Author Topic: Looking for a good stubble trimmer  (Read 2930 times)

dvdvrhs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for a good stubble trimmer
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Anyone have a stubble trimmer they like?

I have two different Conair ones through gifts and both times the blade has broken after about a year.
https://www.amazon.com/Conair-i-Stubble-Ultimate-Flexhead-Pivoting/dp/B004PXIR1W?th=1

I've had good luck with my Philips Norelco beard trimmer, but it doesn't get down to that 0.4-0.6mm level. All of the Philips Norelco stubble length ones have terrible reviews. Hoping for something better a mustachian has found...

triangle

• Stubble
Re: Looking for a good stubble trimmer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »
Is the goal of using this trimmer to look like they perpetually shaved 1 or 2 days earlier? Why not just go clean shaven altogether.  Or possibly get a mild double-edge (DE) razor and not shave closely in the evening beforehand so that the 5 o'clock shadow starts the next morning. 

dvdvrhs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
Is the goal of using this trimmer to look like they perpetually shaved 1 or 2 days earlier? Why not just go clean shaven altogether.  Or possibly get a mild double-edge (DE) razor and not shave closely in the evening beforehand so that the 5 o'clock shadow starts the next morning.

Yeah the goal is the 1/2 day earlier shave look. I also crave the speed of just using a trimmer vs a razor/cream.

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »
I've had the same Philips as you for about 3 years and have been very happy with it.

One thing - I wish it was USB chargeable. But not a biggie.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:21 AM »

DavidDoes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
I definitely recommend Wahl or Remington. I have an earlier model of this Remington that I've had for five years. I use it to cut my hair and my face. Nothing more frugal than trimming to nearly bald! :D

Avoid the "purpose-built" models (3-in-1 head and face trimmer, etc.).

I can't shave with a normal razor, so this thing has been a god-send.

niknak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 09:27:47 PM »
I have a cheapo Wahl buzzer with a bunch of different length attachments that I bought at Target probably 15 years ago. Put the 3/4" attachment for buzzing my head once a month and use the smallest size for keeping the beard really short. It doesn't do the fine edging and close shave well though. For that I have a cheapo battery operated travel buzzer from Amazon that works pretty well.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »
I have a Philips Hair trimmer series 5000. Adjustable between 0.5 and 20 mm. Has been working well for years.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 01:26:31 AM »
I highly recommend the Wahl Peanut for beard grooming and trimming. It's compact, powerful, and doesn't have batteries to die.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:20:48 PM by jpdx »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:37:36 AM »
I wouldn't go with anything but a Wahl.  Imho there is no one close to them. Mines at least 10 years old and most barber and beauty salons use them for a reason.