Author Topic: Recommendation needed: Affordable CPAP  (Read 2219 times)

MandyT

• Stubble
Recommendation needed: Affordable CPAP
« on: November 22, 2022, 12:14:34 PM »
I was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea after dealing with weeks of fatigue. Kind of crazy to see how many "apnea" events I have per night!

We go to a Direct Primary Care physician who gets us deals with local medical providers in areas she doesn't handle (DS got an MRI yesterday for $500...it usually cost us $1500+!). We also have insurance with an extra-high deductible ($20k/person). Just supplying this info to let you know why we're self-paying for all this.

The Dr. ordered a home sleep test from a company she's affiliated with that offers a discount. Now they are, of course, recommending I buy one of their machines...but they cost a  minimum of $750, up to around $1,200! And then there are the additional things needed, like sanitation

Another option offered (which they do not sell) was a mandibular advancement splint. but I see those start at $1,200.

My mom once rented a CPAP machine to make sure it would work out for her before buying one (it didn't). Has anyone here had a good experience renting...and if so, from where?

I'm also looking for recommendations for a good, less-expensive CPCP setup. A heated humidifier CPAP was recommended, which sounds good if it's not crazy expensive. I don't know what style of CPAP I need, but I could chat with the company I was referred to and then shop around.

Thanks!

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
Re: Recommendation needed: Affordable CPAP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »
Not sure where in the world you are so cannot comment on whether $750 to $1200 is expensive or inexpensive.

When I bought my CPAP 5 or 6 years ago from a local supplier, it was over $2,500 (Canadian). Resmed S10 with heated hose and nasal mask. I bought a travel unit a couple years ago (from a Canadian online vendor), it was $1,400 (with mask). I was able to put both through my work health plan.

I would find someone who will do the sleep study then shop around. You may need to pay for the study if you don't purchase the CPAP from them.

I'm not sure I sleep any better with it; my wife on the other hand, sleeps better now that I'm not tearing the roof off with my snoring.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
If you live in the US and have health insurance they rent the machine for you for a year at which time you own it if you wear it most nights for 4 hours.

MandyT

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 08:38:54 PM »
Thanks for your responses! I am in the US. I guess the machines are cheaper here than in some other areas, but I’d still like to keep my costs as low as possible.

I already had the sleep study and it indicated I have mild sleep apnea. I like the idea of renting for a little while just to make sure it works for me before taking the plunge. I’ll need to contact my insurance company… seeing as how I’m not even close to hitting my deductible I’m not sure how much they would help me out.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 04:36:49 AM »
DH and I both use cpaps. Over time, we have moved away from adding water to the reservoirs and it's a lot less hassle and no wet pillows. We also decided against fancy sterilization gizmos in favor of soap and water. I'm mostly posting to mention that we save on utilities because c-paps are medical devices. In our case, our machines were covered by insurance, but the savings on utilities over time would have more than covered the cost of the machine. Worth checking with your energy provider and doing the paperwork.

MandyT

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 06:35:50 AM »
I'm mostly posting to mention that we save on utilities because c-paps are medical devices.

I’m afraid I don’t understand. How does using a CPAP save on utilities versus not having one?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 01:36:37 PM »
Those cleaning machines actually damage the cpap machines. Just use vinegar and water. I have used one for 12 years and have no clue how you would be saving money on utilities. I am interested in Dickey’s answer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 01:48:29 PM by Cassie »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 10:07:44 PM »
I'm mostly posting to mention that we save on utilities because c-paps are medical devices.

I’m afraid I don’t understand. How does using a CPAP save on utilities versus not having one?
Because the medical equipment allowance they give is huge, well beyond the cost of running two c-paps.

In our area, electricity usage is divided into four Tiers. As you use up your allotment of each Tier, the rates increase. With the c-paps, they give us a bunch more level 1 units, which are the cheapest. Our bills frequently went to Tier 3 and sometimes Tier 4. With the medical baseline, we rarely hit Tier 2.

You have to fill out paperwork, take it to your doctor and they have to mail it in to avoid fraud, but it is really worth the effort. There was a thread about this here a long time ago. Apparently it's fairly common for utility companies to offer such a deal.

Oh, and the allowance is the same for a single c-pap as it is for two, so the savings for a single person could be proportionally more. How often does that happen?

MandyT

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 11:50:32 AM »
Because the medical equipment allowance they give is huge, well beyond the cost of running two c-paps.

Oh, I see! Thank you for explaining.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 10:46:12 AM »
That’s great!  I looked on Entergy’s website and nope.  Darn Louisiana.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 11:28:32 AM »
That’s great!  I looked on Entergy’s website and nope.  Darn Louisiana.
Don't trust the website. Call them.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 01:02:27 PM »
I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea couple years back. That time, Insurance was going to cover the machine but i didnt want to sleep with machines. Then i lost some weight, changed to side sleeping, fast forward 3 years, I still have sleep apnea. Lol.

Now on different insurance company. The medical supplier said they can put me on the monthly rental. The cost of the machine outright is $1500 + supplies. But i rent, then I would be paying $800 and Insurance company would pay $1400. It doesnt add math, so i called insurance company, they said i can buy outright and my out of pocket will be based on the yearly limit to meet or 30% of the total cost. So definitely morethan one parameter. I am still deciding, my dilemma is on money as i already met the out of pocket maximum for this year and starting March, i would go back to old insurance which gave me the instrument for free.

Did you made the decision ?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 01:34:55 PM »
CPAP machines are very hard to come by right now due to a manufacturing issue. So, yeah, if you can find one, you are probably not going to a great bargain over these couple of years ago prices folks are quoting.

MandyT

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 03:57:34 PM »
Did you made the decision ?

Yes, I decided to just forget about it. :) I tried one of those anti-snoring mouthpieces from Amazon to see if that might be a cheap fix, and didn't like it at all.

CPAP machines are very hard to come by right now due to a manufacturing issue. So, yeah, if you can find one, you are probably not going to a great bargain over these couple of years ago prices folks are quoting.

Of wow, good to know! I think I'm going to just skip the CPAP altogether.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 04:21:48 PM »
In related news, we saw some travel sized c-paps advertised for $699. This might be a smart way to go.

Something else about c-paps. At first, they feel like a firehose stuffed up your nose. It really doesn't take long to get used to them. They really adapt to your breathing style and just help keep it regular. It's not like an iron lung. Also, it can be tricky and take some experimentation to get a good mask fit. Once you get it right, the machine is barely audible.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!