Author Topic: Mapping neighborhood locations  (Read 3212 times)

FazJaxton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mapping neighborhood locations
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
My wife and I live in a rural area near the city where we work, and would like to move closer to reduce our commute, get us within biking distance of many places that we go, and maybe allow us to only own one car.  I am looking for an online tool to help map lots of places to see what neighborhoods would be best for us.

I would like to be able to search and save particular results on the map, then search for something else and add those too.  At the end, I would like to see where all of these places are, preferably with different icons to differentiate them.  For instance, I would like to see Aldi's locations, Costco, Libraries, Elemantary schools, parks/playgrounds, etc.

Does anyone know of a tool that does this well?  I tried google maps and couldn't figure out anything useful.  Mapquest was a little closer, but somewhat cumbersome to add, and all of the points look the same, so you can't tell what's a grocery and what's a library.  Any other tools for picking a location in a particular city would be great too!

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mapping neighborhood locations
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
Have you tried the Walkscore site?  Maybe it will be useful to you?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »
Google Earth?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »
ArcGisOnline.com

You can create a map of an area, add different map overlays (layers) to it that come pre-defined (like restaurants, etc.)

Plus, you can create your own text file by address or latitude/longitude to add your own data to the map.

And it's free if you don't have a lot of traffic to it.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »
ArcGisOnline.com

You can create a map of an area, add different map overlays (layers) to it that come pre-defined (like restaurants, etc.)

Plus, you can create your own text file by address or latitude/longitude to add your own data to the map.

And it's free if you don't have a lot of traffic to it.
Cool to know!  I can think of a few possible uses for this.  How, or why, would there be traffic to it/them?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Well, if you put it on a blog and that blog gets really popular, you'll be getting lots of traffic to the site.   Then you'll have to set up a payment plan.   Don't know what your plans are with such a map, so I thought you would want to know ahead of time to check that out if it applies.