Author Topic: Please help me find a new, durable PURSE like this one!  (Read 5210 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Please help me find a new, durable PURSE like this one!
« on: May 02, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »
I, like many people, struggle to find a purse I like that fits my needs. About four years ago, I found the one in the picture, which was relatively inexpensive and a style I really like.

Well, fast forward to now, it’s showing enough wear that I need to replace it. And because it’s not good quality/real leather, repairing it isn’t an option.

I want to find a new purse that’s as close to this as possible, but high quality so I can keep it basically forever, repairing it and maintaining it as needed. Price is not a big concern because if I found the right one, using it for the next two or three decades (assuming I don’t die, of course) will make it worth the expense.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:13:09 PM by Kris »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Please help me find a new, durable PURSE like this one!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:44:16 PM »
Most mainstream stores are now selling vinyl purses made to look like leather.  Occasionally you see bonded leather which does not wear.  Real leather purses have become luxury items, often selling for $200 or more.  Lots of those are poorly made as well.  I have been told that older ones turn up in thrift stores fairly often, so you might try that.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »
You want a hobo bag with pockets.

This one, in leather, made by Coach, is on eBay right now. I have Coach bags that are 30 years old and in perfect condition, but I treat them with conditioner every six months.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
Ditto on buying used Coach bags. My mother was always on the lookout for used Coach purses and gave me several over the years. One I still use every day. They don't break or wear out, and if they do break or wear out Coach will fix them.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »
Thank you for the used Coach suggestion! It does seem like the way to go. I'm looking around on Poshmark, Etsy, etc. The one PBKmaine posted is almost perfect, except I want brown. And the only other issue I'm running across so far is I'd like to have a longer strap than a lot of them have. I like them to hang longer in case I want to wear it crossbody.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »
I was also going to suggest Coach hobo bags! I've had one since the early aughts that is still holding up pretty well (corners are a little rough). It was the only purse I carried for about a decade.

I'm sloppy with the treating - usually just take it to a coach store and have them do it (if I can remember to do it).

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:37 PM »
It looks like the strap clips to the D-rings on the corners: if you really need a longer strap you can probably have one made at a cobbler near you. Or some place that does leatherwork...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 12:14:04 AM »
As a short person who doesn't like wearing cross-bodys, most of the Coach straps run long. The older bags also respond really well to rehabbing - *amazing* rehab threads and advice on The Purse Forum btw- which opens up a lot of options in terms of bags and budgets.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
Wait...do tell me more about maintaining Coach bags. My father bought me one a few years ago and I love it. But only carry it very occasionally.  But am terrible about maintaining or caring for it.

I do want it to stay in good condition though. I call it my "gallery piece" haha. Most of my other purses are from thrift stores other than my carry everywhere travel purse which I splurged $30 on.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 02:08:35 AM »
Wait...do tell me more about maintaining Coach bags. My father bought me one a few years ago and I love it. But only carry it very occasionally.  But am terrible about maintaining or caring for it.

I do want it to stay in good condition though. I call it my "gallery piece" haha. Most of my other purses are from thrift stores other than my carry everywhere travel purse which I splurged $30 on.

Honestly? A well made bag is made to be used. They get softer and better with age and use, as long as you care for them.

Care depends on the type of bag/leather/colour. The old unlined Coach bags can handle soaking to clean and then condition using a leather balm. Lots of examples: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.624452/page-8

Overall, it's hard to go wrong just using a leather conditioner once or twice a year, store in a cotton dustbag, don't let them get mildew-y. Use a good leather conditioner - not lanolin or wax based. Bick 4/ Apple/ Leather Milk are all good products.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »

I'm sloppy with the treating - usually just take it to a coach store and have them do it (if I can remember to do it).

So they'll treat it for you if you bring it in? That's cool :)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
There are leather cleaners for handbags. I find, though, that if I treat them regularly with leather conditioner, they seem to be impervious to spots. If there is a scrape, I try conditioner first, and if the scrape still shows, I use shoe polish.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »

Elaine: I just ordered some leather conditioner from Coach, and I mention this because they have a discount until the end of the day today.

https://www.coach.com/shop/women-accessories-product-care

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 05:39:46 PM »
Hey, just wanted to thank everyone! My used Coach bag came in the mail today, and I am really happy with it -- and especially happy that I only spent $45 instead of $300! It's pretty much exactly what I want. I'm so glad I asked you all for recommendations. This might literally be my main bag for the rest of my life. Here's hoping.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:43:17 PM by Kris »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 06:08:19 PM »
Photos or it didn’t happen!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
Ladies, I need your help. I used to sell Coach products at Nordstrom, so I totally appreciate their quality. Recently, I bought one at a consignment store. See Photo. The condition looked great. What I failed to notice is that the shyster seller had taken a badly worn bag and polished it. The back of the bag is fine, the front, especially the front edges, are badly worn. As in, the finish is worn off on the edges. Leather conditioner isn't going to cut it. I'm considering buying black shoe dye, but I'm a little worried it will rub off. Any suggestions?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
Try black shoe polish first. If you buff it well enough, it should not rub off on your clothes.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
Photos or it didn’t happen!

:)

Here’s the one I bought. (Note: this is the seller’s pic from the original listing.) I’m already conditioning it to make it look as close to new as I can!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Nice!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
It's lovely Kris

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
Try black shoe polish first. If you buff it well enough, it should not rub off on your clothes.
Yeah, but that's what the seller did and it didn't last. I got the bright idea of buying the one in the photo I found, but alas, it's no longer available. Boo-Hoo, MPP.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 04:42:09 AM »
Hey, just wanted to thank everyone! My used Coach bag came in the mail today, and I am really happy with it -- and especially happy that I only spent $45 instead of $300! It's pretty much exactly what I want. I'm so glad I asked you all for recommendations. This might literally be my main bag for the rest of my life. Here's hoping.

Well done @Kris, it will last until you are tired of it!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 06:57:35 AM »
Yeah, but that's what the seller did and it didn't last. I got the bright idea of buying the one in the photo I found, but alas, it's no longer available. Boo-Hoo, MPP.

Then try dye, but tape off the purse parts and just do the binding.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 07:12:18 AM »
This thread is great! I have two older coach bags that I love, and got both at consignment shops for $30-$40 dollars. I have an older coach bucket bag in brown leather, and it is SO functional. I use it almost every day and hope to have it forever. Last week I just picked up the other bag, a brown leather courier bag that is big enough to fit my 15" laptop! For $40! I saw one on Ebay later for $350, so I think I got a good deal. It does have a small pen mark on the front which I don't care too much about, but thanks to this posts cleaning forum suggestions I might try to clean it up anyway.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:33 AM »
For more care ideas, this forum was referenced upthread:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:45:47 AM by pbkmaine »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 01:04:20 AM »
Inspired by this thread, I went to Target to buy shoe dye. (Note: I hate Target. I especially hate Targets that are undergoing massive renovations.) The closest parking space to the door was miraculously available. I entered the store, having no idea where to find shoe dye. I looked at the (temporary) customer service desk and there was not a single customer in line. I asked where to find shoe dye. After consulting a co-worker, she pointed to the newly relocated shoe department. Literally about fifteen steps away. I didn't see the shoe dye, but there was actually a team member working in the shoe aisle. She didn't know if they specifically had shoe dye, but showed me where it would be if they did. Lo and behold, there was a whole row of black show dye. Unfortunately, there was no shelf tag, but I grabbed it anyway. I walked to the self check and there was no line. I rang up my purchase, which came to a whopping $4.19. Then I exited the store, got into my car and drove away. The whole trip took no more than five minutes. And I bought nothing but the shoe dye I went there for. It's a Target Miracle. Or to be more precise, a string of Target Miracles. Unbelievable!

I came home and dyed my Coach bag. Dyed the heels on a pair of rummage saled Ferragamo slingback pumps that I love while I was at it. They both look great. I don't know how long it will last, but I have a whole bottle of black shoe dye now. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread! I love this community!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:06:35 AM by Dicey »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2019, 02:27:26 AM »
My Coach soft satchel finally turned up. Gosh it is lovely. Just the lushest burgundy leather and actually in very good nick. I don't even think it needs cleaning or conditioning. I'll brush out the inside and hold off on the cleaning for now.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »
@Kris that looks like such a lovely, easy to use everyday comfy purse.

I sure wish I had bought something like that instead of the fancier dressy purse I bought. It was a present from my father and he really wanted me to have something bigger and more eye catching. I love my very beautiful purse (a lovely work purse)...but it is not so functional now that I am FIREd since it doesn't quite go with running shoes and flip flops haha!! I probably only have occasion to carry it maybe a few times a year now.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
Just checking in to thank everyone AGAIN who suggested a used Coach bag. Damn, I love this thing -- and I especially love that I feel like I'm sort of "done" buying bags, because I know this one will last. It's awesome.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 08:11:20 PM »
Just checking in to thank everyone AGAIN who suggested a used Coach bag. Damn, I love this thing -- and I especially love that I feel like I'm sort of "done" buying bags, because I know this one will last. It's awesome.
Funny, I was just noticing my bag today. I am really pleased with the way the leather took the dye. Thanks for starting this thread, because it motivated me to get off my ass and go buy some leather dye. Which reminds me, that's the last time I set foot in Target, which is also a good thing. I bet I've done 50 thrift store stops since then, which makes me oddly proud. I should clarify that we're flipping a house and my budget to furnish the entire house is  $1/sf, so thrift stores, NextDoor and Craigslist are my friends these days. Not Target.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 09:11:14 PM »
Funny, I was just noticing my bag today. I am really pleased with the way the leather took the dye. Thanks for starting this thread, because it motivated me to get off my ass and go buy some leather dye. Which reminds me, that's the last time I set foot in Target, which is also a good thing. I bet I've done 50 thrift store stops since then, which makes me oddly proud. I should clarify that we're flipping a house and my budget to furnish the entire house is  $1/sf, so thrift stores, NextDoor and Craigslist are my friends these days. Not Target.

Good for you. I try never to go into Target. Could not tell you the last time I was in that place.