Author Topic: Need recs on electric lawnmower and trimmer  (Read 3806 times)

Rogue Dad, M.D.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rogue Dad, M.D.
Need recs on electric lawnmower and trimmer
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »
Hi all

I'm considering taking the money I pay a lawn service and investing in an electric mower and trimmer -- fully battery powered, no cords.

I have about 1/3 of an acre -- part of the backyard is a hill, so something that doesn't weigh a ton would be great for going up/down it.

What are people's thoughts on whether the current products out there are adequate for the job, battery life, and recommended products?  I probably spent close to $1000 on a lawn service last year, so I figure I can spend way less than that for my own equipment and save money fairly quickly doing it on my own.

To add -- I'm a relative newbie when it comes to mowing lawns.  My previous house was a small home in a city with a super tiny lot that I could use a pure manual push mower (complete old school).  I have zero experience with gas or other types of mowers.  I left that behind for the next owner to use in the yard.  The owner of this home left behind a gas mower that I haven't tried out yet but which is fairly old and supposedly works. 

But I'd rather donate it to charity and go electric and not bother with the maintenance and hassle of a gas mower.  Though the more experienced of you out there may think that's backwards -- let me know.

My oldest kid is 9 -- what's the right age to start having a kid safely mow a lawn from your all perspective?  I was thinking another couple years, but am curious what others do.  I am a pediatric ER doctor so get paranoid about kids around lawnmowers -- I've seen some nasty injuries, and am generally risk averse when it comes to kids being around sharp objects.

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Need recs on electric lawnmower and trimmer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »
I have the Ego line of weed eater and blower and have been very pleased for the last 3+ years. I don't have the mower because my old gas mower hasn't died yet. A neighbor bought the mower last summer and likes it.

The batteries are 56v so not as high powered as gas but powered enough to do just about everything I need on my 1/3rd acre lot. I have a lot to edge so sometimes the battery dies before I finish but I have 2 batteries so it never is a problem. They fully charge within 30 minutes I believe.

I started mowing when I was 12 years old. I might have been able to start a little earlier but I had an older brother who did it.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
Depending on the kind of grass you have you might be able to get by with a reel mower. I bought one used and it works well except parts of the yard where there are sticks.

We tend to rotate between a traditional mulching gas mower and the reel. I love using a reel mower with sharp blades and well adjusted. No dust, no super sonic debris being flung all over. I also have a 1/3 acre lot.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
I've had my gas powered lawn mower for 12 years.  I put stabil in it every fall and change the oil as scheduled.  The maintenance on a 4 cycle mower is pretty minimal.

If the mower they left you works, I'd use it or consider buying another gas mower (or a reel if that's your thing).  I have many battery powered tools and the batteries don't last 12 years (or more as my mower is still going strong).

MW

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
I agree with Midwest - lawn mowers will put up with alot of neglect. If the house came with a mower I would use it until it gave out.

Mine is stored outside under a shed. Its dry and that is all. Fresh gas, maybe an oil change every other year. It is many years old now. The mower deck will rot out before the engine fails.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:56:02 PM by Just Joe »

Rogue Dad, M.D.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rogue Dad, M.D.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'll see if I can get the gas mower working.  I'm fairly stupid when it comes to engines so I probably need to watch some videos or get someone who knows what they are doing to show me.  I know the batteries won't last a decade on an electric mower, but maybe Tesla has me seduced into thinking electric everything is better (no I don't actually own a Tesla).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 08:23:03 PM »
Make sure it is full of oil (normal level), take off the air cleaner, give it a shot of starter fluid or carb cleaner (available at any auto parts store) - and pull the starter rope.

It might start right up. This is not the best way to start it every time but you'll get it running and know if it is okay i.e. connecting rod isn't banging around on the crankshaft or the piston rings aren't worn out so bad that it is belching blue smoke.

You might find that with fresh gas and a little use that it starts up easily next time.

Maintenance: oil change, new air filter, fresh gas, new blade or old blade sharpened and balanced, maybe a new sparkplug or at least the old one cleaned.

Its unlikely but make sure that the engine is NOT a two cycle engine. It will last only minutes if it is not running gas/oil mix.

Look around where you are for a gas station that sells non-ethanol gasoline. All your small engines will thank you for that.

MoustacheDArgent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
I've had the EGO mower for three years now.  I have a large backyard so I bought an extra battery.   I've been very happy with it.  It's really nice not to have to go to the gas station when i want to mow the yard.  Other really nice advantages are no fumes and it's not nearly as loud.   One other nice perk is that it has a headlight you can turn on which is great when it's starting to get dark and you haven't finished mowing.    I don't see myself ever going back to a gas mower.   At the time I bought it, it had the most powerful battery of any electric mower available.  I don't know if that's still the case or not.

For my weed trimmer, I have a Ryobi 40V cordless electric that I've had at least 5 years and it still works great.   

Last year I bought the EGO backpack leaf blower and it works really well and uses the same batteries as the lawn mower.   I have a smaller handheld Ryobi that I use for small quick jobs, but when I really want some power I use the EGO Backpack Blower.

One great benefit of all of these is time savings.  Not having to mess with a cord or go to a gas station has really saved me time maintaining the yard.   Also, there are no regulations on lawn equipment emissions so they often pollute way more than a car.   If you've ever walked down the street while a lawn mowing service is working and gagged on the fumes you will understand.   It's nice to get away from that.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:55:40 PM »
I co-own an electric mower with a friend, and we've always done the corded ones due to the power issue and neither of us want to fuck around with gasoline. Neither of us is great and keeping up with things, so are semi-often mowing overgrown lawns. We're currently using the 20" Greenworks corded mower, and its great. The previous mower was effectively the same machine under a different brand name. Its failure point was enough rust that the motor/blade fell out the bottom.

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early Retirement or BUST
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 04:27:46 AM »
You can't go wrong with the Toro E-Cycler. Ours has gone almost ten years without a dip in battery performance. No cords, which is essential IMHO. Cost about $400 back then - maybe the price and battery are even better today?

You'll love how relatively quiet and completely fume-free this baby runs. Best suited for jobs that take an hour or less. Good luck!

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 10:50:16 PM »
I was skeptical of electric weed eaters, I remember my dad's awful corded one.  I worked in commercial lawn care and on golf courses when I was young and feel like I know a good weed eater.  I recently bought an electric weed eater and I have to say I am quite impressed by the E-go weed eater.  The only downside I can see is length of battery life.  I get plenty for our small yard but bigger jobs (over ~30 min at full power) and you are either waiting for a re-charge or need a second battery.

I had a hillside that had not been trimmed all summer and went at it with my weed eater and it worked as well as a power gas trimmer.  It uses .085 (?) string, it feeds easily and although I have not loaded it with string, it apparently has some advanced method that makes it easier than traditional string loading.  It even has a few benefits over gas trimmers.  1. There is no muffler to get hot and burn the back of your forearm over and over.  2. The weight and balance is superior to a gas powered weed eater.  It's very easy to use on steep hillsides and the handle is adjustable  3.  It can be stored in any position.  Gas trimmers can get flooded if they spend even a minute in the wrong position.  Electric trimmers can stay in any position, no such issues.  The 56 volt batteries are interchangeable between their various pieces of equipment.  I was skeptical but I've been convinced, they are good pieces of equipment.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
I have an EGO mower and bought an EGO trimmer without a battery pack, sharing the lawnmower battery. I was blown away with how much torque both products have. They are well-made products. I would suggest ordering the trimmer without a battery (on-line only) and saving your money for another heavy-duty battery in the future. If your yard is to big for one battery, just pop in the second one while recharging the first one.