Author Topic: Quilt recommendations  (Read 2473 times)

yuka

• Bristles
Quilt recommendations
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
DW and I just moved to Southern California,and we've discovered that our LL Bean comforter, summer comforter though it may be, is very much overkill here.

Now we're looking to buy a quilt, and nothing online is telling me where to look for good ones. We've been on Overstock and Wayfair, but I'm sceptical of getting anything nice for only $100-150. Also, I don't know what makes for a nice quilt. But I'll bet lots of people here do!

So, what should I be looking for? And where should I be looking?

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Quilt recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
Define "quilt"?

I take the comforter off the bed in the summer, and only use a quilted topper, but we fold it down to the foot of the bed at night and only sleep under the top sheet. I am positive that the one I have cost under $100, because I would never in a million years pay more than that for a bedspread. I wash it every so often and it seems fine.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:04:12 PM »
There are people who make quilts, who scoff at the things sold in stores.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/    a message board where quilters discuss - quilting!  There are quilt shows around the country, where you see see what quilters have made. Just browse around the site and I suspect you'll get plenty of resources.  Ask about quilt makers and shows in whatever part of CA you're in.

Do a Google search of 'quilt'  Pinterest has a lot of eye candy too!

having someone make a quilt for you allows you to have one made exactly the way you want.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »
Why do you need a blanket at all in the summer? Use a light topsheet.

If you have to have a blanket (I do for sensory issues), then find a light breathable fabric like cotton. I would check discount stores or thrift stores as there are folks all the time dumping pretty duvets/blankets when the redecorate. I have also seen nice quality cotton blankets at places like Big Lots, Walmart or Target that cost around $50 or less. Overstock and Wayfair are going to be closeouts on fancypants name brands mostly - you might find a sale price on name brand stuff there that would more expensive than any regular priced non-name brand items that would be of similar quality. (bargains sometimes happen, but why bother when you could go to the discount stores and find comparable quality without the name brand pricing and sometimes find super sales on those same non name brands?)

Natural fiber blankets (queen sized as that seems to be the most common):

https://www.target.com/p/chambray-linen-blend-quilt-threshold-153/-/A-53001594?preselect=52896274#lnk=sametab
^fancy pants for $55 on sale!

https://www.target.com/p/stripe-raine-reversible-quilt-set-3pc-marble-hill-174/-/A-52270687?preselect=52255384#lnk=sametab
^fun colorful REVERSEABLE coverlet/shams on sale for $30!

If you don't mind polyester (it might sleep "hotter" but you'll have more patterns/choices for cheaper):

https://www.target.com/p/solid-color-bed-quilt-yorkshire-home/-/A-51658553?preselect=52513304#lnk=sametab
^lightweight and some colors are currently $20 on sale! You literally could buy two of them for less than $50 and have different colors, or have your own personal quilt (just fold the second one neatly across the foot of the bed when making it - that's how the husband and I roll anyway - separate blankets rock!)

https://www.target.com/p/black-floral-paddock-shawl-quilt-set-3pc-traditions-by-waverly-174/-/A-52047737?preselect=52034391#lnk=sametab
^fancy tole black/cream pattern and even includes the pillow shams for $28 on sale!

If you're determined to have a name brand (LL Bean BLANKET for goodness sake? WTF?) then sure, you'll pay more for the stupid label. But understand that's why you're gonna be paying more, not because the blanket is more blanket-ier. And then consider facing-punching yourself for need to sleep under blankets that have fancy labels and spending high $$ to do so.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:32:16 PM by Frankies Girl »

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »
Cool, thanks for all the recommendations. I had no grounding on what was a reasonable price range. Now I do.

windypig

• Stubble
  • You are what you hate.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
goodwill or the like has an abundance of blankets quilts etc

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 11:34:50 PM »
Do you want a quilt, or a "quilt"?  (I'm a quilter, both by hand and by machine... there is a difference between a quilt and a "quilt").

If you just want a store bought "quilt", go to JC Penney and get one when they are on sale.  I think I paid about $25 for a simple, light weight "quilt" about 17 years ago when I got divorced, and it has held up well.  "JC Penney Home Collection", part polyester, part cotton.  (I haven't made a quilt for my own bed yet, so still using one of the cheap ones).  Avoid Walmart stuff, I've heard those fall apart in a year or two.  Mine has been washed regularly, has not worn or torn.

If you want a quilt, but don't want to pay a ton (they can take hundreds of hours to complete-- my hand quilted baby size quilt has over 100 hours into it), see if you can find one in a thrift store, estate sale, classified ad, senior center (we sell hand made quilts for a steal at ours, but they are only lap size and child size).  Even better, join a group and make your own ;)

IMO, you're not going to find a high quality quilt in a retail store.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »
I like down alternative comforters. Soft, lightweight, yet warm when it needs to be. No messing with feathers like real down. Got mine for $30-something from Kmart and felt the quality was way better than the $60 one from Kohls that I quickly returned when it started falling apart after 1 wash.

If u want luxury,  nothing beats silk. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter, weighs practically nothing, takes no space, and feels incredible. My mom bought us silk comforters from China and I loved them. I had to give mine up after 10 years though :(

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!