Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 106072 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2015, 10:49:47 AM »

Okay, so question about the period panties.  How the heck do you change them in the middle of the day?  Sounds blasted inconvenient!  I would think they'd be fine for me, I've always had a light flow, but for women with a heavy flow like my mom who would go through 2 super tampons (inserted side by side), PLUS a large pad every hour the first day of her period, those panties sound like they wouldn't work very well at all!

Also, lol about your grandmother rockstache!

Yeah I'm gonna guess that these are not designed for women with very heavy flows... You would have to completely change your underwear. They do provide a bag to keep the soiled undies in.

The "heavy" underwear can hold two tampons of liquid, which would be about 8-10 hours (typical work day if I worked reg hours) for me on a heavy day. YMMV.

And two super tampons in one go sounds dangerous (TSS).
Agreed, but it's not like she had any good options.  With that she was *just* able to make it through 1 class in high school between changes.  I'm honestly surprised her doctor didn't give her a hysterectomy at a young age, the blood loss she endured monthly was just crazy!  (Of course for obvious reasons I'm glad they didn't, or I wouldn't be here!)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
Slightly off topic/TMI: I introduced my 93 year old grandmother to the idea of the menstrual cup in conversation. She was absolutely appalled at the thought but then followed it up by saying that her mother had taught her that it was bad for your internal health to take a bath OR wash your hair during your period. I casually informed her that people even have sex during their periods now. She was horrified at that. I was horrified that she had gone days without bathing on her period. We both had a good laugh.

You might mention to your grandmother that, per Wikipedia, menstrual cups are only a decade younger than she is (patented 1932).  :)

I love my menstrual cup!  I use a DivaCup, but I haven't tried others.  There is DEFINITELY a learning curve, but once I got through that I was home free.

For those who have not noticed an improvement in horrible cramping and excessive bleeding since switching to cups:

I had horrible, horrible cramps through age 20 or 21.  Bad enough to cause vomiting, bad enough that I was delirious once.  Just nasty stuff.  I had irregular, long periods (sometimes heavy bleeding for multiple weeks), and enough blood on my heaviest days that I was going through an overnight pad every hour or so.  (I tried using tampons three times, but everything about them was painful, so I used just pads for years.)

I was sick of the expense of these infinite pads, so I started looking online for anything cheaper.  That was how I found menstrual cups.  I only knew of the rubber Keeper and silicone DivaCup brands at the time, and I've seen what happens with old rubber bands, so I went with the silicone DivaCup.  I started being able to go an entire 1.5 hours between bathroom breaks on heavy days before a leak/overflow (using the cup with a pad as backup), which was something I could never do with pads.

Gradually, over the next year or so, my periods decreased significantly.  The pain was still really bad, but not to the degree that I was vomiting.  I could go four hours between emptying the cup on heavy days.  I was eventually able to make it halfway through the night without a leak, but I couldn't sleep in without consequences.

Once my flow had decreased to this degree, a year or two later I thought it would be safe to use a folded handkerchief as backup instead of a pad (thinking I could save money).  Success!  After cutting out commercial bleached pads and liners entirely, my period has decreased to the point where I can go an entire night without getting up AND sleep in with only a folded hanky as backup (though it rarely sees more than a few drops).  My cramps are down to the point where they are MUCH more easily controlled with lots of ibuprofen.  I no longer have to call out of work for cramps.

I really think something in the process to make the disposables leaves behind chemicals that leech into your body through the soft tissues and make your period worse.  My life is so much easier now.  I don't think it is simple aging that has cleared up my period issues, as my mother's only got worse over the years (culminating in a hysterectomy) and the same for my little sister.

So, for anyone who is suffering, try cutting out the bleached disposables for six months.  It made such a change in my life.  Switching to cups is only half the battle if you are still using disposable pads and liners as backup.

OutlierinMA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRED!
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »
This is actually my first post, which is kind-of funny, but I love my diva cup, and it is great for low-flow days.

On top of the money saved, the NO MORE STINKY TRASH (in fact the near elimination of "period" smell from your life), etc, one of my favorite things about the cup is that it does not dry you out! This was a revelation, how much more comfortable it was without a tampon sucking all the moisture out of you. So a light cycle day works just fine with a cup, where a tampon would be too much.

I have used the cup successfully on long camping trips where there was a bathroom with sink available at night; when I'm in a public bathroom I simply dump it in the toilet, wipe it down with TP, then bring to the sink relatively clean to wash with soap before reinserting.

I guess I would use pads again in a pinch for a backpacking trip, but only if I KNEW there would be no access to sufficient water to wash or boil my cup. Otherwise I can no longer do without it - I even bought a second one when I couldn't locate my first one temporarily, and now keep one in my purse at all times, the other at home, so I am never caught without it. Pads are so uncomfortable now, and I haven't even looked at a tampon since I started using a cup.

I have had it for around 5 years, after finding out about cups online and finding the Diva cup in Whole Foods. In general I wash with soap once in the morning and once before bed: dump contents in toilet then wash in sink with hot water and Dr. Bronner's soap. At the end of each cycle I boil for 20 minutes to sterilize - I don't mess around here, I don't trust that it is sterile otherwise, and there is no way I'm risking infection up there!

I remember my first month or two having some difficulty getting the cup in and out - I have found that the wash with hot water at the sink before inserting helps soften the silicon a bit, and not putting it in too far helps with the removal, as does bearing down if it seems a bit too high to comfortably remove. If I feel the stem I push it a bit higher. To prevent leaks I make sure it has expanded fully (from being folded), then I twist it around a few times to make sure it has a good seal.

I have had one or two cycles with clots, which fills up the cup in the middle of the day and requires emergency dumping - I talked to my sister about menstrual cups and apparently she has heavy periods with clots all the time - so she didn't think cups would work for her and she ended up getting a Mirena (which I have used before and loved - no periods!). Other than those few times I have been able to go all day and night with no problem.

I also can't believe I didn't hear about this earlier, and want to tell everyone, but have only brought it up with my sister. I wish I could bring it up with my friends but haven't figured out how to do so. Everyone should know about them! They have made my periods so much cleaner and more comfortable, cheaper and healthier!

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »
Although they look big and scary, and I worried the first time I tried to get it out I would have to call the fire department, lol, I love and use the disposable soft cups all the time.  I have thought about washing and reusing, but then sorta freaked out and gave up on the thought. After reading this thread, I'm totally gonna have to try it. And yes, sex is doable (pun intended) and no one would even know unless you told them.

I have told a couple friends who now also use - mostly they were interested in the sex part ;)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
For anyone in Australia they are currently on sale on ourdeal for $35

http://www.ourdeal.com.au/shopping/health-beauty/deal/female-cup-5

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
I also can't believe I didn't hear about this earlier, and want to tell everyone, but have only brought it up with my sister. I wish I could bring it up with my friends but haven't figured out how to do so. Everyone should know about them! They have made my periods so much cleaner and more comfortable, cheaper and healthier!

I agree. I brought it up to my sister today, and she had a strange reaction. She was grossed out by the idea of all the blood "hanging out" in a cup inside of her. But how is it any different from a tampon?  Plus tampons have always made me feel gross and are far more noticeable. Not to mention the fear of TSS and the cost. I can go for hours with a Diva Cup and even forget that I am having my period. That never happened when I wore tampons or (of course) pads.

I guess people are just resistant to change, especially when they are in their forties like my sister is.

This might have been mentioned in the thread -- it has been a while since I read it -- but anyone else have major difficulties using tampons post-childbirth? I just couldn't make them work after I gave birth vaginally. For that reason, the Diva Cup has especially been a godsend for me, as without it, I would likely have to use pads exclusively.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »
I have tried two cups. I bought the smaller Diva Cup in 2010 and I was able to insert correctly, but it was too long for me and would rub (ouch!), so I quit using it. *snip*

Have you trimmed the stem off your Diva Cup yet?  Almost everyone does and prefers it with no stem.  If it is rubbing, it might not be in quite far enough.  Also, a good number of women find that wearing it inside-out helps with some issues.

I've never tried other cups, so I have no advice on the Skoon (though I enjoy that the name sounds like another eating utensil).

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE???

In fairness, I never gave tampons a real chance. I used about 7 (two boxes of 4, and I gave one away) in a thirteen-year span.

I really wish I had tried this before investing in a whole bunch of cloth pads. They are fine, but I was really finding that they would feel gross on heavy flow days, and then everything that they absorbed, I had to rinse and soak out.

I have a small Luna. I need to empty it more often since it's the "small," but I can't imagine I would want to take a LARGER item and shove it up there...

Connie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »
I tried the Diva cup but it leaked horribly. I ensured that there was a seal all the way around but it still leaked for some reason. I went back to tampons. I'e tried to hack my birth control (NuvaRing) so that I can skip periods by keeping it in 4 weeks at a time and then immediately switching to a new one, but I still have light periods.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2016, 10:14:18 PM »
I heard about these cups a while ago, but never pulled the trigger. I guess I was nervous about getting the wrong shape or size. My boyfriend keeps asking when I'm going to buy those cup thingies. I'm going to read some of the links provided and decide today!

I currently use ob because they at least cut down on some of the waste, but it's still just ridiculous.

The Drawing Bird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »
I will say, the IUD (ParaGard or whatever it is - non-hormonal) has made my period way heavier.  It might be because I'm still breastfeeding, but ever since I got it implanted I've had periods heavy enough that it requires me to empty the cup about every 4 hours during the day for a couple of days.  On the other hand, I've had very little cramping and if heavy bleeding is the worst that can be said for the IUD (as opposed to all of the AWFUL symptoms I had while on the pill) bring it on.

+1!

Yes, ParaGard gave me ridiculously heavy periods too.  That was actually why I started with a menstrual cup: because nothing else was able to do its job through the entire night.  I'd highly recommend menstrual cups to women with heavy flows.

VAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »
I've used the DC for years off and on. I have a crazy heavy flow so even though it always leaked it did help stem the tide!
I made my own cloth pads and love them. Always feel like I'm sitting on a cloud. Which is awesome.
And there's the constant joy of sticking it to the plastic crinkly pastel wrapper people.

This thread has reminded me though that I've always wanted to try a different cup. The Diva was always uncomfortable, pressure, poking me etc. It was worth it to me most of the time for a long time. It actually made my cramps worse.

I'm jealous of you ladies who don't have leaks and less cramps!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2016, 03:44:18 AM »

This thread has reminded me though that I've always wanted to try a different cup. The Diva was always uncomfortable, pressure, poking me etc. It was worth it to me most of the time for a long time. It actually made my cramps worse.

I'm jealous of you ladies who don't have leaks and less cramps!

I was hesitant to try a cup because I am only 5 feet tall and heard stories on how uncomfortable they are for short women. I found one called Me Luna that comes in short sizes. I have been using it for several months and so happy that I found it. I didn't even cut off the stem since it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

http://meluna-usa.com

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2016, 04:44:31 AM »
I am now on my second Mooncup and I cut the stem off to make it more comfortable. I actually used tampons this month as I sometimes find them easier. The problem I have with the Mooncup is that I usually get my period first thing in the morning and I am sometimes so tired and bleary eyed that I find it difficult to insert.

If you are at home for the day I find it very easy to use and it is obviously environmentally better than the throw away tampons or pads.

I tried to change my Mooncup when I was in a tiny, very narrow bathroom of a Chinese restaurant once and would not like to repeat that experience! I was standing up and had one leg folded up against the wall trying to get the right angle so I could insert it in correctly. Lol.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
I am now on my second Mooncup and I cut the stem off to make it more comfortable. I actually used tampons this month as I sometimes find them easier. The problem I have with the Mooncup is that I usually get my period first thing in the morning and I am sometimes so tired and bleary eyed that I find it difficult to insert.

If you are at home for the day I find it very easy to use and it is obviously environmentally better than the throw away tampons or pads.

I tried to change my Mooncup when I was in a tiny, very narrow bathroom of a Chinese restaurant once and would not like to repeat that experience! I was standing up and had one leg folded up against the wall trying to get the right angle so I could insert it in correctly. Lol.

If you are very regular and know what morning you will get your period (lucky duck), you can insert the cup the night before.  That is one of the great things about cups; they are non-absorbent, so they are fine hanging out before your period and when it is ending in a trickle.  (Just keep emptying and washing it regularly, even though it isn't filling up.)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
I bought one!!!!  It came in the mail.... on the day after my last period day.  First time I was ever sad it was over because I was excited to try it ;)

Next month!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2016, 02:51:40 PM »
I will say, the IUD (ParaGard or whatever it is - non-hormonal) has made my period way heavier.  It might be because I'm still breastfeeding, but ever since I got it implanted I've had periods heavy enough that it requires me to empty the cup about every 4 hours during the day for a couple of days.  On the other hand, I've had very little cramping and if heavy bleeding is the worst that can be said for the IUD (as opposed to all of the AWFUL symptoms I had while on the pill) bring it on.

+1!

Yes, ParaGard gave me ridiculously heavy periods too.  That was actually why I started with a menstrual cup: because nothing else was able to do its job through the entire night.  I'd highly recommend menstrual cups to women with heavy flows.

My period has gotten lighter over the two years since I got it inserted.  I didn't notice a significant decrease when I ceased breastfeeding, but it has gone down.  Now my heavy days I can go about 6-8 hours without washing it out, most of the time, and I'm down to only 1-2 seriously heavy days rather than 3-4.

I bought one!!!!  It came in the mail.... on the day after my last period day.  First time I was ever sad it was over because I was excited to try it ;)

Next month!

Lol!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2016, 02:58:27 AM »
If you are very regular and know what morning you will get your period (lucky duck), you can insert the cup the night before. 

Oh yes, of course. I don't know why I didn't think to do that before.:)

Another positive thing is that I think the cup makes your period seem shorter as well as it lasts about 3 days when I use it compared to 4 days when I use tampons.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
I was hesitant to try a cup because I am only 5 feet tall and heard stories on how uncomfortable they are for short women. I found one called Me Luna that comes in short sizes. I have been using it for several months and so happy that I found it. I didn't even cut off the stem since it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I had not heard this, but I find it interesting since I'm also petite at 5'1".
I found this chart with the lengths and sizes of cups.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:38 PM »
... the NO MORE STINKY TRASH (in fact the near elimination of "period" smell from your life)...

One absolutely fantastic side-effect that I only realized the other day, after years of using a menstrual cup--there's nothing for pets to dig out of the trash! I had completely forgotten about all my teenage horror stories about our then-dog tearing used tampons and pads to bits all over the house; I've had my current dog for years and never once had a problem because there's nothing in the trash to steal and destroy. Not even having to worry about it is glorious!

francophile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »

Next month!

Hah, I felt the same way when I first got mine. Was actually excited for my period to start! I did find it helpful to practice folds & insertion a day or two before I was expecting my period though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »
... the NO MORE STINKY TRASH (in fact the near elimination of "period" smell from your life)...

One absolutely fantastic side-effect that I only realized the other day, after years of using a menstrual cup--there's nothing for pets to dig out of the trash! I had completely forgotten about all my teenage horror stories about our then-dog tearing used tampons and pads to bits all over the house; I've had my current dog for years and never once had a problem because there's nothing in the trash to steal and destroy. Not even having to worry about it is glorious!

Oh my god flashbacks.

Brother brought a friend over who I had a huge crush on... and they went upstairs... and my dog had gotten into the trash... and also hauled my underwear out of the laundry....

Pretty sure I was repressing those memories. To the credit of Crush, he never told anyone at school. Or mentioned it again. Thank god.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
I just read an article in the paper about a teenage girl in Michigan who is suffering from severe organ failure from TSS from a tampon. Poor girl! That could have certainly been me at that age. I would buy the larger sized tampons because I thought it was more frugal and probably left them in longer than I should have.

Like others on here, getting a Diva Cup was such a turning point.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »

I am 4'11" and have had no trouble with my Luna Cup Small.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »

I am 4'11" and have had no trouble with my Luna Cup Small.
I'm wondering if the shortness in question has to do with internal and not external measurements. Good luck! I'm not super short (5'4") but haven't had any trouble myself regardless.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2016, 06:56:08 PM »
I am small (inside and out) and have a very low cervix and the Lunette small is perfect for me.  Though it's likely at this point that I'll never use it again, having a hysterectomy in March.  I also have a Lady Cup small in green which is okay, but I didn't like nearly as much and just used as a backup.

So though this is weird, after my surgery I'd be more than happy to sterilize and send my cups off to a new home.  Both have the stems cut off, and the Lady Cup hasn't been used often.  The Lunette I bought 8 or 9 years ago so it might not have much life yet, but it could be useful for someone to check for size before buying their own.

Yeah, that is weird, but I'll do it lol!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
I am small (inside and out) and have a very low cervix and the Lunette small is perfect for me.  Though it's likely at this point that I'll never use it again, having a hysterectomy in March.  I also have a Lady Cup small in green which is okay, but I didn't like nearly as much and just used as a backup.

So though this is weird, after my surgery I'd be more than happy to sterilize and send my cups off to a new home.  Both have the stems cut off, and the Lady Cup hasn't been used often.  The Lunette I bought 8 or 9 years ago so it might not have much life yet, but it could be useful for someone to check for size before buying their own.

If I needed one, I'd be jumping at the chance, but my DivaCup fits me fine.  I have to think that we ladies of the cups would probably be less squicked out by the idea than those who have never come across cups before.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »

If I needed one, I'd be jumping at the chance, but my DivaCup fits me fine.  I have to think that we ladies of the cups would probably be less squicked out by the idea than those who have never come across cups before.
I think it's an awesome idea! (ALSO LADIES OF THE CUP THAT IS THE BEST DESCRIPTOR EVER.)
I have a MoonCup(UK) that fits me perfect but I hope someone will take the opportunity. :)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
So I ran across this table with cups sorted by length and can see that my small Sckoon cup is one of the shortest on the market, so I'm going to give it another go! I probably just need to practice getting it to pop open, which won't necessarily be solved by buying a different small cup.

Anyway, I thought some other ladies might find this helpful for those more challenging cervix locations. :)

I've heard that a cup not popping can be remedied by trying different folds.  I've just used the standard U.  Try punch-down?

*snip*

I think it's an awesome idea! (ALSO LADIES OF THE CUP THAT IS THE BEST DESCRIPTOR EVER.)
I have a MoonCup(UK) that fits me perfect but I hope someone will take the opportunity. :)
Thank you!  Now I'm thinking that, if one finds the right cup, it is her Holy Grail.

VAR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2016, 05:40:41 AM »
Good grief there's so many more options now than the last time I checked a few years ago. That's cool....but overwhelming!
I think my issue is an internal configuration problem. I'm not short.

Chinese food place stall....oh dear I can imagine!
I once had a workplace overflow crazy clotting situation. The bathroom looked like a murder scene, but fortunately it was a handicap sized separate room. My supervisor gave me the strangest look when I calmly returned to help her - 30 minutes later. "Are you alright?"

I'm going to spend all day thinking of LADIES OF THE CUP!!!! (horn fanfare!)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
can we get a thread title change?  I love LADIES OF THE CUP!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
:D

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
Ladies, thank you. I've used a DC for years with cloth pantiliners as backup (love my GladRags!) but the DC has leaked a little all the years I've used it -- I just put up with it as it wasn't horrible.

Realized after scanning this thread that there are a LOT of new options on the market, and buzzed over to Amazon to see what I could try.

Got a Lena coming in two days, and will see how it goes.

Never going back to tampons or disposable pads, I can tell you that!

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
Finally got to use mine!!! (I have a Lena cup)

I definitely prefer the punch down fold to the c/u fold. There is a learning curve with inserting it. Also had a slight moment of panic when I couldn't quite grasp the stem (trimmed) to pull it out. Had visions of going to the emergency room to have someone dig this out of me, ha!

I really like it so far, it just requires a bit more contorting (and thus, space) to use it than I thought.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
Finally got to use mine!!! (I have a Lena cup)

I definitely prefer the punch down fold to the c/u fold. There is a learning curve with inserting it. Also had a slight moment of panic when I couldn't quite grasp the stem (trimmed) to pull it out. Had visions of going to the emergency room to have someone dig this out of me, ha!

I really like it so far, it just requires a bit more contorting (and thus, space) to use it than I thought.

Ha! I've had that happen. You have a moment of like, "oh my god please no". Little panic adds spice to your life, right?!

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
Hi Ladies of the Cup - what a great thread.  I had never heard of menstrual cups before but when I read this thread I went and bought one from our local healthfood shop.  I too am now waiting for my next period to give it a try and am looking forward to no more sleepless nights and three hourly tampon changing when my period begins.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:48:33 AM by kiwigirls »

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »
Hi Ladies of the Cup - what a great thread.  I had never heard of menstrual cups before but when I read this thread I went and bought one from our local healthfood shop.  I too am now waiting for my next period to give it a try and am looking forward to sleepless nights and three hourly tampon changing when my period begins.

You can try it out now, preferably in the shower to give it a little slip.  If you can get a good idea of how to seat it now, it will be easier when your period comes.

lafemmex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:43 AM »
Who knew a night of insomnia would lead to saving more of my 'stache and the planet to boot!  After reading this thread, I went on Amazon and bought a Lena - Small.  Normally $49.99 but for some reason, on sale for $24.99.  Yippee!  Thank you "Ladies of the Cup!"

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2016, 09:23:47 AM »
This thread is so awesome.  Yay ladies!  I'm going to get one, I had used the Keeper, but lost it years ago, and then I did cloth pads.....wait for it, I use the cloth diaper inserts from my kids' old cloth diapers.  They are huge and absorbent and awesome.  Way comfier than plastic pads.

Lately I've been using tampons again, with my cloth pad backup.  My Day 1 and 2 are soo heavy.  I have to change a super plus every hour!  Heavy flow ladies, how often do you change your cup on day 1 and 2?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »
This thread is so awesome.  Yay ladies!  I'm going to get one, I had used the Keeper, but lost it years ago, and then I did cloth pads.....wait for it, I use the cloth diaper inserts from my kids' old cloth diapers.  They are huge and absorbent and awesome.  Way comfier than plastic pads.

Lately I've been using tampons again, with my cloth pad backup.  My Day 1 and 2 are soo heavy.  I have to change a super plus every hour!  Heavy flow ladies, how often do you change your cup on day 1 and 2?

Days 1 and 2, I'd say super plus change every 2-3 hours. So I'd say moderately heavy. Cup I do about every 6 hours- seriously, I really only need to do one extra empty per day. Although I have the diva, which I think is higher capacity than some other cups.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
Yeah, I went into it the first period thinking "yay, I can stick this in and not worry about changing it in the stall at work" because it can last 12 hours...
Forgetting that my first day is very heavy.  I filled one up in about 4 hours (fleurcup).  Then checked it again because I was just getting nervous.  All in all though, it wasn't so bad to do in the public bathroom.  And, I got the "oh shit, I dropped it in the toilet" part out of the way really quickly.

I checked with my Mr and he said that he's fine with me boiling it in a regular pot.  He actually stopped me 1/2 way through my question ("so you see babe, these things need to be sanitized between each cycle, which means boiling...).  I think I was more skeeved out than him, to be honest. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2016, 05:18:36 PM »

I never used tampons (too painful), but I used to fill up an overnight pad in an hour.  When my period was still that heavy (giving up disposables had made it lighter!), I would fill up the cup every 4 hours normally, but in one to two hours if I had a sudden blood waterfall/clot geyser.  You know those?  My DivaCup holds an ounce, and a clump can be close to that on its own.  Until you figure out timing for your cup emptyings, I would suggest having your pad backup at least at night and sometimes during the day.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »

I never used tampons (too painful), but I used to fill up an overnight pad in an hour.  When my period was still that heavy (giving up disposables had made it lighter!), I would fill up the cup every 4 hours normally, but in one to two hours if I had a sudden blood waterfall/clot geyser.  You know those? My DivaCup holds an ounce, and a clump can be close to that on its own.  Until you figure out timing for your cup emptyings, I would suggest having your pad backup at least at night and sometimes during the day.

Hilarious, relevant, yet gross meme, as a link instead of inbedded in case people don't want to see it:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/41/14/e4/4114e4d756404e9ec2e3d8bfe7cb9d0d.jpg

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2016, 01:51:32 AM »
Hi Ladies of the Cup - what a great thread.  I had never heard of menstrual cups before but when I read this thread I went and bought one from our local healthfood shop.  I too am now waiting for my next period to give it a try and am looking forward to sleepless nights and three hourly tampon changing when my period begins.

You can try it out now, preferably in the shower to give it a little slip.  If you can get a good idea of how to seat it now, it will be easier when your period comes.

Thanks for the tip.  I will try it out before hand.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2016, 08:15:39 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I will try it out before hand.

One of the best parts about the cup. Because it doesn't disrupt the epithelial lining when you take it out, you don't have to be on your period to use it. You can put it in early if you think you may start, and I even have a friend who uses it at other times in her cycle because she has so much cervical fluid that it's problematic. Anyway, that flexibility with timing is one of the biggest benefits in my opinion!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
I have a question...will I still be able to use a menstrual cup after giving birth, and if so, approximately how long will I need to wait? I use the Diva, the larger size, and I LOVE it and I think it will suck having to go back to pads/tampons, although I realize with the heavy post-birth bleeding I'll need maternity pads for the first little while...

The rule is don't shove anything up there for the full first 6 weeks--bleeding should have stopped by then. No tampons, no cups, gotta use pads. I was able to use regular Always after the first week or so, which was spent with those giant hospital thingies that you wear with the mesh undies. Good times.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »

I never used tampons (too painful), but I used to fill up an overnight pad in an hour.  When my period was still that heavy (giving up disposables had made it lighter!), I would fill up the cup every 4 hours normally, but in one to two hours if I had a sudden blood waterfall/clot geyser.  You know those? My DivaCup holds an ounce, and a clump can be close to that on its own.  Until you figure out timing for your cup emptyings, I would suggest having your pad backup at least at night and sometimes during the day.

Hilarious, relevant, yet gross meme, as a link instead of inbedded in case people don't want to see it:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/41/14/e4/4114e4d756404e9ec2e3d8bfe7cb9d0d.jpg

Oh, that is perfect(ly horrible)!

sailingTowardsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2016, 04:50:31 PM »
So... I bought a DivaCup and am trying it for the first time!  This is something I never ever thought I'd try; I remember first seeing them referenced in college with a mention of "scary spillage" which turned me off forever - my roommates and I would even joke about scary spillage and how WE'D never try a cup.  But.. I like to sail, and you just can't flush tampons in a marine head.  Plus I like the idea of not spending money on disposable feminine products, so I took the plunge.  I will say, it looked enormous when I pulled it out of the package, but it seems to work pretty well.  Thanks to all for this thread, it definitely changed my mind on this product!  Ladies of the Cup unite!!

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: April 13, 2016, 01:55:24 PM »
Does anyone use re-usable fabric pads?

I haven't tried menstrual cups bc pads are super uncomfortable for me. But I love fabric pads - cheaper long term and super comfortable.

I also like the advice about cleaning the cups.
How do women deal with changing cups at work?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
Does anyone use re-usable fabric pads?

I haven't tried menstrual cups bc pads are super uncomfortable for me. But I love fabric pads - cheaper long term and super comfortable.

I also like the advice about cleaning the cups.
How do women deal with changing cups at work?
I'm not sure your correlation between pads being uncomfortable for you and cups is solid. Might be worth trying a cup to see? :)
As for work, I just take it out with a clean hand, dump it in the toilet, and pop that sucker right back in. Don't let it touch anything or do it with a dirty hand, and you sometimes have to use a little more toilet paper than usual to keep yourself from looking like a serial murderer, but it's do-able. :) I prefer being able to rinse it off in a sink, but the dump and re-insert method works for the times when that's not an option.
\o/ Ta da!