Author Topic: NYC vacation - travel recommendations please  (Read 2075 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
NYC vacation - travel recommendations please
« on: April 29, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
Hey folks,

Our family is starting to plan a NYC trip in mid-June.

We're driving there but not planning to drive while there. We're looking for decent places to stay with parking. Don't mind riding the trains into the city each day but obviously, we don't want to spend hours commuting into the city. Also don't want to park our out of state plates vehicle on the street for a week.

We've looked at places within the city and places around the city (bouroughs) and could really use some guidance. I know some folks live there or travel there often (well, more than my once in a lifetime).

Thanks!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: NYC vacation - travel recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
Parking in NYC is never cheap. If i were you, I'd park the car in NJ and take the train into the city. I travel in from Hamilton, NJ, and you can park there for $10/day - https://www.nexusparkingsystems.com/hamilton-station-park-ride.cfm

As for where to stay, that depends so much on budget and what you like to do. Here's a guide to some neighborhoods with pros and cons - https://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-york-city/hotels/neighborhoods

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »
Parking in NYC is never cheap. If i were you, I'd park the car in NJ and take the train into the city. I travel in from Hamilton, NJ, and you can park there for $10/day - https://www.nexusparkingsystems.com/hamilton-station-park-ride.cfm

A friend of mine does something similar, parking at the Stamford CT train station (he's coming from New England). I don't think he cares about the money so much as not wanting to deal with a car and city traffic.

If you really want to park in the city but are having a hard time finding a hotel with parking at a reasonable rate, you might try some of the parking garage chains - some of them have coupons you can download ahead of time to get a better rate.

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early Retirement or BUST
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:32:01 AM »
Watch an Anthony Bourdain show or two to get primed on NYC eats. That'd be my first chore.

Are there any worthwhile Airbnb options?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 07:36:31 AM »
When I lived in the city my best friend lived in Jersey City, which is literally across the river from Manhattan and a couple of stops on the PATH train.  She used to park her car on the street and never had problems.  So if I were you, I'd look for an AirBNB in JC or maybe Hoboken or another part of NJ where you can park the car and then take the PATH a couple of stops to Manhattan.  Should also be a lot cheaper than an AirBNB in NYC.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 08:15:17 AM »
Thank you all so much. I think we'll look at New Jersey hotel or AirBnB type options and then ride the train into the city.