Author Topic: Sift - unlocking the hidden benefits of credit cards (refund protection, cashbac  (Read 2207 times)

chaseboy2010

Just saw this on TechCrunch. Apparently they are able to automatically find lower prices on things you've bought and engage the price protection on your credit card (if you have it) to save money. Not sure what they do to get value out of credit card insurance and other perks, but I signed up to request early access to check it out. I'm certain they do the same thing Mint and Personal Capital do and scan your transactions to mine data to sell (it's the business model for these free services).

Here's my referral link if you want to sign up: http://www.siftwallet.com?kid=EH1DM

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
I've heard about it.
I'm interested.

But they require a LOT of account info.

Google doesn't find a single user review. Red flag.  You don't say it's saved you any money. Flag.

I'm not going to be a guinea pig / sucker.

chaseboy2010

Got my invite and downloaded the app. It's really cool. I felt a bit uncomfortable with the account access needed, but its required for what they need to do. Essentially they need Gmail read access to scan your e-mails for receipts, and your Amazon login for order info. You don't have to log into your credit cards, you just select which credit cards you have and then select which card was used for which purchase.

Basically checks if you can get price protection if the price drops (they've automated it for Citi and Chase cards), and tells you how many days left you have to return items you've bought, and what your warranty status is on anything you've bought (included extended warranty from credit cards).

Not surprising that Google doesn't have a single user review, they just got funded and just released the app.

I e-mailed the team because they don't currently support 2FA (two-factor authentication) on Amazon, but they are planning to in the next build. I told them I am an iOS developer, so they are going to send me the Beta build to test.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!