.e. the best cost per wear based on expected lifespan)? Used to buy Hanes socks and IZOD boxers and they'd last several years before getting holes. Now it seems like they're designed to barely last through one washing.

I also bought a pack of socks at Costco that were slightly more expensive ("Weatherproof" brand) in hopes they'd last a little longer. No such luck. Holes after a few months.

Under armor socks.  They’re a little pricier but they last way longer than other socks.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!