Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 58026 times)

katekat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2017, 01:22:14 AM »
I've never boiled or otherwise sterilised my cup. I got it when I was a teenager and I would have been too embarrassed to use the stove for that and wouldn't have known how to otherwise sterilise. In the early years I was quite worried about the hygiene of the situation and after each cycle I would fill a mug with boiled water from the kettle and stick the cup in there for a while (no idea if this really does anything re:sterilisation since it's not still on the boil).

I got laxer and laxer over time really and now I just rinse during my period and wash with soap and water after. My cup is incredibly discoloured but otherwise all is fine. This isn't a recommendation, just a datapoint, YMMV, etc, etc.

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:46 AM »
yeah, my boyfriend was way less grossed out by it than I thought he would be. he actually thinks it's pretty hilarious and interesting, and makes jokes about it being a vampire shot glass (which even grosses ME out, LOL)
Ugh THAT is gross (though it totally makes sense!) I've been on tampons for years and I'd love to find an alternative because I figured inserting something full of toxic chemicals into your body is probably not a good idea, but I'm reluctant to give the period cup a try - I stay in the office all day and I don't know how to change in the public bathroom!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: September 13, 2017, 01:44:53 AM »
Brookebcollin, you may not need to change it during the day... Mine is fine from when I leave the house in the morning until when I get home at night, no emptying needed in that long block of time.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #303 on: September 13, 2017, 05:06:03 AM »
You can also buy sterilisation tablets. Stick in cold water, let dissolve, swirl the cup in it. I use them for my baby's bottles and teething ring, I assume they'd be fine for a menstrual cup.

rockstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: September 13, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
Brookebcollin, you may not need to change it during the day... Mine is fine from when I leave the house in the morning until when I get home at night, no emptying needed in that long block of time.

+1, I don't have to do anything with it during the day either, even on my heavy days. Having been discussing this on this forum for a while though, I know that is not the case for everyone.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: September 13, 2017, 03:29:40 PM »
Thanks all. I think I'll just do a good wash and peroxide soak until I have access to boiling it again! I will continue boiling regularly as that is what is recommended for mine, but it is reassuring to hear others stories.