Author Topic: Memory Foam Mattress, easy on the wallet  (Read 13512 times)

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Memory Foam Mattress, easy on the wallet
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:45 PM »
I tried out some memory foam mattresses today. I definitely thought the Temper Pedic Contour was easily the best of all of them. It was the most firm mattress and it was a great feeling gradually sinking into it.

It is also like $3,500 for a queen sized.

Any alternatives? Like, I'm talking about firm as firm can be memory foam. The soft stuff doesn't feel good at all. I've looked at toppers as potentially a good affordable option. As for the other competitors, you'd have to go through the hassle of delivery and trying it out, then shipping it back if it doesn't work out. I probably wouldn't ship it back, so best to get it on the first try.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Memory Foam Mattress, easy on the wallet
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
This one has great reviews, and is 8.25% of the price of the Temper Pedic.

http://amzn.to/2qjOHIA

Otherwise this is the one that the Frugalwoods bought and recommend: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HD9YYQ/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:54:33 PM by kpd905 »

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:46:44 PM »

Otherwise this is the one that the Frugalwoods bought and recommend: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HD9YYQ/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks like they bought the 8 inch model. They did an update recently and they still love it.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks like they bought the 8 inch model. They did an update recently and they still love it.

I tried the 8in, and it is Exceptionally Firm. Like, Really REALLY firm.

I like the Leesa, which is much softer and better for me as a curvy side-sleeper. I think the other internet direct-to-consumer mattresses (casper, tuft and needle, etc) are generally supposed to be a bit firmer. The Costco memory foam mattresses are popular around here and supposed to be a good value.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Foam density matters for lifespan, and Wayfair is much easier to shop mattresses on than Amazon as far greater detail on construction is provided.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:15 PM »
I went through this decision process recently and bought  a mattress from Addable.  From the research I did, it seemed to be the highest quality at a low price point (~$500, though I think I found a 5% off coupon somewhere).  I'm happy with it, but not floored with its comfort (it's certainly comfortable and I sleep well, but it's not OMGAMAZING).  I really want to try a Purple mattress but they're twice the cost and I'm not sure if I'd like it.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:26:58 AM »

Oh, that's right.  I had the thicker one bookmarked for myself.  Just to have one a little bit softer.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
I have a Tuft & Needle and can't recommend it enough. Great quality, very comfortable!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
We have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37LA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was ~$500 when we bought it. It's firm... firmer than my wife would like, though.

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »

Oh, that's right.  I had the thicker one bookmarked for myself.  Just to have one a little bit softer.

The odd thing about that model is that the thinner ones are rated firmer than the thicker ones. And yet both come in rolled up vacuum packs which gradually expand.

Is the chemistry different for the thinner ones? Or is there simply less material?

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks like
 they bought the 8 inch model. They did an update recently and they still love it.

I like the Leesa, which is much softer and better for me as a curvy side-sleeper. I think the other internet direct-to-consumer mattresses (casper, tuft and needle, etc) are generally supposed to be a bit firmer. The Costco memory foam mattresses are popular around here and supposed to be a good value.

I'm a back sleeper. And I've spent years sleeping on hard floors just fine, and on futons, all was fine.

What I really liked about the Tempur Pedic Contour was how it was like Silly Puddy. No other mattress was like that. And you gradually would sink into it, though not too much.

And obviously I'm looking for something similar that doesn't cost $3500.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »

The odd thing about that model is that the thinner ones are rated firmer than the thicker ones. And yet both come in rolled up vacuum packs which gradually expand.

Is the chemistry different for the thinner ones? Or is there simply less material?

I think its less material in the thinner mattresses. Possibly also a different ratio of memory to support foam. I think the 8in has 2 inches of memory foam, and it looks like the 10 in has 2.5 inches of memory foam.

I'm a back sleeper. And I've spent years sleeping on hard floors just fine, and on futons, all was fine.

What I really liked about the Tempur Pedic Contour was how it was like Silly Puddy. No other mattress was like that. And you gradually would sink into it, though not too much.

And obviously I'm looking for something similar that doesn't cost $3500.

I've never experienced a Tempur Pedic mattress, so I can't really speak to that. I can say that the Leesa doesn't have that 'memory foam' feel that other memory foam mattresses have. It feels more like my beloved fake-futon mattress that was a 'hybrid' cotton/coil mattress. The Leesa has more 'spring' or faster rebound than a memory foam mattress, but less than a spring mattress.

I found this mattress review/website helpful when I was shopping around: http://www.mattressnerd.com/leesa-review/

Infraredhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Infraredhead Art
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 06:23:52 AM »

We have ordered memory foam mattresses from Bed in a Box twice.  Our house guests now tend to sleep late. Much less expensive than a Tempur Pedic!  Our king size one is around five years old and we have experienced no sagging.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
Sams club (online) seems to have the best prices on memory foam mattresses.
But I want just a foam mattress so I can buy the memory foam topper separately, and replace it separately.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
We went with a topper.  Mattress itself is old as sin.  Topper lasts about 4 years I've found (at least the $60 ones at Target).

taiwwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Update: bought the IKEA Tussoy topper.

Of all of the ones I've tried, this one comes the closest to the tempur-pedic contour. I still haven't unboxed it, having just got back.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Just ordered this topper from o.co.
https://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Comfort-Dreams-4-inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper-with-2-Contour-Pillows/1862343/product.html

$152 shipped for a queen + 2 pillows.  Will hopefully get it Tuesday.

We just moved into an RV and the mattress is too firm for my taste.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 07:19:17 AM »
Just ordered a 3" Beautyrest memory foam topper for $97, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beautyrest-Studio-Collection-3-Ultimate-Cooling-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Topper/47310191.

Got back from a work trip where I slept amazingly, the hotel mattress was sooo comfortable (Beautyrest brand). Woke up incredibly stiff and sore being back home. I've been having posture issues and neck/back pain lately, and the dr mentioned it could be my mattress. Can't wait to fix that!

frances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »
Foam mattresses are full of flame retardants and other chemicals and off-gas for the first several years and are bad for human health. This is especially important for children, pregnant women, or those who are not yet done having their families. I plan to buy a wool mattress when it's time for a new one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/251480212/4-queen-wool-shikibuton-handmade-non?ref=shop_home_active_2

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
I purchased a Signature Sleep foam mattress and found it was insanely firm. It hurt my back at night. Ended up buying a $80 high density foam topper and now it's like a cloud. So worth the extra $ to get the topper.

nathan01xl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:44 PM »

My wife and I bought this exact model in January of 2016. It gets an endorsement from both of us, I am a back sleeper and she is a side sleeper. Holding up great so far, too.

Larsg

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 12:55:38 AM »
I have an environmentally friendly alternative that is sustainable and takes forever to wear out. There is a company that makes organic latex bedding and is free of all of the chemicals that conventional bedding has. The beds are expensive, a bit more than you have quoted here but, to start with you can try one of their bed toppers called La Noodle - no laughs. It is the best purchase we have ever made in our lives. We are now in our 50's and no matter how well you take care of yourself, at this age, age period begins to creep in with aches and pains that like to kick in when you sleep. This topper we bought is fantastic and it is the first time I have been able to sleep in almost any position, all through the night, pain free. I hate to get out of bed In the morning it is that comfortable. The company is called Cozy Pure - https://www.cozypure.com/mattress-pads-and-toppers/lanoodle-cozy-top-latex-topper?zenid=971b0c6e2795de13082ca203aef4b970. This is the link to the pad. After trying the pad, we went back and bought a bed and together they are an absolute dream. Now, the bed because it's a lot of latex, will need to air out for a few weeks but after that is fine. These beds do not need box springs so there is some savings there as you will have no need to replace that portion in 20 years. You may need to buy one of the bed frames to hold the mattress but they are reasonably priced and the products are very high quality.

I recommend starting with the pad just to test out the product and company. Also do your research on the chemicals in conventional bedding that off gas for years, not good.

Good luck!

Rachel_the_Lark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 05:10:57 AM »
+1 for Bed in a Box.  Although they really do mean a box which weighs a ton and is no a one-person job for getting it from front door to the bed (just guess how I learned that one :p )  But once it's set up...it's amazing.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
We bought the Arctic Dreams one in April, and so far both I and my very hot-natured husband love it. It's probably softer than the OP would like, but it gives plenty of support on our platforom bed and costs only $250 for a queen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L4ZWWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA we got the 10 inch.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 10:39:40 PM »
I know what you mean about the tempur. It's in a different class. Other so called memory foam is not even close to that comfort level. But from my friends who have them I learned that you get used to it in a little while and then you are absolutely unable to sleep comfortably anywhere else.

forever high

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 05:24:58 AM »
I am a manager of one of Chinese mattress companies and had some experience with American mattresses as well.
Our company ordered Casper, Leesa, Eve, Purple, Tempurpedic and some other mattresses from US and UK and analyzed it's contain to make some kind of relabeled replicas for Asian market.
Briefly, we found that Purple and Eve were the most interesting ones in terms of their contain - for instance, elastic foam layer in Purple and Leesa's Avena foam. They are pretty the same memory foam despite the fact that they have cooling features.
And people who tested those 2 liked them the most in terms of temperature and support. I don't know much about Zinus and Tuft Needle ones but from description I see here - they say that Tuft Needle is the best according to the review.
Zinus seems to be pretty standard memory foam mattress, yes, it is cheap but if money doesn't matter for you, then it is not a good option because it's top layer is memory foam which is hot and other 3 layers don't have cooling properties too.
My main point is if you are looking for memory foam - always look what is inside besides it. There always should be cooling layer
I don't know whether it helps you, I hope so.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 02:02:23 AM »
When my back started to go bad I decided to buy a memory foam mattress. I wasn't sure if it was going to help so I bought the cheapest one I could find. It was $200 for a 7" twin at Walmart. It was wonderful, although a little too hot.

However a twin wasn't big enough for when I had a "guest" so then I bought a 12" queen memory foam mattress at Costco. It was $600 + $100 for a frame on Amazon. It was horrible. It didn't have enough give and was just too stiff. It was also even hotter.

The cheaper, thinner mattress was so much more comfortable because it was more responsive to my body.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:04:34 AM by Anon in Alaska »

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
When my back started to go bad I decided to buy a memory foam mattress. I wasn't sure if it was going to help so I bought the cheapest one I could find. It was $200 for a 7" twin at Walmart. It was wonderful, although a little too hot.

However a twin wasn't big enough for when I had a "guest" so then I bought a 12" queen memory foam mattress at Costco. It was $600 + $100 for a frame on Amazon. It was horrible. It didn't have enough give and was just too stiff. It was also even hotter.

The cheaper, thinner mattress was so much more comfortable because it was more responsive to my body.
One must ask; how much do you weigh?   Is there a weight - mattress height relationship?  If not, what are the criteria for how tall of a mattress to buy??

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
We have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050JL32U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It was $225 for the King when we ordered it.

Super comfortable firm mattress.  We've had it for a year now and it is great.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 05:49:01 AM »

One must ask; how much do you weigh?   Is there a weight - mattress height relationship?  If not, what are the criteria for how tall of a mattress to buy??

The mattress should be several inches taller than you are. I'm only 5'7" so a regular 72" mattress is fine for me.
If you're over 5'9" I would get a 78"+ mattress. I'm fat, so the mattress sages more, which means that the middle of my back gets full support on every inch, and that's what's let me sleep without back pain when I sleep on my back. It's also soft enough that I can sleep on my side. I can't do either of those in the queen.

Also, you want a box spring that is either soft and expensive or old and almost falling apart, so that it sags more in the middle. A new inexpensive box spring won't have as much give, and you'll feel the wooden slats (or at least I do).

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »

The mattress should be several inches taller than you are. I'm only 5'7" so a regular 72" mattress is fine for me.
I meant a 7" vs 12" high mattress.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
I bought an OrthoAvant Calm Breeze California King memory foam matress. This purchase was FAR from being easy on the wallet, ridiculous cost ..BUT:

i put my hard earned $s where it counts in life, and sleep is a big deal to me. Laying on this matress is pure bliss, a completely superior experience to any sleeping system I've ever used.

In my case, $$ well spent.

Calvin K

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »
My wife and I went with Leesa and love it. It's been a good blend for us, since I like firm and she likes soft. If you don't mind me shilling on my first post here, I signed up to share a referral link with you if you're interested in Leesa. (I figured the MMM community would be one that understood me trying to earn $50 giving you a $100 off coupon.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:59:42 PM by Kusand »

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 05:51:27 AM »

I meant a 7" vs 12" high mattress.

Ah. I just measured and my "seven inch" mattress is actually a six inch thick mattress. I'm not sure if i was remembering the thickness wrong, if it's compressed, or if it was never as thick as it was supposed to be.

In case it is more than thick enough for me. It might well be that being thinner makes it sag more and that means it conforms to my back (or side) more and that is what makes it comfortable (to me).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!