Author Topic: Mustachian Socks Like "Smart Wool"?  (Read 10424 times)

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Socks Like "Smart Wool"?
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
I love smart wool socks, or anything smart wool, really, but they're ridiculously expensive. Any less expensive version of them you can suggest?

driftwood

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian Socks Like "Smart Wool"?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:13:11 PM »
They aren't less expensive, but Darn Tough socks have a LIFETIME warranty.  Over the last few years I've sent 6-7 pairs back to them and they get replaced for free. So the 8 pairs I got will last me until they run out of business.

*And I doubt regular use would've put holes in those socks. My holes were from my big toenail and the inside part of a steel toe boot constantly pressing against each other with the sock in between.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
I have no suggestions for alternatives, but I have some smart wool socks that have lasted me over 10 years. They are expensive but the sure to do last a long time.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
i found a bunch of them at nordstrom rack for $8.99 instead of the usual $15+.  bought 5 pairs and felt pretty guilty at first but over the next few days i thought if i buy them all now i'll never have to buy socks for at least 10 years.  so i have 5 new pairs in rotation, plus 3 old pairs, plus 7 pairs in my drawer waiting for the day they're needed.  yes it's a lot of money in socks up front, but using the buy and hold strategy i'll be in the money sooner or later.

also, NEVER put them in the dryer.  always hang-dry.

oh, and keep your toenails trimmed down.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:44:19 AM by MDfive21 »

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
I've heard good things about the wool socks at Costco

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
I've had several pairs of Smart Wool socks over the years (all different weights), but i've found them to lack durability. All of them have gotten holes in the toes very quickly for both me and my wife. We walk a lot, so maybe they aren't designed for walkers.

We've switched to Darn Tough socks and so far, we haven't had any complaints about them. Haven't had any replaced (yet), but i assume it will happen soon.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
They aren't less expensive, but Darn Tough socks have a LIFETIME warranty.  Over the last few years I've sent 6-7 pairs back to them and they get replaced for free. So the 8 pairs I got will last me until they run out of business.

*And I doubt regular use would've put holes in those socks. My holes were from my big toenail and the inside part of a steel toe boot constantly pressing against each other with the sock in between.

Second for Darn Tough. Not always about price. The socks hold up amazingly well for the price, and as mentioned have the lifetime warranty. I wore them thru-hiking the AT and only went through two pairs the whole time (2,100 miles).

benstagram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
I have some Minus33 brand merino stuff. They are a little cheaper than smartwool, and I've found the quality to be excellent. Sold on amazon

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »

I bought some of the Kirkland Trail Socks last winter (4 pack for $20) and like them a lot. The cushioned heel and toe are pretty awesome: both comfy and add a layer of reinforcement right where they tend to wear out. I tend to wear them around the house more than out walking though, so I haven't really tested them in shoes much.

nrossman89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »

I second this! Great experience with Darn Tough

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
wigwam and darn tough have both been worth the premium. Its pushing a decade since I have bought new socks. (no I have never used the darn tough warranty, they appear to simply just last longer)

pick colors you like :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 12:46:36 PM »
You can find Smartwool and I think Darn Tough, too, on REI Garage (outlet) or on SierraTradingPost.com sometimes for 30-50% off.... If you aren't picky about the color.

Costco wool hiking socks are good, but they don't have the *thinner* wool socks we like for hiking in SoCal summers.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
+1 to Costco wool socks, but if you wear them often without shoes/slippers (ie around the house), you'll end up with holes.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
+1 for getting Smart Wool socks on SierraTradingPost.com.

JLee

• Walrus Stache

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
I LOVE Costco trail socks.
These ones are my particular favorite:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q99AWQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are cheaper at the warehouse.

They do wear out after 3-4 years of constant wear.  I expect that.
I don't return my Darn Tough socks after that period of time either. It's unreasonable to expect wool socks to last the same duration of a human life. I just expect them to perform better than everything else I own.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:19:20 AM by I'm a red panda »

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »

Second for Darn Tough. Not always about price. The socks hold up amazingly well for the price, and as mentioned have the lifetime warranty. I wore them thru-hiking the AT and only went through two pairs the whole time (2,100 miles).

Any more experience with this warranty? I can positively destroy the heel of a sock.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »

Any more experience with this warranty? I can positively destroy the heel of a sock.

What do you want to know? Fill out the form, send in your worn out socks, receive a voucher code to order a new pair. There isn't much to it.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »

What do you want to know? Fill out the form, send in your worn out socks, receive a voucher code to order a new pair. There isn't much to it.
So, it doesn't have to come apart at the seam or anything, just general wear?

Sounds too good to be true. Seriously?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »

So, it doesn't have to come apart at the seam or anything, just general wear?

Sounds too good to be true. Seriously?

https://darntough.com/pages/our-guarantee

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 05:58:43 AM »
Do you have a Sierra Trading Post near you? I've found them at a fraction of the cost. Even cheaper for the "irregular" ones that did not seem any different to me. If not, a couple times a year they do free shipping w/o a minimum purchase that you can look for and stock up on when the time comes!

verfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »
+1 for Darn Tough

Me and DW have a dozen pairs between us, and they last years.

I have yet to take advantage of the warranty, because the damage is done by my dog who developed a habit of chewing socks left on the floor, they disappear into the laundry dimension, or I feel a Vermonter duty to throw some more money their way in appreciation.

I like the patterns and options as well, have some "dress" options, as well as ski boot and summer weight variants.

Along with ex-officio underwear, it's a wardrobe staple.

adventurestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Adventure Field Guide
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »
I agree that darn tough lives up to their hype. I was gifted a pair of smartwool socks a year ago and was disappointed with the feel and comfort compared to darn tough, especially when they're almost the same price. I figure, if you're going to spend a ridiculous amount on socks, you may as well get the best.

I've also returned a pair with no issues, one sock developed a hole after around 3 years. Super easy and quick, they processed it in only a week. Just an FYI, they don't send you a new copy of the same socks back. Rather, they give you store credit to buy a new pair on their website. Good if you want to buy a different pair than before, bad because shipping isn't free unless you buy 2 pairs.

The darn toughs are probably the most frugal option if you consistently utilize the warranty.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
Found a pair of SmartWool at a thrift store for $0.50 and am wearing them for the first time. They're okay, but Darn Tough are more comfortable and don't create irritating fuzzy bits between my toes the way these are doing.

Alex239

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
I've seen several people mention Costco trail socks (6 pair $18) but I really like the "WeatherProof" wool blend socks at Costco. They have just come back in stock seasonally at Costco. They do have a short sockcasual summer shoes and a taller sock. I have about 8 pairs. Cost is very reasonable at $9.99 for 4 pair. Sometimes on sale too. https://www.costco.com/Weatherproof-Men%E2%80%99s-Outdoor-Crew-Sock-4-pair.product.100162051.html

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
I've seen several people mention Costco trail socks (6 pair $18) but I really like the "WeatherProof" wool blend socks at Costco. They have just come back in stock seasonally at Costco. They do have a short sockcasual summer shoes and a taller sock. I have about 8 pairs. Cost is very reasonable at $9.99 for 4 pair. Sometimes on sale too. https://www.costco.com/Weatherproof-Men%E2%80%99s-Outdoor-Crew-Sock-4-pair.product.100162051.html
Just a heads up, these are mostly acrylic/polyester, and only 15% wool. Nothing wrong with that but not really comparable to Smartwool.

Alex239

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
Just a heads up, these are mostly acrylic/polyester, and only 15% wool. Nothing wrong with that but not really comparable to Smartwool.

Price Performance has been VERY GOOD for me. I have some smartwool ski socks yet have never purchased more due to price. The Weatherproof ones are great I've been cycling through the same like 8 or 10 pair for about 2 years now.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
I received two pairs of smartwool PhD socks Christmas of 2016.   I returned one pair and wore the other.    I don't like them, that much.  Last spring I bought two pairs of darn tough socks, both in wool and the other blend, for a long hike.

Both pairs are hands down my favorites.  I like the wool in winter and the synthetic in the summer.   They are lasting much better through the wash.   I even wear darn tough everyday, now, and the smart wool ones just sit there in the drawer so I will likely just give them to my daughter.

This is the type of sock that I only need a couple of pairs of, as I need dress sor no ocks some days,and  can wear the darn tough for more than one day in a row (they are amazing / don't smell, etc).

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »
This is the type of sock that I only need a couple of pairs of, as I need dress sor no ocks some days,and  can wear the darn tough for more than one day in a row (they are amazing / don't smell, etc).

Haven't worn darn tough for long so I can't comment on durability yet, but I've worn the same pair every day for the last month. No washing yet and they still pass the smell test.* That includes a few trips to the gym and getting wet from running around in wet grass. When wet, they had a little funk, but after drying they smelled fresh again. I should add that I don't think my feet smell much in general and I wear regular cotton socks for 3-5 days before washing. Still though, I'm impressed.

*not just according to me

getmoneyeatpizza

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
costco hands down best socks

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »

A staple for us.  Great value.

I just noticed some new ones in slightly different colors than before.

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
The Kirkland Signature Trail Socks (Merino wool/poly blend ~80/20) are simply the best. I have never tried Smart Wool, but have felt them in the stores and they seem kind of thin. For $3-4 bucks a pair, the Costco ones can't be beat.

ThePlatypus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
If you are patient enough to wait for the style/color you want you can pick up a pair of "2nds" at Sierra Trading Post

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/2nds~g~2314/
"These are items with barely perceptible blemishes or slight irregularities that do not affect fit, performance or longevity such as an error in the stitching or a slight fading of the product’s color. Labels on 2nds are usually clipped or marked by the manufacturer, and 2nds are often offered at lower prices."

Smartwool link:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/2nds~g~2314/smartwool~b~19440/

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »

+1 - recently I threw out all of my old worn down socks and bought 10 pairs of Darn Tough. It cost me 330 USD which felt sick for socks, but so far I'm very happy about them and as long as the lifetime warranty holds up the ROI should be good when I die.

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 12:48:52 AM »
The Kirkland Signature Trail Socks (Merino wool/poly blend ~80/20) are simply the best. I have never tried Smart Wool, but have felt them in the stores and they seem kind of thin. For $3-4 bucks a pair, the Costco ones can't be beat.
Just bought the Kirkland Signature Trail Socks. They are perfect for wearing on my cold tire floors in the California winters.
I bought low-rise Smart Wool socks for traveling in Europe. I took two pairs and washed them as needed (wool does not get stinky like cotton does), and wool socks air dry much faster, too. I bought them for my boyfriend and children, and they love them, too.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 06:51:01 PM »

I also love the Costco Merino wool blend trail socks, just for general wintertime wear.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 10:57:59 PM »
Hahaha, remembering this thread, I showed those socks to DH when he was at Costco with me.  His response? "I'm fine, I have plenty of socks." Whatta guy! His sock drawer is mostly full of socks i buy for him at the annual White Elephant Sale. I probably never pay more than 2-3 bucks. I can always spot the good quality socks (a spillover benefit of selling men's clothes at Nordstrom for a decade) and typically score a couple pair each year. I scored his beautiful tuxedo there too, but that's another story.

Better still, I get in free on presale days with a friend who's a docent at the Museum the sale benefits and we park free at one of my old customer's store nearby. Also, one drives, the other brings lunch and snacks. There's a 10% premium charged on presale days, but it's worth it to avoid the crowds.

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »
Ocean State Job Lot has 80/20 merino/synthetic socks sold under names like Adventure and Mountain Lodge. Very reasonable $ I wear them all the time and stock up on sales. They are on amazon but would be cheaper at Job lot $8 for a 2pk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 03:42:45 PM by szmaine »

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2019, 02:18:56 PM »
Omniwool multisport. I buy them from Amazon, a 3 pack is $25 and they last 5 - 10 years in my experience. Whenever I wear them people admire my heavy duty Smartwool socks. I don't correct them.

FireSeekerLondon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »

oh, and keep your toenails trimmed down.

This.  Also, learn to darn.  Socks are almost everlasting if you can darn them well.