Author Topic: Mustachian Socks Like "Smart Wool"?  (Read 689 times)

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Socks Like "Smart Wool"?
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
I love smart wool socks, or anything smart wool, really, but they're ridiculously expensive. Any less expensive version of them you can suggest?

driftwood

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian Socks Like "Smart Wool"?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:13:11 PM »
They aren't less expensive, but Darn Tough socks have a LIFETIME warranty.  Over the last few years I've sent 6-7 pairs back to them and they get replaced for free. So the 8 pairs I got will last me until they run out of business.

*And I doubt regular use would've put holes in those socks. My holes were from my big toenail and the inside part of a steel toe boot constantly pressing against each other with the sock in between.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
I have no suggestions for alternatives, but I have some smart wool socks that have lasted me over 10 years. They are expensive but the sure to do last a long time.

MDfive21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
i found a bunch of them at nordstrom rack for $8.99 instead of the usual $15+.  bought 5 pairs and felt pretty guilty at first but over the next few days i thought if i buy them all now i'll never have to buy socks for at least 10 years.  so i have 5 new pairs in rotation, plus 3 old pairs, plus 7 pairs in my drawer waiting for the day they're needed.  yes it's a lot of money in socks up front, but using the buy and hold strategy i'll be in the money sooner or later.

also, NEVER put them in the dryer.  always hang-dry.

oh, and keep your toenails trimmed down.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:44:19 AM by MDfive21 »

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
I've heard good things about the wool socks at Costco

nkt0

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
I've had several pairs of Smart Wool socks over the years (all different weights), but i've found them to lack durability. All of them have gotten holes in the toes very quickly for both me and my wife. We walk a lot, so maybe they aren't designed for walkers.

We've switched to Darn Tough socks and so far, we haven't had any complaints about them. Haven't had any replaced (yet), but i assume it will happen soon.

DS

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
They aren't less expensive, but Darn Tough socks have a LIFETIME warranty.  Over the last few years I've sent 6-7 pairs back to them and they get replaced for free. So the 8 pairs I got will last me until they run out of business.

*And I doubt regular use would've put holes in those socks. My holes were from my big toenail and the inside part of a steel toe boot constantly pressing against each other with the sock in between.

Second for Darn Tough. Not always about price. The socks hold up amazingly well for the price, and as mentioned have the lifetime warranty. I wore them thru-hiking the AT and only went through two pairs the whole time (2,100 miles).

benstagram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
I have some Minus33 brand merino stuff. They are a little cheaper than smartwool, and I've found the quality to be excellent. Sold on amazon

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Malkynn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 04:24:07 AM »
DH loves Darn Tough and I like Ice Breaker.

Agreed that when it comes to wool socks, quality is king.

BrightFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
I've heard good things about the wool socks at Costco

I bought some of the Kirkland Trail Socks last winter (4 pack for $20) and like them a lot. The cushioned heel and toe are pretty awesome: both comfy and add a layer of reinforcement right where they tend to wear out. I tend to wear them around the house more than out walking though, so I haven't really tested them in shoes much.

nrossman89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »

I second this! Great experience with Darn Tough

trollwithamustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
wigwam and darn tough have both been worth the premium. Its pushing a decade since I have bought new socks. (no I have never used the darn tough warranty, they appear to simply just last longer)

pick colors you like :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 12:46:36 PM »
You can find Smartwool and I think Darn Tough, too, on REI Garage (outlet) or on SierraTradingPost.com sometimes for 30-50% off.... If you aren't picky about the color.

Costco wool hiking socks are good, but they don't have the *thinner* wool socks we like for hiking in SoCal summers.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
+1 to Costco wool socks, but if you wear them often without shoes/slippers (ie around the house), you'll end up with holes.