Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 106080 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2016, 08:00:30 AM »
I've just gone on to the amazon website, two packs of heavy pads and one pack of thin pads + a cup is about £90

Wow....that's a lot of money. I've been "lucky" enough to avoid needing lady things as I'm overweight so periods stopped. However I've started to lose weight and I'm dreading the day I need to buy tampons. There's a box under my bed unopened since my son was born. 5 years ago...

I don't know your sewing skills but they are some reasonable diy options for reusable pads. I find the ones that come apart into several layers or unfold are easier to keep clean. 

I bought my cup on Amazon, but I think it wasn't Diva brand, I am not sure of the brand anymore, but it cost less than Diva. Check out other options.

I've spent around $5 on menstruation products in the past 3 years.

I've not gotten completely comfortable with the cup, so I do like to keep a few traditional products around for back up. I was frustrated at first, because the cup was supposed to be the end of all products, but even though I don't use it exclusively it has drastically cut down my use of product, reduced my spending and reduced my contribution to land fills.

abby1234519

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
I've just gone on to the amazon website, two packs of heavy pads and one pack of thin pads + a cup is about £90

There are a LOT of brands out there.  Is the cup brand you found on Amazon an import?  In the US, the DivaCup is around $24, which should be around £19.  Is Amazon possibly advertising a bundle that is more expensive than its components?  You can make your own pads or probably find cheaper ones.  Some forums suggest that mothers just use a small, old cloth diaper.  Old washcloths/flannels/facecloths work well to catch light overflow, as do handkerchiefs.

Actually it was the cup that wasn't expensive. Diva Cup's about £30 (prices never translate really) but I found one with good reviews for £9.

The pads, I'm useless with a sewing machine. I actually bought one 3 years ago and it's still at my friends! I quite liked that the pads on amazon had popper buttons so you could keep it secure. Perhaps I should buy those and then in future I can learn to make my own. It wasn't a bundle, it was everything on its own. £90 would be okay if they all lasted for at least 3 years?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2016, 08:07:27 AM »

Wow....that's a lot of money. I've been "lucky" enough to avoid needing lady things as I'm overweight so periods stopped. However I've started to lose weight and I'm dreading the day I need to buy tampons. There's a box under my bed unopened since my son was born. 5 years ago...

Double replying. Sorry.

I've been a bigger girl most of my life, recently lost a little weight.  The best thing about DIY pads is that you can make them the size you need for your body and your flow.  None of the one size fits most when "most" means a thin model. For overnights I often just fold a piece of flannel and count on my panties and leggings to keep it in place. It's so much more comfortable and less leakage.

Of course, YMMV.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »

There are a LOT of brands out there.  Is the cup brand you found on Amazon an import?  In the US, the DivaCup is around $24, which should be around £19.  Is Amazon possibly advertising a bundle that is more expensive than its components?  You can make your own pads or probably find cheaper ones.  Some forums suggest that mothers just use a small, old cloth diaper.  Old washcloths/flannels/facecloths work well to catch light overflow, as do handkerchiefs.

I have some reusable pads, but I never use them because they are just too inconvenient. If I'm out somewhere and need to change it, I don't want to have to carry around this used pad in a ziplock, nor do I really want to have to mess with having to wash it out in the sink and then make sure it went through the laundry before my next period.
Actually it was the cup that wasn't expensive. Diva Cup's about £30 (prices never translate really) but I found one with good reviews for £9.

The pads, I'm useless with a sewing machine. I actually bought one 3 years ago and it's still at my friends! I quite liked that the pads on amazon had popper buttons so you could keep it secure. Perhaps I should buy those and then in future I can learn to make my own. It wasn't a bundle, it was everything on its own. £90 would be okay if they all lasted for at least 3 years?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »

How many is in two packs of pads? If you're using the cup, you most likely won't need heavy pads (different for everyone of course, but that's a more likely than not scenario I think). Even if you do buy that many, I'd be expecting them to last a whole lot longer than three years. I started off with 12 pads (4 heavy, 4 regular, 4 light) about ten years ago and they're still going strong. The ones that were cool bright pink and blue stripes have faded to a bit nondescript now but the black ones with white flowers still look the same. Since I started using a Mooncup I don't need the pads really but I just use them now as pantyliners so they actually get more regular use than they did at the beginning, since I use one daily. I bought a three-pack of I got my original twelve from weenotions , checking there now, a six-pack costs around twenty-five pounds so what you've seen on amazon is probably about right. But, check out the price of a packet of whatever it is you would have normally used and figure out how much you would spend in a month. I'm 42 now and don't really anticipate ever needing to spend money on this kind of thing again. Except that some of the new fabrics I've just seen on the weenotions site are kind of cool, so now I'm tempted... :)

abby1234519

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2016, 01:59:24 AM »

How many is in two packs of pads? If you're using the cup, you most likely won't need heavy pads (different for everyone of course, but that's a more likely than not scenario I think). Even if you do buy that many, I'd be expecting them to last a whole lot longer than three years. I started off with 12 pads (4 heavy, 4 regular, 4 light) about ten years ago and they're still going strong. The ones that were cool bright pink and blue stripes have faded to a bit nondescript now but the black ones with white flowers still look the same. Since I started using a Mooncup I don't need the pads really but I just use them now as pantyliners so they actually get more regular use than they did at the beginning, since I use one daily. I bought a three-pack of I got my original twelve from weenotions , checking there now, a six-pack costs around twenty-five pounds so what you've seen on amazon is probably about right. But, check out the price of a packet of whatever it is you would have normally used and figure out how much you would spend in a month. I'm 42 now and don't really anticipate ever needing to spend money on this kind of thing again. Except that some of the new fabrics I've just seen on the weenotions site are kind of cool, so now I'm tempted... :)

Two heavy packs would be 10 pads, then a pack of lighter ones would be another 5 pads.
I can’t see me using a mooncup at night to be honest, obviously I don’t really have any idea so I might do!

These were the pads

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018TVX49A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4ZEG3ZSIRCER

This is the cup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NQ56KW8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RP0P0B5R4FU5

But I’ll have a look at the website you’ve suggested, I don’t need them right this second so I can save but I anticipate needing them in a month or so

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2016, 05:45:49 AM »
I can’t see me using a mooncup at night to be honest, obviously I don’t really have any idea so I might do!

These were the pads

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018TVX49A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4ZEG3ZSIRCER

This is the cup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NQ56KW8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RP0P0B5R4FU5

But I’ll have a look at the website you’ve suggested, I don’t need them right this second so I can save but I anticipate needing them in a month or so
The pads are probably more or less the same wherever you get them. If you can get a tester pack with one of each size to try out first, that might help you decide. I look at those one on amazon for example and all I can think of is that it looks like kind of warm material - the last thing I need is more heat. But perhaps the material just looks like that and isn't in actuality. I will admit that when I got mine I was disappointed that the top material was not at all, as promised, "like your normal underwear" - but that's because I'm a cotton briefs only kind of girl. For lots of people the slightly synthetic shiny material really would have been just like their normal pants. There are so many options, at some stage you just have to go for it. But maybe try ordering just one pack, or a sample pack first rather than spending a whole lot on one type and then not liking them.

Also, mooncup at night is one of the best things about it! Actually, the first couple of times I tried it, I only used it at night and then on a lounging around at home day. I wanted any potential issues to come up while I was close to my own bathroom and had plenty of privacy. Considering I hadn't chopped enough of the stem off at all, I'm really glad I stayed home, too. Have you read the review link someone posted just above? It seemed like pretty good information on all the different types of cups.

pattycakepdx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: February 03, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
I just want to add Thinx period underwear to this! I've used a Diva Cup for years and love it. But thanks to birth control, my flow is sometimes so light that it feels like overkill. These underwear are awesome and so comfortable for those other days. I have friends who use them for heavy days too, but I prefer to keep them for lighter days especially since that means I can own fewer pairs.

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
I just want to add Thinx period underwear to this! I've used a Diva Cup for years and love it. But thanks to birth control, my flow is sometimes so light that it feels like overkill. These underwear are awesome and so comfortable for those other days. I have friends who use them for heavy days too, but I prefer to keep them for lighter days especially since that means I can own fewer pairs.

Yes! THINX is an amazing company. With their underwear and my diva cup, I have saved a lot of cash wasted on disposable, non-environmental, and unhealthy products. Read about the chemicals in tampons. Scary stuff!!!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Smart menstrual cup that tracks your flow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700989404/looncup-the-worlds-first-smart-menstrual-cup

First, I think the idea is creepy.  What if someone hacks it?  Ugh.

Second, you can't boil it or trim off the stem (which most women do) because it contains electronics.

Third, did you see the battery info?!
Battery   6 Months
Varies depending on usage pattern,
non-rechargeable, non-replaceable

They are estimating that they will sell these things at $50/each with an additional $20 for shipping.  That is a crazy price for something that must be replaced twice a year to maintain its function.

Also, apparently they are having issues with the phone connection thing and have set it to vibrate instead (?!).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700989404/looncup-the-worlds-first-smart-menstrual-cup/comments

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »
I had a keeper in college 17 yrs ago. It was horrible and painful and leaked.
I have a moon cup now (can be bought on vita cost, frequently on sale!) and it's flexible and great and rarely leaks. It's gotten to the point now that tampons bother me in comparison. Don't give up if you haven't found your match at first!!

FIREd_up!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:41 AM »
I just got the Diva cup off Amazon a few months ago, although I've seen them in regular stores like Safeway. It's a bit of a learning curve and I'm still at the point where it occasionally leaks and it's not like I can't feel it at all. BUT considering how much money it will save me not to mention how much better it is for the environment I'm going to continue to use it anyway.

SquirrelStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:48 AM »
I've used a Diva cup for years, and yes it does take some getting used to. Having to "fold" the cup to get it where it needs to be means I don't always get a tight seal (i.e. leaks). I've found running my finger around the top lip after insertion helps smooth that out. You can also lean it to one side to let some of the air back in to help as well (beware doing this in public though as it makes an awesome sound!). Overall though, it's very much worth the money savings.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
If you're inserting it at home, washing/rinsing it in very warm water for a bit brings it closer to body temperature and softens the silicone enough so that you feel it less.  Sometimes I also need to, ah, "pull" in with my muscles after inserting so that the trimmed-off stem-end isn't poking at the wrong angle or too low.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
....have set it to vibrate instead (?!).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/700989404/looncup-the-worlds-first-smart-menstrual-cup/comments

I will seriously consider purchasing the cup that can be set to vibrate.

Sorry...I just couldn't help myself.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
This company is "selling" a set of two different-sized cups for only the cost of shipping: https://rebelkate.com/products/your-free-menstrual-cup

They're pretty open about the fact that it's a cheap cup and they're hoping you'll like it enough to buy a nicer one, but it seems like a good opportunity to try it out without much commitment. Shipping still works out to $11 for me in SoCal but cheaper than any other trustworthy cup.

narrative

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
I have used a Diva Cup for almost 5 years. I didn't like it at first - the little stem was poky. Until I came across a review on amazon that changed it all with one simple suggestion -

Turn the cup INSIDE OUT.

:)

That way the little stem is on the inside and there is no more poking. Cup still works the same way. That simple tip made all the difference in usability and comfort and saved me a ton of cash. Hope it can help someone else too.

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2017, 01:32:56 AM »
I've always used pads and tampons but I'm considering buying the cup. However, I still haven't figured out how you manage it in a public restroom...

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2017, 03:45:26 AM »
I've always used pads and tampons but I'm considering buying the cup. However, I still haven't figured out how you manage it in a public restroom...
I just bring a bottle of water in with me and use that to rinse it out. It works better than I thought it would when I first heard about people doing that. My first time was a bit difficult but after that has always been fine. And that may have been because that first time was in the toilets at Geneva airport and although they were plenty roomy, between me (not one of the smaller women you'll ever meet), my suitcase, my backpack, and the big shopping bag full of stuff I also had, there just wasn't quite enough room to manoeuvre easily. Minus all the luggage, even in smaller cubicles, I've never really had any issues.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I usually need about 350-400ml of water to properly rinse mine, so a 500ml bottle is more than enough.

nickybecky1

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
I've used a water bottle but I've only ever used it when camping. There's a pretty large capacity on the cups so I usually just clean it in the morning (at home) and at night (at home) and don't worry about it at all during the day. If I had a very heavy flow though, I might need to rinse during the day and a water bottle does totally work.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #271 on: September 03, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
If you have a heavier flow, you will have to dump the cup mid-day at least once.  I dump, wipe it inside and out with a bit of toilet paper, and shove it back in.  It's fine to wait to wash it properly until you are back home.

Sometimes, at work, I used to dump it, wipe it, then covertly hold it in my hand to wash it in one of the sinks in the row, then gone back in a stall to re-insert.  I would only do it when I didn't think there was anyone else in the bathroom, and it didn't seem to be much improvement over just wiping out the cup.

But, in retrospect I'm not sure that it would have been a big deal if anyone else saw the cup, as long as I didn't bring a huge amount of blood to the sink with it.  It was a women-only bathroom, and it's not like the sinks are used for anything but post-toilet washing.

Ms Ida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »
Trying the XOFlo from Gladrags and think it is going to take some practice. I don't think it should be so uncomfortable removing.

Ms Ida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
The good news is I have noted to call the DR yet! So far I have trimmed off most of the stem so it is a little more comfortable but hard to grab to remove. I am glad to hear it will get easier with practice but I am not super excited right now about the practice :)

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: September 06, 2017, 04:35:46 AM »
It's not too hard to get out, Ms Ida. Have you ever had a vaginal delivery? Just bear down, and it pops down nice and low.

Ms Ida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2017, 10:45:03 PM »
No vaginal deliveries. It got easier to remove but the cup still felt really really wide when removing. I will give it another couple cycles but I wonder if maybe I should think about a smaller cup. I was interested in a larger volume cup but I might need to work up to it.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2017, 05:01:48 AM »
Sometimes I realise I've been using my cup so long that I've forgotten just how much it changed my life. When I really think back I can remember just how awful I found tampons and pads but mostly the cup just feels so normal to me and basically makes me forget my period. I know that for some people there's a 'learning curve' but honestly for me it was love at first try!

Anyway, I'm wondering when I should consider replacing my cup 'just because', e.g., for normal wear-and-tear without there being any current issues. Obviously the 'one year' recommendation that some places give is pure cover-your-ass, I have also seen people say '10 years' and I wonder if I need to take that recommendation any more seriously?

My cup seems like it will be fine indefinitely, still fits great, feels the same, never leaks. It is very very discoloured and has been for years, which doesn't bother me. It's about 11 years old now (maybe 12?). The only think that really drives me to get another is the potential to have it actually somehow die on me and have to use tampons or pads for a cycle whilst ordering another, which I would find really awful. Maybe I really should buy another in advance because of how horrible I would find it.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
Sometimes I realise I've been using my cup so long that I've forgotten just how much it changed my life. When I really think back I can remember just how awful I found tampons and pads but mostly the cup just feels so normal to me and basically makes me forget my period. I know that for some people there's a 'learning curve' but honestly for me it was love at first try!

Anyway, I'm wondering when I should consider replacing my cup 'just because', e.g., for normal wear-and-tear without there being any current issues. Obviously the 'one year' recommendation that some places give is pure cover-your-ass, I have also seen people say '10 years' and I wonder if I need to take that recommendation any more seriously?

My cup seems like it will be fine indefinitely, still fits great, feels the same, never leaks. It is very very discoloured and has been for years, which doesn't bother me. It's about 11 years old now (maybe 12?). The only think that really drives me to get another is the potential to have it actually somehow die on me and have to use tampons or pads for a cycle whilst ordering another, which I would find really awful. Maybe I really should buy another in advance because of how horrible I would find it.
I've been thinking the same recently. Got mine about eleven years ago and have been using it properly for just over nine (steep lerning curve for me so I kept going back to my cloth pads). Although I've had a few four or five month breaks over the last year or so (hormonal issues meant no periods for while) so it has had a bit of rest in between.  I'm pretty sure that when I got my Mooncup it was still a lifetime guarantee and it was only a year or two after that, that they switched to a 10-year one.

It's true though that having a back-up on hand might not be a bad idea. Hmm. Even with menopause fast approaching, I think it might be worth the investment. Still a pittance compared to what I would have spent on sanitary towels in the time I've had one, too.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
I bought my cup sometime before 2008, far enough back that I wasn't keeping much in the way of expense records, so it has probably been at least 10 years.  It is still going strong!  If it were to die on me, it probably would be gradually with cracks developing, but I see nothing more than staining (which can be fixed with a H2O2 soak if you really care).

No vaginal deliveries. It got easier to remove but the cup still felt really really wide when removing. I will give it another couple cycles but I wonder if maybe I should think about a smaller cup. I was interested in a larger volume cup but I might need to work up to it.

Does it feel too wide when you are wearing it?  Mine always feels bigger at removal, but I think it helps that, while bearing down, I use a few fingers to dent in one side to make a very fat C/U shape before removing it.  That make the rim smaller and makes it easier to pull out.  I don't take it out by just breaking the seal then pulling the base.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
Does it feel too wide when you are wearing it?  Mine always feels bigger at removal, but I think it helps that, while bearing down, I use a few fingers to dent in one side to make a very fat C/U shape before removing it.  That make the rim smaller and makes it easier to pull out.  I don't take it out by just breaking the seal then pulling the base.

Yep, be sure to pinch it down so it breaks the seal. Otherwise you're functionally trying to yank out a suction cup =o Of course that will feel bad! Pinch in one side. You may lose a little blood as it comes out, but it comes out way more easily that way, and it's going to be a bit of a mess coming out anyway =)

Good luck. If it's too big, it's too big though.

Re: durability. I don't know about how long to keep them. I'm probably at like 8 years with mine. It was getting very discolored, and someone on here recommended the half hydrogen peroxide/half water soak. It looks like new again. I do that overnight at the end of each cycle now.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: September 11, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »
This morning (~5am) I was removing mine, got it removed successfully, and then dropped it. I do not recommend this method. It bounces.

I can laugh about it now, but I was groggy and miserable at the time. Cleanup was not fun.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
This morning (~5am) I was removing mine, got it removed successfully, and then dropped it. I do not recommend this method. It bounces.

I can laugh about it now, but I was groggy and miserable at the time. Cleanup was not fun.

Oh my god that's awful. But I am laughing. Laughing hard enough it's annoying the dog resting her head on my arm. Thank you for letting us all share in your amusing but terrible misery on that!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #282 on: September 11, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »

Oh my gosh!  You poor thing!  I, too, am laughing.  This really complicates that delightful during and post period game of "find the blood" (how does it get on the underside of the toilet seat? It is a mystery).

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »

You just, well, manage. I had horrendous periods before getting the IUD. I soaked a super plus tampon in minutes. A cup would get me only 30-45 minutes on my heavy day. I had to change it at work nearly every hour. It was a f-ing mess every time, mainly because it was always brimful. But it was my only option and I had to deal with it. So, I would just bear down to get it out gently, dump it and reinsert it immediately. I mopped up my hands in the stall, opened the door with the side of my hand and washed thoroughly at the sink. I don't think anyone noticed my dirty hands in the seconds between exiting the stall and heading to the sink. That said, do keep a tampon or two in your purse in case you drop the cup in the toilet.

If your periods are normal, you'll likely be able to make it through the day without changing it.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 12, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
I get along ok with my cup.  Just finished a period where I only used the cup.  I often use a pad along with it for safety on my first day, and when I just can't deal with the cup.  I swear my periods are shorter and less heavy, not sure if it's because of using the cup and organic or fabric pads of if it's due to age, weight loss, general improvement in diet, activity and health.  Either way, I am happy.

New challenge:  For the next 8 weeks I'm staying in an apartment with no way to boil the cup.  I have a microwave and and a pressure cooker.  Can I boil water in the pressure cooker??  I may have to settle for the peroxide soak with a thorough rinse.  I don't want to risk my health but I don't want to buy a burner just for this and I don't feel comfortable inviting myself over to a friends house just to boil my cup. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
New challenge:  For the next 8 weeks I'm staying in an apartment with no way to boil the cup.  I have a microwave and and a pressure cooker.  Can I boil water in the pressure cooker??  I may have to settle for the peroxide soak with a thorough rinse.  I don't want to risk my health but I don't want to buy a burner just for this and I don't feel comfortable inviting myself over to a friends house just to boil my cup.

FWIW, I only do the full boil/peroxide/whatever cleaning routine every ~6 months. Usually I just give it a thorough wash in the sink with soap and water. I've had no health issues.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »

FWIW, I only do the full boil/peroxide/whatever cleaning routine every ~6 months. Usually I just give it a thorough wash in the sink with soap and water. I've had no health issues.

Like aetherie, I only peroxide mine once in a while.  I have never boiled it.  Soap + warm water is plenty unless you drop it in something terrible like a porta-potty.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:47 PM »
+1 to the above. I do soap and tap-hot water, then just a 1/2 peroxide 1/2 water soak after the whole period is done.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:56 PM »

You can also use the tabs used to clean dentures as an alternative.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »
The internet tells me you can also microwave it in a container of water for five minutes instead of doing the stovetop boil.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2017, 01:22:14 AM »
I've never boiled or otherwise sterilised my cup. I got it when I was a teenager and I would have been too embarrassed to use the stove for that and wouldn't have known how to otherwise sterilise. In the early years I was quite worried about the hygiene of the situation and after each cycle I would fill a mug with boiled water from the kettle and stick the cup in there for a while (no idea if this really does anything re:sterilisation since it's not still on the boil).

I got laxer and laxer over time really and now I just rinse during my period and wash with soap and water after. My cup is incredibly discoloured but otherwise all is fine. This isn't a recommendation, just a datapoint, YMMV, etc, etc.

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:46 AM »
yeah, my boyfriend was way less grossed out by it than I thought he would be. he actually thinks it's pretty hilarious and interesting, and makes jokes about it being a vampire shot glass (which even grosses ME out, LOL)
Ugh THAT is gross (though it totally makes sense!) I've been on tampons for years and I'd love to find an alternative because I figured inserting something full of toxic chemicals into your body is probably not a good idea, but I'm reluctant to give the period cup a try - I stay in the office all day and I don't know how to change in the public bathroom!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:53 AM »
Brookebcollin, you may not need to change it during the day... Mine is fine from when I leave the house in the morning until when I get home at night, no emptying needed in that long block of time.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:03 AM »
You can also buy sterilisation tablets. Stick in cold water, let dissolve, swirl the cup in it. I use them for my baby's bottles and teething ring, I assume they'd be fine for a menstrual cup.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
Brookebcollin, you may not need to change it during the day... Mine is fine from when I leave the house in the morning until when I get home at night, no emptying needed in that long block of time.

+1, I don't have to do anything with it during the day either, even on my heavy days. Having been discussing this on this forum for a while though, I know that is not the case for everyone.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
Thanks all. I think I'll just do a good wash and peroxide soak until I have access to boiling it again! I will continue boiling regularly as that is what is recommended for mine, but it is reassuring to hear others stories.

MarshallHernandez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »
I've recently bought a Diva Cup been researching cups for weeks and... in the autoclave kind of a giant steam pressure cooker to sterilize.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
I've been on tampons for years and I'd love to find an alternative because I figured inserting something full of toxic chemicals into your body is probably not a good idea, but I'm reluctant to give the period cup a try - I stay in the office all day and I don't know how to change in the public bathroom!

I was completely grossed out by the thought of menstrual cups for years. But the more I read, especially here on MMM, the more I became open to giving it a try. I finally bought a diva cup last year and have to say, I really like it. I do sometimes empty at work and have figured out how to deal with it in public restrooms (use only one hand, empty and reinsert, wipe hand well with tissue paper and don't touch anything before washing thoroughly ASAP). My preference is to empty it in the shower each night though - feels so much cleaner that way.

I didn't realize until I read it here that people rinse before reinserting though. Been using it for quite some months now and most of the time I just empty and reinsert right away. Having to rinse in between would certainly make it more challenging in a public restroom.

Haven't figured out the optimal (yet discreet!) way to sterilize and dry it yet so will continue reading for ideas.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:40:33 PM by elaine amj »

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2017, 08:12:12 AM »
I didn't realize until I read it here that people rinse before reinserting though. Been using it for quite some months now and most of the time I just empty and reinsert right away. Having to rinse in between would certainly make it more challenging in a public restroom.

Haven't figured out the optimal (yet discreet!) way to sterilize and dry it yet so will continue reading for ideas.

I never, NEVER rinsed in a public bathroom before reinserting. I see absolutely zero benefit in doing so. It's not like you're sterilizing it. Not to mention, as bad as my periods used to be, I didn't have the option to get off a toilet without a cup in place.

I sterilize it by boiling it in a cooking pot on the stove. IDGAF about discretion at my house. My girls don't notice it and my husband is a grown man who doesn't need to be spared my reality. I mean, I don't sterilize when guests are over but my husband will survive the knowledge that his wife has periods, KWIM?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
Quote from: NeonPegasus link=topic=18292.msg1720067#msg1720067
I sterilize it by boiling it in a cooking pot on the stove. IDGAF about discretion at my house. My girls don't notice it and my husband is a grown man who doesn't need to be spared my reality. I mean, I don't sterilize when guests are over but my husband will survive the knowledge that his wife has periods, KWIM?

Haha, yup. This is what I do too.

ETA: Fixed quote tags
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:20:39 AM by rockstache »