Author Topic: Pressure cooker recommendations?  (Read 6548 times)

Alchemisst

• Bristles
Pressure cooker recommendations?
« on: May 31, 2019, 06:46:04 PM »
Am looking at getting a pressure cooker, I've never used one before so not really sure what to look for? I am thinking electric would be easiest to use as you don't need to monitor it like a stovetop one? Any thoughts on this one?

https://www.tefal.com.au/c/Cook4me-Black/p/7211001255

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Pressure cooker recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
Get the Instant Pot. We have one which DW swears by!

The 6 qt one is on sale on Amazon for $69.99 (from $99.99). This is in the US, so dont know how Oz prices would be.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »
If you can't find an Instant Pot in Australia, Breville makes the same thing but calls it a Fast Slow Cooker.

Alchemisst

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:40:52 PM »
Thanks, what's the different between the instant pot and a pressure cooker?

BrassyLass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
The Instant Pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker. I got one last year and I absolutely love it. I've had a stove top pressure cooker for years and the IP is so much better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 04:11:41 AM »
The Instant Pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker. I got one last year and I absolutely love it. I've had a stove top pressure cooker for years and the IP is so much better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Instant Pot is just an electric pressure cooker (and also slow cooker - I believe they're called multi cookers) - it's a brand name.  There are many other brands.  I got a Cosori multicooker which is very similar to the Instant Pot but way cheaper at least here in Europe and it's great.  They appear to be sold in Australia:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Premium-Programmable-Multi-Cooker-Pressure-Steamer/dp/B07414FZLW

I also own a stove top pressure cooker which is fine.  TBH I use the electric one a lot more because it's less scary and you don't need to watch it all the time.  With the basic stove top PC I had I was always scared that something might go wrong with disastrous consequences.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 05:34:45 AM »
I have a Power Pressure Cooker from Costco, about half the price of an Instant Pot, but fewer capabilities, which isn't a big deal if you aren't trying to make yogurt or wine in it.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
The Instant Pot is great: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice maker, yogurt maker (super easy!), warming dish. It has freed up a ton of cabinet space as we've gotten rid of redundant appliances. And it's all automated - put that roast in when you have time and when it's done cooking it will keep it warm until you are ready.

The pressure of the IP is less than a traditional stove top pressure cooker, so it doesn't get as hot. For this reason, if you are planning on canning then I would stick with a traditional stove top. For me this wasn't an issue, don't care to risk blowing myself up only to risk botulism :) But to each their own I suppose.

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »
Do you like to drive a stick shift or a manual transmission?  Instapots can do great things, but they may not give the best results on more delicate foods like fresh veggies that are easily overcooked. Stovetop pressure cookers, like a manual transmission, are a bit more work to use, but offer more control in certain areas (though less in others like electronic timing).  A good stainless steel stovetop model may last quite a bit longer than a kitchen gadget that relies on electronics and a heating coil.

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 07:30:22 PM »
I've got an Instant Pot and use it regularly. I only use 2 settings saute and manual.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 08:07:51 PM »
Instant pot.  6 or 8 qt version.  Smaller ones are not as useful, IMO.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 09:05:56 PM »
I love my stovetop pressure cooler, and it doesn't explode like older versions used to. If you found one used, I'd go that route.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »
OMG, I have had my IP for over a year and have had major problems with getting the pressure to come up. I have cursed it and very discouraged with it. It would take around 50 minutes for it to start cooking. I was like what the hell! Instant pot my ass!

Okay, so today I found out what the problem was. The pressure valve has a silicone gasket thing to hold the pressure regulator in place. I never knew what the silicone thing was and lucky I didn't toss it out. I would just drop the pressure regulator in from the top and thought that was all I had to do. NOPE! I watched a YouTube video on why my IP is having trouble pressurizing and that silicone thing had not been placed on the end. OMG, I feel like an idiot and also feel like I made the most significant discovery in history too!

I just cooked 5 pounds of 'baked' potatoes in it and it took about 14 minutes to come up to pressure and 15 minutes to cook the potatoes. They came out perfect.

DUH, DUH, DUH to me!

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
I have a WMF (german top quality shit) and very happy. I don't really think it does anything that something for 1/3 the price can't do, but I got it for free. I prefer a regular stove-placed device. If I want to slow cook I use the oven or the sous vide circulator (another great device, btw).

Frankly any modern device will most likely do the trick. The truly ancient ones are a bit lacking in the safety department apparantly.

Mine isn't very big (5 liters I think, can't use the full volume so prob about 3 liters usable) but it covers my needs, it heats quickly on my induction cooktop and has never let me down.

bray144k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »
If you haven't bought anything yet, I also vote for the instant pot.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »
I bought a Lagostina stainless steel pressure cooker over fifteen years ago. Still in perfect condition even if we use it several times a week. I am not a fan of anything electric or that has electronic controls.

MusicLover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
There is also a device now out called a Ninja that can do pressure cooking, slow pot, AND can air fry foods as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 02:46:48 AM »
I have an instant pot purely because I prefer a stainless steel pot to a non-stick one but my previous Breville electric pressure cooker was also great and I used it all the time, and gave it to a friend when my husband bought the IP.

I agree that you can be more exact with a stove top cooker but I love the ability to walk away from an electric one.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
We used stovetop pressure cookers until we discovered the Instant Pot in 2013. You can set it & do other things, while a stovetop PC requires constant monitoring to keep the heat adjusted for proper pressure and won't shut off automatically.

Get at least a 6 quart unit because you can actually only pressure cook 3-4 quarts in it.

Get an extra inner pot for the Instant Pot, available from Amazon. You can do your main cook or a side & keep it warm on the stove while making the other one in the PC. It also doubles as an extra mixing bowl.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 10:04:35 AM »
while a stovetop PC requires constant monitoring to keep the heat adjusted for proper pressure and won't shut off automatically.

No it doesn't. That's the idea of the valve in the lid. It releases steam to maintain a certain pressure (which means a certain temperature). Otherwise it would explode in a Very Nasty Way. I keep it on high until it has reached the proper preassure, then lower the heat on the stove and leave it there until it's finished.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »
Another vote for the Instant Pot. I use it regularly. I especially love the browning/sauté feature, so that I don’t have to use a second pan for browning ahead of time. I also love that it’s a slow cooker and pressure cooker, so I don’t need a crock pot and pressure cooker.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »
while a stovetop PC requires constant monitoring to keep the heat adjusted for proper pressure and won't shut off automatically.

No it doesn't. That's the idea of the valve in the lid. It releases steam to maintain a certain pressure (which means a certain temperature). Otherwise it would explode in a Very Nasty Way. I keep it on high until it has reached the proper preassure, then lower the heat on the stove and leave it there until it's finished.

You manually lower the heat on the stove after pressure is reached and you must wait around, at least for initial cooks, to make sure the pressure will be maintained properly at the lower heat setting. Then you must set a timer and stop the heat when it's finished. Electric pressure cookers like the Instant Pot automate all of this.

Today's pressure cookers are designed to blow out the ring seal rather than explode if the pressure is allowed to become too high.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
It's still a long way from "constant monitoring". An instant pot might be easier to operate (I've never tried) but using a PC ain't complicated and doesn't require constant attention or any meaningful amount of labor or attention. It's very easy.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »
It's still a long way from "constant monitoring". An instant pot might be easier to operate (I've never tried) but using a PC ain't complicated and doesn't require constant attention or any meaningful amount of labor or attention. It's very easy.

I still use our stovetop PCs, especially the 12 quart one. But for a first time user, especially one who is an inexperienced cook, I'd recommend an electric. I purchased our first Instant Pot for our then college son who was moving into his first apartment; it has a small footprint and eliminates other appliances like a slow cooker, rice cooker, food steamer, and even a popcorn maker (if no microwave).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
The Saute and Slow Cook features are nice to have with the Instant Pot because you can pre-cook your onions or whatever without getting an extra pot dirty. (Slow Cook works only on the very highest setting and only if you allow all day.)

I got mine on Craigslist for $48.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
I'm addicted to pressure cooking!  I have several units, b/c I scored some great deals and b/c if one of them goes, I didn't want to wait for another good deal, as I use mine at least 4x/week.

I didn't buy into the InstantPot craze, so my first unit was a GoWiseUSA 6 qt multi-cooker, that is still going strong 7 years later.  Purchased for $60, shipping included, brand new.  It has a non-stick pot, which was great up until a few weeks ago, when I noticed what looked like peeling, so I replaced it with a stainless steel liner I had scored a deal ($12) on a while back. 

I am loving my latest purchase, which is the Insignia 6 qt model, available today at BestBuy for $30 - and it goes on sale for this price very often.  I've purchased several of these units at that price for friends, and they all love it as much as I do.  From what I've read, it's made in the same factory as the InstantPot, and it looks nearly identical to one of the older models (Lux, I think?).  It does have a non-stick liner, but I prefer that option.

Btw, I've done head to head competitions with both units, and third off-brand model I scored at Home Depot for $20, and all three of them do the job perfectly.  My test was brown rice, and all three units delivered perfect brown rice at 22 minutes, and their timers were all very very close, no more than 30 seconds apart.  the only reason I don't recommend the  off-brand Home Depot unit is b/c of poor design - I don't use any of the auto buttons, I just select my times to cook and go - and this model only has an up button, not a down button, so if I'm making hard-boiled eggs, this unit defaults a 30 minutes, and I have to go up to 12 hours before I can get to 0, and then set the cook time for 6 minutes.  Not a huge deal, but really, stupid design!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
OMG, I have had my IP for over a year and have had major problems with getting the pressure to come up. I have cursed it and very discouraged with it. It would take around 50 minutes for it to start cooking. I was like what the hell! Instant pot my ass!

Okay, so today I found out what the problem was. The pressure valve has a silicone gasket thing to hold the pressure regulator in place. I never knew what the silicone thing was and lucky I didn't toss it out. I would just drop the pressure regulator in from the top and thought that was all I had to do. NOPE! I watched a YouTube video on why my IP is having trouble pressurizing and that silicone thing had not been placed on the end. OMG, I feel like an idiot and also feel like I made the most significant discovery in history too!

I just cooked 5 pounds of 'baked' potatoes in it and it took about 14 minutes to come up to pressure and 15 minutes to cook the potatoes. They came out perfect.

DUH, DUH, DUH to me!

I used to experience slowness getting it up to pressure, and will research this silicone thing.  But what I also read somewhere that helps enormously and makes everything cook quickly.... use the saute function to get the pan hot, then set it to manual or low pressure, or whatever you want.  It gets up to pressure very quickly doing that.