Author Topic: Non-depressing news/daily podcast?  (Read 2534 times)

Reddleman

• Stubble
Non-depressing news/daily podcast?
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
I'm increasingly finding that my daily commute with NPR/BBC leaves me pretty depressed, but hey, it's better than talk radio!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a regular news podcast that I could replace it with that would give me information about how the world is not such a horrible place?

Not the "you're wonderful, and I am too!!" or "how to make your life better" variety.  Just a look at current events without the endless pessimism. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Non-depressing news/daily podcast?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »
Stay away from the news (and especially any kind of insipid talk radio).  I exclusively listen to audiobooks while driving.  For some reason it helps me calm down and keep my cool.  Currently working my way through the life's work of Robert Heinlein.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:56:13 AM by GuitarStv »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
I think that's not a problem with a pessimistic outlook, it's a problem with the world.

Seconding what GuitarStv said, the easiest solution is just not to listen to the news at all. I tend to play random non-news non-educational podcasts on my laptop when driving.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »
I glanced at TV the other day and saw Shepard Smith of Fox News on the screen and the thought occurred to me how insane it must be to be a news anchor today, reporting garbage day in and day out. I almost giggled out loud as the image of a news anchor sitting in their dressing room muttering to themselves about having to recite crap news all the time popped into my head.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
I don't listen to podcasts (my brother promises me that once I get into it, I will love them but I'm not there yet :) ) but if you think you'd be able to cope with an Irish (specifically Limerick, in case that means anything to you) accent, the Blindboy Boatclub podcast is supposed to be really good. Self-described (but listeners seem to agree) as a "podcast hug" once a week. I had already written all that before realising that you're looking for a news podcast, which this isn't really. But finishing your commute having been hugged sounds better than being depressed so maybe for a once a week change, it might be nice.

I do think I read that he intends them to each follow one from the other so you should start at the beginning. Here's a link to the first one, from October last year: https://www.acast.com/blindboy/didyoureadabouterskinefogarty-

Or maybe start getting the audio version of the Economist?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
Not daily, but very funny: Greg Proops's Smartest Man in the World podcast. He tells stories and jokes, talks about the news (he calls this "the boring preachy part"), and honors artists and other beautiful people who are now "swirling in the heavens." I don't know what I'd do without him!

(FYI he's extremely liberal and feminist which I love but not all will.)

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
since i made the conscious decision to swap music for news/talk radio, my outlook and daily joy has improved radically. no turning back now.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 07:29:16 PM »
I used to be a news junkie, but cut out 99% of non-local news on 4/1 and haven’t looked back.

If you want some semblance of what’s going on, NPR has a number of news-adjacent podcasts that are not quite the 24-hour cycle, but refer to it. Planet Money, 99% Invisible, etc.

Or just go with entertainment. Commit to four hours of study before each Election Day if it helps you feel like an involved citizen.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »
I used to be a news junkie, but cut out 99% of non-local news on 4/1 and haven’t looked back.

If you want some semblance of what’s going on, NPR has a number of news-adjacent podcasts that are not quite the 24-hour cycle, but refer to it. Planet Money, 99% Invisible, etc.

Or just go with entertainment. Commit to four hours of study before each Election Day if it helps you feel like an involved citizen.

Something about the way you phrased that reminded me of this thread from a couple of months ago about a nytimes article following a man who just decided to stop following news entirely after the 2016 election. Seems like it isn't actually harming him in any way and sounds like a pretty peaceful and appealing life (although, like you I think it would be important to spend some time catching up and educating yourself before elections):

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/the-man-who-knew-too-little/