Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 106083 times)

Restless Consumer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
Last self-promotion link of the day. My wife wrote a post on this also. I have no input to provide personally.

http://www.offthecheapend.com/personal-care/menstrual-cups/

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread :)

I normally use pads. I can *feel* tampons when I try them to the point where I feel nauseous :/ Dr Google says I might have a sensitive cervix

I'm also shaped a bit weird, like a v instead of a o type shape...that means a tampon sits one side or the other and I get leaks...

Would a cup work for me? If I can feel a tampon would I be able to feel a cup? Would they even fit with my weird shape?

Thanks x

They sit super, super low (edit: super low compared to a tampon - they don't go up as far) so they won't be anywhere near the cervix. 

For the "seal" to work it just has to be able to pressure-fit against the entire perimeter, but that's usually not a problem with different shapes.

I use a DivaCup and cut the entire "stem" off so there isnt any external pressure or sensation from it either. The cup itself I can't feel at ALL once it's in. Its amazing.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »
Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread :)

I normally use pads. I can *feel* tampons when I try them to the point where I feel nauseous :/ Dr Google says I might have a sensitive cervix

I'm also shaped a bit weird, like a v instead of a o type shape...that means a tampon sits one side or the other and I get leaks...

Would a cup work for me? If I can feel a tampon would I be able to feel a cup? Would they even fit with my weird shape?

Thanks x

They sit super, super low (edit: super low compared to a tampon - they don't go up as far) so they won't be anywhere near the cervix. 

For the "seal" to work it just has to be able to pressure-fit against the entire perimeter, but that's usually not a problem with different shapes.

I use a DivaCup and cut the entire "stem" off so there isnt any external pressure or sensation from it either. The cup itself I can't feel at ALL once it's in. Its amazing.

I've always hated tampons, so I use washable menstrual pads instead of a cup. I know, it sounds gross, but I was already cloth diapering and that made it seem more normal, I guess.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
Just thought I'd let anyone who might be interested know, I received an e-mail notifying me about a sale for Fleurcups until the end of this month, you can get 2 for 22 Euro, and delivery anywhere is 4 Euro. I think that is a pretty good price for these things. I am not affiliated with them but I purchased one last year which I found to be quite decent - it is the only one I've ever tried, and I understand that different brands suit different people due to size, shape, material thickness and flexibility.

http://www.fleurcup.com/en

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2015, 02:28:28 AM »
I'm another one in the 'yay, menstrual cups' camp. I've converted my sister and one of my friends to them. Been using them for years (before and then in between kids). So much money saved and I love how I can (after the first day) be entirely confident that there will be no leaks and I don't have to even think about it for 12 hours.  In my earlier drinking and partying days I would sometimes forget and go to sleep with one in, much safer than doing that with a tampon! (Though of course not recommended)

On the topic of the companies recommending replacing after 12mo,  I seem to recall (many years ago) reading about how this was more of a compliance thing than the companies actually thinking their product would only last that long.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2015, 06:17:45 AM »
You don't sleep with yours in?  Really?  I do all the time, and it's great!  I love the fact that I can be totally comfortable, no risk of TSS, and no risk of leaking as with pads that can slip to the side or front.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2015, 08:29:20 AM »
Sleeping in one is one of the best parts. No fear of leaking. Can't they stay in for up to 12 hours?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
Sleeping in one is one of the best parts. No fear of leaking. Can't they stay in for up to 12 hours?
>___> I mean, you can keep it in as long as it's not leaking. At the end of my cycle, my cup stays in for 24 hours from one morning shower until the next, lol.
As to the replacing bit mentioned upthread. Nah, don't bother! I've had mine for 5+ years. It's discolored, but sound and rocking its job duties.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
Hey ladies, I just finished an excellent book called Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash, by Susan Strasser (Owl Books, 1999), and in light of menstrual cups being so popular amongst Mustachian gals and my Zero-Waste Home people, I thought I would share some interesting excerpts from a chapter about the rise of disposable-goods market in the 1920s:

"Commercial sanitary napkins had been available for decades, but they were by no means universal. Many women continued to fold  linen or cotton cloth into sanitary pads, a traditional product of the bricoleur sensibility, constructed at home and often from scraps. Some purchased fabric for the purpose, especially a textured material called 'birdseye' that was also used for diapers. Others selected cloth from the rag bag. They pinned these homemade pads into their underwear or held them to their bodies with belts and suspenders; they soaked soiled napkins, washed the blood out, and reused them. Some women who could afford it concocted homemade disposable pads instead, from cheesecloth, gauze, and surgical cotton.
Widespread use of disposable pads did not begin until Kimberly-Clark introduced Kotex in 1920. It was fabricated from cellucotton, a material the company had developed for bandages during World War I...at least one historian suggests that Kimberly-Clark was left at the end of the war with warehouses of the stuff and developed the product to exploit the surplus.
In 1924, the company moved the advertising account for its now successful product to the well-known Lord & Thomas agency, headed by Albert Lasker. According to his biographer, Lasker personally courted Kimberly-Clark, telling the inventor of cellucotton, 'The products that I like to advertise most are those that are only used once!' " (pp. 162-163)

startswithhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2015, 07:35:54 PM »
Has anyone found Diva cups uncomfortable and then found success with another brand? I've had two kids, so I bought size two, but it's either too big or too firm. I'm 5'1" and have pretty narrow hips.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
Has anyone found Diva cups uncomfortable and then found success with another brand? I've had two kids, so I bought size two, but it's either too big or too firm. I'm 5'1" and have pretty narrow hips.
Diva is one of the longest cups out there, plus that size rating for before and after childbirth, or before and after a certain age, is crap.  You are the size you are, end of story. 

I never tried a Diva, but I can tell you that that brand would never work for me, my cervix is just too low.  Plus despite the fact that I'm 35 (no children), I use a small cup, because I'm just a small woman on the inside.  My best friend is the same size as me and no children, but uses a large cup and the diva works okay for her.  My point is that how tall you, childbirth, and age are fairly irrelevant to the size cup you need.  I get sort of annoyed that the cup companies imply that this is the case.

hobs42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
Hey ladies, I just finished an excellent book called Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash, by Susan Strasser (Owl Books, 1999), and in light of menstrual cups being so popular amongst Mustachian gals and my Zero-Waste Home people, I thought I would share some interesting excerpts from a chapter about the rise of disposable-goods market in the 1920s:

"Commercial sanitary napkins had been available for decades, but they were by no means universal. Many women continued to fold  linen or cotton cloth into sanitary pads, a traditional product of the bricoleur sensibility, constructed at home and often from scraps. Some purchased fabric for the purpose, especially a textured material called 'birdseye' that was also used for diapers. Others selected cloth from the rag bag. They pinned these homemade pads into their underwear or held them to their bodies with belts and suspenders; they soaked soiled napkins, washed the blood out, and reused them. Some women who could afford it concocted homemade disposable pads instead, from cheesecloth, gauze, and surgical cotton.
Widespread use of disposable pads did not begin until Kimberly-Clark introduced Kotex in 1920. It was fabricated from cellucotton, a material the company had developed for bandages during World War I...at least one historian suggests that Kimberly-Clark was left at the end of the war with warehouses of the stuff and developed the product to exploit the surplus.
In 1924, the company moved the advertising account for its now successful product to the well-known Lord & Thomas agency, headed by Albert Lasker. According to his biographer, Lasker personally courted Kimberly-Clark, telling the inventor of cellucotton, 'The products that I like to advertise most are those that are only used once!' " (pp. 162-163)

Thank you for the recommendation! Putting this on my reading list for sure.

Regarding telling friends:

I remind my friends about the epiphany many of them have had when moving from pads to tampons, and then explain that the second epiphany is the menstrual cup (I use the DivaCup) and they start to think about it...I have so far convinced one friend to make the change. Which isn't the highest success rate but I suppose I'm lucky my friends are willing to chat about it.

We should make a PSA to spread the word!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
I'm starting to think about trying one. I've never really liked tampons but it's starting to bother me that it's so hard to ride my bike when I have my period (aside from the fact that I obviously can't wear padded bike shorts, the snaps on the reusable pads are uncomfortable).

Anyone want to recommend a brand for a very short, dainty lady?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »

I'm starting to think about trying one. I've never really liked tampons but it's starting to bother me that it's so hard to ride my bike when I have my period (aside from the fact that I obviously can't wear padded bike shorts, the snaps on the reusable pads are uncomfortable).

I've only tried one, but it's a serious game changer. I'm small and haven't had a baby, and I got the Lena cup (small). The first cycle I wasn't completely convinced but over the course of the second cycle I really got used to it. I did cut the stem off after I was comfortable inserting and removing it. It's only $25 on Amazon, and I don't think I will ever go back to tampons.

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2015, 04:01:00 AM »
You don't sleep with yours in?  Really?  I do all the time, and it's great!  I love the fact that I can be totally comfortable, no risk of TSS, and no risk of leaking as with pads that can slip to the side or front.

oh no sorry I meant I didn't empty it out before going to bed after having had it in all day. I LOVE the fact that I can sleep with itin, walk around the house nude, swim etc and no one would know.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2015, 07:40:56 AM »

My first one was the Lunette small, which is still my favorite.  I bought a backup a few years back, a Lady Cup small, which I don't like as much mostly because the grip is hard to grab for removal.  If my Lunette ever dies (it's 8 years old I think and pretty discolored) I will replace with another Lunette.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »

The Fleurcup (in a small) that I linked to earlier in this page works for me. I haven't tried any other brands, but for reference I have had no success with tampons, but found this easy in comparison.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
Thanks, ladies! I have been making note of your suggestions to research. More brand suggestions welcome!

I sort of feel guilty for turning my back on my reusable pads, which probably haven't paid for themselves. But I'm sure I will still use them on occasion.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
Thanks, ladies! I have been making note of your suggestions to research. More brand suggestions welcome!

I sort of feel guilty for turning my back on my reusable pads, which probably haven't paid for themselves. But I'm sure I will still use them on occasion.
Here's a link to a website with more info than you probably need on every cup that she is aware of.  There are over 50 brands now in many countries.  About 1 page down on the left side is a link to a cup comparison chart, you should probably start there.

https://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2015, 12:33:51 AM »
I have switched this year and am so glad I did! I bought the evacup because it was the lowest price on amazon. I was worried that it would be uncomfortable, but it is fine. It has even helped with my cramps, which used to be incredibly terrible.

I just want to tell the world about how amazing the cup is! Except it is kinda weird so I don't talk about it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »
Here's a link to a website with more info than you probably need on every cup that she is aware of.  There are over 50 brands now in many countries.  About 1 page down on the left side is a link to a cup comparison chart, you should probably start there.

https://menstrualcups.wordpress.com/

I couldn't find the chart but when I scrolled waaaaay down to her review of LenaCup, I found a 15% off discount code: OBSIDIAN.

Also, it told me I could have a $5.99 credit for Prime Pantry if I chose no-rush shipping.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
I used a Diva cup for years.  Bought it online for ~$35 and it seems like it will last...forever?

Four years ago I got a Progesterone Only IUD (Mirena) and now I don't have to deal with that anymore.  So that's pretty excellent.  But the cup is vastly superior to other products.  Cheaper, cleaner, safer, and only needs to be dealt with 2x per day.
I'm on a progesterone pill, and only have periods a couple of times a year. It is marvelous.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
I used a Diva cup for years.  Bought it online for ~$35 and it seems like it will last...forever?

Four years ago I got a Progesterone Only IUD (Mirena) and now I don't have to deal with that anymore.  So that's pretty excellent.  But the cup is vastly superior to other products.  Cheaper, cleaner, safer, and only needs to be dealt with 2x per day.
I'm on a progesterone pill, and only have periods a couple of times a year. It is marvelous.

I got pregnant (nonviable, so that was fun) on a nonhormonal IUD that fell partly out and progesterone makes me homicidal. So Mr. FP is snipped and I have to deal with my own unfettered cycles. Sigh. At least they're predictable these days.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
I just wanted to jump in and say THANK YOU for the hydrogen peroxide/water trick. Total game changer. I've had my Diva for like 8 years now. I cleaned with soap and all that, but yeah... staining.

No more stains! I'm a happy camper now.

And re: bringing it up with friends. I have with a couple friends, but only when it has come up in due course. Ie- "do you have a tampon I could borrow?" "no actually, I use a cup, so I never have them on hand, sorry", or when they're discussing frustration with cramping/leaking/discomfort/whatever. Maybe people are more open with me about health stuff? But then, this totally happened even before I went to nursing school. Who knows.

Dsteadma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »
Just started using mine a year ago and love it!! Most awkward night ever was cleaning it out in an outhouse in the dark.

Kouhri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »
Just found out about menstrual cups from a friend, and super pleased to find this thread. I'm going to buy a couple of different brands (thanks Zaga for the link) and work out what's comfy for me. I'm so excited by this. I've always hated using pads and tampons I feel like it's such a waste. First time I think I've looked forward to a period.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
It seems like a couple of people now have mentioned less cramping with a cup in. I might buy myself one for Christmas...

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »
I just started using a cup this year. I'd heard of them before but didn't think much about them until a friend started talking to me about them. I'm in my 40s and wish I'd thought more of it years ago. I did a bunch of research on the Diva Cup and was a bit spooked by the reviews of women who had trouble removing them.

I decided to step in cautiously and cheaply by trying the Soft Cups (box of 14 for $6). They look large but seem to easily conform to any shape. After 8 months of use I really like them. They are supposed to be disposable but I use one for at least a few months at a time. I really like that I can put on in when I feel like my period may start in a day or two so I'm not caught unprepared. Then I can check it a few times to see if things started.

When flow is heavy they can leak a bit so I might use a light pad for a day or so while that is happening. The Soft Cup can be emptied some without taking it out (bear down on it while on the toilet). This is handy on a camping trip where I can leave it in for a couple of days and then do cleanup when I get home. The shower is the best place to take it out and clean it, especially during heavy flow. They can also be used during sex, usually neither of us can tell it's in there.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
Hmmmm....has anyone out there done the horizontal mambo with the diva cup in?  I'm thinking I'd trim the stem before even trying but holy cow that would be awesome.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Hmmmm....has anyone out there done the horizontal mambo with the diva cup in?  I'm thinking I'd trim the stem before even trying but holy cow that would be awesome.
I've masturbated with it in loads of time; just don't do internal too much and you're golden!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
It seems like a couple of people now have mentioned less cramping with a cup in. I might buy myself one for Christmas...

I haven't experienced any change in cramping. YMMV.

Of course the convenience is still fantastic even with cramping.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »

The DivaCup leaves no room for anything else to fit in there, unfortunately! But I've heard the SoftCups are supposed to sit high enough that it might work? Not sure.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »

I haven't experienced any change in cramping. YMMV.

Of course the convenience is still fantastic even with cramping.
Same, exactly what she said.

About the other question, no, I don't think sex would be possible with a cup in.  Well, not penetration at least.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »

The DivaCup leaves no room for anything else to fit in there, unfortunately! But I've heard the SoftCups are supposed to sit high enough that it might work? Not sure.

I use a SoftCup and yes you can have sex with it. It's more like a diaphragm shape than the DivaCup and similar models.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2015, 08:02:22 AM »
I was looking at the DC last night and thinking the same thing...it would need to go up much higher.  Maybe an experiment with the soft cup is in order....

francophile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
I switched to reusable menstrual products about 4 months ago and really can't imagine going back to disposables. Not only is it cheaper in the long run, it's more comfortable and way better for the environment. Also I'm skeeved out by the chemicals in tampons and disposable pads.

I have a Lena cup (bought on Amazon) and several cloth pads purchased from Etsy. I also have a pair of Thinx underwear, but find them a bit expensive for what they are. The cup is above & beyond my favorite. I just took a beach vacation and of course got my period on the first day of it. The cup was a lifesaver. You can leave it in 12 hours and easily swim in it. With tampons I would have been changing them every 2-3 hours and would have awkwardly been dealing with the trash associated with them.

I do leak a little on the heaviest days, and when not swimming I pair the cup with a cloth liner.

Highly recommend the Lena and am also curious about the Ruby, Eva, and Meluna cups. I believe these are all on Amazon as well. For cloth pads, I've loved Yurtcraft, Novel Red, and RainbowsGrace on Etsy. If you get both cup and pads, or just one or the other, it's a small investment for something that will last years.

pompera_firpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
I adore the fact that this is something I can talk about somewhere! I never got around to getting a menstrual cup before getting my Mirena IUD (and ending up with incredibly low-flow periods), but I got tired of having to deal with pantiliners and went with reusable cotton ones. I've been assuming that a cup would be uncomfortable or useless due to the low-flow thing, but this thread has me wondering if I was wrong. Anyone with experience in that department?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
I adore the fact that this is something I can talk about somewhere! I never got around to getting a menstrual cup before getting my Mirena IUD (and ending up with incredibly low-flow periods), but I got tired of having to deal with pantiliners and went with reusable cotton ones. I've been assuming that a cup would be uncomfortable or useless due to the low-flow thing, but this thread has me wondering if I was wrong. Anyone with experience in that department?
Not with the Mirena, but my periods have always been extremely light after the first 2 days, and I also have up to 10 additional "spotting" days during the month (yes, being treated).  I find the cup works absolutely great for these days!

*Though you may forget it's in there and have to go take it out for romantic interludes.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »

It would definitely be safer than tampons for low flow! People still get toxic shock syndrome.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2015, 05:07:17 AM »

It would definitely be safer than tampons for low flow! People still get toxic shock syndrome.
Given Pompera_firpa said she was using pads, I don't think there was a chance of TSS from tampons :P

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2015, 08:55:39 PM »

Given Pompera_firpa said she was using pads, I don't think there was a chance of TSS from tampons :P

Guess I figured everyone uses the occasional tampon for swimming or whatever.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but I have been considering "period panties" like THINX or Padkix... has anyone looked into these? I was thinking of buying a menstrual cup + 1-2 pairs of these underwear.

http://www.shethinx.com/products/thong-panties

http://www.shethinx.com/products/hiphugger-panties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI0ulQeUScA
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:16:17 PM by lbmustache »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2015, 04:55:26 AM »

Guess I figured everyone uses the occasional tampon for swimming or whatever.
Ah, fair call. I have never used a tampon, I just miss out on swimming. Couldn't get my head around the idea, how to get them in etc. But then, I turned out to have overactive pelvic muscles, so I couldn't have gotten them in anyway.

Not to hijack the thread but I have been considering "period panties" like THINX or Padkix... has anyone looked into these? I was thinking of buying a menstrual cup + 1-2 pairs of these underwear.

They look like they might work as well as cloth pads?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »

Yeah, that is what they are for. I would like to use them as backups for a menstrual cup (in case of leaks) or on days where I have bad cramps (like others have mentioned, tampons seem to make them worse sometimes). I can also use the light ones on days before I start my period or the last few days ... Just wondering if anyone has tried them? Padkix looks cuter, but Thinx is more established. Thinxs offers 10% off if you buy 3, so I'm hoping to get everything before I start my next period...

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »
Hmmm... finding this thread was interesting timing. I ordered my first cup (Lena Small) early this month and am using it for the first time today. I'm intrigued by the possibilities and convenience, but have to admit have been a little hesitant. So far so good (minimal leaking, not sure if that will be my normal or if it's part of the learning curve), so we'll see!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »

Yeah, that is what they are for. I would like to use them as backups for a menstrual cup (in case of leaks) or on days where I have bad cramps (like others have mentioned, tampons seem to make them worse sometimes). I can also use the light ones on days before I start my period or the last few days ... Just wondering if anyone has tried them? Padkix looks cuter, but Thinx is more established. Thinxs offers 10% off if you buy 3, so I'm hoping to get everything before I start my next period...

The reason I haven't tried them is that they're like 5x as expensive as cloth pads! I'm sure they are more comfortable than cloth pads, though.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »

The reason I haven't tried them is that they're like 5x as expensive as cloth pads! I'm sure they are more comfortable than cloth pads, though.

Oh okay - I get what you are saying now! The original meaning went over my head the first time lol. Where do you get your cloth pads from? Do they move around (my biggest annoyance with regular pads tbh)?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
Slightly off topic/TMI: I introduced my 93 year old grandmother to the idea of the menstrual cup in conversation. She was absolutely appalled at the thought but then followed it up by saying that her mother had taught her that it was bad for your internal health to take a bath OR wash your hair during your period. I casually informed her that people even have sex during their periods now. She was horrified at that. I was horrified that she had gone days without bathing on her period. We both had a good laugh.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2015, 06:44:23 AM »
Okay, so question about the period panties.  How the heck do you change them in the middle of the day?  Sounds blasted inconvenient!  I would think they'd be fine for me, I've always had a light flow, but for women with a heavy flow like my mom who would go through 2 super tampons (inserted side by side), PLUS a large pad every hour the first day of her period, those panties sound like they wouldn't work very well at all!

Also, lol about your grandmother rockstache!

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »

Okay, so question about the period panties.  How the heck do you change them in the middle of the day?  Sounds blasted inconvenient!  I would think they'd be fine for me, I've always had a light flow, but for women with a heavy flow like my mom who would go through 2 super tampons (inserted side by side), PLUS a large pad every hour the first day of her period, those panties sound like they wouldn't work very well at all!

Also, lol about your grandmother rockstache!

Yeah I'm gonna guess that these are not designed for women with very heavy flows... You would have to completely change your underwear. They do provide a bag to keep the soiled undies in.

The "heavy" underwear can hold two tampons of liquid, which would be about 8-10 hours (typical work day if I worked reg hours) for me on a heavy day. YMMV.

And two super tampons in one go sounds dangerous (TSS).