Author Topic: Seattle - Rental Car? - Thoughts?  (Read 10378 times)

newton

• Stubble
Seattle - Rental Car? - Thoughts?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
Hello

I have to go to Seattle in June for 6 days and need a rental car.  Anyone have any thoughts on saving money?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Seattle - Rental Car? - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
Assuming you're flying in, your most expensive options will be at the airport.  If timing works out, it could be substantially cheaper to Uber a few minutes away to a different car rental location.

Hertz gives you a discount if you're a AAA member (and waives the young driver surcharge if you're under 25).

Don't get the damage waiver/insurance/etc.  Use a credit card that has good rental car coverage and that's taken care of in the case of something stupid happening.

Don't forget to fill it up before you bring it back.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »
" If timing works out, it could be substantially cheaper to Uber a few minutes away to a different car rental location."

This is exactly what I did when I flew to Seattle last june and rented a car. Uber cost me $20 and I saved a shitload on the car rental (same company, just not at the airport).

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »
Assuming you're flying in, your most expensive options will be at the airport.  If timing works out, it could be substantially cheaper to Uber a few minutes away to a different car rental location.

Hertz gives you a discount if you're a AAA member (and waives the young driver surcharge if you're under 25).

Don't get the damage waiver/insurance/etc.  Use a credit card that has good rental car coverage and that's taken care of in the case of something stupid happening.

Don't forget to fill it up before you bring it back.

Thanks for the tip!

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Um, don't get a rental car? Just do uber, pack light, use the metro, walk.

But if you're going to get a rental, at least get something interesting like a Tesla.

trix76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:55:59 PM »
Autoslash! Submit a request (no cc info required) and see how low it goes. Autoslash keeps rebooking for you at lower rates every time they fluctuate. I saved $200 on a week-long rental in Colorado, and have saved on average about $50 using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »
Um, don't get a rental car? Just do uber, pack light, use the metro, walk.

But if you're going to get a rental, at least get something interesting like a Tesla.

I agree for avoiding a rental if possible... parking in downtown Seattle is a nightmare and public transportation is plenty.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
Autoslash! Submit a request (no cc info required) and see how low it goes. Autoslash keeps rebooking for you at lower rates every time they fluctuate. I saved $200 on a week-long rental in Colorado, and have saved on average about $50 using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  Never heard of this but will definitely check it out. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
When we were in Seattle, we had a three-part trip. First part, we stayed at a hotel that had a free shuttle from the airport. For the next few days, we walked everywhere and took the train to see a Mariner's game. Next, we rented a car through Costco. It was from a mid-town Budget dealership which was only two blocks from our hotel. We drove the rental to Idaho for a family wedding. When we returned to Seattle for a few more days of fun, we stayed at a different hotel in the same chain. Our intent was to return the car to the Budget Counter where we'd picked it up and take public transit to the airport. On a whim, we called Budget and asked if we could drop the car at the airport for no extra fee. To our surprise, they said yes. We avoided all the airport fees/pricing. We also stayed at hotels where there was no charge for parking and paid for our rooms with points+cash. Had a great trip, didn't break the bank. Oh, and we also bought a one-week City Pass for each of us, which was a lot of fun.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
Another possible option is Turo(.com).  It's P2P auto rental. 
I used it when my car had to go into the shop and the shop couldn't work on it for a few days.
It would have been a bit cheaper to rent from a traditional car rental Co, but they are farther from my house so would have cost me more for Uber to take me to and from.

checkedoutat39

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
SEA has some pretty nasty fees on airport car rentals. Definitely look into off-airport locations, assuming you need a car in the first place.

You may be able to pick up at an off-airport site and return to the airport and still avoid the airport taxes and dropoff charges. Haven't done this in Seattle but have done it other places. Sometimes you have to force this online with different pickup and dropoff locations, but sometimes you can just ask at pickup if you can go back to the airport instead.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 12:18:49 AM »
SEA has some pretty nasty fees on airport car rentals. Definitely look into off-airport locations, assuming you need a car in the first place.

You may be able to pick up at an off-airport site and return to the airport and still avoid the airport taxes and dropoff charges. Haven't done this in Seattle but have done it other places. Sometimes you have to force this online with different pickup and dropoff locations, but sometimes you can just ask at pickup if you can go back to the airport instead.
Um, look two posts up. Did it in Seattle. It works there too. No forcing required, just a polite request.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
When we were in Seattle, we had a three-part trip. First part, we stayed at a hotel that had a free shuttle from the airport. For the next few days, we walked everywhere and took the train to see a Mariner's game. Next, we rented a car through Costco. It was from a mid-town Budget dealership which was only two blocks from our hotel. We drove the rental to Idaho for a family wedding. When we returned to Seattle for a few more days of fun, we stayed at a different hotel in the same chain. Our intent was to return the car to the Budget Counter where we'd picked it up and take public transit to the airport. On a whim, we called Budget and asked if we could drop the car at the airport for no extra fee. To our surprise, they said yes. We avoided all the airport fees/pricing. We also stayed at hotels where there was no charge for parking and paid for our rooms with points+cash. Had a great trip, didn't break the bank. Oh, and we also bought a one-week City Pass for each of us, which was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the info.  I will only be in Seattle for one day, then driving to Portland, and then down to Eugene and then working my way back to Seattle.  Any must do activities in Seattle and Portland would be appreciated.  Never been to the Northwest. 

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »
You don't need to Uber to a car rental place.  The light rail goes straight from the airport to downtown, and there are rental offices downtown.   If you don't need to drive every day, you could book the car just for 2-3 days mid-trip, and use public transit or walk the rest of the time.  Downtown Seattle is hilly, but still pretty walkable.  The walk along the waterfront from the sculpture park over to Seattle Center is really nice on a sunny day (hopefully there will be some of those during your trip).

If you plan to use public transit, buy an Orca card -- I think you should be able to get them at the airport.   Once you have the card, you can set up autopay on line.

Thanks.  I arrive in Seattle on a Tuesday morning.  Plan on checking out Seattle for that day (and then the day I fly out).  I want to get out of town that evening and stay somewhere on the way to Portland as I assume hotels will be cheaper out of the city.  Not sure what I would do with my bags if I don't get a car right away.  Nice tips!

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
I used it when my car had to go into the shop and the shop couldn't work on it for a few days.
It would have been a bit cheaper to rent from a traditional car rental Co, but they are farther from my house so would have cost me more for Uber to take me to and from.

I checked this out.  Never used it but had heard of it.  Much cheaper but has a 1000 mile weekly limit and I will probably go slightly over that.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »
JUST AN UPDATE

Currently the best rate I've found is on AutoSlash for $275 (Tuesday through Monday).

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »
Tip for rental car booking, anywhere : if your flight times work for this, reserve the car for exactly full day rental times (like 10 am pickup, 10 am dropoff). Sometimes this can make a big difference in pricing. Car rentals are weird that way.

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
I live in Seattle and rent cars here fairly regularly. I usually find that Enterprise has the best rates, and the location on 3rd and Stewart has 24 hour drop off. If you use a credit card like the Chase Sapphire it may cover your collision insurance which shaves off the $$. Orbitz also has some good rates, from time to time.

I'd take the light rail from the airport, and pick up a car downtown when you leave the city. Driving and parking downtown is no fun, so consider staying car-free for your Seattle days. Most hotels will hang onto your luggage if you want to drop off your bag while you explore. And it's no problem to bring your suitcase on the rail from the airport.

SIS

Thanks for the info.  Good stuff.  I will check it out!  Any thoughts on "must do first time tourist things" for Seattle :)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

I checked this out.  Never used it but had heard of it.  Much cheaper but has a 1000 mile weekly limit and I will probably go slightly over that.
I believe you can contact the owner/renter and ask for the price of a higher mileage limit.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 02:03:42 AM »
I recommend rentalcars.com I have booked through them before.

They currently have a one week Enterprise car for $99+tax = $120.

Brian

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
I recommend rentalcars.com I have booked through them before.

They currently have a one week Enterprise car for $99+tax = $120.

Brian

Thanks Brian.  Just by chance, is that pick-up at the airport?  I appreciate it.  Great stuff.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 02:18:57 AM »
newtown,

I suggest you conduct a search of your own. I don't have enough info to really help more than I have. You haven't provided your exact dates, so I am not sure that the results I found and screenshot yesterday (and confirmed they are still available as of now) are accurate. If indeed your dates are June 6 - June 12 I don't know what time you are arriving/leaving...

To answer your question, No- the $120/week car is at an Enterprise location at 11717 Lake City Way NE Seattle, WA (this is on the screenshot). You can enter this address in maps.google.com click directions enter the airport and select public transport. Find out what time you are leaving... and it will show you bus routes. My quick search showed about 1:20 and $5, with one transfer in Chinatown.

Enterprise will come and pick you up. But not from the airport. You will need to get out of the airport. You will also need to set up a pickup by phone, in advance. Or, just take the bus, it will get you there in basically the same amount of time. And looks like it will drop you off very close.

You can also Uber there, but to this particular address, it is a good distance and would cost accordingly.

Again, your luck may vary...

Brian

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
newtown,

I suggest you conduct a search of your own. I don't have enough info to really help more than I have. You haven't provided your exact dates, so I am not sure that the results I found and screenshot yesterday (and confirmed they are still available as of now) are accurate. If indeed your dates are June 6 - June 12 I don't know what time you are arriving/leaving...

To answer your question, No- the $120/week car is at an Enterprise location at 11717 Lake City Way NE Seattle, WA (this is on the screenshot). You can enter this address in maps.google.com click directions enter the airport and select public transport. Find out what time you are leaving... and it will show you bus routes. My quick search showed about 1:20 and $5, with one transfer in Chinatown.

Enterprise will come and pick you up. But not from the airport. You will need to get out of the airport. You will also need to set up a pickup by phone, in advance. Or, just take the bus, it will get you there in basically the same amount of time. And looks like it will drop you off very close.

You can also Uber there, but to this particular address, it is a good distance and would cost accordingly.

Again, your luck may vary...

Brian

Thanks for the info!  I learned a lot.  Didn't realize google maps woulds route public transportation :)  I appreciate it.  Not familiar with Seattle at all or their public transportation.  I may have to suck it up and rent at the airport.  Time is of the essence as I will only have that day to see the Seattle sights before getting out of town.  My flight arrives at 10:30 am and I want to be leaving town at around 6-7 pm.

Thanks again.  Great stuff.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 02:01:09 AM »
Time is of the essence as I will only have that day to see the Seattle sights before getting out of town.  My flight arrives at 10:30 am and I want to be leaving town at around 6-7 pm.
This information might have been helpful to include in your original post. 《Insert forehead smack here.》

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 10:59:12 PM »

Hey, trix76, thanks for the Autoslash tip! We're going to Denver for a week in July and the very best price I could find was $502 for an intermediate size. Autoslash got it down to $322. Best of all, it's only a reservation. I can keep price shopping and cancel this if I can beat that price. Score!

jpvt128

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
I have had some of my best luck renting through Costco travel for rental cars if you're a member. They seem to beat a lot of the other discount codes out there when I do the rental car dance.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:57 AM »
Must see things in Seattle - Pike Place Market and downtown, sculpture park (also downtown/waterfront area) and then choose either seattle center (space needle) or bainbridge island (walk on the ferry for cheap round trip out on the water with excellent views of the city, also a very PNW thing to do).

All of these things would be much more pleasant without a car so I second all the recommendations to not pick one up until you leave town. Have you thought about taking the train to Portland and/or Eugene? It's my preferred way to make that trip as well. Much prettier and no sitting in traffic, and cheaper than renting a car. Portland is also a great city without a car and kind of a pain with a car. Eugene is also accessible by train, or you could rent as you're leaving portland.

lakesandmountain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 02:43:47 PM »
+1 Ninja

schneider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »

Thanks for this tip — it never occurred to me to try this. I'm taking a trip later this summer (not to Seattle, elsewhere in the American West) and booking downtown (through the same big-name rental company I always use) is saving me ~$150/week versus the same car at the airport, with easy public transit from the airport to the car rental place.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 11:41:55 AM »
Wouldn't the mustachian way be to do an internet search for 'rent a wreck seattle'?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!